PDA

View Full Version : What do other religions do?

ashrob123
02-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Speaking as a Christian. I've often wondered how others practice in terms of heaven and hell (or the specific religious equivalent). One day I spoke with a girlfriend whose church was going to have a prayer vigil for those in need. I of course asked who, expecting to hear about those who were sick, shut it etc. She then ran down a list of people that they were praying for. This list included, but was not limited to Jews, Muslims and Jehovah Witnesses. I was appaled, but not surprised.

Do other religions condemn those who don't believe their doctrine to hell (or the equivalent) or is this a Christian thing?

starchild
02-06-2003, 05:40 PM
the very groups that she was praying for think the same thing about christians. Jews, the only one, Muslims, the only one, Jehovah Witness, about 100,000 will go to heaven.... ummm

GalaxyGirl2010
02-06-2003, 09:22 PM
judeo-Christian (judaism,christianity and islam)religions are really the only ones that have that concept of hell since they are all developed from the same belief systems (all 3 religions have the some of the same prophets and share some of the same holy books).

For instance in buddhism and hinduism there is no concept of hell or heaven just karma (actions that you carry over from one life to the next), and there really isnt anything in them that states that they are the one or only religion so you better believe them or else mentality. In native american and african religions and other nature based religions there really isnt that same concept as having to believe in their doctrine or else.

NaturalSerenity
02-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Speaking as a Christian. I've often wondered how others practice in terms of heaven and hell (or the specific religious equivalent). One day I spoke with a girlfriend whose church was going to have a prayer vigil for those in need. I of course asked who, expecting to hear about those who were sick, shut it etc. She then ran down a list of people that they were praying for. This list included, but was not limited to Jews, Muslims and Jehovah Witnesses. I was appaled, but not surprised.

Do other religions condemn those who don't believe their doctrine to hell (or the equivalent) or is this a Christian thing?

Well the Big THREE religions (as I refer to them) of Chrsitianity, Judaism and Islam all claim that anyone outside of their particular belief system are classified as non-believers and therefore unrecognized by "their" God. As such, because they do not acknowledge their God, unbelievers will be receiving whatever the proscribed punishment for non-believers is for their particular system.

I practice Wicca, and we do not believe nor acknowledge the devil, Satan or any one entity that represents absolute evil in any fashion. We also do not believe in hell or any form of unending punishment or torment for those who do not practice our faith (or anyone practicing our faith, fopr that matter -- we just don't believ ein the concept of an afterlife of torment, punishment or pain).

Wicca's stance on other faiths is that we respect and honor all positive spiritual paths as the right path for the person practicing it. We believe that there are many paths to reach the divine and ours is just one way. We admire and respect anyone attempting to connect tio Divinity in the fashion that best suits them, and honor them for it.

DivineSpirals
02-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Lucumi does not believe in a hell or a devil. We do believe in self-inflicted suffering brought about by "bad" choices. The responsibilities that come with practicing Lucumi are for those who are devoted to the practice only. So if you are not Lucumi, nothing "bad" will happen if you don't wear eleke beads, or if you don't present yourself in front of an Elegba altar, for instance. We don't believe that non-Lucumi people, or even people who get divinations but never become initiated are going to any sort of place for eternal punishment.

silvi
02-10-2003, 06:36 PM
I am Christian and I believe that other monotheistic religions are but different branches on the same tree. God created us all and God grace decends upon us all...

lovinblackness
02-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Actually many of you are quite wrong. It is my understanding that jews don't even believe in hell and they do not condemn all who are not jewish to an eternity of burning, neither do muslims for that matter. You christians out there can speak for yourselves because I am not sure what different denominations teach.

Jews feel that non-jewish people only have to follow a certain set of laws (I believe there are 6 or 10 of them) and that will be enough for them to have considered having lived a good life and therefore get whatever good is coming in an afterlife. Muslims believe that ALL will pass through hell even the strongest of believers. Why? In Islam fire is a source of purification. Just as people in many lands burn the fields to purify the lands, just as fire and smoke have been considered powerful purifiers in many ethnic and religious traditions so too in Islam. We view life as the real crucible that is the chance you get to purify yourself the more you detach yourself from allowing the 'self of desires' or lower self to rule over the higher self the more pure you are and the less purification required in the afterlife. There is extensive description in Islam of the day of judgement and the means by which people are purified/ hell etc. Also the Islamic view of hell though in some ways similar to the christian is not the same. I think its too bad that so many non-believers are so quick to assume that everything in these three religions are the same, there are some significant differences between the three. Also in Islam we believe that people are judged, by God, according to what they knew and understood and how they lived by that. So someone who only heard of Islam through local ABC newscasts (because we KNOW how accurate the media is) and rejected it as wrong sinful etc but lived their lives according to the best of what they knew to be truth would be judged according to that.

GalaxyGirl2010
02-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Actually many of you are quite wrong. It is my understanding that jews don't even believe in hell and they do not condemn all who are not jewish to an eternity of burning, neither do muslims for that matter. But doesnt believing that you are a chosen people imply that those who dont share in your beliefs arent chosen?

I think its too bad that so many non-believers are so quick to assume that everything in these three religions are the same, there are some significant differences between the three. I dont think we were trying to say that the three religions are the same because obviously if they were, much of the problems and violence that have gone on in the holy land since the middle ages wouldnt have occured. Saying that thei have the same origins isnt saying that they are the same. For instance, french,spanish,italian,portugese and romanian are all originated from latin and each of those languages are distinct but you can still tell that they have the same roots.

So someone who only heard of Islam through local ABC newscasts (because we KNOW how accurate the media is) and rejected it as wrong sinful etc but lived their lives according to the best of what they knew to be truth would be judged according to that. I definitely agree with the fact that the media gives a partial picture to everything that it reports on, so I like to keep and open mind and research on my own. My original post wasnt to bash islam or any of the other religions per se, but basically to just say that according to my experiences and observations, it's the 3 mega religions (judaism,christian and islam) that are more likely to have the idea that the only way for you to be loved by their god is to believe in their beliefs.

saga30311
02-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Actually many of you are quite wrong. It is my understanding that jews don't even believe in hell and they do not condemn all who are not jewish to an eternity of burning, neither do muslims for that matter. You christians out there can speak for yourselves because I am not sure what different denominations teach.

I wanted to repost this - 'cause I think lovinblackness's point may have been missed. I was raised a Christian, and am exploring other religions (Islam as of right now, and intend to look into Judaism). In my experience, only Christians condemn those that do not believe in Christianity to Hell. Or to be more specific - only certain denominations of Christians condemns those that don't follow that particular theology to Hell. I was raised in Baptist churches, and I've heard Baptists say that Catholics are going to Hell? :?:

I think these ideas all depends on the interpretation of whomever is teaching/leading. For example - the Qur'an says that people that don't believe in G'd will go to Hell. It specifies that the "People of the Book" will be rewarded in the afterlife. Because it specifies "People of the Book" it can be interpreted as "people of the Qur'an" or "people of any Holy Book" meaning the Qur'an, Torah or Bible. As we are well aware, there are teachers within Islam that interpret this differently. You can find this same idea in Christian churches as well - some refer to 'believers' going to Heaven, and some specify people of a particular faith. I've always questioned this - because I can't play "the Lotto" with my soul - pick the "right" religion, you go to Paradise in the afterlife. Pick the "wrong" one, and it doesn't matter how dedicated, or faithful you were - you suffer eternal damnation because you picked the "wrong" one? :roll: That's ridiculous - even if a lot of religions tout this / and people believe it.

ronbett
02-13-2003, 05:59 PM
You know & this is off the topic---but to me faith & religion & spiritualty or whatever you want to call your connection to the creator should be easy. Sometimes to me it just feels like humans do such a good job at making the easy hard or making simple concepts complex. I really dont have a specific answer about the original post but I do want to thank yawl for making me think a little harder about God.