PDA

View Full Version : Hair Will Not Snap Back After Heat Application



BahamianQT
04-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone, I know that this site doesn't endorse the use of any heating applications to the hair, however, my curiosity led me to do this 2 months ago. I have been growing natural since Nov. 2003 when I did the big chop. My hair is now a rough 6 inches all over and back in february I decided to go to a hairdresser to have it temporarily straightened just for a new look. She shampooed my hair with Design Moisturizing shampoo and then proceeded to blow dry/hot comb/flat iron my hair until it was so silky smooth it looked like I had a "fresh perm". I was very satisfied with the results, but when it came to wash the naps back in, they didn't appear. My hair is naturally type nappy/b and right now it is a huge mess. I cannot rock the fro that I used to because my hair is no longer kinky. It is thick at the roots due to new growth, however the rest of the hair is straighter than it should be. The hairdresser did suggest that I should try soaking my hair in vinegar and that would help my texture return, however, that did not work. In fact, my scalp started to burn! I am extremely sad because I absolutely loved my hair and now I feel that I have ruined it. I feel that my only choice is to cut it off and start over again.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Ebony
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
You pretty much have to transition again.

Get monthly snips until you're back to your natural texture or do a big chop to your new growth. Good luck.

mydestiny
04-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I don't know what to say but I am very sorry that happened to you.
I personally have heard do not use vinegar because it won't do anything to bring your naps back.

How many itmes have you washed it since then?
I have heard of htis happening to a few other women and their naps did not grow back because the heat perm damaged the hair- they had to cut it all off.

Another question- Did you blw dry, flat iron and hot comb all at the same time?

BahamianQT
04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by mydestiny@Apr 13 2005, 06:00 PM
I don't know what to say but I am very sorry that happened to you.
I personally have heard do not use vinegar because it won't do anything to bring your naps back.

How many itmes have you washed it since then?
I have heard of htis happening to a few other women and their naps did not grow back because the heat perm damaged the hair- they had to cut it all off.

Another question- Did you blw dry, flat iron and hot comb all at the same time?

805485


I have washed it at least once every week since then. Yes, all the heat was applied at the same time. I think that the only option I have is to transition again as suggested. This really hurts; but hey, I learned my lesson....if I want a straight look, I'll use weave/wig.

napsnap
04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear that BahamianQT.......to your advantage, if you decide to BC at least you know the patience it takes for natural hair and it's just that.......HAIR.......it will grow back. I had to start over a year ago due to a bad hair dye job. A year later, my hair is longer than it was this same time last year and healthier. :wub:

tjolims
04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but the old aphorism rings true here... "If you give a dance, you gotta pay the band." You fought nature, now nature's fighting back.

Your only choice is to cut it off and start over again.

mocha22
04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
The same thing happened to my sister. You will just have to start all over again. Your hair was damaged with all the heat that was applied. :(

Mrsdawsondn
04-13-2005, 11:45 PM
so sorry to hear of your experience :hug:

Well we live and we learn and I'm sure your hair will be healthier than before.

canadiana
04-14-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry this happened to your hair....using heat on the hair is a serious matter and I think some people don't realize just how damaging it can be....I have to thank my lucky stars that when I got my hair straigtened a few months ago, I didn't really know about the dangers of heat and now I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. :icon_headshake:

Button2004
04-14-2005, 12:24 AM
:smil3f9cf915b71bf: Sorry this happened to you. :hug:

If you need some encouragement with the transition, feel free to pm me.

jmnappy
04-14-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry for what happened to you. I've been there too. The best thing you can do at this point is to trim the damaged ends gradually and keep your hair conditioned.

jolie76
04-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Live and learn. I've been where you are - TWICE! This is a hard way to learn the lesson about heat. Still, cheer up. I'm proof that your naps will grow back. :hug:

I transitioned with braids and lots of pulled up hairstyles. That way I could look at my nappy new growth and pin up the damaged hair. Roller sets were a nice change too. Good Luck and keep you head up. Smiles make any hairstyle look better. :D <that my Pollyanna impression for the day :) >

lovelyleo
04-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by BahamianQT@Apr 13 2005, 10:56 PM
She shampooed my hair with Design Moisturizing shampoo and then proceeded to blow dry/hot comb/flat iron my hair until it was so silky smooth it looked like I had a "fresh perm".
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

805479


First, I am not even a professional beautician and I KNOW that is WAY TOO MUCH HEAT :icon_headshake: . That lady need to be slapped up side her head. Second, I pressed my hair for a long time (since I was about in the 5th grade now a sophomore in college) and my kinks will never come back to the hair I had on my head. The best advice I can give you is too CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION...NO POO every chance you get (wash but with only conditioner). I have been doin the no poo method for about 3 weeks now and my hair has gotten pretty nappy but I know my hair will never be the same. Third the beautician need to be beat with the nappy stick :icon_twak: for advising the use of vinegar to get your curls back. Vinegar for clarifying, now thats a go. Where she go to beauty school at. They need to revoke her :soapbox: liscense.

cheleskilove
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408

Dee posts this at the top of the page. It&#39;s so true, I did it while transitioning..flat ironing with one of those NEW steam flat irons. My hair was so stripped,it would not respond anymore to anything.Had to snip off relaxed ends and begin the big cut season. Hang in there and MOISTURIZE!

belgravet
04-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by lovelyleo@Apr 13 2005, 08:11 PM
First, I am not even a professional beautician and I KNOW that is WAY TOO MUCH HEAT :icon_headshake: . That lady need to be slapped up side her head. Second, I pressed my hair for a long time (since I was about in the 5th grade now a sophomore in college) and my kinks will never come back to the hair I had on my head. The best advice I can give you is too CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION...NO POO every chance you get (wash but with only conditioner). I have been doin the no poo method for about 3 weeks now and my hair has gotten pretty nappy but I know my hair will never be the same. Third the beautician need to be beat with the nappy stick :icon_twak: for advising the use of vinegar to get your curls back. Vinegar for clarifying, now thats a go. Where she go to beauty school at. They need to revoke her :soapbox: liscense.

805838


ITA-I had my regular beautican do my BC and she even told me that applying heat to natural hair can permanently straighten it. It&#39;s too bad your beautican didn&#39;t tell you what could REALLY happen.

morena23
04-14-2005, 03:00 PM
She used way too much heat. My hair dresser sat me under the hooded dryer, then air dry, then applied a hair serum, then straightened and curled in one step. He told me that too many heat sources damage natural and chemically processed hair.

You will probably have to snip at the straight parts until it grows back, and please be careful with heat. It&#39;s bad for any type of hair if used the wrong way.

xmasgurl
04-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I&#39;m really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you learned a hard lesson. Your hair cannot take a lot of heat. I did the same thing about a month ago but luckily my hair snapped right back. But I also learned that I didn&#39;t want to take that chance again. So try roller sets, regular trims & deep conditioners until you get back to "normal". And when we get the urge to go "straight" let&#39;s just go for the wig or the weave for a little change of pace :P

Just keep your head up, it&#39;s only hair, it will grow back.

xmasgurl
04-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I&#39;m really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you learned a hard lesson. Your hair cannot take a lot of heat. I did the same thing about a month ago but luckily my hair snapped right back. But I also learned that I didn&#39;t want to take that chance again. So try roller sets, regular trims & deep conditioners until you get back to "normal". And when we get the urge to go "straight" let&#39;s just go for the wig or the weave for a little change of pace :P

Just keep your head up, it&#39;s only hair, it will grow back.

sacredstone
04-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Condition, Condition, Condition. And hope and pray.

I can do anything to my hair and it snaps back. I could use extreme heat daily and it still would never get as straight as I wanted and always revert back to napps way before I was ready, so the heat damage thing really boggles my mind :dunno: Hell my permed hair was nappy!

I would have loved to have permanently straight hair back in my perming days. If somebody woulda told me I could do it with a pressing comb just short of hot enough to burn out my hair you could best believe I would have tried it. I wouldnt have cared if it was heat damage or what you called it as long as it was straight.

Kinkygirl
04-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Didnt happen to me and I&#39;ve been flat ironing off and on for about 2 years. I just did some two-strand twist on damp hair and every single one of my twist shrank down to my head like itty bitty worms. I dont have any hair on which the texture has changed. I can understand how this might happen to some people but it hasnt happened to me. Da kink is still alive!

Kinkygirl

littlefish
04-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I was very satisified with the results.

then ...


I am extremely sad because I absolutely loved my hair and now I feel that I have ruined it. I feel that my only choice is to cut it off and start over again.


Well, I guess it&#39;s a good thing you were "very satisfied" with your straightened results, because that&#39;s what you have now. Sorry to be so blunt, but at this point -- with all we know now from the posts on this site and Dee&#39;s warning up there for all to read (or ignore, it seems) -- I can&#39;t believe there are still those who profess to love their natural hair so much only to then go and straighten it with so much heat. I mean, honestly, didn&#39;t you think allowing someone -- and yes, you allowed it if you didn&#39;t stop her -- to "blow dry/hot comb/flat iron" your hair was excessive? Did you really think your beautician cared whether your natural texture would come back? You wanted your hair straight and she straightened it alright.

It&#39;s not that I&#39;m not sympathetic. I do feel for you. I&#39;m just ... incredulous that this keeps happening.

There&#39;s no potion or trick to get your natural texture back. You&#39;ll have to start over. Time and growth are what you need.


littlefish

napnit
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
I&#39; am sorry to hear what happen to your hair, I think you should condition, condition, and moisturize your hair and cut the ends. It won&#39;t happen over night but I think if you do this your hair texture will come back. This is a lesson learned about extreme heat to natural hair .

knottygirl
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by littlefish@Apr 14 2005, 04:17 PM
then ...
Well, I guess it&#39;s a good thing you were "very satisfied" with your straightened results, because that&#39;s what you have now. Sorry to be so blunt, but at this point -- with all we know now from the posts on this site and Dee&#39;s warning up there for all to read (or ignore, it seems) -- I can&#39;t believe there are still those who profess to love their natural hair so much only to then go and straighten it with so much heat. I mean, honestly, didn&#39;t you think allowing someone -- and yes, you allowed it if you didn&#39;t stop her -- to "blow dry/hot comb/flat iron" your hair was excessive? Did you really think your beautician cared whether your natural texture would come back? You wanted your hair straight and she straightened it alright.

It&#39;s not that I&#39;m not sympathetic. I do feel for you. I&#39;m just ... incredulous that this keeps happening.

There&#39;s no potion or trick to get your natural texture back. You&#39;ll have to start over. Time and growth are what you need.
littlefish





806890

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg, this is was I was thinking all the way down reading these posts, and when I got to this one, I almost fell on the floor in laughter. This is the exact thing that was going through my mind.
And, I am the most empathetic person in this world. But, I just can not understand for the life of me, after all these posting here regarding heat to the naps,and excessive use of curl definers to the napy, whyyyyyyyyyy would we experiment like that. Just why. :dunno: LOL, i don&#39;t understand :lol: . Why would we take our hair through such a process and think its gonna act right? Omg, this is funny, but sad at the same time. Oh well, like others said, its JUST HAIR. The dag-on-beautician, couldn&#39;t she have spoken up? Hah, of course not, she doesn&#39;t care.

Good luck to you sis.

nappyscorp
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
In one of the yahoo groups I read about this woman who had the same problem. The advice she got was to no-poo as much as possible. They also told her to wear her hair in protective styles. They told her that her hair should be back to normal within two months. I think you should trim as you would regularly in the first place. I think you should give your hair time to recover to see what its going to do. Don&#39;t stress just give your hair some tlc because it sounds like its been through alot. Take this as a learning experience and stay positive. This just goes to show that if you&#39;re good to your hair, it will be good to you. So good luck and just see what happends. Peace

Whitley Gilbert
04-14-2005, 11:38 PM
This happened to me when I first became natural. A small section in the back wouldn&#39;t revert back and that was the last time I straightened my hair.

Even with the bluntness, Littlefish is right. You should really listen to what she is saying.

This has happened to a lot of people. As for your hair maybe it will revert back with time, but it isn&#39;t likely, you may have to cut a bit.

Sorry and learn from this please!

Only1biancab
04-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Well, water is responsible for hair changing back to its natural texture. So I suggest that you look into humectants and ways to get your hair&#39;s moisture level back up. Honey, sorbitol, glycerine are all good humectants. Look into getting a conditioner that has humectants in it or look up a mix in the Homemade Products section. Your hair may not be able to keep in water even after it soaks it up from the air, so also look up some info about oils to seal the water inside your strands. Since your info says that you&#39;re in Florida, oils may help you out the most. I know where I am, my hair has been crunchy lately without something to keep water in.

Like someone else suggested, protective styles may help your hair from losing water. I would try braids, twists, or something like that. OH and get some sunblock for your hair. They have that available. I think Aveda makes one, but I&#39;m not sure. Don&#39;t let the sun steal your water.

It may never actually come back to its original texture, but at least you can transition and get back what you had. I really hope that things work out for you. It&#39;s hard to see all your hard work go out the window over one thing.

BahamianQT
04-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I have no problem doing a BC because that is what I did a year ago and I can rock that as good as anyone else. I&#39;d rather just do that to get it over with. In response to the posts about knowing better, I did not go into the beautician and just put my hair in her hands. I had a consultation before I had the work done and I specifically asked her about the risks of my hair reverting. (Of course) She explained to me that the heat will not permanently damage my hair and she also used a heat serum to add protection. The fact that she&#39;s straightened my sister&#39;s natural hair previously with no ill effect also made me feel better. And no, I did not have time to read every post on this website but yes, I did learn my lesson and it is not the end of the world for me. Thank you for everyone&#39;s advice. All I wanted to know was if there was any hope for the ends before I chopped it off. Thanks!

Skeeee-Weeeee my sorors!
Zeta Upsilon, Fall 2004
SuPEARLative

tonyelle
04-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Sometimes we have to live and learn from our experience. If you love your hair, why did you decided to straighten. I am not going to hit a person when they are down, so much love. And it will grow back, it&#39;s hair! ;)

BahamianQT
04-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by tonyelle@Apr 14 2005, 10:27 PM
If you love your hair, why did you decided to straighten.

807358


I straightened simply to change things up a bit; for a temporary (1-2 weeks) new look.

Skeeee-Weeeee my sorors!
Zeta Upsilon, Fall 2004
SuPEARLative

Janessa
04-15-2005, 03:54 AM
Try a protein deep conditioner maybe?

Yeah that is waaaaaaaaaay too much heat! Sorry that happened to you! :(

Natural Kinks
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by littlefish@Apr 14 2005, 09:17 PM
then ...
Well, I guess it&#39;s a good thing you were "very satisfied" with your straightened results, because that&#39;s what you have now. Sorry to be so blunt, but at this point -- with all we know now from the posts on this site and Dee&#39;s warning up there for all to read (or ignore, it seems) -- I can&#39;t believe there are still those who profess to love their natural hair so much only to then go and straighten it with so much heat. I mean, honestly, didn&#39;t you think allowing someone -- and yes, you allowed it if you didn&#39;t stop her -- to "blow dry/hot comb/flat iron" your hair was excessive? Did you really think your beautician cared whether your natural texture would come back? You wanted your hair straight and she straightened it alright.

It&#39;s not that I&#39;m not sympathetic. I do feel for you. I&#39;m just ... incredulous that this keeps happening.

There&#39;s no potion or trick to get your natural texture back. You&#39;ll have to start over. Time and growth are what you need.
littlefish

806890



:smil3f72836ee752e:

@napnit - PLEASE don&#39;t give her this type of encouragement. Plenty of women have already said that they had to start over from doing the same thing and damaged hair is damaged hair - it&#39;s a wrap! It would be better to just start over with fresh new healthy naps anyway.

mlduvall
04-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry this happened to you :( . Yep...there are a LOT of posts on this forum, so of course you didn&#39;t have time to read all of the post (in particular the ones that warn against heat), so I feel you on that note. Sounds as if you&#39;re taking it as a hard lesson learned in stride. Hopefully someone else will come across this post before they decide to heat in order to avoid the same thing. So press on sistah...(not literally, but you know what i&#39;m sayin&#39; :P ). Good luck with your hair!

Monica, :afro: :wub:

netta1
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh well! You did it, so what, its over, and you learned.

Gon head and rock that brand new TWA girl!

guapa1
04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Echo the words of Netta, learn from it and move on. I done the same thing a few months back. Why? Yes it was curiousity and I do love my napps. Also, my hair is very thick, and I stupidly thought that it wouldn&#39;t damage my hair.

Lovelymenace
04-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Hey lady, Im sorry about that. Its a shock isnt it?

I&#39;m in the same boat as you and new to this site. So I just learned that that my overprocessed hair has g2g! I did a BC a few years back, I dont plan on doin it again. However, I will snip it off gradually and maybe rock the braid out do. Good luck! It&#39;ll be aight. ^_^

~LM

nnebekee
05-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Wait a minute...so what if you use just a ceramic iron, will your naps come back afterward?

sweetwhisper
05-11-2005, 08:10 AM
No. It depends on how much heat you use. My asian friend has a ceramic iron which heats up to like 220 c or something. That would burn your hair.