PDA

View Full Version : What Artists Inspire You?

BlkButterflye
08-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Music---
Cree Summers :pumpheart:
Madonna
The Roots
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
Common
Dead Prez
Prince
Coldplay
Meshell Ndegeocello
Soulive
Jazzyfatnastees
Mos Def
Kweli
Tupac
Saul Williams
Prince
Lenny
Bob Marley
Hendrix--man i could go on and on but imma stop here

Writers
Toni Morrison
Ntozake Shange
zora neale hurston
alice walker :pumpheart:
maya angelou

painters---
I am totally feeling Divinespirals interpretation of Yemanja...Wow

Actors--
Angela Bassett
Grace Jones
Denzel

Dreamyb
08-31-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by BlkButterflye@Aug 30 2003, 03:15 PM
Music---

Goapele
The Mango Room
Yahzarah
Cree Summers
The Roots
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
N'Dambi
Common
Dead Prez
Prince
Digable Planets
Jazzyfatnastees
Little Brother
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Hendrix
Jill Scott

Writers
Toni Morrison

I can't think of any others, i don't read much fiction

painters---
Divine Spirals is def. inspiring and
Pierre Bennu has some tight work

Actors--
i don't feel movies enough to have a favorite for this category
i just edited your list being that there were so many similarities.
the people mentioned throughout each category usually motivate me in some way to do something (paint more, work harder, work on being a better individual, whatever).

Kalico
08-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Michael Jackson with and without the Jacksons. If I can listen to the "Jacksons Destiny" everyday for two weeks and it sounds better each time then it is obviously true love baby! :D Other than that I'm not in love with too many media personalities. Most people who inspire me are not famous. I can't pick and choose writers or other visual artists because the world is full of great story tellers both written and oral, and there are so many truly gifted visual artists throughout Africa and the diaspora.

Makeda
08-31-2003, 02:27 AM
none

Fauryn78
08-31-2003, 03:30 AM
I'm not going to repeat the same artists other poster have listed...most of them (if not all) would be on my list....

However, my favorite writer of all time is Langston Hughes...he is such an inspiration to me.

And I just have to shout out Stevie Wonder and Lauryn Hill - for obvious reasons. (my alll time favorites in the music world)

I really don't have a favorite actor...although there are many I respect

Twistednkinky
08-31-2003, 04:25 AM
What Artists Inspire You?, Musicians, Singers, Painters, Writers

Musicians

This list is too exhaustive, but I will share a few that have not been mentioned!

Heather Headley
Floetry
Anita Baker
Patti Labelle
Phyllis Hyman

Painters

This list is too exhaustive, but I will share a few that have not been mentioned!

Annie Lee
Leroy Campbell
Monica Stewart
Frank Morrison
Synthia St. James

Writers

bell hooks
Jawanza Kunjufu
Audre Lorde
Jill Nelson
Sonia Sanchez

These are just snippets....just snippets!!!! There are many many others both past and present.....men and women in other realms religious, social, political, and sports that would get honorable mention....from me! As their lives are testaments that it is very much possible to rise above your circumstance and or what seems to be a monolithic systematic oppression.

The world is full of great story tellers both written and oral, and there are so many truly gifted visual artists throughout Africa and the diaspora.

So very true! ITA! Well-said Kalico! :thumbsup:

naturalme22
08-31-2003, 04:44 AM
SADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erykah badu
madonna
stevie wonder
fiona apple
mary j. blige
JILL SCOTT
nas

jessica care moore

naturalme22
08-31-2003, 04:46 AM
sorry double post....

oh yeah... Poncho brown from baltimore.... and i cannot forget.....

FERTILE GROUND... I LOVE THEM...!!!!! AND THEY ARE HOMEGROWN.....

caramello loc'z
08-31-2003, 08:06 AM
hmm...I would have to say

Donny Hathaway (his voice is so smooth...)
& Lenny Williams...which was previously mentioned

I really admire Michael Jackson..why? maybe because he is such an icon :unsure:

caramello loc'z
08-31-2003, 08:07 AM
hmm...I would have to say

Donny Hathaway (his voice is so smooth...)
& Lenny Williams...which was previously mentioned

I really admire Michael Jackson..why? maybe because he is such an icon :unsure:

celine
08-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Political and intellectual models: Marcus Mosiah Garvey, Malcolm X, Frantz Fanon, Cheikh Anta Diop, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Muhammad Ali.
Writers: Alexandre Dumas, Wole Soyinka, Maryse Condé, Richard Wright.
Poets: Amadou Hampaté Bâ, Camara Laye, Léopold Sédar Senghor.
Singers: Jill Scott, India.Arie, Cassandra Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Dee Dee Bridgewater, China, Erikah Badu.
Actress: T'Keyah Kristal Keymah, Nia Long, Denzel Washington.

Celine

ValleyOfDecision
08-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Inspirations:

MUSIC: (I&#39;m listening to) Common (as I type this), Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Lauryn Hill when she was out, and a lot of old music (Isley Brothers, etc.) because old music laid the foundation for the GOOD music of today, which there isn&#39;t much of nowadays <_< (one of the reasons why I rarely buy music nowadays). Also, gospel music is very inspiring, most notably Fred Hammond.

WRITERS: Maya Angelou and Iyanla Vanzant. I&#39;ve also read Toni Morrison in the past. I don&#39;t have much time to read lately but I plan to remedy that soon so that I can be inspired more. Reading the Bible can also be inspiring.

PAINTERS: I like Salvador Dali and Frida Kahlo. I&#39;m not too much into art, but most of the art I&#39;ve seen and liked has been from Spanish painters.

Two other people that have inspired me from the past are W.E.B. DuBois and George Washington Carver.

KinkyCoils
08-31-2003, 11:11 PM
Musicians

(list changes)
Black Eye Peas
Jazzyfatnastees
Heather Headley
Floetry
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Lauryn Hill
Jill Scott

Writers

Maya Angelou
Yasmin * (my best friend; she&#39;s a writer. LOOK OUT FOR HER)
Bernice McFadden
Nikki Givonni

Painters/Artists

My brother

kiana7
09-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Musicians:
Prince
Will Downing (I swear his singing to me)
Currently feeling Heather Headley, Floetry, and Kindred
Luther Vandross (My prayers are going up)

Painters
Aaron and Alan Hicks (Their spiritial paintings are breathtaking)
Salvidor Dali
Don Stivers (His Buffalo Soldier series are a masterpiece)

Writers
Can&#39;t say I have a favorite. I love too many styles. I admire all writers. It is painstaking work to put thoughts to pad and pen. I admire those with the patience and passion to do so.

bklynsmile77
09-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Musicly I am inspired by mary j blige LOVE HER, erykah badu, jill scott, common, luther vandross,SADE love her, all the people who stay true to the music The roots, Lauryn Hill, Bob MArley, Morgan Heritage, Beres Hammond, Queen LAtifah, Miss Nina Simone the message in the music (RIP)

The written word am inspired by MALCOLM X (incredibly),sonia sanchez (keeps my head nodding), maya angelou (WOW WOW), Ntzoke shange, Nikki Giovanni, june jordan (RIP), langston hughes, jessica care moore, iyanla vanzant (Wow you are exceptionally wonderful) , Saul Williams,Eknath Ewasran (wow you have open my eyes), Toni Morrison, touched me deeply and so many many more.

Artist GOrdon parks, augusta Savage, jacob lawrence, alvin ailey so many many more WOW

each day I understand why these people are sent here

wildkiki
09-07-2003, 08:44 PM
For the people who like Me&#39;chelle Ndgeocello (hope I spelled it right), which album would you recommend for a first time buyer. She gets little to no marketing/press so I don&#39;t know whick album is one of her better ones.

jazzypom
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
artists
like Valley, i like salvador dali (my favourite artist - ever!) and jack kirby - marvel artist extrodinare.

musicians
bjork - i like her take on things, very different from most mainstream artists.
lamb - totally inspired by their music
portishead - very noir, very depressing at times, but in a good way.
depeche mode - very sensual, very gothic
chopin - very intricate stuff.
*i am really into aqualung right now, but its only their first effort, so i will wait on their sophomore effort before i judge*

writers
hmmm... i *like* loads, but have not met much that i have been inspired by. The nearest that i have been inspired by would be anne rice. I do like a cunning turn of phrase and interesting narrative but can&#39;t stand a slick souless one...
gwendolyn brooks - i respect the quiet voice that her poems put across. There is no screaming or shouting or overwhelmingly messy emotions, just a quiet power that i find humbling and enlightening.

yours ever
jp

peachmari
10-29-2003, 06:08 AM
well, i cant think of all of them off the top of my head, but...

musicans

my brother kenny - jungle and idm extrodinare!

aphex twin - pushing the boundaries of music

meshell n&#39;degeocello - aye, shes something else...

hendrix

fela kuti

the roots

zero 7 - havent heard a song that i didn&#39;t like

singers

aretha franklin

bjork

nina simone

doria roberts - she made me love folk music :lol

painter/ photographers

frida kahlo - inspired by her life and art

julie dillion

craig mullins

carla williams

writers

audre lorde

leslie feinberg

o. henry

ellen g white - leader and prophetess

filmakers

hayao miyazaki - he seems to be getting even better with age

spike lee

j spooner - havent seen his work yet, but i bet its great Afro Punk (http://www.afropunk.com/)

misc.

josephine baker

the boondocks - the best comic strip out there (i love huey :) )

Afro-Man
10-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Why has no-one mention

MUSIQ SOULCHILD
DWELE
CALVIN RICHARDSON

tangytic
10-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Musicians

Blue Six
Jill Scott
Lauryn Hill
Bob Marley
Bunny Wailer
Peter Tosh
India Arie
Fela Kuti
India Arie
Angelique Kidjoe
Little Louie Vega
Madonna (80&#39;s)
Ursula Rucker
Public Enemy
Zap Mama
Talking Heads
Sara Jones
Nina Simone
Ms. Dynamite
Groove Armada
Dixie Chicks
Sade
Queen Latifah -she taught that being black was beautiful

Artists

Alvin Ailey Dance Company- they used to come to my school growing up and I remember them dancing to "Wade in the Water" I almost lost my mind.

Pablo Picasso - just so abstract it forces you to use your imagination

Film Makers

All film makers in the African Film Festival
Twins that made Matrix

tdrmaquillage
11-05-2003, 06:15 AM
This is an older thread I know, but I&#39;ve just got to say that the first time I heard Leontyne Price my life changed. Ditto with Jessye Norman.

- Tania :rainfro

DreamyNaps
11-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by wildkiki@Sep 7 2003, 03:44 PM
For the people who like Me&#39;chelle Ndgeocello (hope I spelled it right), which album would you recommend for a first time buyer. She gets little to no marketing/press so I don&#39;t know whick album is one of her better ones.
All of her albums are good and you won&#39;t be disappointed...I think Bitter would be good...it has the song from Love & Basketball on it called "Fool of Me"...I just brought her new cd last week and its real mellow. I also have Cookie....like I said their all good...I can&#39;t help you...LOL!!! Just by all of them :)

DreamyNaps
11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Alot of us have similar taste: Maxwell especially inspires me! I also dig Lauryn Hill, Indie Arie, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Floetry, Sam Cooke, Donny Hathaway, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Aretha Franklin, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, O.A.R, Bob Marley, Goapele, Alanis Morisette, Donnie (he inspired me to be nappy and wear the conscious crown), Res, and Tupac.

Poets: Nikki Govanni (mispelled), Suheir Hammad, Jessica Care More, Black Ice, Bassey Ikpi, Sarah Jones, Saul Williams and La Buja.

Angela Basset ( I love her style and demeanor)

DreamyNaps
11-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Oh I one more thing thtangytic,
I thought I was the only black person with a Dixie Chicks cd...LOL! My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I brought that cd, but I really like it! Just call me an Urban Cowgirl LOL.

tangytic
11-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by DreamyNaps@Nov 5 2003, 04:28 PM
Oh I one more thing thtangytic,
I thought I was the only black person with a Dixie Chicks cd...LOL! My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I brought that cd, but I really like it! Just call me an Urban Cowgirl LOL.
:lol

Sonryse
11-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Musicians/Singers----> Donny Hathaway-Lenny Williams-Bob Marley-Albert King-Stevie Ray Vaughn-Lauryn Hill-India Arie-Stevie Wonder

Author-Alice Walker(LOVEEEEEE The Color Purple) movie/book)

MuthaErth
11-20-2003, 11:59 PM
KRS 1 is my favorite HIP HOP ARTIST of all time (right now) i&#39;m an advid reader so there are far to many authors to mention...

teekydawg
11-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Maya Angelou is my biggest inspiration......I strive daily to have the get up an go this woman has.....she didn&#39;t sit on her a__ and wait for her dreams to come to her.......I don&#39;t know how she did it but I pray for that type of energy in my life...