PDA

View Full Version : The Side Hustle...

charise
05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Remember that guy from Good Times..."My name is Lenny...And if you want Any...I gots Plenty..." ***As he opens his floor length mink coat and shows you his wares attached to the inside lining***:icon_headshake:

What do you do with friends who have those awful side jobs and are always trying to sell you something. I have a few friends who sell various things like Mary Kay, Vacuum Cleaners, long distance service, and Fire Alarm systems. I personally think that it's without good taste to approach a friend or collegue and give them the sales pitch without first seeing if I'm interested.

I have a friend (only been friends for a few months) who is selling a fire alarm system (the exact system I have in my home). She came over to give me the presentation under the guise of "I just started a new job, and I want you to hear my presentation to see how well I do... It turned from that to her telling me how much the system would cost me (over $1200). After I told her I already have the EXACT same system, she goes on to tell me that I need one more unit... :doh I wanted to tell her to get the F@#k out of my house, but she&#39;s a friend...I told her I&#39;m not interested and she goes on to tell me "Well you know you&#39;re not safe without a good fire alarm system, a regular systmen will not protect you when (yes she said &#39;when&#39;) you have a fire..." <_<
Now she won&#39;t stop calling leaving me messages trying to change the price here, skim the price there...But here&#39;s the problem...I NEVER TOLD HER I WAS INTERSTED!!!!!! :Angry_boese008:

Do I have a sign on my forehead that says, HEY, SELL ME ANYTHING!!!! I&#39;m like this...If it ain&#39;t Girl Scout Cookies, I can probably get it cheaper at Wal-Mart... <_< ...
What do I do to get her and my other friends off my back without severing the relationship? I tend to be a bit brutal when it comes to this kind of stuff.

emerald06
05-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I have a friend who was an Avon representative for a while. It was bad when I worked with her because she would ALWAYS leave a little booklet on my desk. I didn&#39;t have the heart to tell her that their fragrances STANK, but I purchased a couple of lipglosses every now and again.

I guess I dealt with it by acting like I would always *consider* buying something even when I knew I wasn&#39;t going too.

Also the "I&#39;m too broke this month" line went well too.

Good luck with your Lenny. Just hold fast to your guns and say that you don&#39;t need/want another alarm right now. Keep the same line and she will get the point later, if not sooner.

Button2004
05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
LOL @ this thread :lol:

charise
05-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I told her that I wasn&#39;t interested....REALLY, REALLY REALLY not interested...She had the nerve to be insulted...Oh well...

Sunchild
05-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Its always somebody trying to sell me Noni Juice or some knives. I just tell them I am not interested. :icon_headshake:

charise
05-26-2005, 10:34 PM
LOL!!! @ knives...I forgot about Noni Juice...Add that to my list...

Avon, Mary Kay, ACN, Noni, Rescue 2 Alarm system...What else????

MsShel330
05-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I&#39;ve had friends that were always trying to sell something. I think most people have friends/family like that.

Charise, I wonder if your friend didn&#39;t get into the burglar alarm business through a scam. I saw a local (Philly)TV news story about people who answered an ad in the newspaper to receive on the job training to become company managers. It turned out that the applicants were told that for a fee and a certain number of sales of the product, burglar alarms, they would become managers and make good salaries. Since they paid this money up front, they naturally became real pushy about selling alarms to people. The alarms were overpriced and nothing special so these folks were out of their own deposit money and weren&#39;t making anything on the sales of these burglar alarms.

Taddow
05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
I gotta a couple of friends who sell bootlegg movies but I find myself buying them because I got small children and can&#39;t go to the movies and drivein is to far.

divaemeritus
05-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Can we add PrePaid Legal to the list? Some folks might like it - but I ain&#39;t one of them.

charise
05-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by divaemeritus@May 26 2005, 07:00 PM
Can we add PrePaid Legal to the list? Some folks might like it - but I ain&#39;t one of them.

God yes! :doh

lifeAgift
05-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by charise@May 26 2005, 04:19 PM
I told her that I wasn&#39;t interested....REALLY, REALLY REALLY not interested...She had the nerve to be insulted...Oh well...

Hey where&#39;s Lenny????

charise
05-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by lifeAgift+May 26 2005, 07:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-charise@May 26 2005, 04:19 PM

Hey where&#39;s Lenny????

[/b]

Get outta here!!! You actually can hustle the hustlers...My hats off to you...

lifeAgift
05-27-2005, 02:36 AM
LAst time I did Pampered Chef I got like $250 (retail) worth of stuff that I actually like and use daily for like $99. Kept the good stuff sold the training materials and paper stuff back to the rep. Had a few shows earned some free stuff bought some more at a discount and got out when i got bored. Took a tax write off for a few miles the kit and a home offic biz.
truth is I really like pampered chef stones and tools, it just cost way to much !

Did the same with MAry Kay about 18 months ago.

SAme with AFLAC insurance about9 months ago. Made $3000 in like 6 weeks still getting residuals now, deducted class and testing fees from my taxes. Depreciated my home computer on taxes and deducted some miles too. I&#39;ll probably spend $150 on a continuind ed class this year, do a few open enrollments this fall make a few bucks and call it a day.

Actually looking for some decent natural products to rep , for a MINUTE! Looked into Warm Spirit...seemed a bit boring but who knows.

Will probably do Discovery Toys for my toddlers later.

I use to sell real estate too. Got me through a year and half of college with flexability and a few bucks,

Sistah&#39;s always gotta have a hustle.

Might even become a LIfe Coach once I get my stuff together. If Iyalana (sp) can do it, why can&#39;t I . I&#39;ve been thru some stuff too!

Got to keep the skill set diversified!!!

Ya never know?!?!?!?!?!

sonce
05-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by lifeAgift@May 27 2005, 02:36 AM
LAst time I did Pampered Chef I got like $250 (retail) worth of stuff that I actually like and use daily for like $99. Kept the good stuff sold the training materials and paper stuff back to the rep. Had a few shows earned some free stuff bought some more at a discount and got out when i got bored. Took a tax write off for a few miles the kit and a home offic biz.
truth is I really like pampered chef stones and tools, it just cost way to much !

SAme with AFLAC insurance about9 months ago. Made $3000 in like 6 weeks still getting residuals now, deducted class and testing fees from my taxes. Depreciated my home computer on taxes and deducted some miles too. I&#39;ll probably spend $150 on a continuind ed class this year, do a few open enrollments this fall make a few bucks and call it a day.

Actually looking for some decent natural products to rep , for a MINUTE! Looked into Warm Spirit...seemed a bit boring but who knows.

I use to sell real estate too. Got me through a year and half of college with flexability and a few bucks,

Might even become a LIfe Coach once I get my stuff together. If Iyalana (sp) can do it, why can&#39;t I . I&#39;ve been thru some stuff too!

Ya never know?!?!?!?!?!

Damn girl! Now this is the kind of industriousness I like to see...

*Taking notes*

charise
05-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by lifeAgift@May 26 2005, 08:36 PM

Ya never know?!?!?!?!?!

You are too much!!!

Sapphyyr
05-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by divaemeritus@May 26 2005, 08:00 PM

Okaaaaaaaaay!!!! Prepaid Legal! That was a good one! Great topic charise!

I am a person who has a distrust for all of this fly by night saleman stuff. Ooooh and by the way Charise, drop this so called friend. You&#39;ve only been friends for a few months, so it&#39;s no loss. You see that she has no respect for you or your boundaries, so save yourself some money and nerves and cut her off, pronto.

I HAVE ANOTHER ONE TO ADD....

Prime America Insurance

Can folks please leave me alone about this one! I&#39;ve been bamboozled once and almost-bamboozled twice w/ this one.

Scenario 1:
Old friend from h.s. calls me, says he&#39;ll be in the area and he would like to get together for lunch and catch up. I&#39;m all amped and excited b/c I love chatting! At the end of the conversation he mentions his "new business venture, Prime America." Needless to say, everyone knows that I keep in contact with a lot of people and see opportunity to reach the masses with me. However, this guy was very genuine though and to his credit, we had a lovely time catching up, minus all the sales talk. <_<

Scenario 2:
A friend of mine has a coworker, who encourages both of us to take part in alumni picnic in the area. My friend has informed the coworker that I was looking for a job in my field. This coworker suggests coming to the picnic as a networking event (which was cool). Then shortly after, the coworker asks my friend about my progress with job searching. My friend tells him that I am still searching. The coworker then tells my friend that he is having a gathering at his home the following weekend and his sister in law, who has some pull at a governmental agency (in my field) will be there. The coworker goes on and on about how this will be a great networking opportunity and starts spaming my friend at work with email reminders of "his weekend get-together." Slowly but surely, the coworker let it slip that he was trying to build his team of Prime America associates to sell insurance. <_<

In my moments of hopeless unemployment, after relocating to a new city, I finally receive a call back about a job opportunity. I am sooooo excited b/c I had been applying like crazy with no call backs. I returned the call to find the person was selling Prime America insurance and wanted to talk to me about a job opportunity "to own my own business." <_<

LelaDada
05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by divaemeritus@May 27 2005, 01:00 AM

Hey Now, I wouldnt knock that one... a VERY close friend of mine makes a 6 fig salary with that one :shocker: . ( Go Baby girl Go!! I&#39;m reppin for you!!) ( I&#39;m tryna get down now!!) HOLLA

Dont knock it till ya try it!! :P

charise
05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Sapphyyr+May 27 2005, 09:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-divaemeritus@May 26 2005, 08:00 PM
Can we add PrePaid Legal to the list? Some folks might like it - but I ain&#39;t one of them.

Okaaaaaaaaay!!!! Prepaid Legal! That was a good one! Great topic charise!

I am a person who has a distrust for all of this fly by night saleman stuff. Ooooh and by the way Charise, drop this so called friend. You&#39;ve only been friends for a few months, so it&#39;s no loss. You see that she has no respect for you or your boundaries, so save yourself some money and nerves and cut her off, pronto.

I HAVE ANOTHER ONE TO ADD....

Prime America Insurance

Can folks please leave me alone about this one! I&#39;ve been bamboozled once and almost-bamboozled twice w/ this one.

Scenario 1:
Old friend from h.s. calls me, says he&#39;ll be in the area and he would like to get together for lunch and catch up. I&#39;m all amped and excited b/c I love chatting! At the end of the conversation he mentions his "new business venture, Prime America." Needless to say, everyone knows that I keep in contact with a lot of people and see opportunity to reach the masses with me. However, this guy was very genuine though and to his credit, we had a lovely time catching up, minus all the sales talk. <_<

Scenario 2:
A friend of mine has a coworker, who encourages both of us to take part in alumni picnic in the area. My friend has informed the coworker that I was looking for a job in my field. This coworker suggests coming to the picnic as a networking event (which was cool). Then shortly after, the coworker asks my friend about my progress with job searching. My friend tells him that I am still searching. The coworker then tells my friend that he is having a gathering at his home the following weekend and his sister in law, who has some pull at a governmental agency (in my field) will be there. The coworker goes on and on about how this will be a great networking opportunity and starts spaming my friend at work with email reminders of "his weekend get-together." Slowly but surely, the coworker let it slip that he was trying to build his team of Prime America associates to sell insurance. <_<

In my moments of hopeless unemployment, after relocating to a new city, I finally receive a call back about a job opportunity. I am sooooo excited b/c I had been applying like crazy with no call backs. I returned the call to find the person was selling Prime America insurance and wanted to talk to me about a job opportunity "to own my own business." <_<

[/b]

LOL!!! :lol: That&#39;s mean...I had an ex who did something like that. He tried to call me up getting all chatty, then he sprung on me the fact that he was selling that discount medical insurance... <_< I was like "Dude, I have a full time job with excellent benefits..." :icon_twak: Then he said that this could be a better opportunity for myself and my coworkers...My response..."GET OUT!!!"

linette411
05-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LelaDada+May 27 2005, 10:57 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-divaemeritus@May 27 2005, 01:00 AM
Can we add PrePaid Legal to the list? Some folks might like it - but I ain&#39;t one of them.

Hey Now, I wouldnt knock that one... a VERY close friend of mine makes a 6 fig salary with that one :shocker: . ( Go Baby girl Go!! I&#39;m reppin for you!!) ( I&#39;m tryna get down now!!) HOLLA

[/b]

uhhh yea! Go take a look in the Finance board to see the real deal about Prepaid.

I just wanted to finish the quote on Lenny!!

HEY! MY NAME IS LENNY! IF I AINT GOT IT! THERE AINT ANY!!! :lol: :lol:

Lawd that takes me back!

~*welekevu*~
05-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Incense and body oils. I have like a ten year supply. Leave me alone.

lifeAgift
05-27-2005, 09:54 PM
pREPAID lEGAL???? :doh

Whatever happened to Melaluca, Amway, Herbalife and Arbonne? :lol:

Avon and tupperware are the pits.

And those folks with the wholesale magazine of all the little trinkets for sale, made in china.

But again folks gotta have a hustle.

During a brief unemployment spell I almost considered working at a VOLVO or Mercedes dealership. JUst so I could get the program car. Auto sales takes way to much time though.

During my last job hunt I went straight for the juglar in the interview and asked about salary, benefits, flexability and then work load/ responsibilities. I had been interviewing for months, got tired of the same old process of trying to sell myself . So I kept it real, negotiated a few bucks more than they were willing to pay, asked to see the budget before I agreed to work there and booked my first conference flight on their credit card before they could finish my background check. I think my take charge attitude keeps them jumping. Employers always want to know why they should hire you over Jane Doe, My question now is why should I work for you ?What is the trade off for the free will exploitation of my talents.

divaemeritus
05-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by LelaDada+May 27 2005, 11:57 AM-->

[/b]

LOL, a friend of mine makes 6 figures from ACN, it still works a nerve to the gristle. There is money to be made with any hustle... but it&#39;s still a hustle.

charise
05-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by divaemeritus+May 27 2005, 07:41 PM-->

Originally posted by LelaDada@May 27 2005, 11:57 AM

LOL, a friend of mine makes 6 figures from ACN, it still works a nerve to the gristle. There is money to be made with any hustle... but it&#39;s still a hustle.

[/b]

I had a man approach me about ACN. He was trying to recruit me, but I told him I wasn&#39;t interested because I had a full time job and I was going to school full time. I didn&#39;t have time to invest into it. He had the nerve to tell me that going to school was a waste of time, and in order to make money I wouldn&#39;t use my degree anyway....Mind you he was a doctor...Piece of shyte.... <_<

KhymFree
05-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by charise@May 26 2005, 03:20 PM
Remember that guy from Good Times..."My name is Lenny...And if you want Any...I gots Plenty..." ***As he opens his floor length mink coat and shows you his wares attached to the inside lining***:icon_headshake:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I use to LOVE that character. :lol:

seek_first
12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
bumping for the residual income people