PDA

View Full Version : Tananarive Due's The Between

sonshinescoils
08-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Since it's summer (and I ain't got a job right now waiting for school to start) I've been reading quite a bit. So yesterday I went to the library to pick up The Between. I got into that book so deeply that I couldn't go to sleep last night until I finished it.

And I was not disappointed. I don't want to give the book away, but i really appreciated the tenuous divide between "reality" and "dreams". There was so much dimension and tension in their relationships. And much of the things that plagued Hilton (the protagonist) I've experienced at some time or another (since my mother died) in 2001.

Has anyone else read this book? Did it hit you? Or was it a dud?

<><

KinkyCoils
08-05-2003, 07:45 PM
edited. Double post. Sorry :D

KinkyCoils
08-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I finished reading it about two weeks ago. I really liked the book. The ending had me sad, but I knew ultimately what was going down, but it was still a blow.

sonshinescoils
08-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Yeah i know what you mean. It made me think about what the Haitian (i think) girl, Marguerite said in his dream: "Your last death will be in flames" or something like that. And it was. Pretty interesting. Some of the folks like his wife and Raul had me pretty frustrated cuz they weren&#39;t listening, you know?

<><

Laniza
08-05-2003, 11:02 PM
I&#39;ve read Ms. Due&#39;s The Living Blood and My Soul To Keep (both were EXCELLENT) but I haven&#39;t had a chance to read The Between yet. It sounds like a great book though! Maybe I&#39;ll check it out the next time I go to the library.

sonshinescoils
08-05-2003, 11:13 PM
I read The Living Blood first. That&#39;s what turned me on to her. I didn&#39;t even realize it was a sequel until later. It really stood alone very well.

<><

Laniza
08-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Aug 5 2003, 06:13 PM
I read The Living Blood first. That&#39;s what turned me on to her. I didn&#39;t even realize it was a sequel until later. It really stood alone very well.

<><
ITA. I loved the way that Due described everything from the characters to the landscape- simply breath-taking!

nzinga
08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I read My Soul to Keep first. I absolutely fell in love with Dawit. I couldn&#39;t wait for The Living Blood to be released. I read it in two days. I hope she develops the storyline further.

The Between was the last that I read. because I read the other two first, I was disappointed. I guess it was great, for a debut novel.

I have recommeded Due to everyone who&#39;s looking for a good book.