PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Depressed: Heat Damaged Hair!

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I wish I had never got my mom to press my natural hair with grease and a stove flaming hot tool of hair torture to see how long my hair was. I've been making a lot of stupid mistakes lately.

Yesterday, I washed my hair after my mom burnt it 3 days ago. When I washed it, my hair smelled burnt. It did not revert back to its curly state. It stayed bone straight! My hair still smells awful; my bathroom and bedroom smells burnt too! After the first wash, I applied LeKair Cholesterol Plus to my hair for a few minutes, then I used a clarifying shampoo to wash a second time. No change. Then I deep conditioned with LeKair Cholesterol Plus and a little bit of ElastaQp Breakage Control Serum for 45 minutes and there was no changed...it's still bone straight from the press (no wave or curl pattern at all). My hair still smells burnt as of right now. That's when I just starting crying you guys.

My hair still smells burnt and when I rub my hands through my hair, I have broken little pieces on my hands. I'm so scared that I'm going to have to just cut it all off and start all over. I'm really depressed that this happened to me. I don't know what else to do but cut if all off.

Has this happened to anyone else that has burnt their hair? Did u ever have a burnt smell after washing it or have it stay straight? If so, how long did it take your hair to recover? Or did you just cut off the damaged hair?

I really don't wanna walk around bald but I think that's my only option.

Btw, I've learned my lesson finally... I'M NEVER USING HEAT EVER AGAIN!!!

I'm just gonna grow out this heat damaged hair instead of cutting it off. I'm going to daily wash, Surge 2X daily, condition weekly, and wear a scarf around my head. Hopefully, this will help speed up my hair growth and keep me from worrying about my hair.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

babygurl
05-09-2005, 11:50 AM
The only thing that brought my hair back was a honey and olive oil deep conditioning!!!

debsen
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Uh oh...

:pop:

guapa1
05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Poohbear, take a look at my album. November/December January and I think February. The best thing to do is cut it off and start again.

deecoily
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
What is this? Open season on hotcombing?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your hair is as bad as it sounds, it is burned beyond saving. You will have to cut it off.

I think I am going to create a new forum where I will move all these kind of posts to so people can see I am not making it up when I say HEAT = DAMAGE.

Some may want me to remove the filters. I'm not going to do that as long as I see posts like this popping up all the time.

A press1ng comb is a red hot tool of hair torture at the best of times and it deserves to be called what it is.

~Dee~
:icon_twak:

canadiana
05-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by deecoily@May 9 2005, 06:15 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your hair is as bad as it sounds, it is burned beyond saving. You will have to cut it off.

A press1ng comb is a red hot tool of hair torture at the best of times and it deserves to be called what it is.

~Dee~

I agree! When you cut your hair, it will be healthy and vibrant again.

Ebony
05-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Wow didn't you JUST BC??!?

And I'm looking at your pics and you have a TWA, so my question is, what kind of style was you and your mom trying to get out 2-3 inches of hair? :huh:

But bless your heart though because you definitely will have to snip like Dee has stated. Not only will it feel better but you will have a healthier fro in the end :afro:

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by guapa1@May 9 2005, 07:06 AM
Poohbear, take a look at my album. November/December January and I think February. The best thing to do is cut it off and start again.

My hair looks worse than yours. :(

Dolliesdaughter
05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Check out this link, it happened last week and it usually happens every week. This week was your turn..
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52602

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by deecoily@May 9 2005, 07:15 AM

I think I am going to create a new forum where I will move all these kind of posts to so people can see I am not making it up when I say HEAT = DAMAGE.

Some may want me to remove the filters. I'm not going to do that as long as I see posts like this popping up all the time.

~Dee~

Whatever you do... DO NOT remove the filters.

In the past when I first read your HEAT=DAMAGE thread, I didn't believe it because when I was transitioning, my new growth would curl right back up after my mom burnt it or blowdried it.

Now I know ultimately, heat is not good for natural hair AT ALL. I fell for it when my mom said "I used to press your hair all the time when you were younger. It will be good for your hair as you grow it out."

Unfortunately this time, she burnt it way too hard.

Now that I've gotten over relaxers, now I've gotten over using heat.

Once I get my hair cut off, I'll just start off fresh and anew... hair that's chemical AND heat free!

Deecoily, keep on telling it like it is about all this stuff that'll damage our natural hair.

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@May 9 2005, 08:04 AM
Check out this link, it happened last week and it usually happens every week. This week was your turn..
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52602

Interesting. See, I'm not over here in this forum much and don't get to see a recurring pattern of something bad happening to someone's hair.

Whitley Gilbert
05-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Geez, that's what I'm wondering!

Well, I just posted about this a few days ago so I'll just quote myself.
You should just do a search on the topic and read those threads. It has happened to so many folks and unfortunately it is going to continue to happen to many others. Learn from your mistake is all I can say. Good luck!http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52602

Maybe you should take some pics so that others who don't believe the folks who try can actually see what happens!

:icon_headshake:

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ebony@May 9 2005, 07:45 AM
Wow didn't you JUST BC??!?

And I'm looking at your pics and you have a TWA, so my question is, what kind of style was you and your mom trying to get out 2-3 inches of hair? :huh:

But bless your heart though because you definitely will have to snip like Dee has stated. Not only will it feel better but you will have a healthier fro in the end :afro:

Yep, just did the BC and ruined my hair.

My mom said it would be a good idea after she said it never damaged my hair in the past when she used to press my natural hair.

After she burnt it, she curled it with curling irons as well and it looked like a halle berry pixie cut. Then a few days later, I did this mohawk looking style.

Now I know better and will start off with virgin hair after I cut it off again. ^_^

deecoily
05-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you, so soon after doing the BC. But it will grow back, promise!

(btw, "p.ressed" filters to "burnt") ;)

~Dee~

RoseBurnt
05-09-2005, 01:24 PM
:dunno: Sorry mate... cut it off, start again. Next time you do it, I will personally brand your azz with the same h.o.t c.oooo.mb.! :pointlaugh: You have been warned!

PS.. Try not to worry too much, it'll be aiight ;)

jmnappy
05-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Hair we go again...

I learned the hard way too.

afrobeauty77
05-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Aww..I feel really bad for you, just take comfort in knowing that at least you learned your lesson with just 3 inches of hair instead of 6 inches. It will grow back before you know it, and you have a cute face so short hair will look good on you. :hug:

littlefish
05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
This is actually becoming laughable...

littlefish

nicolelarri
05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
yet another lesson learned...

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by littlefish@May 9 2005, 09:56 AM

littlefish

Like I said... I'm not over here 24/7! So laugh all you want. :pointlaugh: The whole idea of having natural hair and having it chemical-free and heat-free is a BIG transformation for me and very new to me. Now, I am learning my lesson, even though it was the hard way. :blush:

Shanna
05-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by deecoily@May 9 2005, 08:15 AM

This is a great idea actually... put it right above this forum so people won't miss it. Lord knows we definitely have enough threads like this to fill a whole other forum.. :icon_headshake:

Annlucilu
05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Awwww...you do have a cute face ^_^ . Don't worry, short hair hair rocks on you.

Man, but those word filters.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember before when someone typed in press back on the browser and after the word filter it read "burn the hair straight" back on the browser.....At first I was like Whaaat! I laughed over that one for days......

littlefish
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Dee, that's a great idea, but I'll bet that the folks who insist on using heat will ignore it, just as they've ignored your sticky up there, as well as the numerous posts from people who have made the same mistake. It's crossed the line into becoming ridiculous now. Anyone who does it should be too embarrassed to mention it at this point.

I mean, honestly, if someone said, "If you bend your finger too far backward, it'll break," and several others gave it a try only to come back and say, "Oops! I bent my finger back and it broke. I didn't think it would happen to me!" after a while the rest of us have to wonder about the mental capacity of those who, after all the warnings, bend back their fingers. (And at least broken fingers heal -- you don't have to cut them off.)

Besides, isn't this a forum for those of us who love and appreciate our naps? If you're using heat to straighten for aesthetic purposes, where's the love?

Oy.

littlefish

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by deecoily@May 9 2005, 08:20 AM
I am so sorry this happened to you, so soon after doing the BC. But it will grow back, promise!

(btw, "p.ressed" filters to "burnt") ;)

~Dee~

OHHH! I'm so slow!!! I thought when you said "getting rid of filter" I thought you meant "getting rid of threads that are against heat and other damaging things".

I didn't know there were filters on this forum.

So that's why you ladies are putting symbols, punctuations, etc. on things that apply to heat, so it won't filter to "burnt" or "burning". :D

SaPhia
05-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by littlefish@May 9 2005, 10:56 AM

littlefish

I know what you mean. I don't wanna laugh at anyone's predicament, but it's like twice a week someone posts another "I burnt my naps straight" thread. After a while, it does become almost funny.

Niya
05-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by deecoily@May 9 2005, 06:15 AM

you may have been joking, but this is a wonderful idea.

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOO littlefish... why did it take you 20 YEARS to discover that your hair hates relaxers???

and remember burning off your bangs with c.urling i.rons!!!

And just because someone straightens their hair doesn't mean they are not appreciating their naps. That's like saying we shouldn't even do anything with our hair as far as styling goes!!! What styles should we wear that shows appreciation for our naps? Look at all the different styles women with natural hair achieve...twists, braids, knots, coils, etc. And look at all the different hair products we use...shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers, styling products, etc. to get our hair a certain way.

If we really want to appreciate our naps, let's just use water and wear a wash-n-go style!!!

Originally posted by littlefish@May 9 2005, 10:43 AM
Dee, that's a great idea, but I'll bet that the folks who insist on using heat will ignore it, just as they've ignored your sticky up there, as well as the numerous posts from people who have made the same mistake. It's crossed the line into becoming ridiculous now. Anyone who does it should be too embarrassed to mention it at this point.

I mean, honestly, if someone said, "If you bend your finger too far backward, it'll break," and several others gave it a try only to come back and say, "Oops! I bent my finger back and it broke. I didn't think it would happen to me!" after a while the rest of us have to wonder about the mental capacity of those who, after all the warnings, bend back their fingers. (And at least broken fingers heal -- you don't have to cut them off.)

Besides, isn't this a forum for those of us who love and appreciate our naps? If you're using heat to straighten for aesthetic purposes, where's the love?

Oy.

littlefish

tdrmaquillage
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
If we really want to appreciate our naps, let's just use water and wear a wash-n-go style!!!

A lot of us do just that. One day you probably will, too. You seem to be taking this well and have a great attitude and a willingness to learn the lesson and move on. Chop the dead stuff off and keep steppin'. Welcome to being nappy! :)

- Tania :afro:

Cutie McPretty
05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Dont worry, your hair will grow back. You just have to remember why you are cutting it off and that should keep you away from the heat. Good luck.

Offtopic: I'm so feeling like everytime someone gets ready to post one of these 'scorched my hair off' posts that we should have something that plays a clip from that Britanny Spears song that says, "Oops, i did it again" :lol: -- Tryce

littlefish
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOO littlefish... why did it take you 20 YEARS to discover that your hair hates relaxers???

That's a fair question. Here's your answer:

Probably for the same reason it took others so long: I didn't know I had an option. I grew up in a family in which women had to "do something" to their hair. Didn't matter what it was, as long as your natural (nappy) texture didn't show. When that light went off and I realized that I did indeed have an option -- that it was ok for a black woman to sport her Afro-textured hair -- I cut my hair off and did just that.

And it's because of the knowledge I've received since then that I no longer use relaxers. And it's because of the warnings about heat damage that I don't use heat. I don't even use my hood dryer for conditioning. Now I shampoo (every now and then), condition (most times), and pull it up or back. The end.

To address your point regarding the things others do to achieve a certain look, I think most of us know that there's a big difference between using twists, coils, and braids to style and/or protect natural hair, or using heat and/or chemicals as a styling option. But ... you can rationalize it however is most comfortable for you.

You want to straighten your hair with heat occasionally or often -- even after knowing that you do have all these styling options (you listed them yourself) -- go right ahead. No one is stopping you. (As I've said before, what other folks do with their hair is their business.) I'm just surprised that you're surprised that your naps were damaged as a result, what with all the warnings that Dee and others have posted here.

That said, good luck. Let us know how it turns out for you.

littlefish

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by littlefish@May 9 2005, 12:04 PM

You want to straighten your hair with heat occasionally or often -- even after knowing that you do have all these styling options (you listed them yourself) -- go right ahead. No one is stopping you. (As I've said before, what other folks do with their hair is their business.) I'm just surprised that you're surprised that your naps were damaged as a result, what with all the warnings that Dee and others have posted here.

littlefish

That's the thing. I read that Heat=Damage thread like last year or something. This is the ONLY heat warning I've ever seen. Also, after never having a bad experience with heat, how would I know whether it was damaging my hair or not? It wasn't like I kept applying heat to my hair and saw it damaged it and kept doing it. That's why I didn't grasp that Heat=Damage post that she made. This was the first bad experience I had with heat.
Please be careful when you say things about certain experiences people share. I just need encouragement, advice, and support... not ridicule and negative things telling me how stupid I was for letting my mom burn my hair straight. Not all of us are natural hair experts and not all of us have grown up chemical-free and heat-free. I'm very glad I was introduced to this site back in May of last year thanks to BrownsuggaDIVA. ^_^

MeccaMedinah
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Actually PB, I tried to warn you a few months ago & you dismissed what I was saying.

Melanizm
05-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MeccaMedinah@May 9 2005, 06:05 PM
Actually PB, I tried to warn you a few months ago & you dismissed what I was saying.

Me too, Mecca... :unsure:

while you were transitioning you couldn't decide if you wanted to use heat or not I remember warning you not to or atleast do it in moderation, but you dismissed it.

Nappyforever
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
I think she already got the message ladies. Dont make her feel more miserable. We all make mistakes. Nobody is perfect.

starla73
05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi Poohbear. I wouldn't fret too much about your hair right now. You never really know what your hair can 'take' until you try. We all make mistakes. My mom used to str&iten my hair about once a month when I was a kid and it always snapped back. She was an 'old school' cosmetologist back then and I remember her laying the comb on a piece of paper to make sure it didn't scortch and never st&tening my hair when it was dirty. Man I hated those sessions lol. She'd ask me if I wanted a light pre$$ or a hard pre$$.....I'd say NEITHER because I was afraid of the comb touching my ear or nape. My hair must be almost indestructable when I think back to those days :P I think that I lost waaay more hair with a re laxer than with a pre$$ing comb :unsure: ...then again, this just applies to me.

Although I don't have a zero tolerance attitude towards heat, I WILL ask you to hold off on another heat session. Nurture your hair. If you still feel that you need to clip some off, do so. I'd suggest lots of conditioning first. As your hair grows, you might consider banding or setting it in bantu knots if you want to show some length.

My hair is some of the thickest, spongiest that you'll probably see...always has been :D
Take care :wub: :hug:

Poohbear215
05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
@ MeccaMedinah and Melanizm....

I dismissed it because I didn't see any damage with the blowdryer when I used it. After I would wash my hair, it would curl right back up. With this recent experience, this is the first time I ever had a bad experience with heat.

When I said deecoily's post was the only warning I got, I'm talking about a BIG HUGE warning. Not "be careful with heat" or "don't use heat" or "heat is bad". When people gave me small side warnings, I didn't think nothing of it.

Sorry I ignored your warnings. Please don't be mad at me. :(

napturallyme
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM

~Dee~

I was just thinking we need another pinned topic on this on how the damage is basically irreparable. I swear this topic comes up once or twice a week. :rolleyes:

lsubabiedee
05-10-2005, 12:11 AM
sometimes u have to experience things firsthand to learn...girl, dont fret, u know now how bad heat is on hair, so u wont make the mistake again

Melanizm
05-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Poohbear215@May 9 2005, 10:47 PM

I dismissed it because I didn't see any damage with the blowdryer when I used it. After I would wash my hair, it would curl right back up. With this recent experience, this is the first time I ever had a bad experience with heat.

When I said deecoily's post was the only warning I got, I'm talking about a BIG HUGE warning. Not "be careful with heat" or "don't use heat" or "heat is bad". When people gave me small side warnings, I didn't think nothing of it.

Sorry I ignored your warnings. Please don't be mad at me. :(

I'm not mad @ you but I just didn't want to see anything like this happen since you were so enthusiastic about going natural. You live and you learn though. ;)

guapa1
05-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215+May 9 2005, 01:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-guapa1@May 9 2005, 07:06 AM

My hair looks worse than yours. :(

[/b]

If thats the case then my dear, it needs to come off. Your hair will feel and look better for it!

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by guapa1@May 10 2005, 08:04 AM

If thats the case then my dear, it needs to come off. Your hair will feel and look better for it!

I know. :( That&#39;s what I&#39;m going to do Friday. I&#39;ll show y&#39;all pics of my 2nd big chop. ^_^

MeccaMedinah
05-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215@May 9 2005, 05:47 PM

I dismissed it because I didn&#39;t see any damage with the blowdryer when I used it. After I would wash my hair, it would curl right back up. With this recent experience, this is the first time I ever had a bad experience with heat.

When I said deecoily&#39;s post was the only warning I got, I&#39;m talking about a BIG HUGE warning. Not "be careful with heat" or "don&#39;t use heat" or "heat is bad". When people gave me small side warnings, I didn&#39;t think nothing of it.

Sorry I ignored your warnings. Please don&#39;t be mad at me. :(

Pooh, I am not mad at all. I was just trying to prevent this situation. I still luv you the same. :D

Sekhmet
05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
There is already a pinned topic. People read it and just don&#39;t think it will happen to them. That post clearly lists which heat instruments can cause damage, that the damage is irreversible and that it&#39;s a risk every time you decide to use heat.

How much more warning do people need. It&#39;s there whenever someone is considering taking that chance. Why do people need periodic warnings? Or multiple warnings?

I do think it&#39;s a good idea to keep all these "I burnt my hair, now what do I do?" threads together in one place so that folks can see exactly how many times it&#39;s happened. They&#39;ll know the dire consequences of just one bad heat application after that and maybe they&#39;ll stop playing Russian Roulette.

But I really doubt it....

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@May 10 2005, 08:14 AM
There is already a pinned topic. People read it and just don&#39;t think it will happen to them. That post clearly lists which heat instruments can cause damage, that the damage is irreversible and that it&#39;s a risk every time you decide to use heat.

How much more warning do people need. It&#39;s there whenever someone is considering taking that chance. Why do people need periodic warnings? Or multiple warnings?

I do think it&#39;s a good idea to keep all these "I burnt my hair, now what do I do?" threads together in one place so that folks can see exactly how many times it&#39;s happened. They&#39;ll know the dire consequences of just one bad heat application after that and maybe they&#39;ll stop playing Russian Roulette.

But I really doubt it....

The thing is, if you have many ladies on forums and in person who do not get damaged hair from heat and you yourself never had a bad experience with heat, what good will warnings do from members and pinned forums??? That&#39;s the point I was trying to make. It&#39;s not like I never used heat in my entire life, then saw the warning, and chose to use heat anyway. I&#39;ve used heat before and my mom has used heat before on her hair and my hair when natural and it would revert right back. If your hair reverts right back, how do u know if it&#39;s damaged from heat? :dunno: Like many ladies have said already, you live and you learn, even if you&#39;re going to have set backs.

ajargon
05-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215+May 9 2005, 09:22 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlefish@May 9 2005, 09:56 AM

littlefish

Like I said... I&#39;m not over here 24/7! So laugh all you want. :pointlaugh: The whole idea of having natural hair and having it chemical-free and heat-free is a BIG transformation for me and very new to me. Now, I am learning my lesson, even though it was the hard way. :blush:

[/b]

Girl, it&#39;s okay. Try to be encouraged. I am sure at some point we all learned some valuable lessons. Whether it was from perm, heat, or color, we&#39;ve all been there, and had that :doh moment! It&#39;s okay. Don&#39;t let people&#39;s frustrations get you upset or worried. You made a mistake, learn from it, and let&#39;s ALL move on! As you know, your hair will grow back, before you know it! :hug:

enocentnique
05-10-2005, 01:38 PM
:( Sorry.

I don&#39;t know what to say :dunno:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

nukia
05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Live and learn...good luck, with BC # 2...just like I will never colour my hair again, unless its henna

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by superstar@May 9 2005, 08:08 AM
Maybe you should take some pics so that others who don&#39;t believe the folks who try can actually see what happens!

:icon_headshake:

I have a pic in my album. ;)

pookeylou
05-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for your honesty fellow "poohian"!

For people like me...seeing IS believing!

I dont need to eat a rotten apple to know it has worms in it, and if I do decide to go insane and risk it and I get terribly ill...I will just check myself in the ER and suffer in silence.

I brought it on myself.

Seoul
05-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ajargon@May 10 2005, 07:35 AM
Girl, it&#39;s okay. Try to be encouraged. I am sure at some point we all learned some valuable lessons. Whether it was from perm, heat, or color, we&#39;ve all been there, and had that :doh moment! It&#39;s okay. Don&#39;t let people&#39;s frustrations get you upset or worried. You made a mistake, learn from it, and let&#39;s ALL move on! As you know, your hair will grow back, before you know it! :hug:

Co-signing and sending you another :hug: !

Safiyyah
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Well Well Well!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not feel sorry for you at all. BUT I do want to thank you very much for taking pictures, you and guapa.

To be honest, I read the heat warnings, I saw what fried hair looks like but despite the many desctriptions, I have never in my life seen what hair which was p.ressed somehow remained straight after washing. I couldn&#39;t even picture it. And now I can. I am dead set against heat, there are soo many ways to stretch my hair... big overnight braids, banding, big overnight twists, all these can be followed up with some coconut oil and a denman brush the following morning. Plus everytime I see burnt hair, it seems too thin, I like the body the naturalness brings.

I will be keeping these two weblinks to show those people who don&#39;t listen.

Littlefish.... You know one of your biggest supporters, you just keep doing what you doing, and keep posting those pics up.

Safiyyah

Safiyyah
05-10-2005, 03:59 PM

I do not feel sorry for you at all. BUT I do want to thank you very much for taking pictures, you and guapa.

To be honest, I read the heat warnings, I saw what fried hair looks like but despite the many desctriptions, I have never in my life seen what hair which was p.ressed somehow remained straight after washing. I couldn&#39;t even picture it. And now I can. I am dead set against heat, there are soo many ways to stretch my hair... big overnight braids, banding, big overnight twists, all these can be followed up with some coconut oil and a denman brush the following morning. Plus everytime I see burnt hair, it seems too thin, I like the body the naturalness brings.

I will be keeping these two weblinks to show those people who don&#39;t listen.

Littlefish.... You know one of your biggest supporters, you just keep doing what you doing, and keep posting those pics up.

Safiyyah

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Safiyyah@May 10 2005, 10:59 AM

I do not feel sorry for you at all.

I am NOT looking for ANYONE to feel sorry for me AT ALL. I created this post to share my experience and how I will not be using heat anymore. I think some of you just automatically see the title of threads and just post a comment regarding your strong views on forbidden things to use on natural hair.

AIR can very well damage hair as well. Did y&#39;all know THAT! <_<

feepee
05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215+May 10 2005, 12:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Safiyyah@May 10 2005, 10:59 AM

I do not feel sorry for you at all.

I am NOT looking for ANYONE to feel sorry for me AT ALL. I created this post to share my experience and how I will not be using heat anymore. I think some of you just automatically see the title of threads and just post a comment regarding your strong views on forbidden things to use on natural hair.

AIR can very well damage hair as well. Did y&#39;all know THAT! <_<

[/b]
:huh:
oh no!! :shocker: that&#39;s why we should all keep our hurr tightly wrapped and never exposed to the harsh harsh world!

canadiana
05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
:lol: @ hurr

BrownsuggaDIVA
05-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215+May 9 2005, 12:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlefish@May 9 2005, 12:04 PM

You want to straighten your hair with heat occasionally or often -- even after knowing that you do have all these styling options (you listed them yourself) -- go right ahead. No one is stopping you. (As I&#39;ve said before, what other folks do with their hair is their business.) I&#39;m just surprised that you&#39;re surprised that your naps were damaged as a result, what with all the warnings that Dee and others have posted here.

littlefish

That&#39;s the thing. I read that Heat=Damage thread like last year or something. This is the ONLY heat warning I&#39;ve ever seen. Also, after never having a bad experience with heat, how would I know whether it was damaging my hair or not? It wasn&#39;t like I kept applying heat to my hair and saw it damaged it and kept doing it. That&#39;s why I didn&#39;t grasp that Heat=Damage post that she made. This was the first bad experience I had with heat.
Please be careful when you say things about certain experiences people share. I just need encouragement, advice, and support... not ridicule and negative things telling me how stupid I was for letting my mom burn my hair straight. Not all of us are natural hair experts and not all of us have grown up chemical-free and heat-free. I&#39;m very glad I was introduced to this site back in May of last year thanks to BrownsuggaDIVA. ^_^
[/b]

:o OH MY WORD! lol...just kidding hun ;)

i remember last May also...gurl, i was ready to wring your lil "virtual" throat! HOWEVER, its good to see you here a year later!

BE ENCOURAGED! this whole thing is a learning process...a journey..and no 2 will be the exact same.

i damaged my hair the first year trying to do what everyone else was doing...THE AFRO PUFF! which lead me to a 2nd big chop after i did some major damage on the top and both sides of my head with those PHHBs.

again..GOOD TO SEE YA HERE! :D

giggleblue
05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
yeah, and this is why i run from people offering to flat flaming hot tool of hair torture my hair... i try to learn my lessons through watching other people&#39;s mistakes... i hope your hair grows back quickly, but i think it would be best to start over again, because if it is as bad as you say, no conditioner can bring it back to life...

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by feepee@May 10 2005, 02:01 PM
:huh:
oh no!! :shocker: that&#39;s why we should all keep our hurr tightly wrapped and never exposed to the harsh harsh world!

the point is... more than just relaxers, heat, & products can damage our hair!!!

Poohbear215
05-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by BrownsuggaDIVA@May 10 2005, 02:05 PM
[i remember last May also...gurl, i was ready to wring your lil "virtual" throat!
Why??? :dunno:

BrownsuggaDIVA
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear215+May 10 2005, 05:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BrownsuggaDIVA@May 10 2005, 02:05 PM
[i remember last May also...gurl, i was ready to wring your lil "virtual" throat!
Why??? :dunno:

[/b]

its ok hun. we were just having a big ol&#39; misunderstanding about natural hair on that OTHA hair forum.

but by reading ur current posts...u have come a long way and thats a great thing! enjoy your natural journey! :D