PDA

View Full Version : My Very 1st Veggie Burger

Jina
03-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone, well I've decided to (finally) embrace the vegetarian lifestyle. I have so many issues with "texture" and "consistency" of things, but I went ahead and gave the veggie burger a try. I had a Garden Veggie Sandwich from Backyard Burgers and, although it wasn't necessarily bad, I have to admit--it was quite different.

I truly wish that I could get over the whole texture thing, but after so many years, I just don't see it happening any time soon. I had to avoid looking at the thing as I ate it. :D However, today is my 1st day and I hope that I can keep this up. I'll probably be one of the "brown rice" people before long. ^_^

I couldn't go straight vegan yet due to my love of Nature's Valley Oats N' Honey bars. Isn't that horrible? I'll get there eventually. I just have to tell myself that it wasn't that bad and move on.

Thanks for listening. Has anyone tried the veggie burger from BK? (or maybe it's Mickey D's?) :dunno: I'll need a "fast food" fix every now and then. But hey, Subway's always an option.

Peace & Love

gigglezk
03-18-2005, 07:30 PM
stay away from mcdonald's and burger king's vegetarian burger. they are just nasty. :icon_headshake: i did like the veggie sub from subway though. oh, and i love the boca burger from Baker's but that restaurant is only in southern cali. sorry.

but let me add that i'm not a vegetarian. i'm a good old meat eater. but i tend to eat a lot of veggie stuff when i visit my best friend. hopefully, one day i'll make the switch up. but as for now i find swine too devine. :D

i'll ask my bestfriend what veggie alternative to meat she uses because whatever she uses is off the chain.

gigglezk
03-18-2005, 07:34 PM
ok here's what she uses

boca crumbles for tacos, chilis, etc.

morning star for hot dogs, bacon, sausage, veggie burgers, and pot pies.

for chicken stuff she suggests buying product from wholefoods market.

wcgraham
03-18-2005, 07:40 PM
You don't have to just stick to veggie burgers either...if you don't like them, it's okay. :smil3f9cf915b71bf:

I wouldn't eat a Burger King burger...not only is it nastly like gigglezk said, but they cook it on the same grill as their meat burgers (what's the point?!)

Sometimes it's easier to eat more beans rather than go with a meat sub. When I go to Taco Bell, I ask them to substitute bean for beef in all my food. Or you can try to put meat subs. in your beans to get used to them. I use the Morningstar Crumbles in chili, it's really yummy. Also, in lentil stew over rice. The point is to make sure you get your protein in!

gigglezk
03-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by wcgraham@Mar 18 2005, 01:40 PM

Sometimes it's easier to eat more beans rather than go with a meat sub. When I go to Taco Bell, I ask them to substitute bean for beef in all my food. Or you can try to put meat subs. in your beans to get used to them. I use the Morningstar Crumbles in chili, it's really yummy. Also, in lentil stew over rice. The point is to make sure you get your protein in!

yes that is so true and tasty. i almost always substitute my meat in buritos for beans. even when my bestfriend isn't around.

the next time you make a burito, try using some of bush's baked beans, the veggie style ones. man, that is so DELICIOUS food right there. mmm, now i know what i making for dinner.

best of luck sparkle.

China
03-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't like most veggie Burgers, but I love Boca products.

BK and Mickey's veggie burgers made me wanna throw up. :icon_headshake:

Jina
03-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks ladies for all of your helpful advice & suggestions. I just completed my first "vegetarian grocery shopping" and it was a complete and utter headache. ^_^ However, I was able to buy quite a few Morningstar products and their "buffalo wings" are pretty good. I know that it will just take some getting used to. Darn, I wish I had never even tasted the real thing. <_<

P & L

Melanizm
03-19-2005, 01:52 AM
I think Morningstar uses genetically modified soybeans (if you care, lol)...make sure you check your box for "Non-gmo" if you do care when buying soy products.

I just tried Gardenburger&#39;s vegan veggie medley burgers and they are GREAT. I mean I had to stop myself from eating more, lol. Boca&#39;s products are really good too.

You can always make your own "burgers" with TVP and beans and whatever spices and stuff you like.

swingbolder
03-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Boca burgers are pretty tasty. I was never a big fan of Morningstar burgers myself.

*MoSeSmIcHeLLe*
03-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Im a Boca-ho! I love em.

BK&#39;s veggie burger isnt veggie or good. Trust me I used to work there and saw how things were stored!

Ceela
03-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Congratulations on embracing your vegetarian lifestyle!

I grew up vegetarian AND non vegetarian (kinda ironic :lol: )

I prefer the following vegetarian &#39;meats&#39;:

Morning Star Farms
*links
*patties
*strips
*corn dogs
*chik patties
*grillers
*griller crumble (italian flavor is good on top of frozen cheese pizza)

Loma Linda
*big franks (personal favorite)
*skallops
* fri chik
*choplets

Worthington
*stakelets

Boca
*&#39;sausage&#39; patties
*hot dogs
I&#39;ll eat their burgers, but I don&#39;t care for them. I grew up eating grillers ;)

autumnleaves
03-22-2005, 07:29 AM
when i first went vegetarian i thought the morningstar and boca products were different, but a good different. After a while, your memory of what something tastes like will probably fade alittle. Then later on after I went vegan, I started to really forget what chicken and turky tasted like, probably because what you really remember is the seasoning, it&#39;s all in the seasoning. I almost thought I ordered real chicken at this restaurant because of the texture and the way it was seasoned..it seemed alittle too real lol..but alas it was tofu and I was like dang.. gotta go back to that place lol.

vinny_46
03-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Melanizm@Mar 18 2005, 05:52 PM
I just tried Gardenburger&#39;s vegan veggie medley burgers and they are GREAT. I mean I had to stop myself from eating more, lol. Boca&#39;s products are really good too.

Gardenburger is my fave, too.

mocha22
03-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Harvery&#39;s veggie burgers are amazing. If you have one in your area give it a try. It tastes and feels like a beef patty.

eri
03-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Melanizm@Mar 18 2005, 07:52 PM

say what?!?! i thought gardenburger used egg whites and cheese in their patties? veggie medley used to be my fave :wub: til the store stopped carrying them(and i decided to cut down on the eggs/dairy).

delta98
04-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Do any of you ladies know of an online store to purchase vegetarian foods from?

thanks in advance

Crimsontide
04-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know how to make a homemade veggie burger? Maybe if we make our own and add our own spices we would like veggie burgers better. I am not up to experimentation so if someone can give me a hand.

SassyDiva
09-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I agree morning star veggie burgers are really good.

Urbanite
09-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by *MoSeSmIcHeLLe*@Mar 21 2005, 01:35 AM
Im a Boca-ho! I love em.

BK&#39;s veggie burger isnt veggie or good. Trust me I used to work there and saw how things were stored!

I ate one before! I was like :puke2: .

MsShel330
09-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Gardenburger&#39;s Portabello Mushroom burger is my favorite.

Daughter-of-Diaspora
09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Melanizm@Mar 18 2005, 08:52 PM
I think Morningstar uses genetically modified soybeans (if you care, lol)...make sure you check your box for "Non-gmo" if you do care when buying soy products.

You can always make your own "burgers" with TVP and beans and whatever spices and stuff you like.

Really?? :( Darn, cause when I need a burger fix I always went for Morningstar. :doh

lotusheart
10-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have a good recipe for veggie burgers ( preferably non soy based)? I&#39;d like to make up a whole batch and freeze them for an easy,quick meal.

Snazzybrown
10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by lotusheart@Oct 1 2005, 01:53 PM
Does anyone have a good recipe for veggie burgers ( preferably non soy based)? I&#39;d like to make up a whole batch and freeze them for an easy,quick meal.

I have yet to try this, but I know you can cook some black beans and mix with bread crumbs for texture. You get a cup or two of beans and toasted crumbs. Stir or blend together, then mash and season like a regular meat burger. Then fry or bake. I love black beans and blk bean burgers. I can&#39;t wait to try it tonight. I&#39;ll be sure to post the results...no matter how ugly.

Snazzybrown
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
It turned out okay after about three tries. The first time, I had too much water and the beans wouldn&#39;t mesh. The second time, they were still too watery so I kept adding more toasted bread crumbs to absorb the water. Wasn&#39;t a good idea. The third time, I didn&#39;t add any water after taking beans from the pot, and I added the bread crumbs only when I was ready to squeeze them into a patty. I added too much sage though. But otherwise good.

ms_aunatural
10-11-2005, 01:34 PM
On my walk toward vegetarianism, again, I am trying to use processed foods and the already made burgers and the like, very sporadically. I don&#39;t want to get too into the whole convenience aspect. Plus, I want to learn to be able to make some mindful substitutions (like the substitution of beans etc.) instead. All that said, I do like the "cheese burger" from Boca, but that&#39;s the only one I like. Roasted Garlic and all those others don&#39;t taste so good to me.

I have yet to try Morning Star (though I guess I won&#39;t be if what Mel says is true) or Gardenburger.

What about the Smart Choice (I think that&#39;s the name) brand? Anyone have thoughts on that? I just used the original version TVP to make chili last weekend. It was to die for.

ETA: Jina, I see this thread was started back in March. How is it going? Are you still veg? Updates, updates. :)

ms_aunatural
10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ms_aunatural@Oct 11 2005, 08:34 AM
What about the Smart Choice (I think that&#39;s the name) brand?

The actual name is Smart Ground. Made by a company called Lightlife. I looked it up. :)

dnvrgrl
10-11-2005, 06:26 PM
For those interested in making their own veg-burgers, here is a website with a lot of recipes. I have not tried yet, but I&#39;m planning on it- soon.

Veg- burgers (http://vegweb.com/recipes/subs/index-subs-burgers.shtml)

When I get there, I&#39;ll post the results along with the ingredients.

ms_aunatural
10-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much. I saw about 7 recipes I really want to try.