PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo

MYBELOVED
05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Post your ideas, experiences, or any information on places to travel
if your going solo. Is anyone interested in a Napptural gathering on
a cruise, a resort, or tropical destination. Could be fun.

soultica
05-20-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm interested!!!
I haven't travelled solo, but would definitely do it.... I was thinking maybe Jamaica, Barbados, or something like that.

KnottyGurl
05-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I go places solo a lot. I haven' gone anywhere outside of the US alone though. I don't know if I would either. Going places solo gives me time to reflect and regroup.....not to mention no dead weight!

karatgold
05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I travel solo quite often. I went to Korea at the end of last year. I highly recommend it. It's so cheap and easy to get around. Just make sure you get a map and some brochures of things to see and do. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but then again I moved all the way to Tokyo Japan to teach English. Alone!!! No Sweat!! Lol

P.S. I am going solo to Melbourne Australia on May 29th for one week. I will keep you all posted! :D

"Happiness is a journey not a destination......there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way. so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one." (souza)

aymst1
05-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Article for soloists
http://www.frommers.com/articles/2590.html

Went to Mexico last summer sola, I'll be going to London (or Brazil) this summer sola.

KhymFree
05-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JGilmore@May 20 2005, 12:51 PM
I go places solo a lot. I haven' gone anywhere outside of the US alone though. I don't know if I would either. Going places solo gives me time to reflect and regroup.....not to mention no dead weight!

I use to be afraid to travel solo but now i&#39;m realizing if i wait on other folks i&#39;ll never get to go anywhere. <_< I&#39;ve got to learn to travel by myself. ^_^

justiceone
05-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Has anyone read the book, Living Alone and Loving It? It has an excellent chapter on traveling solo. There&#39;s also, Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips by Lea Lane.

Even if I travel with my friends, I always take a little time to go explore the area by myself. That way I can satisfy my (sometimes eccentric) interests without having to work around someone&#39;s elses schedule. You&#39;re more likely to meet very interesting people (and cute guys :P ) when you&#39;re by yourself too.

tenachie
05-29-2005, 12:42 AM
oh you guys! how I envy you. I&#39;ve travelled "solo" since I was a preteen, but my destination always had a family member of some sorts waiting.

now i&#39;m in my mid-twenties, single, with sporadic and odd vacation weeks, and friends who are equally as time-constrained. i&#39;ve been yearning to just go somewhere all by my lonesome self. it&#39;s not that i&#39;m afraid to be by myself, au contraire, I&#39;m a loner @ heart, but usually i&#39;m in familiar and therefore comfortable settings. I&#39;m just scared that I will go somewhere fantastic and spend it reading books in the hotel room! i guess that&#39;s what you get when you have family in all sorts of exciting international destinations--you&#39;re hardly a tourist.

but i&#39;m going to do it! somewhere in the states first, and then elsewhere. I&#39;m currently looking at tours and once again fear creeps up, this time I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be the single twentysomething black woman in the midst of older retired folks or young married couples with their even younger kids!

this thread is encouraging! thanks

Queencece
05-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I am afraid to go somewhere solo. I don&#39;t know why, but I just am. I haven&#39;t been anywhere alone at all. I am 23yo and would like to be comfortable going places alone, but I guess the only way to do that is to just do it! I agree that waiting on people to join you is very frustrating. Maybe I will plan a trip for this summer to go somewhere. Hmmm...

Q

tangytic
05-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by tenachie@May 29 2005, 12:42 AM
I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be the single twentysomething black woman in the midst of older retired folks or young married couples with their even younger kids!

:lol: this is my fear too.

trubliss
06-03-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by tangytic+May 31 2005, 09:53 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tenachie@May 29 2005, 12:42 AM
I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be the single twentysomething black woman in the midst of older retired folks or young married couples with their even younger kids!

:lol: this is my fear too.

[/b]

Mine too, hopefully I will get out of it and not let life oass me by!

Lukki_Nappy
06-04-2005, 02:06 AM
:afro:

You know what, I just recently got out of a serious relationship and JUST lost my job..I was thinking i need to ``get away`` before i go back to work full force. I have never travelled any place by myself but I think this is definatly something I will look into right now!

Glad you started this thread

goldenladym
06-04-2005, 03:39 AM
I am somewhat of a loner and am definitely interested in traveling alone. I just worry that there will be real jumpin places to go and I&#39;ll be there alone while others have a mate. It&#39;s not me alone as a tourist, but me alone in the midst of others who are not alone that worries me. (Hope that made sense!)
I&#39;ve been to Italy, not alone though. And would like to travel everywhere. There are VERY few places that I would not go to.

gcandis
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
I&#39;m 24 and I love traveling alone!! Especially traveling outside the country. I find that I actually talk more to natives and get a glipse of culture. I&#39;ll meet other people traveling alone and have a chance to make connections all over the world. With the internet you can scope of potential places to hang out. And as being the only black woman....depending on where you want togo they may not have much of a black population anyways.

I find that traveling by myself I set the schedule...i don&#39;t have to compromise.

My next trip solo will be to Brazil for 17 days and I can&#39;t wait. Besides if I had to wait until other people had money to go I&#39;d never get anywhere.

tran68
06-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Besides if I had to wait until other people had money to go I&#39;d never get anywhere.

yeah REALLY! A few of my friends think traveling means going to the Bahamas erry year :rolleyes: and the others just aren&#39;t even interested I think it&#39;s still some 911 worries though....

sweet
06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by KhymFree+May 28 2005, 03:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JGilmore@May 20 2005, 12:51 PM
I go places solo a lot. I haven&#39; gone anywhere outside of the US alone though. I don&#39;t know if I would either. Going places solo gives me time to reflect and regroup.....not to mention no dead weight!

I use to be afraid to travel solo but now i&#39;m realizing if i wait on other folks i&#39;ll never get to go anywhere. <_< I&#39;ve got to learn to travel by myself. ^_^

[/b]

I just had this conversation with my mum yesterday!...I also believe if you always wait 4 others you will nevr go anywhere.....

A friend and I had planned to go around Europe together on a 2 week tour organised by STA Travel (Contiki tour) where you mix with others of your age range and who encourage solo travellers to join 2 have fun and explore new places together.....but there was only 1 space left when we went 2 book! :doh

So after deliberation my friend is going to go and I will go in the future myself as she is from china and she says its harder for visas and 2 travel etc when she is back home after we finsh uni...it should b a great opportunity....

MYBELOVED
06-10-2005, 08:34 PM
:blush: Aaaw thanks ladies. This my first time checking this thread since I started it. I am encouraged. Y&#39;all are mighty adventurous. Please keep posting. Can&#39;t wait to hear about Brazil and London.
The only place I travelled solo is New York around Penn Station.
I was lonely and miserable, and I got lost. Those streets are crazy.
One time, me and my sister went to Atlanta and a pimp tried to recruit us in front of the MLK Center. And this woman hustled us to buy her souvenirs just because we asked for directions. ATL was a trip.

justiceone
06-11-2005, 01:55 PM
For those of you that have traveled alone, how do you explain it to your close friends, families, or SOs?

I mentioned to some that I&#39;d like to go to Toronto by myself (anyone been before?) and everyone was insistent that I take someone else too. Some friends take it personal--thinking that I don&#39;t want to hang out with them, and my family is concerned about my safety...thinking I&#39;ll get accosted in the "mean streets" of Canada. :doh I understand their concern, but I think the idea of taking a solo trip sounds exciting to me. ^_^

Has anyone else had this experience when they travel alone, and how do you handle it?

inkysphinx
06-17-2005, 07:06 PM
For someone traveling alone for the FIRST time outside of the US, do you recommend working with a travel agency to ensure that all the important details are taken care of?

xmasgurl
06-18-2005, 02:20 AM
Traveling alone is really not much different than traveling with someone else. Except you call all the shots on where to go, when to go & what to do.

You still have to verify all of your arrangements so it doesn&#39;t matter if you do it all yourself or use an agent.

You still have to be careful as far as your personal safety is concerned. But that should be normal regardless if you are traveling or at home.

I&#39;m much older than most of the other posters and it doesn&#39;t get any easier to find a friend with the money, the time & the type of temperament that I would enjoy traveling with. So I travel alone quite often.

The only thing I am usually wary about is telling people I meet along the way that I am alone. I usually say I am traveling with a girlfriend but she was doing something else at that moment.

Just be sure to let someone at home know your itenarary in case of emergency.

mariamichelle
06-27-2005, 01:11 AM
I am glad that I came across this post. This website has been a god sent for me because there are so may sistas who think like me. But any way I am the odd ball out of all of my friends and we have different interest. And I was thinking about going to Jamaica, but I did not have any one to go with. After reading this I think that I will plan a trip by myself.

khamedra19
06-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I recently drove from Maryland to Tucson, Arizona by myself. I took my time. So, it took me 6 days to drive well over 3,000 miles. I passed through Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Kentucky, Colorado, and Arizona. I spent time in Cincinatti, St. Louis, Denver, Boulder, Vail, Aspen, Durango, the Grand Canyon, and Tucson. I passed through the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture mountains, Rocky mountains, and the San Juan mountains. I also passed through Najavo country and saw my first native americans up close. It was an amazing, life changing experience.

In November, I&#39;ll be going to Montreal by myself for a Thai yoga massage training. The following fall, I&#39;ll have a couple of months to chill. So, I&#39;ll be off to Spain, France, and Italy. I&#39;m eager to find out if Italian men are as nuts about Black women as people say. ;)

I usually go to movies alone, dine out alone, and shop alone. So, travelling solo is like second nature to me. That cross country trip was such a spiritual and meditative experience for me. To have had company would have totally spoiled things.

khamedra19
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
justiceone,

Toronto is a fabulous town! Been twice and in the dead of winter too!! Airfare is cheap. I bought a roundtrip ticket for $140. Also, the USD is stronger than the CD. So, your money will go further. I went there to see my then boyfriend. So, we were all about eating, shopping, and public displays of affection :blush: . Make sure you visit one of the Lush stores. Lush is SO expensive here in the states, but you can really rack up at the Canadian stores.

MYBELOVED
07-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey ladies,
A NP travel group would be great. I have the same problem you all have. It&#39;s hard finding people who have the time, resources, or interests I have. Going solo is an option, but having a buddy to get lost with, share meals with, or just someone to say "hey look at that" would be great. I want to see Canada, California, Gullah islands (S. Carolina),
Jamaica, PR, and Africa. I&#39;m not a clubber, but I&#39;m open. I love shopping, taking in culture, music, and just relaxing. I&#39;m open to any time to travel, except major holidays and birthdays. Best times would be November or around dates kids have off from school (for my job).
So whatcha think, people? Let&#39;s keep this thread going. :)

Lexxe
07-05-2005, 12:41 AM
I love, love, love solo travel. Next trip coming up I&#39;ll be going with my boyfriend and that&#39;s nice too :wub: but there is something about arriving someplace all on your own skills and power and knowing you can do whatever you want when you get there. And being alone really gives you time to sort things out in your mind.

My first solo trip outside the US was to India for three months and it had its bad moments (sometimes you really want someone to eat dinner with and talk over the crazy day) but you meet other travelers so easily in hostels and guesthouses. And locals can be so friendly and concerned when they find out you&#39;re alone that they take you under their wing a bit and you can have some experiences you wouldn&#39;t have had if you were with a group.

For anyone who really wants to go alone, I say do it. Do no hesitate. You will be rewarded!!

N1SEXYTING
07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
[quote]
I am afraid to go somewhere solo. I don&#39;t know why, but I just am. I haven&#39;t been anywhere alone at all. I am 23yo and would like to be comfortable going places alone, but I guess the only way to do that is to just do it! I agree that waiting on people to join you is very frustrating. Maybe I will plan a trip for this summer to go somewhere. Hmmm...

Man I thought I was alone, I&#39;m dying to go Cuba or Brazil but finding it hard to get anyone interested, I hav been contemplating flying solo but I can&#39;t hardly bring myself to go cinema byself let alone a foreign country :doh

Its not like I want to be attached to friends the whole time but would be nice to hav someone to share some experiences with!

Lexxe
07-14-2005, 05:15 PM
[quote]

Man I thought I was alone, I&#39;m dying to go Cuba or Brazil but finding it hard to get anyone interested, I hav been contemplating flying solo but I can&#39;t hardly bring myself to go cinema byself let alone a foreign country :doh

Its not like I want to be attached to friends the whole time but would be nice to hav someone to share some experiences with!

You could always try a short trip just to see how you feel. When I was 19 I took the train from SF (where I lived at the time) to Seattle for a long weekend. To be honest, it was not that much fun because I didn&#39;t really know what to do in a strange city by myself and I can be ridiculously shy - I was afraid to go into a museum by myself, etc. BUT I did learn that I would be fine by myself in terms of safety and that no one was staring at me. So a couple of years later after I had grown a bit I went on a month-long trip around the US and had the time of my life.

If you try it on a short trip you can see if it&#39;s for you or not. If not, you can try to find someone to go with, but if it is - you&#39;ll know before you buy an expensive ticket.

But one thing about traveling solo is you meet so many people to hang out with, other travelers and locals and it&#39;s a lot easier to do that solo then it is when you&#39;re with others.

Peaches
07-15-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by MYBELOVED@Jul 1 2005, 10:38 AM
Hey ladies,
A NP travel group would be great.

YES! That&#39;s the best idea I&#39;ve heard all year. Let&#39;s do it yall. This >> site (http://www.soulofamerica.com/home.shtml) has some wonderful information on the international tours, as well as tours across the US, train tours, cruises, all kinds of other things.

Let&#39;s go to France and turn Hermes out! I think we can do it yall. All it takes is commitment and planning.

clover22
07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by karatgold@May 23 2005, 08:27 AM
I travel solo quite often. I went to Korea at the end of last year. I highly recommend it. It&#39;s so cheap and easy to get around. Just make sure you get a map and some brochures of things to see and do. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but then again I moved all the way to Tokyo Japan to teach English. Alone!!! No Sweat!! Lol

P.S. I am going solo to Melbourne Australia on May 29th for one week. I will keep you all posted! :D

"Happiness is a journey not a destination......there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way. so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one." (souza)

Whao....I was in Korea last march...went alone for 1 week then the hubby came out the second week...loved the shopping though i was sick and tired of Kimchee and they must think chickens are gold cuz I could rarely find any to eat (I don&#39;t eat beef and pork).

Queencece
07-21-2005, 05:20 PM
I THINK I am going to be travelling alone to Las Vegas in Sept. One friend that was supposed to go, can&#39;t. The other one, is not saying anything at all one way or the other. :angry:

I, however, have booked my flight and room, so I figure if they wanted to go they would. So, having never gone and stayed anywhere by myself with no family in the city, it should be fun.

I am scared and excited at the same time though. Pissed too that this was their idea and they are backing out. :angry: Anyway, I will enjoy the MGM Grand all by my lonesome for 6 days and 5 nights. Come back relaxed and rejuvenated. I don&#39;t really need them to have fun. Maybe I need this time to myself for a reason?! :dunno:

Q

naturalbeauty
07-21-2005, 05:57 PM
I travelled solo the first time this year in March. That&#39;s by b/day month, I turned 30. As I approached 30, I decided to do s&#39;thing BIG to mark that milestone. My ideas ranged from parachuting, travelling to Miami, or Hawaii, to eventually deciding to travel to BERMUDA. It was the best week ever!!!! My itinenary was full, I was busy from sunrise, to sunset. I love hiking, or simply "footing" around to see things. I got absolutely beautiful photos that were my friends&#39; envy.
In my 20s I did travel quite a bit with friends, but I always felt "cheated".
The feeling of being alone is wonderful, and you get acquainted with a side of you you might never know you have, unless U are alone.
PS I found out what the local watering holes were in Berm, and went to the bar alone ...I only paid for my 1st drink. Guys I met at the bar took care of the rest including food. Men can&#39;t resist a single lady! ;)

Now that I know I can do it, and that many women do it all the time, I have soooo many places I wanna go!!

Queencece
07-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I am ALL FOR the travel group. I LOVE to travel. Let me know and I&#39;m there. :)

Q

Anywhere is fine...exotic places, historical places, etc. Just so you know, I have 5 good yrs left on my passport before I have to renew. :D

Queencece
07-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I am ALL FOR the travel group. I LOVE to travel. Let me know and I&#39;m there. :)

Q

Anywhere is fine...exotic places, historical places, etc. Just so you know, I have 5 good yrs left on my passport before I have to renew. :D

Queencece
07-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Don&#39;t know how the above posts ended up here. :dunno: They were meant for another forum. Damn comp! :angry:

Q

BlueIsis
07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
The Travel Group sounds great. Count me in! :)

twistedcurl
07-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by naturalbeauty@Jul 21 2005, 11:57 AM
I travelled solo the first time this year in March. That&#39;s by b/day month, I turned 30. As I approached 30, I decided to do s&#39;thing BIG to mark that milestone. My ideas ranged from parachuting, travelling to Miami, or Hawaii, to eventually deciding to travel to BERMUDA. It was the best week ever!!!! My itinenary was full, I was busy from sunrise, to sunset. I love hiking, or simply "footing" around to see things. I got absolutely beautiful photos that were my friends&#39; envy.
In my 20s I did travel quite a bit with friends, but I always felt "cheated".
The feeling of being alone is wonderful, and you get acquainted with a side of you you might never know you have, unless U are alone.
PS I found out what the local watering holes were in Berm, and went to the bar alone ...I only paid for my 1st drink. Guys I met at the bar took care of the rest including food. Men can&#39;t resist a single lady! ;)

Now that I know I can do it, and that many women do it all the time, I have soooo many places I wanna go!!

I am turning 30 in Sept. and I have always wanted to go to New York City...Most of my family and friends were saying I should have a big party...but I wanna see a place I have always wanted to see my whole life...so after much thought and reading this thread..I have decided to travel there alone and have the time of my life...hopefully!!! :rolleyes:

justiceone
07-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by khamedra19@Jun 28 2005, 12:05 PM
justiceone,

Toronto is a fabulous town! Been twice and in the dead of winter too!! Airfare is cheap. I bought a roundtrip ticket for $140. Also, the USD is stronger than the CD. So, your money will go further. I went there to see my then boyfriend. So, we were all about eating, shopping, and public displays of affection :blush: . Make sure you visit one of the Lush stores. Lush is SO expensive here in the states, but you can really rack up at the Canadian stores.

Thanks, Khamedra! I can&#39;t wait to visit. I would love to go next year for Caribana too. I think I&#39;ll start saving up now.... :P

@ Mybeloved, I agree, a travel group is a great idea. I&#39;m always up for travel...as my pocketbook permits of course. lol Let&#39;s keep each other updated on travel tips and destinations.

nchristina
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Count me in for the travel group too.

MYBELOVED
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Alright y&#39;all. I&#39;m feeling inspired. Justiceone, I&#39;m definitely doing caribana next year and saving my pennies as I write. Nchristina, I will
keep y&#39;all posted on travel links and deals. Thanks to all you adventurous ladies who do it alone for sharing your wisdom. Going solo
is something I have to do at least once for myself. Peace.

librarising
07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
I&#39;m going to visit a couple friends on the west coast in the new year, and after that, I&#39;m trekking through New Mexico and maybe Arizona for a few days, staying in hostels. Soooo, if anyone knows anything about the area (especially Albuquerque, and NM in general) lemme know &#39;cause I am clueless and doing this on complete whim :D .

control
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by justiceone@Jun 11 2005, 07:55 AM
For those of you that have traveled alone, how do you explain it to your close friends, families, or SOs?

I mentioned to some that I&#39;d like to go to Toronto by myself (anyone been before?) and everyone was insistent that I take someone else too. Some friends take it personal--thinking that I don&#39;t want to hang out with them, and my family is concerned about my safety...thinking I&#39;ll get accosted in the "mean streets" of Canada. :doh I understand their concern, but I think the idea of taking a solo trip sounds exciting to me. ^_^

Has anyone else had this experience when they travel alone, and how do you handle it?

I traveled alone to Toronto over the long July 4 weekend. I was meeting up with some friends though. It was my first time out of the country and I was admittedly apprehensive.

Toronto is a BEAUTIFUL city. Very diverse compared to say, Mississippi where I&#39;m from. I stayed with my friends while I was there and loved every minute of it. I&#39;m planning on returning for the long Labor Day weekend (just started a new job so it&#39;s impossible to get vacation days off).

I flew out that Saturday morning early early and got to Toronto by noon. My departing flight that Monday was supposed to be at 4pmish and I got so caught up in saying goodbyes (love love love the people, my friends, and Toronto!) that I MISSED MY FLIGHT. Talk about a freak out waiting to happen. But the people at Northwest got me on a flight leaving for the States ASAP. Granted I had to HUSTLE to catch it, but I did.

If you ever travel outside of the US.....make certain you get to the airport at least 1 hour early....in retrospect I&#39;d get there at least an 1 1/2.....I got caught in an awful rainstorm on the 401 to Pearson and with all of that traffic (the worst traffic I&#39;ve ever seen in my life) I got to the airport with 15 minutes until take off. Uh, don&#39;t do that, ladies. I know I will never again! :blush: Customs is a b**** to get through, especially coming back into the States! The line is LOOOOOOOOOONG. Getting into Canada, no problem, 5 minutes tops, no super long line. Getting out of Canada? Whole &#39;nother animal.

Also, make sure you have your passport, you can&#39;t move across borders anymore without it!

But back to the point....if you want to see amazing diversity, travel to Toronto! :wub:

control
07-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by inkysphinx@Jun 17 2005, 01:06 PM
For someone traveling alone for the FIRST time outside of the US, do you recommend working with a travel agency to ensure that all the important details are taken care of?

Since I was meeting up with and staying with friends I didn&#39;t have to worry about alot really. My friends were great hosts and I really got to see what living in Toronto, not being a tourist in Toronto, was all about.

However, I booked my flight with a travel agent. If I were to go outside of the States or maybe even just traveling nationally, I think I&#39;d use a travel agent simply because they can get you some really good deals. I wanted to fly out of a smaller airport and sometimes those flights can be more expensive. Still, my travel agent was able to get me 100 dollars off my ticket price flying out of this small airport! Much less expensive than anything I saw on Expedia.

But yeah, if I were going to travel internationally I&#39;d definitely get a travel agent to help me plan my trip. Sometimes they&#39;ve actually traveled to the place you want to go to, and they can tell you some helpful things about your destination(s). My agent had been to Vancouver but not Toronto, unfortunately, so she wasn&#39;t very helpful in that respect. I ended up buying one of those city travel guides and relying on my friends to help navigate the city.

Miss Wadadli
08-12-2005, 04:30 AM
YEAH!! People who travel ALONE!!

I saw so much on this thread to address...

First...Just WHY do you need to explain your solo travel plans??? :unsure:

My answer when others used to ask was...I want to get away from YOU!!! :D

Places I&#39;ve been solo...Trinidad, Tobago, Anguilla, Barbados, Calgary, Toronto, Antigua, Grenada, St. Martin, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John, and most of the Continental US. They have all been great trips, and my only advice is:

1) make sure someone has your itinerary
2) make multiple copies of your passport, drivers license and travellers checks, leave one set with someone at home, keep one set in a secret place in your suitcase and leave one in the hotel safe. If your ID is stolen, it&#39;s easier to replace your travel documents.
3) Although islands are still fairly safe, they are not crime free. Don&#39;t travel to anywhere you aren&#39;t familiar with, or with anyone you don&#39;t know.
4) Do NOT, under any circumstances, pick up ANYTHING you didn&#39;t bring there (i.e tourist trap, booty calls, quick flings...you know what I mean! :blush: ) Nine times out of ten, he gots a girlfriend...AND he picked up somebody the week before YOU!! :pointlaugh:

Outside of that...go, meet people, flirt, look cute and have a good time!!

justiceone
12-31-2005, 01:08 AM
I know this is wayyyy late. Thanks everyone for your great advice/replies. I am definitely going to Toronto in the next few months...hopefully in the spring when it warms up...maybe again in the summer for Caribana!

For those of you who have recently traveled or are planning a trip soon, please share your stories. Hopefully I&#39;ll have some exciting stories of my own to share soon! :)

MYBELOVED
01-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I know this is wayyyy late. Thanks everyone for your great advice/replies. I am definitely going to Toronto in the next few months...hopefully in the spring when it warms up...maybe again in the summer for Caribana!

For those of you who have recently traveled or are planning a trip soon, please share your stories. Hopefully I&#39;ll have some exciting stories of my own to share soon! :)
[/b]

Hey. PM isn&#39;t working. I wanted to ask you what&#39;s up with Caribana & do you want to plan a trip with some other nappies just to save on hotel costs and have someone lookin out while you&#39;re there. let me know. I can start going to travel agents. I know nothing about caribana or where it will be. I wanna go though.

Batyah
01-04-2006, 02:02 AM
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I&#39;m beginning to realize this myself. <_< My close friends that I wouldn&#39;t mind traveling with all have responsibilities that won&#39;t allow them to just pick-up and go like I can.

topseekrit
01-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I went to Toronto two years ago solo for Caribana, it was a lot of fun and boy talk about some fine tinidadian men! :P If a group trip is in the making, count me in!

justiceone
01-08-2006, 03:37 AM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Hey. PM isn&#39;t working. I wanted to ask you what&#39;s up with Caribana & do you want to plan a trip with some other nappies just to save on hotel costs and have someone lookin out while you&#39;re there. let me know. I can start going to travel agents. I know nothing about caribana or where it will be. I wanna go though.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds like fun...I just sent you a PM.

Gacela20
01-15-2006, 01:51 AM
I&#39;m also interested in travelling solo. I think that you learn a lot about yourself while you&#39;re enjoying new sites and experiences alone. For anyone interested, there&#39;re two sites that I came across recently for people who want more than the average tourist. The first is http://www.languagesabroad.com and the second is http://www.globalexperiences.com .

LotsOfLocs
01-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I have traveled to Jamaica, London, and Ghana, West Africa alone.

inkysphinx
01-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I&#39;m definitely getting over the fear of traveling alone, but traveling solo can be hella expensive! It seems like all the deals on the net are for double occupancy. Singles shouldn&#39;t be penalized, I think.

MissThing606
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I too, am a single 20-something who travels solo.

I planned a holiday on my own in 2004 when my trip to New York fell through TWICE because the other people couldnt make it. One got pregnant and would have been too heavy, the other two couldn&#39;t afford it even though they told me they wanted to come. So I decided - just like going to the cinema - if I was going to wait for people, I&#39;d get old. I&#39;m free and solvent NOW and my twenties will be over soon.

So... I&#39;ve been to Rome twice NYC a few times. subsquent new york visits were more like crazy escapades. e.g. book a flight and leave the next day! I didn&#39;t tell anyone. But my mum did get upset when she found out once after the fact.

I would have gone to Paris or Calais last weekend if the weather in Europe hadn&#39;t been so miserable.

I&#39;m going to florence with friends in a fortnight. Now that I&#39;ve got a guide book and actually looked at the damned place I&#39;m suprised I&#39;ve never been tempted to go before! It&#39;s a solo paradiese! and everything is within walking distance.

To everyone who&#39;s scared to go solo, I say take the plunge. you might feel shaky at first but it&#39;s soo good! :D

Barklel
02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I haven&#39;t read everyone&#39;s post but I plan on going solo soon. I wanted to go to Hawaii by myself (for my 30th next year - I&#39;ve already explained this to friends and family)... I&#39;m not married nor in a relationship - THAT&#39;s the only way I&#39;d WANT to go somewhere with anyone at this point in my life. My mother and I took my 3 year old son (at the time) to Disney World.. and it was all about him, but I want peace- serenity....I want to breathe alone and take in the beauty of the surrounding w/out having to worry about if my son&#39;s ok (not to be like that - but I want some me time away) & if whomever I am with is having a good time..... that&#39;s not what I want. I went to Miami w/ a friend and we are so much alike (both Capricorns ) but she likes to take noon day naps.... when I&#39;m on vaca I do NOT want to take a nap.. I want to vacation to the fullest! One thing that turned me off from that Miami trip is I wanted to be a tourist and enjoy what MIA had to offer but no.. my friend wanted those noon day naps, wanted to people watch (it was Hip Hop weekend -ugh.. I HATED IT.... TOOOO many people.. too many children as well) and didn&#39;t want to do the things that I wanted to do... it SUCKED! So I&#39;ll just have to do it solo.. because me (aside from the people that are in my circle) - I am a planner and I put those plans into action... (Capricorns are notorious for planning :D)

tran68
02-23-2006, 02:32 AM
My mother and I took my 3 year old son (at the time) to Disney World.. and it was all about him, but I want peace- serenity....I want to breathe alone and take in the beauty of the surrounding w/out having to worry about if my son&#39;s ok (not to be like that - but I want some me time away) [/b]

Our Disney trip was GREAT :) ....for the kids...and that was my intent for that trip, but I too so long for an alone trip where it can be just ME and I can arise and go to bed when I want and do whatever I want.....I love my friends and family to death but after "vacationing" with all of them it&#39;s something to be said for just going solo and doing everything on your OWN terms....my SO told me tonite that I need to get right selfish and say to HECK with errybody and do ME and that&#39;s exactly what Imma do....soon! :)

PHATDOO
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I have never traveled outside the country alone. I&#39;ve gone to different states alone. Which isn&#39;t so bad. I make sure that I have all forms of ID on me on the back it has emergency information. I also make sure that my cell is charged.

If you have never traveled alone...always make up an itinerary in advance and purchase a map! You will have a lot of fun!

RockStar
03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I too, am a single 20-something who travels solo.

I planned a holiday on my own in 2004 when my trip to New York fell through TWICE because the other people couldnt make it. One got pregnant and would have been too heavy, the other two couldn&#39;t afford it even though they told me they wanted to come. So I decided - just like going to the cinema - if I was going to wait for people, I&#39;d get old. I&#39;m free and solvent NOW and my twenties will be over soon.

So... I&#39;ve been to Rome twice NYC a few times. subsquent new york visits were more like crazy escapades. e.g. book a flight and leave the next day! I didn&#39;t tell anyone. But my mum did get upset when she found out once after the fact.

I would have gone to Paris or Calais last weekend if the weather in Europe hadn&#39;t been so miserable.

I&#39;m going to florence with friends in a fortnight. Now that I&#39;ve got a guide book and actually looked at the damned place I&#39;m suprised I&#39;ve never been tempted to go before! It&#39;s a solo paradiese! and everything is within walking distance.
To everyone who&#39;s scared to go solo, I say take the plunge. you might feel shaky at first but it&#39;s soo good! :D
[/b]

Hey! I just bought my tix(solo, first timer here!) to Europe yesterday, and I&#39;m thinking of stopping off in Florence for a few nights in mid-May, when were you planning to go?

Barklel
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Our Disney trip was GREAT :) ....for the kids...and that was my intent for that trip, but I too so long for an alone trip where it can be just ME and I can arise and go to bed when I want and do whatever I want.....I love my friends and family to death but after "vacationing" with all of them it&#39;s something to be said for just going solo and doing everything on your OWN terms....my SO told me tonite that I need to get right selfish and say to HECK with errybody and do ME and that&#39;s exactly what Imma do....soon! :)
[/b]

I am so with you on this...... but not really, because I want to go solo.... :P

Ebony_Grace
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I&#39;m so glad I found this thread! It has inspired me to continue with my plans to go to Aruba. I have been planning to attend Music Soulbeach for a year and my girlfriend said she wanted to attend. Well after doing all the research I finally went and spoke with a reservationist to make our travel plans. Long story short, after she found out the price of the trip, she decided that she wanted to "think it over". She is letting other people, who have never been to Aruba, influence her decision. They are telling her the price is too much. I disagree. We are staying at a 4 star hotel, with an all inclusive package for flight, hotel, and all meals for $1700-$2000, May 24-29.

Is that a bad deal? I don&#39;t think so.

Barklel
03-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I&#39;m so glad I found this thread! It has inspired me to continue with my plans to go to Aruba. I have been planning to attend Music Soulbeach for a year and my girlfriend said she wanted to attend. Well after doing all the research I finally went and spoke with a reservationist to make our travel plans. Long story short, after she found out the price of the trip, she decided that she wanted to "think it over". She is letting other people, who have never been to Aruba, influence her decision. They are telling her the price is too much. I disagree. We are staying at a 4 star hotel, with an all inclusive package for flight, hotel, and all meals for $1700-$2000, May 24-29.

Is that a bad deal? I don&#39;t think so.
[/b]

That&#39;s a GREAT DEAL!!

My friend (the noon day napper) has convinced me to go on a cruise in Jan w/ her, her mother, her mothers husband a a whole bunch of people that she plans to round up. The only reason I&#39;m going is because it&#39;s on a cruise and I can roam and have fun by myself..... It&#39;s on the Royal Carribean&#39;s Freedom of the Sea... I can&#39;t wait to rock climb .... I&#39;ll be 30 in January so I better go somewhere....

hello kitty
03-11-2006, 12:17 PM
summer 2001, i was planning a trip to australia w/ my boyfriend....we broke up in the middle of planning, and i almost didn&#39;t go.

i was sad and a little nervous......but i was determined to continue w/the plans!

then 9/11 happened....i am already afraid to fly, and this horrible act of terrorism almost kept me grounded! i was ready to scrap the whole thing...i definitely did not want to die on an airplane alone!

well, i ended up going (flew out nov 1st....two months after 9/11)...and i had the best time W/OUT MY PUNK A$$ BOYFRIEND!!!!!

i stayed w/aussie friends on the east coast...traveled w/contiki tour (35 & under) up the coast to the rainforest...then flew to the red centre for a camping tour....flew to sydney....then ended up back w/my friends for the last few days...I HAD THE BEST TIME!!!!

i think i enjoyed the trip more because i didn&#39;t have to compromise on the trip....i did what I wanted to do! i could hang w/the tour group...or do my own thing!

my next big trip will be to thailand (when i save up some cash) and if nobody wants to go w/me....i will go solo again....great way to meet new people!

http://i2.tinypic.com/r23vqb.jpg

MissThing606
03-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey! I just bought my tix(solo, first timer here!) to Europe yesterday, and I&#39;m thinking of stopping off in Florence for a few nights in mid-May, when were you planning to go?
[/b]

I&#39;ve just returned from florence, I havent finished uploading my pics ibn my Fotki. I&#39;ll post when I&#39;ve finished. Florence is easy to do in a few days, the city centre is so easy to walk through and very picturesque! it&#39;ll be beautiful in May :D

Blckbeauty
03-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I&#39;m totally interested in the travel group. I&#39;m in great need of a
retreat and look forward to seeing this idea materialize. Count me
in, and I&#39;ll stay posted!

thurmiere
03-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I am so glad to be among people who don&#39;t view it as taboo to travel solo. I would love to travel alone but that little voice in my head tells me "Oh, don&#39;t go alone. Don&#39;t ever go any where alone. We will look at you crazy". But waiting on people is crazy, and I want to travel now while I&#39;m young and financially able. I plan on going to the Essence Festival in Houston, but I wantto go somewhere else in the states before I move. In August, I&#39;m moving to Honduras to teach elementary school. I&#39;ll be there for two years. I do plan to travel within central and south america while i&#39;m there, but there are so many great places here in the states that I want to see before i leave. like new york and miami. any suggestions? i am interested in a travel group. That would be great!

mariamichelle
03-22-2006, 07:42 AM
I am going to the Reggae Sumfest in Jamaica in July if anyone wants to come.

aymst1
04-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I&#39;m going to Brazil this summer. I said before I wanted to go, now I&#39;m going. Anyone want to come with? No, seriously. Looking for a travel buddy.

ValleyOfDecision
04-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Went to Switzerland with a friend of mine for about 2 weeks. She needed some time alone, so we split up for a few days and I traveled around the country alone. That was the best time I ever had. We met back up in Zurich a few days later. Now I&#39;m hooked on traveling alone and plane to do it again soon (hopefully this year; if not <_< then definitely next year).

nomoreburns
04-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I really want to go to Jamacia but some people tell me that its not safe with a single woman. Has anyone been there alone ? I&#39;ll need to book my trip in the next 4 days or I&#39;ll be stuck at home for my vacation..please help !

phenomenal40
04-15-2006, 03:42 AM
I&#39;m going to Brazil this summer. I said before I wanted to go, now I&#39;m going. Anyone want to come with? No, seriously. Looking for a travel buddy.
[/b]

I traveled to Brazil by myself two years ago. Stay in youth hostels or got to one of the local travel agencies and sign up for a tour group. You&#39;ll have no problem meeting other people. Have fun!

Scrills
04-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I thinking about going to Thailand alone. My concern is that I don&#39;t speak the language.

For those of you who traveled outside of the country, did you speak the native language?

griffick
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Although I have never been anywhere alone, or out of the country even with family I decided to go out on a whim and travel to Spain this summer. I will be gone for about 6 weeks. I will let yall know how it goes.

O, I don&#39;t speak Spanish, but hopefully I will by time I come back. Before I go I will probably focus on learning basic phrases like:

"Where is the ladies room?" and important things like that!

BUT I AM SOOO EXCITED :afro: