PDA

View Full Version : Anemia

Midoria
02-05-2003, 04:46 AM
Does anyone else here have it? :(

spacetygrss
02-05-2003, 04:49 AM
Does anyone else here have it? :(

Iron deficiency anemia? If that's what you're talking about, then I'm raising my hand over here. It's actually THE reason that I'm no longer vegetarian. It's hard enough for me to keep everything straight while eating meat. Not eating meat was getting way too complicated.

Are you anemic? Do you take iron supplements?

Midoria
02-05-2003, 04:55 AM
Yes, I have iron-deficiency anemia. :(

I really hate it. I stopped eating red meat a long time ago, but now I eat it to help my iron intake. Sometimes it makes me ill because my body went without it for so long. It also makes my hair fall out which sucks at times. But the GNC is helping me with that.

It's actually getting out of hand, and I'm getting scared. I'm going to have to see a doctor soon because I get dizzy alot and sleep too much. All this despite the fact that I'm taking a large amount of iron.

elleebeme5
02-05-2003, 08:54 AM
I've had it off and on my whole life. I remember taking iron tablets in Elem school. I've never been a big meat eater but I love spinach and kale. I don't eat red meat or pork as a rule but I do try to eat liver every now and then. The last time it was really bad my hair got so dry it was totally unmanageable. Since that time (Spring 95), I have taken a Women's formula multivitamin with extra iron, calcium and zinc. With that, my numbers are on the low end of normal range but it's normal and I feel fine.

Jewells
02-05-2003, 11:09 AM
The last time that I went to the doctor and they did blood work, I was told that I was in need of some serious iron. I suffer from anemia often. I've been taking iron pills on occasion, maybe one a month or something like that. They constipate me too much. I don't feel as dizzy anymore and the last time I went to donate blood I was able to since my iron wasn't low. We'll see what happens. Maybe I won't have to take the vitamins anymore.

ravenqt
02-05-2003, 09:10 PM
The last time that I went to the doctor and they did blood work, I was told that I was in need of some serious iron. I suffer from anemia often. I've been taking iron pills on occasion, maybe one a month or something like that. They constipate me too much. I don't feel as dizzy anymore and the last time I went to donate blood I was able to since my iron wasn't low. We'll see what happens. Maybe I won't have to take the vitamins anymore.

I can relate to the dizziness. Every single time I get my annual physical, my iron is low and my doctor puts me on these red iron pills for 2 months :x . I'm due for my exam this month and I'm sure I will get "the look" from her as usual :( . She suggests that I take multivitamins but for some reason, I feel worse after taking them :?. Beef doesn't love me but I seem to be able to digest beef liver so I try to make a point of eating some when I can.

TeaKyoo
02-05-2003, 10:45 PM
[b]I've had an iron anemia all my life well since I started my period (12yrsold). I have an ice pica also which is a sign of anemia. I take Stress Formula + Iron. I have really heavy periods so I can take two Stress tabs a day. 18mg iron 2x daily

I will remain a vegetarian and just take my iron pills. I take iron with Vitamin C to help the iron absorb into my body better. Plus cooking in an iron cast skillet helps get iron in my system. I do all the tricks.

ZenDiva
02-06-2003, 01:54 AM
I've had this condition all my life as well. Currently , taking iron supplements along with my truck load of tricks. This time around has affected me more severly than when I was younger. My doctor has suggested cutting down my workouts ( which I hate ) but I'm complying with her wishes most of the time. I've also begrudgedly added red meat to my diet.