PDA

View Full Version : Alopecia

adixon
05-06-2005, 07:03 PM
I have a friend who has Alopecia. I do not know if it's from perm damage of if it's heridity but she wants to get locs. Could any one advise if there is anything that she could us to stimulate growth if it is perm damage of is the hair just lost?

splendidlox
05-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure- but if I believe that Alopecia is a condition where the hair doesn't grow or just falls out. Not just the hair on their head but even their eyebrows, etc. So to say that she will be able to loc her hair- would be interesting. I'm sure that if she has this condition she is aware of what her limits are. If she doesn't have a major case of it- where her hair falls completely out it would still be difficult for her to loc if the hair is not growing.

good luck

adixon
05-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I should probably clarify. I spoke to her today and she says that when she went to the doctor he told her that her scalp was burned and she only has a small spot at the top of her head that she has a problem with the rest of her hairs grows with no problems.

Khardelya
05-07-2005, 06:28 PM
she may have no problem locin', in fact the problem area may begin to grow.

dayna
05-08-2005, 12:49 AM
It depends on if she has follicular damage.

How long has your friend had alopecia in that spot? If it's only been a short time, then the hair may grow back. If it's been a while then that area may always be bald/sparse. Locs may conceal it, if that's the case. I, myself, have a small "problem area" that locs have taken care of : )

I don't know if there are products that truly "stimulate growth." I've always been leery of that claim. If the hair is meant to come back, it will come back.