PDA

View Full Version : Napptural In The Work Place

naturalle1
05-21-2005, 12:12 AM
How do you keep a professional appearance and still grow out your twa. I currently sport a 2 inch twa and I deal with the public on a regular basis. I want to keep my hair neat and in place but that means frequent trips to the barber. Also how do you deal with coworkers and management.

jaznia15
05-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by naturalle1@May 20 2005, 07:12 PM
How do you keep a professional appearance and still grow out your twa. I currently sport a 2 inch twa and I deal with the public on a regular basis. I want to keep my hair neat and in place but that means frequent trips to the barber. Also how do you deal with coworkers and management.

I don't work but I do have a TWA. When my mother had a TWA she wasn't told that she wasn't unprofessional because of a hairstyle. She even had the bald style for a quick minute. I have never heard of a TWA being unprofessional, and it sounds like it might be a personal problem with your management. Look in your employee guideline book and if it doesn't mention anything about a TWA, then just don't worry about it.

CaribbeanQueen
05-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by naturalle1@May 21 2005, 01:12 AM

I used to work for an investment bank that was big on the so called "professional appearance."

When I did the BC it was right after a trip to Barbados. i came back to work 4 weeks later and everyone was like, :shocker: mainly because they were used to seeing me wearing weaves and short Halle Berry styles . Funny thing is, the most positive reaction I recieved was from caucasian collegues. :dunno:

As my hair started to grow, I wore a head band around the front, jelled the edges and wore my fro. Sometimes I got flat twists in the front or I would just wet and moisturize my hair and wear a kinky/curly look. On the days that i wanted a break I sported a headwrap/scarf.

The bottom line is, you teach people how to treat u. If you're confident in your mind that your hair looks "neat" & "professional" when u leave for work in the morning, then your collegues and management will have no other alternative but to see it that way as well.

The way I see it, the 'growing out" phase can be kind of awkward with any style. Whether you're natural or have a chemical fire cream.

At least with the :afro: u r being true 2 U ;)

Poohbear215
05-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Having a TWA shouldn't be a problem in the workplace. I've seen several magazines, commercials, and even actual black women with TWAs working in offices. How else are you suppose to wear your hair when it's that short? Just sport your TWA with confidence and make sure you keep that professional image through your dress and personality.

naturalay
05-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Why would a TWA be considered "unprofessionnal"? This style si so neat
Can you explain me please? :(

WebDiva
05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by CaribbeanQueen@May 21 2005, 10:19 AM
The bottom line is, you teach people how to treat u. If you're confident in your mind that your hair looks "neat" & "professional" when u leave for work in the morning, then your collegues and management will have no other alternative but to see it that way as well.

I agree with this...when I first did the BC, I was just getting used to it and when I went to work I was somewhat self-conscious and didn't know what other people would think. Once I became comfortable with it myself, that didn't even matter anymore. But not once did anyone suggest that it wasn't professional and I got plenty of compliments from co-workers.

For me, it turned out that the people at work were the most supportive and liked it anyway...the resistance I got was from my friends and family.

AlwaysWrite
05-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by naturalle1@May 20 2005, 05:12 PM
How do you keep a professional appearance and still grow out your twa. I currently sport a 2 inch twa

I hear ya. I'm just coming out of that awkward growth phase myself. I sported the TWA for about two months, but am currently wearing twist extensions while my hair grows to a length I'm comfortable with and can style easily. Probably only about another month. The twists are easy to just pull back into a neat little bun plus they protect my hair from constant styling. I wouldn't recommend extensions as a long term thing because they can be damaging, but if it'll help you while your hair grows try them.

Some of the other posters seemed to think you were calling the TWA 'unprofessional' but I'm guessing what you mean is that you're feeling awkward because your naps haven't quite gotten to the length where you feel confident that you can style and make it look professional.

Spirit
05-22-2005, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by CaribbeanQueen+May 21 2005, 03:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-naturalle1@May 21 2005, 01:12 AM

I used to work for an investment bank that was big on the so called "professional appearance."

When I did the BC it was right after a trip to Barbados. i came back to work 4 weeks later and everyone was like, :shocker: mainly because they were used to seeing me wearing weaves and short Halle Berry styles . Funny thing is, the most positive reaction I recieved was from caucasian collegues. :dunno:

As my hair started to grow, I wore a head band around the front, jelled the edges and wore my fro. Sometimes I got flat twists in the front or I would just wet and moisturize my hair and wear a kinky/curly look. On the days that i wanted a break I sported a headwrap/scarf.

The bottom line is, you teach people how to treat u. If you&#39;re confident in your mind that your hair looks "neat" & "professional" when u leave for work in the morning, then your collegues and management will have no other alternative but to see it that way as well.

The way I see it, the &#39;growing out" phase can be kind of awkward with any style. Whether you&#39;re natural or have a chemical fire cream.

At least with the :afro: u r being true 2 U ;)

[/b]
:smil3f72836ee752e:

Beautiful_Vision
05-22-2005, 02:46 PM
When my hair was that short I wore two strand twists. Everyone thought it was cute. A friend of mine wears a TWA. She says she hasn&#39;t gotten any negative feedback. I think these days it&#39;s more acceptable. As long as you don&#39;t bring attention to it, then I don&#39;t see why it should be a huge deal. I guess as long as it doesn&#39;t look like a huge mess.
I think as long as you&#39;re dressed appropriately, and I&#39;m sure you are, your hair is the last thing anyone should be concerned with.

berryblack
05-22-2005, 05:52 PM
I don&#39;t wear two-stranded twists, flat twists or cornrows to work. Those old school white folks would get rid of me real quick. The fro is nice and neat so I don&#39;t think it should be a problem.

jtsupa
05-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I dont have a TWA but im in an ackward growth stage some where between a TWA and a BAA and I have two were a baseball cap at work now one would not call this a professional business type envirorment BUT I cant my hair how I would like to half because it wont fit under the hat ( i even posted a thread about it) unless its in twist and the other half now check this out is because it seen to be unsanitary NOW THIS IS NEW TO ME I WORE A TWIST OUT ON FRIDAY BECAUSE MY TWIST WERE JUST NOT CUTTIN IT FOR ME ANY MORE AND THE TWIST OUT JUST BARLEY FIT UNDER THE HAT WITH OUT LOOKIN REDICULUS AND I HAD TO JAM IT ON MY HEAD AND REARANGE IT FOR LIKE FIVE MINUTES AND I JUST LET THE ENDS HANG LIKE NORMAL
WELL I OVER HEAR SOMEONE SAYING THAT I NEEDED TO TWIST MY HAIR BACK UP BECAUSE HAVING ALL "THAT HAIR OUT" IS UNSANITARY MIND YOU MOST OF THE WOMEN WELL THERES ONLY TWO HAVE HAIR DOWN THE BACK AND WERE IT DOWN ALL THE TIME ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THERE HAIR IS STRAIGHT
OH YEAH I FORGOT TO ADD THAT I WORK IN A RESTURANT BUT I&#39;M NOT A COOK I &#39;M A CASHIER I STILL THINK THATS OUT THERE

Enshav
05-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by CaribbeanQueen@May 21 2005, 10:19 AM
If you&#39;re confident in your mind that your hair looks "neat" & "professional" when u leave for work in the morning, then your collegues and management will have no other alternative but to see it that way as well.

ITA with CaribbeanQueen. I have a 4 inch TWA that shrinks down to 1 inch and keeping it neat and clean is professional to me. I haven&#39;t paid a trip to the barber shop in a while because the shrinkage actually keeps it in shape. I haven&#39;t encountered any hair problems with co-workers, management, or the public.

footsiee
05-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Caribbean Queen said it. Wear your hair they way you want to with confidence and everyone will just have to deal with it. Last week I wore twists and this week I have box braids. I dress nicely and act professionally. I&#39;m only at three inches of length and my hair is fine so it doesn&#39;t look thick and full or hang down long. You shouldn&#39;t let anyone hinder your from wearing your hair in any way.

natural_butterfly4
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
When my hair was two inches I wore 2 strand twist.

auntme
05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
It warms my heart that you ladies even have this to worry about. It is an oldschool thing. But the fact that this thread is needed is progress.

Yolanda35
05-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I do not think it is based on professionalism, it is a matter of accepting ones hair for what it is. Most people have biased opinions towards women that wear there hair naturally anyway. Blacks as well as Whites. So to me, professionalism is not an issue.

I am currently wearing box braids to work. They are what some would call "plats." My coworker seen me and said that I look like a Real Coutry lady or someone from Native Africa. My response to her is that I am an African Lady, I just was born in America so having that look does not bother me.

My coworker and I have a relationship where we can freely express our feelings so there was no hurt envolved. I can only imagine what some of my other coworkers were thinking.

Like the other napsters said, just Do you. If it aint in the handbook, to hell wit them! :pointlaugh:

feepee
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I work for a credit union. although our normal dress code is casual (i work in the administrative building and don&#39;t see members daily) when i represent the company at PR events or in court, my wash and go TWA did just fine. no problems, no complaints. i did that for the first 4 inches. then i loc&#39;d. lol. but for the most part my shrunken fro was the style of the day.

i would sometimes wear twists or coils. and rarely i wore a puff. if you can call it that with 3 inches of hair. but again, no issues. consult your employee handbook if you&#39;re still not sure what is acceptable.

naturalle1
05-25-2005, 02:45 AM
First thanks to everyone
I personally don&#39;t think the Afro is unperfessional of any size or shape. I have had comments from executives as well as my manager that they liked my hair straight. One example I had my hair flaming hot tool of hair torture and one of the executives said,"Oh your hair is really nice it looks very professional now." I work for Bank where they&#39;re only 3 black women and I am one of the 3. I also checked the companies employee handbook and as long as my hair is not blue, purple, green, or a combination of colors, and neat in appearence the Afro is here to stay.