View Full Version : "i'll Never Relax My Hair!"

timz
08-23-2003, 03:33 PM
My 11 yr old napturally beautiful daughter asked yesterday, if I'd "kill her if she ever pressed hair" When I told that I hope she never straightens her hair, she not-so-gently reminded me of my relaxer days! I told her all the reasons why I'd never "go there" again, including

* damage to hair and scalp
* wastage of money, not to mention time
* refusing to alter my God-given beauty to fit a fake "white" standard!
* loving myself the way God made me - black and beautiful!

It seems that she heard me - she indicated that she will never put relaxers, hot combs, braids, weaves etc in her hair!

Given that all of her friends' have perms or extensions, I was very surprised (and pleased) that she's actually taken this stand!

Honeycomb
08-23-2003, 10:24 PM
How wonderful that you are able to get through to your DD, I have two daughters and my youngest has never been permed and my oldest is transitioning after over a year of no relaxer (she's seen the damage that it's done to her hair). I'm proud to say that they both have said they would never relax their hair, and I'm proud that I can be an example to them that natural hair is beautiful hair.

Twistednkinky
08-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by timz@Aug 23 2003, 10:33 AM
It seems that she heard me - she indicated that she will never put relaxers, hot combs, braids, weaves etc in her hair!

Given that all of her friends' have perms or extensions, I was very surprised (and pleased) that she's actually taken this stand!
Way to go MOM! :thumbsup: Keep up the good work! :)

Leading by example always speaks volumes when dealing with children. JMHO! ;)

And kudos to you as well Honeycomb! :thumbsup:

tran68
08-25-2003, 08:24 PM
wunderful! Unfortunately my daughter has seen her friends lose their hair to perms....all before the ripe old age of 10! :( So if she wasn't convinced before, after witnessing it with her own eyez, she tells everybody that perms are just not for her....ever! :thumbsup:

SassyDiva
08-26-2003, 07:25 PM
I dont have a daughter but i do have a son, who has naturallly curly hair. When i do have a daughter i will never perm her hair or relax it.