PDA

View Full Version : A Good Marinade

tran68
08-12-2003, 08:02 PM
anyone? School's about to start next week and I need to get our meal plans together....can ya tell? I've decided to do meat meals...salmon and marinated chicken breast twice a week and try to do vegetarian dishes the rest of the week.....lawd have mercy.....I'm going to visit the vegetarian recipe thread for that one! I'll be bringing in whatever's leftover from dinner (or a salad of some sort) for lunch and the kids will either pack lunch or buy depending on what's on their school menu.

So.....any marinade ideas?

aquababie19
08-12-2003, 08:13 PM
italian dressing...my all time fav!
dale's
those by mc cormick's
orange, lemon or lime juice ( for chicken)

winnie
08-12-2003, 11:40 PM
What will you be using the marinade for? (ie to tenderize, add flavor or both) I prefer to make my own b/c you don't get all of the "extra" stuff. For salmon, I like to do a mix of fresh grated ginger root, garlic, onion, rice wine vinegar, soy or fish sauce, and a little honey or brown sugar. For chicken I like a combo of olive oil (you only need a little), pineapple juice, loads of garlic and herbs. Let it set to infuse the oil before using. If you don't have much time, pound the chicken with a mallet first.

wannabenappy
08-12-2003, 11:53 PM
If you're pressed for time Lawrys has a line of great tasting marinade. I especially like the Jerk marinade they make.

godivabap
08-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Garlic and lime is really good on chicken or fish. Also soy sauce, honey and tobasco or cayenne pepper make a good sweet/spicy combo. Don't forget that you can definitely marinate vegetables and suate or grill them for your vegetarian meals!

dembasamba
08-13-2003, 01:30 AM
Olive oil, crushed garlic, crushed fresh herbs, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil (yum!), mustard seed or mustard, crushed onions, are the usual ingredients to all of my marinades. I just randomly choose from this list with a dash of this and that and that's it.

kinkykhick
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Balsamic Vinegar,
it's good on meat, poultry, veggies & fish.

celine
09-09-2003, 03:15 PM
For chicken as for fish, you can use lemon juice, mustard, onions cut in thin trips and pepper. This marinade is used in Senegal for a meal (with fish or chicken) called "yassa"; it's eaten with rice. Just delicious!

Celine

tran68
09-09-2003, 03:50 PM
one thing...what about the sodium content of your suggestions? :unsure:

celine
09-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Sep 9 2003, 04:50 PM
one thing...what about the sodium content of your suggestions? :unsure:
Well, in fact I don't really know; but you can salt the marinade as you want and thus limit the sodium quantity in your seasoning.

Celine