PDA

View Full Version : Is There Anyone Suffering From Alopecia Areata?

LovelyNat
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
My hair slowly thinned over that last couple 8 years or so in the back. I have two small bald spots, well the hair is very thin in those areas and I was wondering if anyone else out there was suffering from the same problem. I would never be able to do the TWA thing because of them? Does anyone know of any good solutions?

ReeRee32
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
My girlfriend had that condition a couple of years ago. Her dermotologist gave her stariod shots in her head and she had to use a medicated shampoo and cream. Maybe you should consult your dermotologist..Her hair grew back within six months

LovelyNat
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ReeRee32@Apr 24 2005, 05:40 PM
My girlfriend had that condition a couple of years ago. Her dermotologist gave her stariod shots in her head and she had to use a medicated shampoo and cream. Maybe you should consult your dermotologist..Her hair grew back within six months

Thank you Ree Ree. I realy apreciate your response. I did read about that as well.

LovelyNat

mel-b
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I am someone who had alopecia areata. I had a bald spot on the back of my head that my hairdresser pointed out to me. It was horrifying. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me steroid injections in my bald spot twice. The hair in that spot has grown back. Go to a dermatologist ASAP so they can look at your scalp…..also, check this website out. it has info about the condition. www.alopeciaareata.com.

I wish you the best!

LovelyNat
04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by mel-b@Apr 25 2005, 02:40 PM
I am someone who had alopecia areata. I had a bald spot on the back of my head that my hairdresser pointed out to me. It was horrifying. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me steroid injections in my bald spot twice. The hair in that spot has grown back. Go to a dermatologist ASAP so they can look at your scalp…..also, check this website out. it has info about the condition. www.alopeciaareata.com.

I wish you the best!

Thank You for the info. I really apreciate you taking the time to respond. I just made an appt. today.

LovelyNat

Cutie McPretty
04-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by mel-b@Apr 25 2005, 02:40 PM

I wish you the best!

Thank you so much for posting this. I now have 2 bald patches that are bugging the hell outta me. They have developed within the past year -- shiny bald. I am making an appointment with my dermatologist asap. At least i feel like theres some kind of hope that the hair can possibly grow back now. Thanks again :) -- Tryce

Lockolatte
05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
My friend had the shots too. The whole back of her head was really short, while the rest was long. The shots do work. I guy I know had them as well and his hair came back.

canadiana
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Are there any other treatments besides getting shots?

LovelyNat
05-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by canadiana@May 9 2005, 07:44 PM
Are there any other treatments besides getting shots?

There are no other treatments that I know of. I know that sometimes, eventually the hair will grow back on it's own, but there is no known time frame for when it will grow on it's own and possibly it will never grow back on it's own. Sooooo..... You never know :dunno: . I am going to get the shots.

Are you having problems with Alopecia?

iandi
06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm going to look into getting the shots as well. But does anyone know if there are any side effects from the steroids?

iandi

ChiChiKinks
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
You can use the cream. The cream that I got by my Derm works well because he said he could only give me injections on my front temples because that is where I had the alopecia and he said the top and back is just hair loss and to apply the cream on those areas as well. I've been using the cream for 3 weeks once a day and my hair is really growing back.

LovelyNat
06-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ChiChiKinks@Jun 6 2005, 12:36 PM
You can use the cream. The cream that I got by my Derm works well because he said he could only give me injections on my front temples because that is where I had the alopecia and he said the top and back is just hair loss and to apply the cream on those areas as well. I've been using the cream for 3 weeks once a day and my hair is really growing back.

Is your hair growing back very noticeably or very thin, not that it matters as long as it is growing back. I am just curious. Also, what kind of cream? What is the name of the cream? Thank you for posting.

LovelyNat

Blackstar
06-09-2005, 09:32 AM
essential oils and alopecia (http://www.newhope.com/nutritionsciencenews/NSN_backs/Sep_00/hair.cfm)

ChiChiKinks
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by LovelyNat+Jun 8 2005, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ChiChiKinks@Jun 6 2005, 12:36 PM
You can use the cream. The cream that I got by my Derm works well because he said he could only give me injections on my front temples because that is where I had the alopecia and he said the top and back is just hair loss and to apply the cream on those areas as well. I&#39;ve been using the cream for 3 weeks once a day and my hair is really growing back.

Is your hair growing back very noticeably or very thin, not that it matters as long as it is growing back. I am just curious. Also, what kind of cream? What is the name of the cream? Thank you for posting.

LovelyNat

[/b]
My hair is growing back thicker than before. The name of the cream is Cordran I believe but I still recommend that you go to your Doctor because as we all know there are different types of alopecia caused by different reasons so your Doctor will prescribe one that fits your need.

LovelyNat
06-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ChiChiKinks+Jun 9 2005, 10:00 AM-->

Originally posted by LovelyNat@Jun 8 2005, 09:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ChiChiKinks@Jun 6 2005, 12:36 PM
You can use the cream. The cream that I got by my Derm works well because he said he could only give me injections on my front temples because that is where I had the alopecia and he said the top and back is just hair loss and to apply the cream on those areas as well. I&#39;ve been using the cream for 3 weeks once a day and my hair is really growing back.

LovelyNat

My hair is growing back thicker than before. The name of the cream is Cordran I believe but I still recommend that you go to your Doctor because as we all know there are different types of alopecia caused by different reasons so your Doctor will prescribe one that fits your need.

[/b]

Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes, I have made an appt. with my doctor which is my second appt. With the first appt., we decided to check my hormone levels before concluding that it was Alopecia and we found that my iron was really low and it turns out that I am anemic which can all lead to hair loss. I am now on iron pills and for my second appt. I just want to mention to my doctor the cream you were talking about and see what he says. He mentioned a cream before. I just can&#39;t wait to get to the bottom of this problem. I guess I just have to be patient. It is definitely frustrating especially for someone who has always had beautiful healthy hair. Even though my spots are in the back of my head and not very noticeable, they bother the heck out of me. I would really love to do a BC and wear a TWA but I can&#39;t with the spots. :( Thank you for the advice, it is really greatly appreciated. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

LovelyNat

iandi
06-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Even though my spots are in the back of my head and not very noticeable, they bother the heck out of me. I would really love to do a BC and wear a TWA but I can&#39;t with the spots. :(
LovelyNat

[/quote]

Lovely Nat, I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you are. I have a bald spot in the back that prevents me from doing a BC. I have about 2 inches of hair all around and when I do twists I have to use 2 or 3 of the twists to cover the spot. I really hate the fact that I cant do a BC. Please be sure to let us know what your doctor says. I really hope it all works out for you.

iandi

LovelyNat
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Even though my spots are in the back of my head and not very noticeable, they bother the heck out of me. I would really love to do a BC and wear a TWA but I can&#39;t with the spots. :(
LovelyNat

Lovely Nat, I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you are. I have a bald spot in the back that prevents me from doing a BC. I have about 2 inches of hair all around and when I do twists I have to use 2 or 3 of the twists to cover the spot. I really hate the fact that I cant do a BC. Please be sure to let us know what your doctor says. I really hope it all works out for you.

iandi

[/quote]

Thank you for your response iandi. I will definitely let you all know what happens. My appt. is at the end of this month, so check back then and I will let you know. I hope everything works out for you as well. My hair would be so much more manageable with just the natural hair.

happywenappy
06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I went to a derm. She gave me a cream called Halog. Its a steroid. I will let you know how it works out in the next few months. You should definitely check with your primary to rule out things like lupus, over or under active thyroid, anemia, etc...
You can check out my site and see my spot and the thinning. I did the BC. It was freeing and I honestly didn&#39;t care about what people saw. I just wanted to be free.

LovelyNat
07-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Hello All,
I have gone to the doctor again to have my blood checked again to make sure my anemia is under control because the first time I went I was told that my iron was low and that I am anemic but my thyroid was normal. This may be the cause of my bald spots. I am currently on iron pills and the doctor told me to just continue to take my iron pills and I should get results but the results will be slow. I am so impatient and with these military doctors everything takes forever. There is like a month between my apts. and I just now finally got a referral to see an actual Dermatologist. With the military, since healthcare is free, specialty apts. have to be referred by a general physician. Soooooo.... tomorrow, I will be making an apt. to see an actual Dermatologist. Hopefully I will be able to get more answers there, although the anemia may just be the only cause, but why only in certain spots and not thinning in my whole head? :unsure: If anyone can give me some kind of insight on anemia and hair loss it would really help PLEASE! So, a month from now I will probably be seeing the Dermatologist. In the mean time, I have decided to go ahead and do the BIG CHOP. I have 2 inches of new growth and I am tired of the two textures. It will be easier to manage without the two textures. Why not, my DH is supportive and it would help for my hair to be free and not in a ponytail with the problem being in the back. The ponytail kind pulls on the back of my hair. I think I will just invest in some nice scarves. Well anyways, If anyone has any comments, they are very welcome.

Thanks to you all
Nat

akatude2
07-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by ChiChiKinks@Jun 6 2005, 12:36 PM

I am going to make an appointment with the dermatologist. can you give me the name of the cream that you use. I have two baldspots on both sides of my hair and the top of my hair by those spots are thin. :afro: i am trying to get my fro back

LovelyNat
07-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Hello all,

I did the BIG CHOP :D and it feels great. I still have the spots in the back, but I can cover then with my hair and scarves. I have about a little over 2 inches of hair and 1 and a half inches with shrinkage. I would say go for the big chop. I don&#39;t regret it at all and I think my hair will thank me for it. hopefully without the stress of two textures, my hair will grow back fine. It is free now. All I can say is JUST DO IT!!! It was definitely a hard decision. I just had to realize that the bald spots being visible would only be temporary because hair does grow.

Natalie

SweetAfrica
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Congrats on going for the big chop :)

I have scarring alopecia (dx. close to 6 years ago) and even with steroid shots the bald areas still remain. I also used topical steroid creams and antibiotic creams. Neither seemed to really work.

I just working around the bald areas now.

amsassy
08-30-2005, 02:40 AM
I still have thinning. I was bald on my entire left side for almost a year before my hair started to grow again. I had braids to cover these spots. I also had steroid shots and topical creams and after years of growing my hair its finally starting to work itself out. Just give it time. You may never really get over it, but without the chemicals your scalp and hair have a better chance to bounce back.

cgreen-mccutcheon
08-30-2005, 10:43 AM
[FONT=Times][I][B][COLOR=green]
Hello ladies,

I also have scarring alopecia, the whole crown of my head is very thin. I just went natural and I am sporting a short nice cut. However, the thin spots are very noticable!

I don&#39;t feel attractive. I am very self consious of the thin spots, but I don&#39;t want to wear wigs or weaves.

I am trying to have a level of comfortability with my situation. I recently started scalp treatments at a holistic hair salon, so I am going to see how that works. I figure I will give it at least 6 months. The cayenne treatments are suppose to stimulate the scalp for hair growth.

I did go to a dermatogist, but he did not mention steriod creams or shots. So, maybe I will get a second opinion. My hair has been thinning for the past 10 years. I just never really did anything about it until now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Anyway, my heart is heavy. If anyone has words of wisdom please share them with me.

Thank you

christy
09-04-2005, 12:35 AM
[/quote]

Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes, I have made an appt. with my doctor which is my second appt. With the first appt., we decided to check my hormone levels before concluding that it was Alopecia and we found that my iron was really low and it turns out that I am anemic which can all lead to hair loss. I am now on iron pills and for my second appt. I just want to mention to my doctor the cream you were talking about and see what he says. He mentioned a cream before. I just can&#39;t wait to get to the bottom of this problem. I guess I just have to be patient. It is definitely frustrating especially for someone who has always had beautiful healthy hair. Even though my spots are in the back of my head and not very noticeable, they bother the heck out of me. I would really love to do a BC and wear a TWA but I can&#39;t with the spots. :( Thank you for the advice, it is really greatly appreciated. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

LovelyNat

[/quote]

I too suffer from Alopecia... And I also found out that I am severly anemic in Jan. I started taking iron pills for the next month or two to get my levels intact and since then, In March I got pregnant and my hair has stopped falling out and is growing. Maybe low iron is plaguing more of us than we think.

YorubaQueen
09-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Blackstar@Jun 9 2005, 09:32 AM
essential oils and alopecia (http://www.newhope.com/nutritionsciencenews/NSN_backs/Sep_00/hair.cfm)

Peace...
Thanks for the info Blackstar...I think im suffering from alopecia as well...my hair was thicker than the rainforest and it still LOOKS that way but it feels so much thinner since I cut my locs out...I wanted to start my locs again but b/c my hair doesn&#39;t feel right and I can&#39;t afford to go to a dermotologist (no insurance :( ) ...and I really wanted to try something natural...this was a really informative article...thanks for posting it...and I am gonna try it....hope it works!
YQ