PDA

View Full Version : Crochet (sp?)



KinkyCoils
09-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I've been trying to teach myself to crochet for the life of me :lol: but I can't get it. Actually I can do the first chain, but I can't figure out how to connect it. I was attempting to make hats and scarves, but it's a lot harder to me than I thought. If there is anyone out there that knows how to do this, do you have any pictures of your work and maybe you can explain to me how the heck I can get this thing rolling?

Neosoul
09-10-2003, 09:06 PM
My mother mentioned to me a while back that I should learn and make my own headbands etc so I got a book from Amazon with amazing instructions. :lol: I'm yet to make something from the book, but shoot after seeing on of our WOW with crochet roses she made for her hair, I just might give it a whirl.

I'll check the book tonight and get back to you on the title etc in the event you want to get a book.

Like knitting, the only thing you can really do to crochet well is practice, practice, practice.


-Nicky-

Edited to add: Yolanda is the sister whose album displays the flower. Shoot I love the thing so much I'm giving you a link for inspiration to start crocheting :lol:

http://public.fotki.com/yolanda/julyaugust...3/sexyhair.html (http://public.fotki.com/yolanda/julyaugustseptember_03/sexyhair.html)

KinkyCoils
09-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Thanks Neosoul! I checked out Yolanda's album and I love :pumpheart: the crochet flower. That is sooo cute. And the crochet hat!

Btw, the flower sure did give me some inspiration :lol: *off to go practice*

Cia
09-11-2003, 07:21 AM
I try to crochet from time to time and have never made anything. I will be coming back to this thread for inspiration so you ladies get to work and take some pics. :D

aquababie19
09-11-2003, 07:23 AM
i have my " i taught myself to crochet" book. i haven't gotten past the first few stitiches. but i admit, i haven't been as diligent in learning as i would like.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4_3_5.gif

ini
09-11-2003, 07:24 AM
oooh, me me me! I make afghans and scarves mostly for gifts. i'm a crocheting demon and i knit also. i doubt i have any pictures...oh, i've made pot holders and a couple bags too...let me search for pix. i'm not to sure about how to get started...are you using a partern?

ETA: I can't find any pictures of my afghans (i've given them all away) but i found some potholders and dish cloths i made for a friend's housewarming.

These are crocheted:
http://www.roshini.net/images/Holder1.jpghttp://www.roshini.net/images/Holder2.jpg

These are knitted:
http://www.roshini.net/images/Wash1.jpghttp://www.roshini.net/images/Wash2.jpg

winnie
09-11-2003, 10:05 AM
I learned from a combo of personal instruction and books. I've only made afghans b/c I love them so much but I'm branching out into other things. I want to make one of those big slouchy bags but I'm currently working on an afghan for my sister. LBellatrix is a fantastic needle craftswoman and could probably help you out. Also look online b/c there are sites where you can watch free instructional video shorts.

nappi_poetri
09-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Ini those are CUUUUUUUTE :thumbsup:

I JUST in the last week brought crocheting and knitting materials. I TRIED so hard but couldn't get past the slip not :lol: :lol:

There's a class here that I'm planning to take but it only meets once a month (i missed this month) so, until then...I'll just keep reading my little "how to teach myself to knit/crochet" book and making a fool of myself. :unsure:

Keep trying ladies!

Delushious
09-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I started crocheting when I was 8, this nun at my boarding school taught me. Another great idea for crocheting is bathing suits. I know it sounds crazy, but remember when those crocheted suits came out like two yrs ago? Well you could make some like those. I don't like doing large pieces, but a word of inspiration: the flower is pretty easy, so if you get the rudimentary crochet knowledge you too can make one. :thumbsup:



ETA: ini those ARE cute!!!

macgirl
09-12-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 10 2003, 07:56 PM
I've been trying to teach myself to crochet for the life of me :lol: but I can't get it. Actually I can do the first chain, but I can't figure out how to connect it. I was attempting to make hats and scarves, but it's a lot harder to me than I thought. If there is anyone out there that knows how to do this, do you have any pictures of your work and maybe you can explain to me how the heck I can get this thing rolling?
Actually, I knit. I seem to find it easier.

ini
09-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by nappi_poetri@Sep 11 2003, 10:19 AM
Ini those are CUUUUUUUTE :thumbsup:

I JUST in the last week brought crocheting and knitting materials. I TRIED so hard but couldn't get past the slip not :lol: :lol:

There's a class here that I'm planning to take but it only meets once a month (i missed this month) so, until then...I'll just keep reading my little "how to teach myself to knit/crochet" book and making a fool of myself. :unsure:

Keep trying ladies!
A class definitely helps you get started (and to understand how the read the patterns)

ini
09-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by macgirl+Sep 12 2003, 12:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (macgirl @ Sep 12 2003, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KinkyCoils@Sep 10 2003, 07:56 PM
I&#39;ve been trying to teach myself to crochet for the life of me :lol: but I can&#39;t get it. Actually I can do the first chain, but I can&#39;t figure out how to connect it. I was attempting to make hats and scarves, but it&#39;s a lot harder to me than I thought. If there is anyone out there that knows how to do this, do you have any pictures of your work and maybe you can explain to me how the heck I can get this thing rolling?
Actually, I knit. I seem to find it easier. [/b][/quote]
I find crochet easier...the 2 knitting needles were too much for me :lol: ... but I eventually figured it out

KinkyCoils
09-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Okay, Ini and/or others, what do you mean by Afghan? Is that a certain style or yarn. Let a sista know, please.

mommamaybell
09-12-2003, 08:13 AM
I&#39;ve been crocheting for years my specialty are afghans(blankets). I want to try making other stuff and this board give me inspiration. I think I&#39;ll start with those beautiful flowers ala Yolanda!!

Artsyblack
09-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have a manuel knitting machine that attaches to a table?
I bought one from Home Shopping Network a few months ago

Haven&#39;t used it as of yet b/c I want to learn how to read and make patterns first . I did buy a Learn Crochet kit by Susan Bates.

You guys inspire me!!

Ini, those are nice. Love the color combo.

Dee Dee Russell
09-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Ahh yes, I know how to crochet blindfolded, which is a nifty party trick ;)

Learnt when I was 13 in the chilly Midwest. Can do basic stuff such as the single
and double stitch. Can make a hat in an hour-- blankets, scarfs...
my fave needle size is f, g, and h. Glad I have this skill.

caramello loc'z
09-12-2003, 05:49 PM
very nice ini !!! :thumbsup: I would love to be able to crochet. However, in my youth I learned to crochet..but since then, have lost my touch COMPLETELY. I thought for sure that was an ability I&#39;d never forget..But ha..I FORGOT
I wish I knew how to crochet...oh goodness...I could make all kinds of hats,purses,skirts, and whatever else! Maybe I will pick it up again..and teach myself? :(

kurlyswirl
09-12-2003, 06:14 PM
I am dying to learn how to crochet. I plan to take some classes this fall. That crocheted flower is lovely--would like to make some of those! I also want to make hats, shawls and bags. Plus, I want to start making bellydancing costumes and the coins and beads are usually attached to crocheted trim.

I&#39;m left-handed...Are any of you? If so, how did that affect your learning? I&#39;m a little nervous that I might have more difficulty learning than most. :( I did find a crochet book for lefties on Amazon, so I think I&#39;ll pick that up and see if it helps.

ks

KinkyCoils
09-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Ai&#39;ight ladies! I figured out how to connect the chains. Woooohooo! I do have another question, when making hat/scarves are you suppose to use a certain type of yarn? Or does it not matter?

TIA

KinkyCoils
09-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by kurlyswirl@Sep 12 2003, 12:14 PM
I am dying to learn how to crochet. I plan to take some classes this fall. That crocheted flower is lovely--would like to make some of those! I also want to make hats, shawls and bags. Plus, I want to start making bellydancing costumes and the coins and beads are usually attached to crocheted trim.

I&#39;m left-handed...Are any of you? If so, how did that affect your learning? I&#39;m a little nervous that I might have more difficulty learning than most. :( I did find a crochet book for lefties on Amazon, so I think I&#39;ll pick that up and see if it helps.

ks
I&#39;m definitely no expert, but a few weeks ago I didn&#39;t even know how to make a chain. I went to a JoAnne Fabrics store and the lady pretty much schooled me :lol: I bought a crochet beginners book and it&#39;s actually helped me more. I want to still find a crocheting class.

mommamaybell
09-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 12 2003, 06:11 PM
Ai&#39;ight ladies! I figured out how to connect the chains. Woooohooo! I do have another question, when making hat/scarves are you suppose to use a certain type of yarn? Or does it not matter?

TIA
I would stick to a natural fiber like cotton, it&#39;s easier on the hair and neckline than the acrylics that are readily available. And cotton yarn doesn&#39;t get all linty with pills like acrylic. You could also use some wools but line whatever you make with a silky fabric to protect the hair.

MuthaErth
09-13-2003, 06:17 PM
ini you got SKILLZ! i&#39;ve not been fortunate enough to take any classes, but i crochet :) i&#39;d like to share some of my stuff, but i don&#39;t know how to make images appear in my reply <_< i&#39;ve made afgans (sp?) and scarfs mostly because i don&#39;t know how to read the patterns, i&#39;ve also made kufes(sp?)

funkalicous11
09-13-2003, 06:33 PM
I taught myself how to crochet this past summer. I really haven&#39;t made anything all that wearable or usable yet, but hey, I&#39;m still learning!

LBellatrix
09-14-2003, 12:03 AM
If you want to learn how to crochet and you have a machine that can handle QuickTime movies, go to this site:

http://www.stitchguide.com

There are FREE movies that will show you how to do the basics. And they&#39;re not limited to crochet, either.

I have been crocheting since I was 7 BUT I haven&#39;t crocheted anything significant since I finished my afghan last year:

http://www.hairfoodforthought.com/OutsideP...otos/afghan.jpg (http://www.hairfoodforthought.com/OutsidePhotos/afghan.jpg)

I&#39;m so happy I can knit now that that&#39;s pretty much what I&#39;ve been sticking to. I am currently knitting this scarf from a kit I picked up at Stitches Midwest (http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/Events.asp) last month:

http://www.sweaterkits.com/3_silk_scarf.htm

My kit contains blue yarns (think Mediterranean Sea :) ) and originally it was going to be for me but I have a friend who turned 40 this year so I&#39;ll probably give it to her.

While trying to find a picture of the jacket I&#39;m also hoping to knit this fall, I found this:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/croch...s_companion.asp (http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/crocheters_companion.asp)

If this is as good as The Knitter&#39;s Companion (which I have), I highly recommend it!

ANYway...if anyone has any crochet or knit questions, let me know... :)

funkalicous11
09-14-2003, 01:01 AM
I have a question for those of you that know how to knit too...is it faster than crocheting??? I heard that it was. I really like the way that crochet-ed(?) things look, but it seems to take soooo long to make anything. (then again , it could just be me being impatient)

Artsyblack
09-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Here&#39;s another link that may be helpful

http://www.learntoknit.com

KinkyCoils
09-14-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by LBellatrix@Sep 13 2003, 06:03 PM
If you want to learn how to crochet and you have a machine that can handle QuickTime movies, go to this site:

http://www.stitchguide.com

There are FREE movies that will show you how to do the basics. And they&#39;re not limited to crochet, either.

I have been crocheting since I was 7 BUT I haven&#39;t crocheted anything significant since I finished my afghan last year:

http://www.hairfoodforthought.com/OutsideP...otos/afghan.jpg (http://www.hairfoodforthought.com/OutsidePhotos/afghan.jpg)

I&#39;m so happy I can knit now that that&#39;s pretty much what I&#39;ve been sticking to. I am currently knitting this scarf from a kit I picked up at Stitches Midwest (http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/Events.asp) last month:

http://www.sweaterkits.com/3_silk_scarf.htm

My kit contains blue yarns (think Mediterranean Sea :) ) and originally it was going to be for me but I have a friend who turned 40 this year so I&#39;ll probably give it to her.

While trying to find a picture of the jacket I&#39;m also hoping to knit this fall, I found this:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/croch...s_companion.asp (http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/crocheters_companion.asp)

If this is as good as The Knitter&#39;s Companion (which I have), I highly recommend it!

ANYway...if anyone has any crochet or knit questions, let me know... :)
Thanks LBellatrix! This is really helpful.

LBellatrix
09-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by funkalicous11@Sep 13 2003, 07:01 PM
I have a question for those of you that know how to knit too...is it faster than crocheting??? I heard that it was. I really like the way that crochet-ed(?) things look, but it seems to take soooo long to make anything. (then again , it could just be me being impatient)
Honestly, this is one of those questions that can&#39;t be answered with a simple "yes" or "no." It depends on a LOT of stuff. I am a faster crocheter mainly because I&#39;ve been doing it longer (over 30 years longer). As my knitting skill improves I expect to become faster.

The knit jacket that I mentioned in my previous post...it requires thick yarn and large needles (I&#39;m using size 15). So the fabric will work up relatively quickly, which means the piece will be finished faster than something that requires thinner yarn and/or smaller needles. Thick yarn and big needles -- whether it&#39;s knit or crochet -- often equals faster crafting time.

If I were to really truly think about it, on a STITCH level, most crochet stitches bigger than slip stitch require more steps to complete than knit stitches. BUT keep in mind that there are only two stitches in knitting: knit and purl. Some of the more complex knit stitch PATTERNS, particularly lace, include a lot of steps. And that&#39;s only assuming you&#39;re using one COLOR...when you start getting into the really fun stuff is when you&#39;re using multiple colors at ONCE.

jacura
09-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Ohhhh so glad to see this thread.

I have been trying to teach myself to knit for a few months. Only thing I have under my belt it a chain LOL

I use to crochet when I was younger but have forgotten how. I recall it being easier than knitting *but alot could be clouding my pov*...just wanted to say thanks for the links provided.

KinkyCoils
09-15-2003, 05:24 AM
Okay ladies I feel I should be updating you guys on my progress :lol: I&#39;ve finally figured out how to do the single crochet and the half double crochet :thumbsup: For me that&#39;s a good thing :lol: Thanks to the video LBellatrix posted and the book I bought at Wal-Mart. I&#39;ll be making things in no time :D Yaaaaaay!

ini
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 15 2003, 12:24 AM
Okay ladies I feel I should be updating you guys on my progress :lol: I&#39;ve finally figured out how to do the single crochet and the half double crochet :thumbsup: For me that&#39;s a good thing :lol: Thanks to the video LBellatrix posted and the book I bought at Wal-Mart. I&#39;ll be making things in no time :D Yaaaaaay!
:clap:

acjazz28
09-15-2003, 02:45 PM
What a cool thread! :afro:

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was little, and just this weekend I taught my daughter how to finger crochet (with 1-4 fingers)...I&#39;m currently crocheting drink coasters...since Ini&#39;s doing show and tell :D, I figure I could show off my coasters and my daughter&#39;s finger-crochet creation too. :)

http://acjazz28.sytes.net/finger-crochet.jpg
http://acjazz28.sytes.net/coaster-crochet.jpg

Also I find that crocheting is much faster for me than knitting is...I bought a book to learn how to knit...once I find it, I&#39;ll tell you the name of it, &#39;cause I can&#39;t remember it from the top of my head <_<

FemmGranGwav
09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
U folks have me ooing and aahing!! I sure wish I had that type of talent or at least someone to show me...

kurlyswirl
09-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 12 2003, 06:35 PM
I bought a crochet beginners book and it&#39;s actually helped me more.
Would you mind sharing the name of the book you found, Kinkycoils? I need all the help I can get! :lol: Thanks, ks

KinkyCoils
09-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kurlyswirl+Sep 15 2003, 10:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurlyswirl @ Sep 15 2003, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KinkyCoils@Sep 12 2003, 06:35 PM
I bought a crochet beginners book and it&#39;s actually helped me more.
Would you mind sharing the name of the book you found, Kinkycoils? I need all the help I can get! :lol: Thanks, ks [/b][/quote]
I have to different books...

10, 20, 30 Minutes to learn to Crochet- I got this one at JoAnne Fabrics store.

New Crochet Basics: 12 Designs for Beginners- this is the one I bought from Wal-Mart. I find this one is easier to read then the first one.

kurlyswirl
09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 15 2003, 06:23 PM
I have to different books...

10, 20, 30 Minutes to learn to Crochet- I got this one at JoAnne Fabrics store.

New Crochet Basics: 12 Designs for Beginners- this is the one I bought from Wal-Mart. I find this one is easier to read then the first one.
Thanks for the info! I think I&#39;m going to start with a different Leisure Arts leaflet for beginners, because it&#39;s recommended for lefties: http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlewo...m=2738&search=1 (http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=2738&search=1)

But the books you mentioned are now on my wish list! :D ks

carrolina
09-16-2003, 02:17 AM
what a great thread! i attempted to learn to crochet, and i got the chain goin&#39;, but gave up when i couldnt connect it. afterwhile i forgot about it. you ladies have all inspired me to start up again. :rainfro: no more quitting...

caramello loc'z
09-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Lbella...You are very talented..I love your finished products! And 30 years is most definately a long time...good for you!! :thumbsup:

Cherished
09-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by caramello loc&#39;z@Sep 12 2003, 03:49 PM
very nice ini !!! :thumbsup: I would love to be able to crochet. However, in my youth I learned to crochet..but since then, have lost my touch COMPLETELY. I thought for sure that was an ability I&#39;d never forget..But ha..I FORGOT
I wish I knew how to crochet...oh goodness...I could make all kinds of hats,purses,skirts, and whatever else! Maybe I will pick it up again..and teach myself? :(
I thought I was the only poor soul who forgot how. My mom taught me when I was 13 or 14, and I haven&#39;t done a thing since then. Same with the knitting---they had one my Sunday School teachers teaching us a class back in my early teens, and once again, I haven&#39;t done anything since. :doh:

I wonder if it is like riding a bicycle???? Hmmm, I may just have to pick up a hook and some yarn to find out....


@ini

Girl, those are too cute. Lawdhammercy chile, is there anything you don&#39;t do? :lol:

ini
09-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Cherished@Sep 16 2003, 03:07 AM
@ini

Girl, those are too cute. Lawdhammercy chile, is there anything you don&#39;t do? :lol:
i&#39;m a tad &#39;creatively obsessed&#39; :lol:

i was actually thinking someone would open the craft section and be like &#39;dang girl! :lol: :lol: &#39;

but since you bring that up......
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
o.k., so Neosoul hooked me up w/ the flower pattern and I made it! Woo hoo!
http://www.roshini.net/images/products/tools_crochetFlower.jpg


http://www.roshini.net/images/smilies/bolt.gif

acjazz28
09-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Oh! How pretty!!!

You&#39;re making me jealous, Ini!!! :lol:

ini
09-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by acjazz28@Sep 16 2003, 09:03 PM
Oh! How pretty!!!

You&#39;re making me jealous, Ini!!! :lol:
I&#39;m already in love with this thing! I&#39;m wearing it tomorrow on my puff w/ the flower in the back :D

KinkyCoils
09-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by ini+Sep 16 2003, 08:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ini @ Sep 16 2003, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-acjazz28@Sep 16 2003, 09:03 PM
Oh! How pretty!!!

You&#39;re making me jealous, Ini!!! :lol:
I&#39;m already in love with this thing! I&#39;m wearing it tomorrow on my puff w/ the flower in the back :D [/b][/quote]
You definitely gotta take a pic. That crochet flower is soooo cute. Can&#39;t wait to see a picture.


Btw to others wanting to learn, I went to Michael&#39;s Craft store yesterday and found out they have crochet learning classes. If you&#39;re interested you might want to check your local Michael&#39;s or Craft stores.

ini
09-17-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils+Sep 16 2003, 09:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KinkyCoils @ Sep 16 2003, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ini@Sep 16 2003, 08:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-acjazz28@Sep 16 2003, 09:03 PM
Oh! How pretty!!!

You&#39;re making me jealous, Ini!!! :lol:
I&#39;m already in love with this thing! I&#39;m wearing it tomorrow on my puff w/ the flower in the back :D
You definitely gotta take a pic. That crochet flower is soooo cute. Can&#39;t wait to see a picture.


Btw to others wanting to learn, I went to Michael&#39;s Craft store yesterday and found out they have crochet learning classes. If you&#39;re interested you might want to check your local Michael&#39;s or Craft stores. [/b][/quote]
I will take a pict!

I must (I mean MUST) stay out of Michaels...it&#39;s like a black hole for me :lol:

Cherished
09-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ini+Sep 17 2003, 12:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ini @ Sep 17 2003, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Sep 16 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by ini@Sep 16 2003, 08:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-acjazz28@Sep 16 2003, 09:03 PM
Oh! How pretty!!!

You&#39;re making me jealous, Ini!!! :lol:
I&#39;m already in love with this thing! I&#39;m wearing it tomorrow on my puff w/ the flower in the back :D
You definitely gotta take a pic. That crochet flower is soooo cute. Can&#39;t wait to see a picture.


Btw to others wanting to learn, I went to Michael&#39;s Craft store yesterday and found out they have crochet learning classes. If you&#39;re interested you might want to check your local Michael&#39;s or Craft stores.
I will take a pict!

I must (I mean MUST) stay out of Michaels...it&#39;s like a black hole for me :lol: [/b][/quote]
That is adorable. Please take a picture, I want to see how it looks on.


Seriously, ini, you have the talent, let the creativity flow! You make very pretty things.

@KinkyCoils

Thanks for the tip about Michael&#39;s. There&#39;s one not far from me (about 20 minutes away). I&#39;ll check them out.

italdumpling
09-17-2003, 02:45 PM
o.k., so Neosoul hooked me up w/ the flower pattern and I made it! Woo hoo!


Ini, can you post this pattern. If you don&#39;t want to post it can you PM it to me . Thanks .

kurlyswirl
09-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by italdumpling@Sep 17 2003, 06:45 AM

o.k., so Neosoul hooked me up w/ the flower pattern and I made it! Woo hoo!


Ini, can you post this pattern. If you don&#39;t want to post it can you PM it to me . Thanks .
I would love a copy of the flower pattern as well. Pretty please? :rainfro: Please PM me, if you don&#39;t want to post it. Thanks! :thumbsup: ks

ini
09-18-2003, 12:17 AM
I&#39;m checking with Neosoul to make sure it&#39;s alright for me to post the pattern (since I got it from her).

Either way CHECK ME OUT:
http://www.roshini.net/images/2003/9.17.jpg

:D we need a smiley with a bigger grin...oh and teeth :P

ini
09-18-2003, 01:31 AM
You asked for it, you got it:
Important Instructions - Double Crochet Cluster (abbreviated dc Cluster) (uses one ch-5 sp) 8 YO, insert hook in ch-5 sp indicated. YO and pull up a loop. YO and draw through 2 loops on hook; repeat from * 2 times more, YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook. THIS IS DONE IN ROUND 8!!!!


Begin here...

ch 4: join with slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1 ch 1, (sc in ring, ch 3) 8 times: join with slip st to first sc:
Note: Loop a short piece of yarn around any stitch to mark Rnd 1 as right side.

Rnd 2 *ch 1, (slip st, sc,2dc,sc,slip st) in next ch-3 sp; repeat from * around; join with slip st to first ch

Rnd 3 ch 3, working behind petals, skip first petal *slip st in next ch-1 sp, ch 3, skip next petal; repeat from 8 around; join with slip st to st at base of beginning ch-3

Rnd 4 * ch1, (slip st, sc, 4 dc, sc, slip st) in next ch-3 sp; repeat from * around; join with slip st to first ch.

Rnd 5 ch 4, working behind petals, skip first petal, * slip st in next ch-1 sp, ch 4, skip next petal; repeat from around; join with slip st to st at base of beginning ch-4

Rnd 6 * ch 1, (slip st, sc, 5 dc, sc, slip st) in next ch-4 sp; repeat from * around; join with slip st to first ch.

Rnd 7 ch 5, working behind petals, skip first petal, * slip st in next ch-1 sp, ch 5, skip next petal; repeat from * around; join with slip st to st at base of beginning ch-5, finish off

Rnd 8 With right side facing, join Green with slip st in any ch-5; ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 4, work (dc Cluster, ch 4, tr Cluster, ch 4, dc Cluster) in nex ch-5 sp, ch 4; repeat from * 2 times more; join with slip st to first sc, finish off: 16 ch-4 sps.

I did not do the leaves. When finished I sew the flower on a black ribbon. Neosoul uses a Ouchless Band by Goodie. Post pictures of your creations if you can!!!

mommamaybell
09-18-2003, 02:56 AM
:clap: :clap:
Big ups to Neosoul for the pattern.
Ini, your flower is georgeous. My flower looks like a weed compared to yours; my flowers will look better with the pattern. Thanks again!

ini
09-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by mommamaybell@Sep 17 2003, 09:56 PM
:clap: :clap:
Big ups to Neosoul for the pattern.
Ini, your flower is georgeous. My flower looks like a weed compared to yours; my flowers will look better with the pattern. Thanks again!
i tried some other flower pattern i found in my books, but none of them were multi layered and full like this one. i&#39;m gonna try and use a smaller hook and yarn and see what i come up with.

JaiShi
09-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Hello Ladies/Gentlemen,
I just added some photos of some dolls I crocheted. Believe or not I taught myself how to crochet. It all started when I was watching an Usher video and I like the hat he was rockin. Tried to make the hat and it was pretty decent. I then wanted to crochet some sweaters to donate to local hospitals. The sweaters where kind of okay. Wanted to switch up what I donate and one day thought, hey why not dolls and the rest is history. What&#39;s kind of ironic is that I get more request from adults than kids. I guess we&#39;re all kids inside. I know I am. Eventually I hope to take a crochet class in order to learn how to read crochet patterns and add to my skill set. If you want to check out the doll, please find my link below.

http://public.fotki.com/jaishi/

As always, I wish you peace and blessings.

J

:afro:

JaiShi
09-18-2003, 07:02 AM
Also, Neosoul and Ini, the flowers are beautiful!!!

Cherished
09-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by JaiShi@Sep 18 2003, 04:59 AM
Hello Ladies/Gentlemen,
I just added some photos of some dolls I crocheted. Believe or not I taught myself how to crochet. It all started when I was watching an Usher video and I like the hat he was rockin. Tried to make the hat and it was pretty decent. I then wanted to crochet some sweaters to donate to local hospitals. The sweaters where kind of okay. Wanted to switch up what I donate and one day thought, hey why not dolls and the rest is history. What&#39;s kind of ironic is that I get more request from adults than kids. I guess we&#39;re all kids inside. I know I am. Eventually I hope to take a crochet class in order to learn how to read crochet patterns and add to my skill set. If you want to check out the doll, please find my link below.

http://public.fotki.com/jaishi/

As always, I wish you peace and blessings.

J

:afro:
I checked out your dolls....they&#39;re adorable! They are so cute. You got skills, Girl!

:thumbsup:

jetblackkinks
09-18-2003, 07:44 AM
This is a great thread!!!!! Thanks so much for that pattern Ini; I&#39;m headed to Wal-Mart tomorrow!! Or better yet, I wonder if we have a Michaels around here...I&#39;m so serious when I say I&#39;m bout to make like, ten of these!!

One more question ini...what size needle did you use and how many things of yarn did it take? Thanks!!

jetblackkinks

italdumpling
09-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks Neosoul and Ini for the pattern. I can&#39;t wait to try it. :clap:

Neosoul
09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by italdumpling@Sep 18 2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks Neosoul and Ini for the pattern. I can&#39;t wait to try it. :clap:
Don&#39;t forget the give major props to Yolanda :thumbsup: - she&#39;s the WOWer who hooked me up with the instructions.

Great job Ini. I suppose now that I have some free time on my hands I should pull out my book and start learning how to do the darn thing. :lol:


-Nicky-