PDA

View Full Version : New Or Not?

tran68
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I bought my TH new, it's always been my preference. Growing up our first house was new but the others were always older. I guess I wanted new because I didn't want to have all the issues that can arise from previous owners, bad or lax inspectors, etc....but I'm totally priced out of the new home market in my area, unless I just want a gargantuan townhome! :huh: Btw, anyone have one? :lol: I just don't want to hear my neighbors running up and down the stairs or makin out or whateva they got goin on, ya feel me?? :P

So....in my preliminary search I've seen a few single family homes (online) that look immaculately kept, 4 or so years old that I can actually AFFORD!! :) What's more the basements are finished and the color schemes are pretty neutral and they have the hardwoods that I want, Corian countertops, sitting room off the MBR, nice decks, etc.....

Please provide your experiences with purchasing new and older homes alike!

Thanks!

dembasamba
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I think it depends on your needs and likes. Growing up in Brooklyn, I always leaned towards the uniqueness, quirks and character that you can get from an older home--like early 20th century even. I prefer brick or stone front houses and a brownstone is my dream house. It's funny to me that you consider a 4 year old house old!

That said, my dh and I just purchased a home in PA that is 10 years old. It is still considered "new" as it is from the same "series" of homes built by the local builder and located in a development. (The new homes tend to be clustered in planned communities, whereas the older homes are closer to downtown.) This is not our preference. We looked at a lovely older home in the same price range but decided against it. The older home needed some work and really felt like a "forever home." The new house, is just that, a house. We chose it for that reason. Resale value is a high priority for us as we're going to be moving in the next 4 years or so. New homes in the planned community go up at predictable rates. Older homes are harder to sell and often require investment. (In my town there are charts you can look at which list selling prices for neighborhoods.)

So, I would look to your future plans to help you chose between the two options. I know you mentioned the possibility of relocation.

blackluvdmom
04-06-2005, 05:54 PM
My dh and i bought an older home. Our first home was about 30? years old and the one we are in now is over 50. In prince georges county maryland where i live it is very expensive to purchase a newly built home. The home i live in now has about 4500 sq ft of living space. For that in a newly built home i would have to spend over $450,000 and we could not eat or heat a home that costs that much. I don't know about where you live but here in MD i think the older homes are the better purchases. The new homes go up way to quickly for me and they all look the same bulit on lots that are too small. Of course that just my be hear in maryland. HTH

tran68
04-06-2005, 06:27 PM
we're in the most expensive County in the DC area...take a guess?? ;)

This home will be my permanent home in Virginia (the return on my TH will pay almost 1/2 of what my new one will cost)....I do plan on possibly moving to California when the kids are grown in 10+ years, or Florida or Arizona, I just don't know yet...... far-off dreams and I haven't visited either in a long while but I won't be selling, renting maybe but it will be MINE nonetheless. :)

The kids and I have just outgrown the TH and we need more space, it's not like you can knock out walls, etc...when you are attached to someone else's house. :P

synergy
04-06-2005, 06:49 PM
It really depends on your location and your needs. I plan to sell my home in the next few years so I decided to go for a new all brick home which will drive a high resale value. I love the character of older homes but me being a single woman- I'm not ready for the upkeep on a 10+ year home.

China
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dembasamba@Apr 6 2005, 05:08 PM
I think it depends on your needs and likes. Growing up in Brooklyn, I always leaned towards the uniqueness, quirks and character that you can get from an older home--like early 20th century even. I prefer brick or stone front houses and a brownstone is my dream house.

Same here! For those in DC, I would love to live on or near U Street in NW. Can't afford it though. :blush: