PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

cnhpn2
05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Identity Theft is the largest growing white collar crime in America. We are all at risk! Find out how to protect yourself for less than $.50/day. Visit www.protectmyidentity.us for more information. Knowledge is power. Please pass this information on to your family and friends.

God bless,

Camille

cnhpn2
05-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Identity Theft is the largest growing white collar crime in America. We are all at risk! Find out how to protect yourself for less than $.50/day. Visit www.protectmyidentity.us for more information. Knowledge is power. Please pass this information on to your family and friends.

God Bless,

Camille

bluvember
05-28-2005, 10:28 PM
The US Postal Service has a free dvd you can get on Id theft. :2cents:

Free Identity Theft DVD (http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=4849321)

accborn
05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by bluvember@May 28 2005, 04:28 PM
The US Postal Service has a free dvd you can get on Id theft. :2cents:

Free Identity Theft DVD (http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=4849321)

Now this, I did not know. Thank you. I will try to grab one and check it out.

charise
05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
ID theft is real, and protecting oneself can be free (no offense to the OP), if you are careful and organized. I have the DVDs from the post office and they are very informative and helpful.

My identity was stolen by a family member, and it took lots of time, tears and frustration, but I was able to clear my name myself...

SepiaAngel
05-31-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to work for a credit center a while ago and it's mindboggling to know how fast this type of crime grew from almost ten years ago to the present. People would make fake IDs to match up with the stolen SS cards and think they'll go undetected. The biggest advice I was given was to not carry your SS card with you at all and to shred any documents that has your personal information.

SepiaAngel
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Sorry y'all :doh...DP.

gigglezk
05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by charise@May 31 2005, 11:37 AM
ID theft is real, and protecting oneself can be free (no offense to the OP), if you are careful and organized. I have the DVDs from the post office and they are very informative and helpful.

My identity was stolen by a family member, and it took lots of time, tears and frustration, but I was able to clear my name myself...

IA! the information is there you just need to know where to get it. i also have the dvds from the post office.

charise, i also was a victim of identity theft from a family member. it broke my heart but i had no choice but to take action when i learned they had broken my credit. luckily i was able to get my credit back up. but still its heartbreaking to know someone in your family will do you dirty.

Pyrodjm
06-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks everyone, I just ordered the DVD from the post office.

charise
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by gigglezk+May 31 2005, 01:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-charise@May 31 2005, 11:37 AM

IA! the information is there you just need to know where to get it. i also have the dvds from the post office.

charise, i also was a victim of identity theft from a family member. it broke my heart but i had no choice but to take action when i learned they had broken my credit. luckily i was able to get my credit back up. but still its heartbreaking to know someone in your family will do you dirty.

[/b]

ITA!!! When a family member steals your identity, I think it&#39;s more difficult to prove, because they 9 times out of 10 know certain things about you that a stranger would not. My family member knew how I signed my name, and learned the distictions about my signature to forge my signature...It took forever to get that part cleared up... :doh

JSiti
06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
As a victim of identity theft, initially I was thinking it would never happen to me; however, after my financial insitituion was "hacked" and my account information was stolen three years later I am still felling the "tremors" of having my identity stolen....*sigh*

So unfortunately, even being cautious isn&#39;t always a safeguard but of course having the information and being aware is always wise.

superfrogsavesDC
01-04-2006, 11:51 AM
[/b]

<div align="right">866071</div>
[/b][/quote]

ITA!!! When a family member steals your identity, I think it&#39;s more difficult to prove, because they 9 times out of 10 know certain things about you that a stranger would not. My family member knew how I signed my name, and learned the distictions about my signature to forge my signature...It took forever to get that part cleared up... :doh
[/b][/quote]

Something similar happened to me when I was in the eleventh grade (five years ago). I didn&#39;t find out until to late November last year why my college loan request was rejected. Before I was able to have credit, I&#39;m already in debt. <_< Now I have to pay some serious bux to the university in order to get my transcript so I can go somewhere else that&#39;s extremely affordable, working on paying back my federal loan, and trying to get the near four thousand in debt out of my credit report (my name and credit was used on a lease for an apartment by my guardian)

I&#39;m hoping by the time I&#39;m able to move out that I&#39;ll be able to get a place to live that don&#39;t check credit reports. :(