PDA

View Full Version : Budget...

tjolims
04-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm not fantastic at keeping to my budget...getting better all the time, but not wonderful, by any means.

Anyone here have problems sticking to a budget? Or are you really good at keeping to it? How?

giggleblue
04-14-2005, 08:07 PM
i hate the B word -- budget!!! it makes my blood curl... right now, being in college, i have to budget my money to make sure i can pay my bills. i tend to refer to this as correctly appropriating funds. i don't like to budget, i don't use the word budget, and i will forever refuse to refer to my money appropriation as a budget... sorry i'm a little compulsive about the subject...

but umm. what helps me appropriate my funds correctly is the general lack of money. i prioritize what needs payment first i.e. bills before the movies or eating out. if i have money left after i pay my bills including paying myself (saving), i will get a little something, but only after i'm done with my obligations...

tjolims
04-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by giggleblue@Apr 14 2005, 01:07 PM
i hate the B word -- budget!!! it makes my blood curl... right now, being in college, i have to budget my money to make sure i can pay my bills. i tend to refer to this as correctly appropriating funds. i don't like to budget, i don't use the word budget, and i will forever refuse to refer to my money appropriation as a budget... sorry i'm a little compulsive about the subject...

:lol: Yes you are...

...thanks for replying.

linette411
04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I refer to my budget sheet every few days. My budget is set for the rest of the year. I plan it that way. If anything should ever change I refer to it and make the needed adjustments. It's great to know what you are doing with your money before you get it. It's also great to see where your extra cash will come in. And with all of that you see when and how much to save and spend on vacations or extra things.

tran68
04-15-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm good at it cause I know what it's like to run through $500+ a month and NOT KNOW what I spent it on!! :unsure: :huh: Hell, I can go on some decent vacations for $6K a year, ya know!! :P

tdhayes
04-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I do pretty well as long as I write checks for pretty much everything. My VisaCheckcard is pretty much on ice because I forget to write things down. I got tired of taking out of my savings to cover my checking. Sooo, if I can write a check for it, there's almost a 95% chance that I will do so. It works for me soo far :)

wildandkinky
04-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Reasonable.

I sometimes forget a small item, but I round everything up which compensated for that.
Another thing I do that I'm not too proud of is "creative" accounting. If I spent a lot on books I put a sewing magazine in the clothes category.
I do have a kind of hierarchy of categories, I allow myself to put more lasting things in the category of less lasting things but not vice versa.

On a good note, I have a good grasp of how much I can spend on what and have a good idea of what is in my account.
I spend less on things I don't need than before using a budget which is the main goal in budgetting for me.

Tenkei
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
It's hard in the beginning for me. I have a wedding to go to as well as a graduation and they are both out of town. That costs! And gifts! :(

synergy
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm very good. I pay myself a set amount of money every month and when it's gone, it's gone. Plus, I'm not an impulse shopper so living with a budget isn't really a task.

tdhayes
04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tenkei@Apr 18 2005, 03:11 PM
It's hard in the beginning for me. I have a wedding to go to as well as a graduation and they are both out of town. That costs! And gifts! :(

Not to be funny but do remember that you don't HAVE to go just because you were invited...unless you are participating. I've had to turn down events because I was unable to get there without busting my budget. If it's not in you funds, call them and let them know that you can't attend. A nice card and $5-$10 can communicate your presence almost as well as you being there.

Also, IF you DO make it, you don't have to bring a gift. Your presence can serve as your gift. I doubt very seriously that they are going to be taking notes of the fact that they didn't receive a gift from you. If they are, they don't deserve one from you anyway. I've gone to several events out of town without a gift. They were more excited that I made it period.

Just giving you something to think about...

newnaturaldiva
04-19-2005, 06:32 PM
I have made myself a budget but I have not been sticking to it. I really need to go back and look it over and give it a try.

CarolinaAfro
04-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm getting better :blush:

bluvember
04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
If I didn't budget i'd be up a creek fo sho! I just retooled my budget so I could put more away in my savings. I found myself just wasting money on foolishness, so I recognized it and put a stop to it.

Chroma75
04-25-2005, 03:42 AM
The best thing I ever did for my budget is to take advantage of online banking. I daily check my bank account and have it set up to automatically pay for everything on payday. I don't know about other banks but with Bank of America they will write checks for you and mail them to anyone...even if they do not have an electronic account. I've sent checks to friends, my landlord, etc....all through online banking.

By forcing myself to pay for everything upfront and it automatically doing it on payday, I know that everything is paid and if I can't live on whatever is left then I am not following my budget and need to do some re-adjusting of my lifestyle.

newnaturaldiva
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Chroma75@Apr 24 2005, 10:42 PM

By forcing myself to pay for everything upfront and it automatically doing it on payday, I know that everything is paid and if I can't live on whatever is left then I am not following my budget and need to do some re-adjusting of my lifestyle.

Thanks for that bit of advice Chroma75, I do check my account online and look at my bills online as well. But I was always afraid of automatic payment because I thought I would not have enough money left over. Thats why I really needed to sit down and make myself a budget which I am about to do right now. :)

REDeemed
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by linette411@Apr 15 2005, 03:52 AM
I refer to my budget sheet every few days. My budget is set for the rest of the year. I plan it that way. If anything should ever change I refer to it and make the needed adjustments. It's great to know what you are doing with your money before you get it. It's also great to see where your extra cash will come in. And with all of that you see when and how much to save and spend on vacations or extra things.

Whoa! That's EXACTLY what I do! I can look now and tell you how much extra money I'll have in Oct. or Nov. or two weeks from now. I HAVE to have a budget. I probably wouldn't know how to pay bills without it! :blush: