PDA

View Full Version : On Heat And Straightening

poitreenmoshun
04-03-2005, 02:32 PM
i was reading the pinned topic by deecoily...the heat is damaging. got it.
but...how else do acheive the "big fro"?? you wash your hair...it shrinks...how do you get it big again?? what do you all do?? :dunno:

napturallyme
04-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I have not done the BAA myself, but some people do a blow out with a blow dryer and some braid or flat twist their hair and pick. I've seen some done with the flat iron too

bbrown
04-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Ummm...I get my big fro by finger combing it out...and patting it down to make it even.

No heat.... :icon_headshake:

Heat= Damage

poitreenmoshun
04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Apr 3 2005, 10:34 AM
I have not done the BAA myself, but some people do a blow out with a blow dryer and some braid or flat twist their hair and pick. I've seen some done with the flat iron too

right....but without heat....how is it acheived??

napturallyme
04-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by poitreenmoshun@Apr 3 2005, 09:35 AM
right....but without heat....how is it acheived??

Large braids or flat twists and picking

poitreenmoshun
04-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bbrown@Apr 3 2005, 10:34 AM
Ummm...I get my big fro by finger combing it out...and patting it down to make it even.

No heat.... :icon_headshake:

Heat= Damage

my hair is extremely.....curly, tangled and uber nappy. finger combing doesnt' alwasy work for me. AND i'm tender headed. so combing is HECK!!! i look like :shocker: when i have to comb it out (especially dry!!)

blumoonbabe
04-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by poitreenmoshun@Apr 3 2005, 10:37 AM
my hair is extremely.....curly, tangled and uber nappy.

Hon, that sentiment goes for about 95% of the population here, hence the need for this site. You can either put your hair in large twists, plaits or single braids while damp immediately after detangling, and undo them when your hair is dry for a stretched out fro. however, if your hair is as "difficult" to deal with as you perceive it, maybe rocking a 'fro isn't an option you should excercise too often. Hope that helps.

klliles
04-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Yikes! Dont comb your hair when it is dry, especially if you are tenderheaded; mist it with water or comb it with conditioner in it. Combing it while dry can cause breakage and discomfort.

naturalay
04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Apr 3 2005, 02:37 PM
Large braids or flat twists and picking

I never use heat to have my BAA i do 4 big braids , take them out and i have my :afro:

poitreenmoshun
04-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Apr 3 2005, 10:43 AM
Hon, that sentiment goes for about 95% of the population here, hence the need for this site. You can either put your hair in large twists, plaits or single braids while damp immediately after detangling, and undo them when your hair is dry for a stretched out fro. however, if your hair is as "difficult" to deal with as you perceive it, maybe rocking a 'fro isn't an option you should excercise too often. Hope that helps.

isnt that the "mane" reason for having a natural?? LOL.
i cant braid, twist or any of those things. i'm trying to learn so that by the time i remove my kinky's, i can do something!

pookeylou
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I was able to get mine just with an old twist out.

No heat.

poitreenmoshun
04-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by klliles@Apr 3 2005, 10:45 AM
Yikes! Dont comb your hair when it is dry, especially if you are tenderheaded; mist it with water or comb it with conditioner in it. Combing it while dry can cause breakage and discomfort.

here's my prob with that one...winter months. NC is freezing and after your fro is good, you dont want to put a hat over it..at the same time...you dont want to go outside with a wet head.

thnx ladies for responding..i promise i'm not trying to be difficult!! i'm new to the natural thing and trying to learn what others do and then filter through and see whats best for my hair. :wub:

bbrown
04-03-2005, 03:07 PM
QUOTE(blumoonbabe @ Apr 3 2005, 10:43 AM)

i cant braid, twist or any of those things. i'm trying to learn so that by the time i remove my kinky's, i can do something!

__________________________________________________ _________

^^^^^
No, the main reason to go natural is so you can have a healthy head of hair....The hair that GOD blessed you with....it is a way to tell the world that you are no longer brainwashed into thinking in order to be beautiful that you have to "whiten" your self up and that NAPPY is BEAUTIFUL....

The Afro is just a perk......

With that said...you just may have to wait until summer time to wear a 'fro...if you are having that many problems...good thing is summer is just around the corner.

blumoonbabe
04-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by poitreenmoshun@Apr 3 2005, 10:52 AM

Well, um... I personally think that wearing a fro all the time would get boring, but that's just me. I've been natural for a pretty long time, and it's rare that I wear an afro, mostly because the style and upkeep for my length isn't really conducive to keeping a healthy head of hair. But, as you said, you're learning and all of the things you need to know will hopefully come to you over time, as well as some twisting/braiding/whatever kinds of styling skills as well. Good luck.

cheetarah198
04-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by bbrown@Apr 3 2005, 10:07 AM
QUOTE(blumoonbabe @ Apr 3 2005, 10:43 AM)

__________________________________________________ _________

^^^^^
No, the main reason to go natural is so you can have a healthy head of hair....The hair that GOD blessed you with....it is a way to tell the world that you are no longer brainwashed into thinking in order to be beautiful that you have to "whiten" your self up and that NAPPY is BEAUTIFUL....

The Afro is just a perk......

That reasoning isn't the main reason for going natural for everyone. For a lot of folks going natural really isn't about not trying to be eurocentric or "whiten" up. It just is what it is. Just my :2cents:

As for the BAA. I think how you achieve it really depends on your hair. some folks can get a BAA just by picking their hair out. That ain't me cause shrinkage laughs at a pickout. In order to rock my BAA (the meager one I have), I just use big twists to stretch out the hair, and then either finger comb or pick it out. Lately my BAA doesn't want to cooperate, cause it's not stretching as much and it shrinks up whether moisture hits it or not.

bbrown
04-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by cheetarah198@Apr 3 2005, 12:34 PM
That reasoning isn't the main reason for going natural for everyone. For a lot of folks going natural really isn't about not trying to be eurocentric or "whiten" up. It just is what it is. Just my :2cents:

As for the BAA. I think how you achieve it really depends on your hair. some folks can get a BAA just by picking their hair out. That ain't me cause shrinkage laughs at a pickout. In order to rock my BAA (the meager one I have), I just use big twists to stretch out the hair, and then either finger comb or pick it out. Lately my BAA doesn't want to cooperate, cause it's not stretching as much and it shrinks up whether moisture hits it or not.

As you can see..I listed the main reason for going natural as having healthy hair.....the other part is me giving her my point of view...and I'm sticking by it.... ;)

YoGirlToo
04-03-2005, 05:54 PM
i did the heat thing before- i might as well got aperm- it was just as damaging- i don't recommend heat over long periods of time- but whatever floats your boat

sillygirl
04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I also have very curly hair with 600% shrinkage (basically for every 6 inches, only 1 inch shows after washing)

I don't make a habit of wearing a baa because the only way to do it with my hair is with heat. I use flat irons because they are ionic and you can control the heat with them. But if you don't want to use heat, I'd probably agree with the person who said you can't wear the baa's that often but whenever I want to go retro, I will.

You can get a medium sized baa if you wash your hair in plaits, dry them in plaits and then use a pick to stretch out.

I generally do that but cornrow the front hairline, just because the hair is not big

Try looking at a fashion slave's album, she has pics of fro with and without heat, they both look fab.

Shanna
04-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I make big braids or twists, leave them overnight, mist them with water in the morning, take them down, then pick them out. Can't avoid SOME shrinkage though, so it may not look as big as others. :)

Moderator W
04-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by poitreenmoshun@Apr 3 2005, 06:37 AM
my hair is extremely.....curly, tangled and uber nappy. finger combing doesnt' alwasy work for me. AND i'm tender headed. so combing is HECK!!! i look like :shocker: when i have to comb it out (especially dry!!)

When your hair is wet (after it has benn detangled with conditioner on it and rrinsed out), put it in several large twists to dry. Or, use "banding" (do a search on this).

Your hair dries stretched out this way. Then, you can pick it out, and shape it into a fro without so much tangling. If you rebraid or twist at night, it will sty this way for days until you wet it again.

poitreenmoshun
04-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by bbrown@Apr 3 2005, 01:37 PM
As you can see..I listed the main reason for going natural as having healthy hair.....the other part is me giving her my point of view...and I'm sticking by it.... ;)

i didn't take it negatively. i see your point. but healthy hair was not my intention when i first started growing my hair out. it was outright rebellion against people's opinions about my hair and the styles i wore. plus i wanted something new. as i am learning, healthy hair, strong, cultural pride, etc. are becoming a part of my hair experience. i decided to go natural also bc i got tired of putting chemicals in my hair. and realized that if God wanted me to have bone straight hair he would've given me bone straight hair. the afro comment was a tensy little bit of a joke. but i love fros and i wanted one which was another reason i decided to go natural. but its good. i like it when ppl stick to their guns!! Strong black women of the world unite and take over!!! ^_^

bbrown
04-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Girl, I know you were joking..I didn't think you took anything negatively......your reasons for going natural..sound a lot like my reasons for going natural....:)

southerncurl
04-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I wear a BAA everyday..I dont get bored with it, I think I would get very bored with anything else tho'

I mainly band my hair after washing and something I band it dry.
I do blow outs sometimes too.
even though I have serious shrinkage, I cant help but wear my hair out and wild as possible, it just matches my personality.

I know that heat is damaging and so is this red dye i'm about to put in my hair...what else is new??
I'm perm free, not style free.

Melanizm
04-04-2005, 11:58 PM
picking dry hair out can be just as damaging as heat. :dunno:

Only1biancab
04-05-2005, 05:48 PM
:smil3f9cf95099cff:

Originally posted by bbrown+Apr 3 2005, 11:37 AM-->

[/b]
I didn't go natural for that, LOL. Or any of these either...
<!--QuoteBegin-bbrown@Apr 3 2005
The hair that GOD blessed you with....it is a way to tell the world that you are no longer brainwashed into thinking in order to be beautiful that you have to "whiten" your self up and that NAPPY is BEAUTIFUL....

:dunno:
Anyways, I can&#39;t get a BAA or understand what Ben Wa&#39;s definition of a blowout is. But I get a medium-sized fro from braiding wet hair into big plaits at night and letting air dry. I undo the plaits in the morning and there ya go, a fro twice the size of my normal one.

masoesa
04-05-2005, 08:59 PM
thnx ladies for responding..i promise i&#39;m not trying to be difficult!! i&#39;m new to the natural thing and trying to learn what others do and then filter through and see whats best for my hair.

I feel you girl. It is hard if you can&#39;t braid, I am not too good at it myself but I can do it. Hopefully you can take twirl two strands of hair around each other, that is a twist. It&#39;s very easy, you don&#39;t have to part, jus take a part of your hair, part it into 2 and twist them around each other.
Do not use too many products, your naps should just be smooth. Have a nice dream and when you wake up, take the twists out. That&#39;s also very easy, you just untwist them. and then separate your hair with your vingers. Like you want to take out something that is mixed up in those crinkles. You don&#39;t need a comb, you certainly don&#39;t need heat. Play with it and if you want to make a nice round fro, throw a scarf (silk) over your hair for a minute and carefully slide it off your head. (A great tip from neosoul). Good luck and stay away from heat.

muchfaith
04-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by poitreenmoshun@Apr 3 2005, 06:55 AM
here&#39;s my prob with that one...winter months. NC is freezing and after your fro is good, you dont want to put a hat over it..at the same time...you dont want to go outside with a wet head.

thnx ladies for responding..i promise i&#39;m not trying to be difficult!! i&#39;m new to the natural thing and trying to learn what others do and then filter through and see whats best for my hair. :wub:

:smil3f9cf95099cff: But hay girly !! :D :D NC in the house !!

Ummm I dont do the BAA but I find that it&#39;s always best after i take our cornrolls or twist !!

poitreenmoshun
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by muchfaith@Apr 6 2005, 03:52 AM
:smil3f9cf95099cff: But hay girly !! :D :D NC in the house !!
Ummm I dont do the BAA but I find that it&#39;s always best after i take our cornrolls or twist !!

reppin da durtee!!!
:Cool_049:

southerncurl
04-06-2005, 01:58 PM
where ya&#39;ll NC nappies be at?....I never see you.