PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Sew Some Of Their Own Clothes?

afronappy
09-10-2003, 06:22 AM
i have been meaning to go out and buy a sewing machine to sew my own clothes. i don't like many of the clothes that are sold in commercial stores and they cost a lot as well. i get tired of the same trends and overpriced products that rip up after minimal stress.

anyone actually sew some of their own clothing? i'm talking skirts, dresses, pants/jeans, african inspired ensembles or dresswear... maybe you can even sell or swap them on the swap forum here...

::blessings::

honeychild
09-10-2003, 06:20 PM
i have made my own clothes since high school, because i couldn't find skirts or dresses that reached all the way to my ankles. i LOVE rocking the handmade gear; it's always one of a kind.

CarolinaAfro
09-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Moms does. She made most of our dresses when we were kids. Now she sews a lot for her self.

A older lady I know sews EVERYTHING. I'm talking about suits with hats and purses to match.

I'm still in the learning stages but I plan on making a few things for myself.

Neosoul
09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
One seamstress chiming in....it's a shame I haven't made anything in a while. I love making love skirts the best.

-Nicky-

Artsyblack
09-10-2003, 09:31 PM
I took up Fashion Design as a trade almost 20 years ago, Yikes!!!

I learned mostly the technical side of design so I have the ability to draft my own patterns from start to finish. As well as grade up or down and do knock offs.

The last couple of things I did was take a pair of old oversized 60's funky polyester mens pants and recut and modified them to fit me. They turned out really good.
And I ruined a long black velvet skirt by cutting one side of the grain the wrong way. :mad:

Yeah, the price of today's fashion is rediculious, "It's either handmade or second hand" for me. I know the cost of what those clothes really worth before they leave the manufactors companies. :nohuh:

Bogle
09-11-2003, 03:19 AM
Another seamstress checking in. I'm looking forward to getting my fall/winter gear together.

MuthaErth
09-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Bogle@Sep 10 2003, 06:19 PM
Another seamstress checking in. I'm looking forward to getting my fall/winter gear together.
i'm working on mine now

Cia
09-11-2003, 07:13 AM
good! then I know exactly where to come to when i have some questions.

ini
09-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by locizm@Sep 11 2003, 02:13 AM
good! then I know exactly where to come to when i have some questions.
me too! so many women on my dad's side of the fam sew i feel like i should take it up too. i can't wait!

ByHis Grace
09-12-2003, 04:06 AM
@ini--> girl, you crochet, you knit , you bead and NOW you gonna

make your own clothes !!!??? You go girl !

Your are very resourceful, I admire that !

Let me get off this net and go pick up my room go to bed...

I got some new " bails " for my gem stone pendants today.. I want to get at least one set to wear tomorrow.

mommamaybell
09-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Artsyblack@Sep 10 2003, 08:31 PM

Yeah, the price of today's fashion is rediculious, "It's either handmade or second hand" for me. I know the cost of what those clothes really worth before they leave the manufactors companies. :nohuh:
ITA You get a better fit and unique style if you make it yourself.

choqlat
09-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey Ladies!! I sew as well and have a blast doing it! I used to do it all the time, now I try to do a few pieces every once and a while. I'm glad to see this posting - I'm definately going to get back into it...

kurlyswirl
09-12-2003, 06:04 PM
I've been sewing for about 12 years now. In fact, I just recently decided I want to make a career change to fashion design and have my own business. Maybe I'll sell some of my wares here! :rainfro: I started out of necessity--I'm petite, but full-figured, and it's hard to find stuff in the plus-size section that doesn't need altering, especially skirts. So I started making my own. I also like making home decor items. I dabble in quilting (I'm very much a beginner--haven't even finished my first one yet!) and I'm going to take some crochet and beading classes this fall.

It's nice to see this forum! I guess it's new? :huh: Or maybe I just never noticed it before! :P

ks

stillnappy
09-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Ladies,
I'd like to sew some skirts, but i've never sewn a day in my life. I had a reasonable knack for picking up things quickly, and good dexterity in both hands ;)

all i want to make starting out are some floor length a-line type skirts (mabe be called bohemian-type). that i can wear with tees. think that would be hard? i could use my mom's old sewing machine.

MuthaErth
09-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by stillnappy@Sep 13 2003, 09:03 AM
Ladies,
I'd like to sew some skirts, but i've never sewn a day in my life. I had a reasonable knack for picking up things quickly, and good dexterity in both hands ;)

all i want to make starting out are some floor length a-line type skirts (mabe be called bohemian-type). that i can wear with tees. think that would be hard? i could use my mom's old sewing machine.
it's cool if you've never sewed, i taught myself :) i've not had any "formal" instruction on how to sew or read patterns so i just use to piece them together until they looked like something and i was SEWING :D
i don't think skirt making would be hard at all, it's as hard as you make it ;)

choqlat
09-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Hey Stillnappy,
One of the first things that I made was a apron skirt. The kind that ties in the back and is a-line shape. It was incredibly easy and its great if your weight sometimes wavers. I get compliments every time I rock it. If you are interested on trying that first, I can find the pattern that I used so that I can give you the number and maker. I'm sure it was either butterwick or mccalls...

stillnappy
09-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by choqlat@Sep 16 2003, 01:08 PM
Hey Stillnappy,
One of the first things that I made was a apron skirt. The kind that ties in the back and is a-line shape. It was incredibly easy and its great if your weight sometimes wavers. I get compliments every time I rock it. If you are interested on trying that first, I can find the pattern that I used so that I can give you the number and maker. I'm sure it was either butterwick or mccalls...
please do! i'm looking for patterns online too!

thank you!