PDA

View Full Version : 9yo Charged In Stabbing Death

Patrina
06-01-2005, 03:11 AM
9 yo charged in stabbing death (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8044197/)

Girl, 9, charged with stabbing 11-year-old pal
Manslaughter case unprecedented for New York City
The Associated Press
Updated: 7:33 a.m. ET May 31, 2005

NEW YORK - A 9-year-old girl fatally stabbed an 11-year-old girl in the chest with a kitchen knife during a fight over a ball, authorities said.

advertisement
The 9-year-old, whose name wasn’t released, was charged with manslaughter.

Police spokesman Paul Browne told The New York Times that he was “unaware of anyone younger implicated in such an act in New York City.”

The victim, Queen Washington, 11, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

“I don’t understand how this could happen,” Joyce Porter, Queen’s grandmother, told the Times. She said Queen’s mother had called her earlier that afternoon. “She told me, ’Queen is dead,”’ Porter said, adding, “It was over a ball.”

The girls had been playing together at the 9-year-old’s apartment on Monday, but the girl’s mother had stepped out to borrow something from a neighbor, police said.

A spokesman for the Brooklyn district attorney’s office said the case would go to family court because the girl is younger than 14.

---------------------------------------

What is happening with our youth? This goes deeper than home training. :icon_headshake:

P

librarising
06-01-2005, 06:15 AM
See the documentary Girlhood. One of the girls featured in the film murdered a girl at the age of 12. However, she'd been sexually assulted, pregnant, and alcoholic during those years. It does happen, but things like this are often swept under the rug. And I do agree, this goes far beyond home training.

lsubabiedee
06-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Family court? what does that mean?
I'm asking because I'm wondering what will happen to this girl now. Well she be labeled a criminal because she took someone else's life at the age of 9? What kind of treatment will she receive?
I can only hope that she will get a lot of counseling so she can get past this.

I wonder if she realized that she was gonna kill the other girl. :( so sad

divaemeritus
06-01-2005, 01:30 PM
A lot of times when a child goes thru family court, they are still sentenced to some type of punishment. However, their record is sealed when they turn 18 and can't be used against them once they reach adulthood.

Patrina
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
According to the news report, she could only get a max of 18 months as punishment. But I was listening with half an ear so I could have misheard.

P

lsubabiedee
06-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by divaemeritus+Jun 1 2005, 07:30 AM-->
A lot of times when a child goes thru family court, they are still sentenced to some type of punishment. However, their record is sealed when they turn 18 and can't be used against them once they reach adulthood.

[/b]

wow, ok, at least it wouldnt affect her getting a job or getting into school or something

<!--QuoteBegin-Patrina@Jun 1 2005, 08:16 AM
According to the news report, she could only get a max of 18 months as punishment. But I was listening with half an ear so I could have misheard.

P

hmm...thats not bad, but i wonder what kind of punishment it is

Tenkei
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Wow... Speechless.

TNAlex75
06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I pray that the little girl gets all the help that she needs. Children are growing up too fast these days. Life imitates art. :(

morena23
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
This is obviously a very sad case. I feel bad for the deceased&#39;s family and this little one also.

We have no idea what made this little girl harbor so much hate and to be 9 years old with such a black heart. There is clearly a problem with her upbringing, and I&#39;m convinced that her parents need to be evaluated.

Still, she needs to be punished. Many children who are allowed to do whatever they want can&#39;t process the act of punishment. She probably doesn&#39;t know that there are consequences for certain actions. She needs to learn NOW, from someone who is also able to show her some love that certain things are just not acceptable.

This breaks my heart.

KnappilyMe
06-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by lsubabiedee+Jun 1 2005, 09:25 AM-->

Originally posted by divaemeritus@Jun 1 2005, 07:30 AM
A lot of times when a child goes thru family court, they are still sentenced to some type of punishment. However, their record is sealed when they turn 18 and can&#39;t be used against them once they reach adulthood.

wow, ok, at least it wouldnt affect her getting a job or getting into school or something

<!--QuoteBegin-Patrina@Jun 1 2005, 08:16 AM
According to the news report, she could only get a max of 18 months as punishment. But I was listening with half an ear so I could have misheard.

P

hmm...thats not bad, but i wonder what kind of punishment it is

[/b] once you hit 18 the files are seald i am not sure about 18 mos though. Here in Ohio they can get what we call "juvie life" just means they are in jail to the age of 21.

KnappilyMe
06-01-2005, 03:46 PM
dp.

liberationtheory
06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by librarising@Jun 1 2005, 01:15 AM
See the documentary Girlhood. One of the girls featured in the film murdered a girl at the age of 12. However, she&#39;d been sexually assulted, pregnant, and alcoholic during those years. It does happen, but things like this are often swept under the rug. And I do agree, this goes far beyond home training.

that film was soo revealing! it is amazing how much young people have to put up with.. i was happy to see that one particular girl who had been through SO much end up doing positive things in her life. but on the other hand it was so disheartening to see the other young lady continue to repeat the vicious cycle that was set by her grandmother, mother, etc..

liberationtheory
06-01-2005, 05:09 PM
actually not all files are sealed just b/c one turns 18. there are circumstances when they are kept open. also kids can get a life sentence which means after they turn 18, they get sent to the adult prison.

i dont know anything about this case, but just wanted to clarify a few things.

librarising
06-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by libertyacc+Jun 1 2005, 12:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-librarising@Jun 1 2005, 01:15 AM
See the documentary Girlhood. One of the girls featured in the film murdered a girl at the age of 12. However, she&#39;d been sexually assulted, pregnant, and alcoholic during those years. It does happen, but things like this are often swept under the rug. And I do agree, this goes far beyond home training.

that film was soo revealing! it is amazing how much young people have to put up with.. i was happy to see that one particular girl who had been through SO much end up doing positive things in her life. but on the other hand it was so disheartening to see the other young lady continue to repeat the vicious cycle that was set by her grandmother, mother, etc..

[/b]

What saved that girl was that she had a supportive family, especially her mother. The one with the drug addicted mother didn&#39;t have anybody. I wonder what she&#39;s doing with her life these days. I would be nice if the director made a follow-up documentary with the two of them.

liberationtheory
06-02-2005, 04:06 AM
i didnt see it, but my gf told me that oprah did a follow up with them. apparently the black girl has a child and was doing nursing school or something to that effect. the other girl was "tryna get herself together" but still seemed like she was up to the same ole same ole.

hpnotiq
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
kids are so vicious these days

sunsweet
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Hmmm... I&#39;m not so sure about the &#39;kids these days&#39; attitude.

I think the problem of this girl is psychological, if nothing else. It is in no way &#39;normal&#39; for a child to get so angry to the point where they not only physically assault someone else, but to kill them. This girl is mentally ill, and I pray that she gets the help that she needs...