PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive Hair Pulling

Twistie74
06-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I admit that I am a hair puller. *waves hand*

I didn't think it was rare or odd because it would happen every once in a while. Now, I notice that it happens when I'm stressed or concentrating really hard about something. At first, I didn't think anything of it - until someone pointed it out to me.

The name for it is trichotillomania and here's a link (http://www.trich.org/home/default.asp) to a website that I found useful.

librarising
06-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Here's another link Trichotillomania (http://psychcentral.com/library/hair_pulling.htm).

I began suffering from this condition at the age of 12 (the typical age that this condition happens). I got it under control at 16, but I still have to watch myself to this day, because if I get the urge to pull and act on it, it&#39;s very hard to stop. This condition was the reason why I BC&#39;d at the age of 15. By the time I BC&#39;d, I&#39;d successfully pulled out the crown of my hair, with an emphasis on the left side of my head. My mother wanted to believe that it was a medical condition, not mental, so she took me to a doctor so that I could have a small biopsy done on my scalp. However, the doctor knew that I was pulling out my hair and suggested that I get counseling. I was led to believe that I was stressed out or that I had some other psychological issues because people couldn&#39;t believe that I would do this to myself without provocation. However, I never felt that I was stressed or had any of these supposed issues. The official cause of this condition is relatively unknown even in the general medical community (my mom is a nurse, and the doctor who did my biopsy was obviously clueless) and is not categorized as an obsessive compulsive disorder. However, I tend to disagree with this because I have exhibited other signs of OCD that I believe can be linked to this (no stress or other mental ailments though <_< ). I thought that having short hair would cure me, but I yanked out my hair as soon as it grew in, and had a giant patch in my TWA. I finally gained some control at 16 and stopped for a year. I relapsed at 17, but got that under control after a couple of months. I&#39;ll never be 100% (I pulled for a day or two a couple of weeks ago, and I will admit that I feel the urge to pull more when I am stressed, although stress isn&#39;t the sole cause of these urges), but I do have control and care enough about my hair follicles to force myself to stop. The stigma of this condition is incredibly great. When I finally get my hair album together, I plan to dedicate a section of it to my experiences with this condition (those of you who pull know that we like to pull the curly hairs best, that we&#39;re not happy unless we&#39;ve pulled out a follicle, that we have our special "spots" to pull, and that we have our own little rituals to go along with the act). I&#39;m glad this is finally being discussed on NP.

shuger
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing.

tran68
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah I still have a patch that&#39;s growing out on the left side of my head that I practically pulled bald! :huh: Which is why I try to keep it twisted or back in a puff to keep my hands out of it....it&#39;s funny cause you don&#39;t even realize you are doing it!

blufaerie
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I&#39;ve suffered for years, especially during stressful situations (and I&#39;ve had plenty). I still do it, but not as much. It has affected my locs, but not visibly. I can see the damage....

But kudos to all ofyou that are dealing with it. Good luck in your self healing!

Cutie McPretty
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by librarising@Jun 7 2005, 09:25 PM
(those of you who pull know that we like to pull the curly hairs best, that we&#39;re not happy unless we&#39;ve pulled out a follicle, that we have our special "spots" to pull, and that we have our own little rituals to go along with the act).

Seems like you used to hang out in my room. This is everything I would look for when I would &#39;tug&#39;. If I pulled out 10 hairs and they didnt have a follicle on the end I would tug until one came out. I had it terrible when I was a teenager but now I only do it every once in a while. It&#39;s almost always at times when i&#39;m stressed. I didnt know there was a name for this. Thanks for posting about it. I just thought it was me. -- Tryce

SexyMocha304
06-09-2005, 06:25 AM
I suffered from this as well.

When I was in 7th and 8th grade (about 7 years ago) I had extension braids. I pulled out one of them and then I just couldn&#39;t stop pulling. Even when I took the braids out, I still pulled. When the hair began to grow back I pulled that out too and if the hair was too short I&#39;d get a pair of pliers or tweezers and pull. It was like I had an obsession seeing the little white follicles on the tips of the hair. By the end of 7th grade, I had two huge shiny bald spots on both temples and had to wear headbands for most of the 8th grade.

When I went to high school, somehow I finally stopped doing it. Sometimes I still get the urge and may even pull out a strand or two but it&#39;s not nearly as bad.

My hair has grown back since and now I have locs. Although in a small area on both temples the hair grows veeeeerrryy slowly. The hair there is about an inch long if that. I was just able to braid it last night to make a baby loc, finally.

Wow...I seriously thought I was the only person who suffered from this. Good luck to anyone still dealing with it :hug:

blowwout
06-09-2005, 02:57 PM
wow wow wow I pull but not to the point where I need to see a frolical , and i love pulling on a curly. when a woman at my job told me to stop i thought she was crazy.she was afraid i&#39;d pull out a hair. i only pull when i&#39;m sleepy or deep in thought. i&#39;m a smoker (cigs) so i think i handle stress smoking which isn&#39;t any better I KNOW!!!!!! but wow i didn&#39;t know it could go this far

Pyrodjm
06-09-2005, 03:21 PM
My mother has has this condition for as long as I can remember. She does it more when she is stressed but also whne she is bored. Its is something she does unconsciuosly.

Debonaire
06-10-2005, 04:46 AM
I too began to suffer from trichotillomoania....but it was indirect. I used to bite my nails excessively and I did everything to stop. It got to a point where I found this nail polish that had a bitter substance mixed in and it would make me gag when I tried to bite my nails. Needless to say I was curbed from biting my nails but then I had an obession with pulling out my hair.

The stress just switched from one outlet to another :( and protective style don&#39;t help it brought me even more pleasure to sit there and strategically pull hairs out of a perfect cornrow or a perfectly braid...I guess that was my own ritual. I&#39;ve tried to slow down though just by being more conscious of what I&#39;m doing and it does help a great deal.

sunschild57
06-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Lifelong hair puller here. Glad to know that i am not alone!

Twistie74
06-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Since posting this, I&#39;ve been making a conscious effort to be aware of the urge to pull.

It&#39;s interesting that some of you mentioned the little white follicle at the end. Whenever I pulled, it wouldn&#39;t be satisfying if I didn&#39;t get the little white follicle at the end, also.

LadyEve
06-10-2005, 05:14 AM
I had this problem ever since I was about 10 years old. I won&#39;t bother to go into details but suffice it to say my childhood was very stressful. Through the years I try to stop, but each time I get worried about something, or stressed out I go back to pulling my hair. I do not pull it l out at the roots, but at the tops untill it is about 1 or 2 inches short. When my hair get like that, usually it is one patch, until it grows back I wear a wig.

MeImJusMe
06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks I really appreciate you sharing this. I just cannot seem to stop pulling my hair out. Thanks again :)

MeImJusMe
06-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks I really appreciate you sharing this. I just cannot seem to stop pulling my hair out. Thanks again :)

strawmelly
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Hello Ladies.
I have been natural since June of 2001, and have been pulling my hair out as far as I can remember. It&#39;s a horrible habit, and has done quite a number to my hair. I have two areas _left and right) of my head that are quite thin. I&#39;m not sure this is totally the cause, but it most definitely contributed to the thinning. As far as actually pulling hair out of the root to see the white follicle goes, I used to do that in my permie days. I&#39;ll go as far as to say it was somewhat satisfying to see that little white tip at the end :unsure: But now as a napptural, I don&#39;t pull from the root. I just twist, tug, and pull out the curl to admire my hair&#39;s elasticity. This is no better, believe me. But you know, I&#39;ve decided enough is really enough. We need to do something about it.

I&#39;m proposing that we start a "Hair Pulling Challenge." I&#39;m most definitely going to start doing it, and whoever would like to can join me. Whenever I feel the urge (which is usually when I&#39;m studying or frustrated), I&#39;m going to focus my energy onto the task at hand, because if I&#39;m pulling, my mind can&#39;t be 100% on what I&#39;m reading and/or doing. Also, I will also try to channel hair pulling energy into constructive activity that will keep my fingers busy doing other things, like my hobby of playing the piano. Or sewing some things that I&#39;ve been meaning to repair (i.e. shirts, pants, etc.). We need to lick this ladies. The challenge begins for me today, and begins for you on the day you read this and decide to do it for yourselves. Your spirit, not to mention your hair will reap many benefits in doing this. Let the challenge begin!
Blessings,
Melanie

sassychae
06-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by strawmelly@Jun 22 2005, 02:40 PM
Hello Ladies.
I have been natural since June of 2001, and have been pulling my hair out as far as I can remember. It&#39;s a horrible habit, and has done quite a number to my hair. I have two areas _left and right) of my head that are quite thin. I&#39;m not sure this is totally the cause, but it most definitely contributed to the thinning. As far as actually pulling hair out of the root to see the white follicle goes, I used to do that in my permie days. I&#39;ll go as far as to say it was somewhat satisfying to see that little white tip at the end :unsure: But now as a napptural, I don&#39;t pull from the root. I just twist, tug, and pull out the curl to admire my hair&#39;s elasticity. This is no better, believe me. But you know, I&#39;ve decided enough is really enough. We need to do something about it.

I&#39;m proposing that we start a "Hair Pulling Challenge." I&#39;m most definitely going to start doing it, and whoever would like to can join me. Whenever I feel the urge (which is usually when I&#39;m studying or frustrated), I&#39;m going to focus my energy onto the task at hand, because if I&#39;m pulling, my mind can&#39;t be 100% on what I&#39;m reading and/or doing. Also, I will also try to channel hair pulling energy into constructive activity that will keep my fingers busy doing other things, like my hobby of playing the piano. Or sewing some things that I&#39;ve been meaning to repair (i.e. shirts, pants, etc.). We need to lick this ladies. The challenge begins for me today, and begins for you on the day you read this and decide to do it for yourselves. Your spirit, not to mention your hair will reap many benefits in doing this. Let the challenge begin!
Blessings,
Melanie

sassychae
06-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Right before I came across your post, I was doing it too!! I usually do it when I&#39;m stressed. Let&#39;s get this challenge going.

Originally posted by strawmelly@Jun 22 2005, 02:40 PM
Hello Ladies.

Blessings,
Melanie

usimmons
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Not to sound ignorant but I thought I was the only AA person who suffered from this..I didn&#39;t notice it as a problem until I went to college and pulled out a bald spot in the middle of my head that has not fully grown back yet and that was years ago.. I find I pull when I get comfortable, tired and when I am constrating really hard on something..

clover
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I&#39;m also a puller. From my recollection I started this about 6 years ago. I do it when I&#39;m totally bored or my mind is racing. Last week I was stuck in traffic on the highway and my hand went straight to my favorite spot (the middle of my head) and I couldn&#39;t stop myself. Unfortunately this is the thinnest and weakest part of my head. I don&#39;t just pull at random, I feel around for knots. When I find them I just snap off the ends but most of the time the whole strand would be pulled out. I usually roll all the loose hairs into a tiny ball. Until I read this I thought I was a hair-pulling freak. Thanks for bringing this up Twistie.

tashaboo74
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
QUOTE: "My mother wanted to believe that it was a medical condition, not mental, so she took me to a doctor so that I could have a small biopsy done on my scalp."

A mental condition is a medical condition since there are underlying biological causes along with environmental factors. It could be something occuring in the brain such as a chemical imbalance or neurons firing off at the wrong time.

I developed the same problem in college. I always went straight to the crown of my head, either twirling hair around my finger or pulling out a strand to examine it. This usually occurred when I had new growth under my chemical fire cream, and I wanted to see what my natural hair pattern looked like. I also had terrible itching there, and no amount of scratching stopped it, so pulling it gave me some relief. Eventually my hair grew in shorter there and broke off. My mom used to have the same problem, and she had to get her hair cut shorter, so she got on my case about "playing in yo head".

I was diagnosed with panic disorder and depression in my twenties, which finally explained why I felt so rotten for many years. I see now that the hair obsession was part of the disorder. It cut down after I went natural, and it&#39;s even better since I started to loc since I can&#39;t get hold of individual strands.

Cocopuff
06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by usimmons@Jun 23 2005, 12:32 PM
Not to sound ignorant but I thought I was the only AA person who suffered from this..I didn&#39;t notice it as a problem until I went to college and pulled out a bald spot in the middle of my head that has not fully grown back yet and that was years ago.. I find I pull when I get comfortable, tired and when I am constrating really hard on something..

this is me. i didn&#39; think there was an actual medical condition for this. i started it in high school, when i was being bothered or stressed out. It kinda also started out as being bored. I used to plait the front of my hair and play with it. then i got a spot on the right side of my head that i couldn&#39;t stop playing with. At the time my friends noticed that i pulled on that area and was making fun of it but i didn&#39;t pay any attention to it. I just liked doing it. Now that spot is pretty thin from pulling on it, i&#39;ve even had the urge to get tweezers to pull them from root, that spot hurts when its pulled. Its very tender, but i seem to enjoy the pain of it thats why i pull more. I&#39;ve tried to help stop it, my mum is always catching me doing. I stop when she makes me aware of it. I used to suck my thumb, i think when i stopped sucking my thumb, i went on to pulling my hair :dunno:

I think i did it for comfort at first but now its so addictive. I want to stop because my hair is becoming really thin.

makeba
06-23-2005, 07:19 PM
i started doing this when i was probable 15yrs old. i had pulled the left side mostly and a small section on the right side. each side was slightly above the top of my ear. i dont know how it started entirely but i can remember being seriously stressed around that age up until 18yrs old. i havent done this in years but have noticed here lately at age 35 i am edging back into it. thank goodness i caught myself and figured out when i am feeling the urge to pull.

usimmons
06-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Cocopuff+Jun 23 2005, 11:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-usimmons@Jun 23 2005, 12:32 PM

this is me. i didn&#39; think there was an actual medical condition for this. i started it in high school, when i was being bothered or stressed out. It kinda also started out as being bored. I used to plait the front of my hair and play with it. then i got a spot on the right side of my head that i couldn&#39;t stop playing with. At the time my friends noticed that i pulled on that area and was making fun of it but i didn&#39;t pay any attention to it. I just liked doing it. Now that spot is pretty thin from pulling on it, i&#39;ve even had the urge to get tweezers to pull them from root, that spot hurts when its pulled. Its very tender, but i seem to enjoy the pain of it thats why i pull more. I&#39;ve tried to help stop it, my mum is always catching me doing. I stop when she makes me aware of it. I used to suck my thumb, i think when i stopped sucking my thumb, i went on to pulling my hair :dunno:

I think i did it for comfort at first but now its so addictive. I want to stop because my hair is becoming really thin.

[/b]

Once it&#39;s sore it&#39;s on I just keep on pulling..I like the pain once I get a hold of one nice thick strand and I feel that nerve pain shoot a cross my head I just have to pull it and I&#39;ll keep searching to get that feeling again and I won&#39;t stop til it&#39;s really sore or I am know I&#39;m doing it and I want to stop..

Cocopuff
06-23-2005, 11:22 PM
i know, i thought i was a bit crazy they way i tug on those hairs. some times i used to pull on it to make it sore. If someone plaited it would be even more sore. it kinda sounds freaky. I don&#39;t like pain at all but once i mess arround with that area its kinda comforting. I also do it when i&#39;m thinking about things or when i&#39;m really stressed out. Its mad!

Cocopuff
06-23-2005, 11:28 PM
dp

tdrmaquillage
06-24-2005, 04:58 AM
Hair puller, here. Haven&#39;t in quite a while, but it&#39;s hard sometimes when I&#39;m stressing out. I tended to not pull out entire hairs, but rather obsessively look for split ends and breakage and pull those out.

- Tania :afro:

jade998
06-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Wow...glad to know that I am not the only one. I started I woud say at about 15/16, it just started and I couldn&#39;t stop. Exam periods were bad cause I would have my hand in my hair. When I used to relax my hair, I would blame it on a bad perm.

I have my special spot on the top of my head, It got bad that I would now do it in public. there was a time where I worked, you would see my hair all over the floor. It is getting better, but I still pull, I graduated later to my eyelashes (now I sound like a weirdo), I would have spaces in my eyelash from pulling at it. Some of you might know. when you eye lash area starts to hurt and your mum pulss that one hair that makes the pain magically disapper, I did that once and never stopped. I have just finally grown them back and I am praying to God, to keep my hands off my eye.

I am a wholer lot better, basically when I get into my zone, of bored, stressed, in thought, my hand just finds its way into my hair, I resist the urge to pull, I don&#39;t always win, but My bald spot grown in, it is about half an inch.

I think I just have an addictive personality.

:smil3f9cf95099cff:
what star sign are you guys.....just wondering if there is a special trait or type of person .

tonyelle
06-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow, this is very interesting! I am not a puller, but I am intrigued by each of your post. I have a question. I read the article (about the man yanking his hair out). Is that what you do--yank? Or is it more like a constant slow pull until your stands come out? Do you pull a lot out at one time or just one by one (or varies). I am not playing with this topic, I think this is very interesting. I really would like to know. Thanks!

usimmons
06-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by jade998@Jun 24 2005, 10:49 AM
Wow...glad to know that I am not the only one. I started I woud say at about 15/16, it just started and I couldn&#39;t stop. Exam periods were bad cause I would have my hand in my hair. When I used to relax my hair, I would blame it on a bad perm.

I have my special spot on the top of my head, It got bad that I would now do it in public. there was a time where I worked, you would see my hair all over the floor. It is getting better, but I still pull, I graduated later to my eyelashes (now I sound like a weirdo), I would have spaces in my eyelash from pulling at it. Some of you might know. when you eye lash area starts to hurt and your mum pulss that one hair that makes the pain magically disapper, I did that once and never stopped. I have just finally grown them back and I am praying to God, to keep my hands off my eye.

I am a wholer lot better, basically when I get into my zone, of bored, stressed, in thought, my hand just finds its way into my hair, I resist the urge to pull, I don&#39;t always win, but My bald spot grown in, it is about half an inch.

I think I just have an addictive personality.

:smil3f9cf95099cff:
what star sign are you guys.....just wondering if there is a special trait or type of person .

OMG! that is me. I always pull my hair out at my desk and my eye lashes too. I have a mirror and some tweezers..I pulled a bald spot in my right eye and thats when I new I had a problem..I just finally got it to grow in...I do it when I&#39;m really tired and sleepy at work..when my hair was permed I pulled the short ends..but now that I am natural I pull the ends that are tangled or have nots in them..I don&#39;t like to pull a bunch at a time but just one if I can get just one... I&#39;m a saggetterius (sp)

findingmyroots403
06-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Wow...I am so glad someone posted this. I have a minor case of this problem and it started when I got my first chemical fire cream back in third grade. I used to run my fingers down each strand of straight hair until i feel a tear or snag in the middle of that hair and i would yank my hair at that point. For some reason, I didn&#39;t like the fact that I had snags in my hair strands and having straight hair made it easier to find those "imperfect" pieces of hair. I would sit and watch tv and run my fingers through out one particular spot at the middle of my head and pull pull pull until eventually I had a small patch of hair. Then when I realize I couldn&#39;t pull anymore, I would stop. But it was embarrassing and depressing to have such a small patch of hair when the rest of my hair was long and healthy looking. Even now as a natural, I still have a slight case of the problem and still pull at that same area. I dont know what it is about that area but it doesn&#39;t seem like I will stop until I can&#39;t pull no more from that area. It&#39;s like it comforts me sometimes when I pull at that certain area. I noticed that some people don&#39;t stop until they pull the bulb/follicle out along with the hair strand. That&#39;s not really a problem for me b/c pulling the bulb out always hurt my scalp so I dont really take it to the level. I just pull when I find that snag or weak spot on a strand of hair. But I have slowed down A WHOLE LOT. Not as much hair on the carpet floor anymore. Another thing that helps me is when ladies compliment me about my hair and how beautiful it looks. Why should I be pulling something out that is so precious? We can combat this ladies....I will keep praying to God for me and all of us suffering from this condition!

findingmyroots403
06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by tonyelle@Jun 24 2005, 01:27 PM
Wow, this is very interesting! I am not a puller, but I am intrigued by each of your post. I have a question. I read the article (about the man yanking his hair out). Is that what you do--yank? Or is it more like a constant slow pull until your stands come out? Do you pull a lot out at one time or just one by one (or varies). I am not playing with this topic, I think this is very interesting. I really would like to know. Thanks!

I don&#39;t really yank, I would just pull slow until my hair strand breaks. I would pull one at a time...anymore than that would just down right hurt. Thanks for your interest in this topic that&#39;s affecting us ladies on this forum.

csd52065
06-25-2005, 06:32 AM
That is really ironic, and somewhat scary, that I came across this post because right now I am at work twirling away and pulling. It has gotten so bad with me that when I am in class my classmate slaps my hand because I am getting on her nerves! I have been doing it since I was about 4. I started with my edges and it got so bad my mother thought my hair was coming out. It was not until I was older that I told her that I was pulling my hair which she obviously noticed while I would watch tv, eat, or even talk. I know stress is apart of my situation. I am so down for this challenge. My mother tells me to where a hat, but c&#39;mon, we know a sista feels restrained with that. But I am glad you posted this so now I don&#39;t feel so weird about it. Good luck!

Originally posted by sassychae+Jun 22 2005, 08:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-strawmelly@Jun 22 2005, 02:40 PM
Hello Ladies.
I have been natural since June of 2001, and have been pulling my hair out as far as I can remember. It&#39;s a horrible habit, and has done quite a number to my hair. I have two areas _left and right) of my head that are quite thin. I&#39;m not sure this is totally the cause, but it most definitely contributed to the thinning. As far as actually pulling hair out of the root to see the white follicle goes, I used to do that in my permie days. I&#39;ll go as far as to say it was somewhat satisfying to see that little white tip at the end :unsure: * But now as a napptural, I don&#39;t pull from the root. * I just twist, tug, and pull out the curl to admire my hair&#39;s elasticity. This is no better, believe me. But you know, I&#39;ve decided enough is really enough. We need to do something about it.

I&#39;m proposing that we start a "Hair Pulling Challenge." I&#39;m most definitely going to start doing it, and whoever would like to can join me. Whenever I feel the urge (which is usually when I&#39;m studying or frustrated), I&#39;m going to focus my energy onto the task at hand, because if I&#39;m pulling, my mind can&#39;t be 100% on what I&#39;m reading and/or doing. Also, I will also try to channel hair pulling energy into constructive activity that will keep my fingers busy doing other things, like my hobby of playing the piano. Or sewing some things that I&#39;ve been meaning to repair (i.e. shirts, pants, etc.). We need to lick this ladies. The challenge begins for me today, and begins for you on the day you read this and decide to do it for yourselves. * Your spirit, not to mention your hair will reap many benefits in doing this. Let the challenge begin!
Blessings,
* Melanie

[/b]

strawmelly
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Well Good Morning Ladies,
I just wanted to give you my update of the "Hair Pulling Challenge" and also offer some pointers I&#39;ve come up with. Well just to remind you, I don&#39;t actually pull out hairs, but I do gently nag at weak areas, pull, and stretch out hairs to get that "boing" elastic effect of natural hair. It&#39;s a problem, and it must be stopped. So since I posted in the last couple of days, I&#39;ve begun to touch the weak areas maybe 3 times total (in the past couple of days! that&#39;s progress,yay!). And when I noticed what I was doing, I instead started to massage my scalp. You know, I changed my negative activity into a good one. What I&#39;m also working on at the same time is to keep my hands out of my hair period, because I tend to tease and style my twists multiple times daily. I am also working on putting my hands in my hair ONLY when I am fixing in the morning, and prepping (oiling, moisturizing, etc.) at night. This one I&#39;m still having a hard time with. It&#39;s been helping to wear my satin scarf indoors when I&#39;m not going anywhere.

So, I must say that the mind is a powerful thing, and you can lick this ladies. For those of you who have started the challenge, please let me know how it&#39;s going for you. I also plan to post pictures up so you can see the difference my pulling (or lack there of) is doing for my hair growth and health. Blessings to you all!
Melanie

usimmons
06-25-2005, 03:08 PM
My mother told me once that I pull my hair in my stress spots..The&#39;re spots in my head that get sore or sensative when I am stressed. I believe she is right..Because those spots are always so sensative and feel good for me to pull and I pull for the bulb because I don&#39;t need broken ends. That&#39;s how I think of it..But I have also notice that my youngest son likes to pull his hair out too..I noticed short spots in his hair one day when I let his hair grow out. I though he cut it and asked whats wrong with your hair he said I pulled it..after that I noticed that when his hair is longer when it curls or nots up he pulls the nots out just like me...I twisted his hair a little after that and told him to keep his hand out of his head..Don&#39;t you know that little boy pulled the back and both sides of his hair clean out..I had to get all his hair cut off..Now that&#39;s bad..

Cutie McPretty
06-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by tonyelle@Jun 24 2005, 01:27 PM

I tug one hair at a time and I have to have the little &#39;plug&#39; at the end of the hair. If I dont see the follicle at the end of the hair i&#39;ll tug until I get one. Sometimes i&#39;ll continue tugging other hairs even after a strand with a follicle comes out. I cant explain it without sounding crazy but it&#39;s so relaxing. Especially when I&#39;m stressed out; the sensation is an instant stress reliever. -- Tryce

4mrcreamyuser
06-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow, your stories are all so interesting. I did graduate work on trichotillomania and never came across any data in the Af-Am population, in terms of who has this condition. There are many ideas, theories, beliefs, etc. about the origin, but there is no 100% data that says why it happens.

Good luck with your "no pulling" challenge. I commend you all on your awareness...many times, people who are pulling don&#39;t even realize they are doing it, so that awareness of when and where will be a good start in finding other ways to release that stress or do other things with your hands.

Luck to ya!!

soultica
06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Just checking in ladies,
Still at the challenge, and have touched my hair maybe once or twice in the past few days, not including my compulsive hair styling/teasing. Still working on that :blush:
But yes, hardly any harmful hair tugging going on AT ALL. Awareness of what you&#39;re doing is key. If I can, you can. Rock on.
Blessings,
Melanie

soultica
06-27-2005, 03:00 PM
oops! just realized I signed in under my sister&#39;s name soultica. that was still strawmelly ladies! :-)

cyinefj
06-27-2005, 09:42 PM
ladies, i&#39;m glad to see that i am not the only one go through this. i didn&#39;t even know it had a techincal name, i thought i was werid. one of the main reasons i cut my hair and went natual was due to hair loss (stress, over processing), stress spots that appeared on a head. at 23 i still suck my thumb (trying to stop) and at the same time i pull hair close to my ear. as kid i would also pull the hair on my eyebrows and bite my nails. everytime my mother would see me doing it, she would tell me to stop. when i was about 8 and my mother was burning the hair straight my hair, she knocked upside the head because i had pulled so much that i had a huge ball spot towards the middle of my head. so i had to wear braids until my bald spot grew even with the rest of my hair. it was not until recently that i began to talk with a consulor, that i discovered some of the problems. as of today, i gonna make an effort to stop.

sunschild57
06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I have the urge to pull whenever I visit this thread. Reading about it makes me want to pull more. My hands are shaking. Why do I feel this way? Think I need professional help. <_<

I&#39;m an Aries by the way.

Cocopuff
06-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sunschild57@Jun 27 2005, 10:07 PM
I have the urge to pull whenever I visit this thread. Reading about it makes me want to pull more. My hands are shaking. Why do I feel this way? Think I need professional help. <_<

what you too? thats why i hardly come in here any more i&#39;m trying not to pull on the right side of my hair. so far so good. I&#39;ve been spraying sulphur 8 on my scalp and it seems to be eliviating the soreness in that area so i don&#39;t really feel like pulling on it because i don&#39;t have the desired effect :rolleyes: so at least its helping. Its also great as a detangler too :D

strawmelly
06-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Hello Ladies,
I was thinking, maybe going to talk to someone might not be a bad idea if you&#39;ve gotten to the point where your hands are shaking and the urge to pull your hair increases just by reading this thread. Getting help honestly could not hurt, and besides, who says you need to be completely far gone to seek help. Let me know what you think. I just thought it might be a good idea to maybe just talk to someoe with more answers after reading those threads. God bless you.
Melanie

Cutie McPretty
06-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by sunschild57@Jun 27 2005, 05:07 PM

I&#39;m an Aries as well :) . Gotta luv us aries babies.

Twistie74
06-30-2005, 01:22 AM
I&#39;m an Aries too!!!

Fire signs, maybe? I recall reading someone&#39;s reply who was a Sagittarius?

I&#39;m so glad more ladies have posted about their experiences on this.

I don&#39;t know. It&#39;s strange because I used to be a nailbiter up until I started high school. Since I knew that I had to concentrate more on appearance, I just went cold turkey and stopped biting them. That was over ten years ago.

Going cold turkey with this might be harder, but I have faith that I can do it. My only motivation is that it won&#39;t be cute to style my locs into two ponytails only to have a big ol&#39; part of scalp showing because I pulled all of my hair from the middle of my head.

findingmyroots403
06-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey ladies,

I am a gemini...birthday was on June 16th. I think what helps me out the most is wearing my hair in twists instead of loose and free where it is easier to pull. Maybe some of you can consider wearing twists more.

afrobeauty77
07-17-2005, 07:59 PM
All these years I thought it was just a crazy nervous habit that only I had (I am also a terrible nail bitter), because my hands were always in my head, to the point where my scalp was sore. I had to stop because my little girl started pulling her hair watching me in my hair and has pulled quite a bit from the right side of her head. For a while I thought I might have been putting in her pony tails too tight until I caught her in bed looking at a book pulling on her hair.

Pokahontas
07-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I am a hair puller also. I just love the feel of it. I usually pull out strands and play with the strand that I pulled out or break them off. I think I break more hair than I pull out. My co-workers pick on me about it and tell me to stop or they will pull my arm away from my hair. My mom gets on me about it too but she does it also, just not as bad. I hate this condition. I had to draw the line when I noticed a small bald patch in the front of my head and a spot with no hair. I was so mad! No I am trying really hard to stop and I&#39;m doing better but still doing it occasionally. It&#39;s so hard!

I do it the most when I&#39;m at home watchin tv or in my car. There&#39;s balls of hair all over my floor and the floor of my car. I get disgusted with myself when I see them. When I&#39;m at home I always wear my hair back in a bun or braid and put a scarf on my head....that&#39;s the only way I can stop. If I had my hair out I know I would pull it.

Thanks for posting this thread and thanks for the link. I am interested in hearing how everyone is trying to conquer this condition.

Pokahontas
07-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh...by the way, I am a Virgo :) .

blumoonbabe
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
why did it take me so long to come across this thread?

Oh yeah, I&#39;m hardly ever on the boards at all, that&#39;s why! ;)

I&#39;m a former puller, I started when I was about 7... it tok me a few years to stop, and I moved onto contantly cutting, which I&#39;ve had under control for about... 2 months and some change now. I have a small patch of hair that I suspect will never grow back from the pulling, though. I didn&#39;t get any "satisfaction" from my pulling unless the bulb and/or actual follicle emerged with the hair.

I&#39;m gonna go ahead and read the other stories here, now.

By the way, I&#39;m a Cancer.

curlyc326
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
i am an aries baby too. :wub: this topic is very interesting. i too have a bald spot on the left side of head above my ear :( . im going to see a dermatolgist about it.

Terrific
08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
I have been pulling since I was in 5th grade and I leave off for my first year of college this week. I shaved my head a week ago because I had a huge area gone on the crown of my head and my edges were totally bald. I first cut off all my hair due to extensive damage at the end of 6th grade and again last summer. I was soooooooo embarrassed. Sometimes I would go months without pulling..but it seems like the smallest things would set me of and I would go on a pulling rampage. This time I made the decision myself (not my mother) to cut off my hair. I like it like this and I hope that it will deter me from pulling as much. I would like to grow it out natural but I hope that if I do pull..which I most likely will...i wont have noticeable damage. I get frustrated because it affects my life in so many ways. I wish it would stop. I have been to see doctors..they prescribed me anti-depressants. They would help with stress and anxiety. I still pull a lot...it all depends on what is going on with my life. It is good to know there are other black folks that suffer from this.

It is hard being a teenager when they put so much emphasis on having hair thats long and straight.....that is part of the reason why i cut it off and decided to go natural. The quote on the home page is so true...and I need to be happy with myself and then God will bring me blessings.

Terrific
08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
im a libra :D

Wise1
08-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I&#39;m a scorpio, never been a nail biter.
I&#39;ve been avoiding this post for a while. I am a chronic hair puller I have locs and I know this is why some special locs have been manipulated to death.

I&#39;m not happy until I see the follicle either.
I do it when I&#39;m bored.
I do it when I&#39;m stressed.

I&#39;ve recently started saying I&#39;m going to stop! when I find my hand in my hair I am going to stop!!
I haven&#39;t been able to do it yet.

How can one stop this!

Librarisiing your post rings true for me.

OMG
I didn&#39;t want to read this whole thread! I used to contantly cut my hair when it was p.ermed. constant. I even cut my locs I just cut 3 inches off I felt as if I wasn&#39;t going to be happy until I did. Now I keep running my hands through my locs thinking this one needs to be clipped a bit more and this one and this one. Now I feel like I have a problem. Thats why I avoided this thread. I guess I need to look this mess in the face and figure it out.

cocoarose
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I&#39;m a puller as well. This thread let&#39;s me know I&#39;m not alone. I pull the hair at my nape (not excessively).
This may sounds gross but I also pull my public hair in my sleep.
Wow that does sound gross...lol.
Well, it&#39;s true and I&#39;ve been doing this since I&#39;ve had it.
I just pull and pull and before I know it I have a bald eagle. :dunno:

JustKei
08-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I am a puller too. While reading this thread I couldnt keep my hands out of my hair :(. I was a nail biter for 25 years. I really dont know what got me tostop. Hopefully I can get over pulling my hair out. In the past I use to pluck strands out, now I just pull for loose strands.... My reasoning is that I am checking for shedded hair....

ini
08-17-2005, 05:31 AM
One of my co-workers does this and he&#39;s loosing his hair in the front. He&#39;s taske me with helping him :dunno:

BeautifulButterfly
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Since I&#39;ve had my baby and rel@xed my hair, I have been pulling it out around the front edge. It has become such a bad habit that I have asked my husband to yell at me anytime he sees me doing it.

I don&#39;t know how to stop. I have said to myself many times "this is the last time", and then I start pulling again. My hair is obviously thinner where I am pulling. It&#39;s getting pretty bad.

Thanks for starting this topic. It really hits home for me.

-Felecia

nappyesquire
08-18-2005, 05:21 AM
another trickster checking in. :wub: i have been hair pulling since 7th grade. like the OP, i didn&#39;t even realize it until one of my classmates pointed it out to me. (we were both on the same bus one day. she was sitting a few rows behind me. upon exiting she said "i thought that was you nappyesquire." when i asked her how, she replied "i saw you pulling your hair... you&#39;re always pulling your hair out." :icon_eek13: :icon_headshake: )

i definitely attribute the stress of starting junior high as the trigger for me. big fish in elementary school to a "nobody"/small fish in starting seventh grade.

while my pulling is only moderate at most times, it does increase during stressful times... college was bad but surprisingly law school was not as bad as i would have predicted. like Anais said, i learned alternative means of dealing with stress. the pulling continued but not as bad as it could have been.

i sometimes pull a spot (left side of my crown... like most of you ladies mentioned) until it becomes really TENDER. :( then i have to try to force myself to stop. i also search for the white pulp at the end of the root. if i don&#39;t yank out the root (ie it snaps beforehand), then i feel like i&#39;ve wasted a pull so i have to do a "do over" on a new strand.

sometimes i get grossed out and pissed off at myself for the amount of hair i can pull in an intensive "session." my family just can&#39;t believe how much hair i leave on the floor/carpet.

most of my hairstylists (during my permed years) commented on how sparse certain areas of my head grew hair. i only confided my hair pulling to one of them. the heifer made an ugly face at me!!! :Angry_boese008: needless to say, i didn&#39;t share that again.

i have documented photos in my hair journal ont he variation in the thickness and length of my twists and whatnot due to the pulling. i swear i can&#39;t support a decent wash-n-go because of the damaged areas of my head. the patchiness makes it looks pathetic!!!

... thank you OP for posting this topic. i have wanted to do so for years now in NP.com but chickened out... i too didn&#39;t think a lot of AA&#39;s suffered from it. just writing this is theraputic.

i think i&#39;ve done a decent job of getting it somewhat under control. i have definitely seen pictures of worse sufferers.

peace :)

ps i&#39;m an aquarius.

pps i&#39;m not ready to join a challenge at this time but kudos to the ladies that are doing it.

ppps oddly enough, going natural has helped me in the condition. for some reason, i feel like i&#39;m disrespecting my naps for something when i pull at them for too long. weird? :huh: :dunno:

Jamilla
08-22-2005, 04:21 AM
I have been skimming over many of the posts in this thread for the past few days. I had to stop sometimes cuz I think it hit too close to home for me. I haven&#39;t been around on NP for a while (grad school is a beast) and I came back specifically to see if there were any posts about hair pulling. And lo and behold...a whole thread.

I pull on my hair all the time. There really is no special time. I can be tired, sad, happy, bored, excited...whatever my hand is in my hair. Some times are worse than others, but it is generally a constant thing. It didn&#39;t really start for me until college. Well, when I was in high school there were these two white girls that would pop their split ends in class. I always thought split ends were invisible to the naked eye. Senior year a hair dresser told me I had a lot of split ends once, so I looked and realized I could see them. I remember freshman year in college sitting at my desk and snipping the split ends with scissors. By the time I had graduated I moved on to snapping them with my finger nails if I didn&#39;t have scissors. My problems really got worse when I began transitioning in &#39;02. I would feel (not even looking at them anymore…just feeling) for strands that I thought were really damaged and then snap them. I hoped that once I went natural and my hair was in better condition the problem would go away. I was OK for a while after I chopped, but once it started growing it was back on. Now I am beginning to see the effects of my pulling. It amazes me that my hair still grows, but the density especially in the crown area is noticeably thinner.

Some of my family notices and will hit me or call me out on it. But I think because my hair is still pretty big, nobody really says anything. I even told my therapist about it but I don&#39;t think she thought it was a considerable problem because I have no bald spots and it is not evident from afar. Now that I am seeing damage I will bring it up again. Trichotillomania is classified as an impulse control disorder and I try to find other things to do with my hands. But there is nothing like feeling through my fro (or twists) for a knot or a hair that feels split or doesn&#39;t feel smooth and popping that bad boy. I do also occasionally pull a whole strand from the follicle. It is so insane to me that I do this, but I just can&#39;t stop.

Twistie74
08-22-2005, 04:23 AM
yw :)

blestnaps
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by afrobeauty77@Jul 17 2005, 02:59 PM
All these years I thought it was just a crazy nervous habit that only I had (I am also a terrible nail bitter), because my hands were always in my head, to the point where my scalp was sore. I had to stop because my little girl started pulling her hair watching me in my hair and has pulled quite a bit from the right side of her head. For a while I thought I might have been putting in her pony tails too tight until I caught her in bed looking at a book pulling on her hair.

I used to pull mine..My daughter started it when she was young....She still pulls hers. :( I stopped mine years ago....I have always felt guilty because she still does it....She can stop for long periods of time..She wears her hair in braids......
I am a Libra, she is a Cancer.

sunschild57
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I am wearing my hair short so I can&#39;t get a good grip on any strands. It&#39;s better than waering mittens during summer :blush: .

sunschild57
08-23-2005, 05:52 PM
dp

pookeylou
08-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought I had replied in this thread.

Trychi Pookey checking in.

My eyelashes are the worse area for me.

I have hand in fro disease like you wouldnt believe. If I dont find a knot a day, I get nervous.

I pull when I am sleepy, stressed, bored. So the key for me is to stay busy. Thus, I type....ALOT!

Twistie74
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
How&#39;s everyone doing with this? I personally have gotten better. While I haven&#39;t completely STOPPED, I have done WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less than I did when I was at a job I hated :(

smpb200
03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
I have been a hair puller since i was very young.I think it started because of my parents volatile relationship.It wasn&#39;t until 4 years ago that realise that it was an actual disease :blush: .

Since then I have recognised my triggers and I&#39;m trying to deal with it.

I wanted to loc my hair for over five years but I had concerns about my very thin temples (my two favourite spots).

About 8 months ago I made the decision to loc my hair and that forced me to stop pulling my hair :) .Since then I have seen improvements in those areas.

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Knsoroma
03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow this is crazy! All this time, I have never been in this section of the forum because I saw alopecia and figured none of the topics would be for me. But the minute I enter, Nappturality clues me in on conditions that I have and that I didn&#39;t even realize were conditions.

I constantly have my hands in my hair. What I do is cut or pull (when I don&#39;t have scissors) out the knots and split ends. I am CONSTANTLY looking at my hair for ends whenever my hands aren&#39;t occupied even if it is for a second. I mainly wear twists and I always take them out and redo them looking for splits or knots. It takes me so long to do my work because as soon as I stop to think my hands go to my hair and I get side-tracked. I always have little balls of hair around at work and at home. I am sure I look crazy doing it.

I knew this was not normal but I just brushed it off as "Hand-in-Fro Disease" or to my semi-perfectionist nature. When people hear how long I have been natural the next question is do I cut it a lot to keep it short. I always say no I just have a lot of shrinkage but now that I think of it I just can&#39;t keep my length because I break it off.

I know the Hair Pulling Challenge was started a while ago but I am join on in and try to stop doing this. I don&#39;t know what will work to help me stop so I guess it will be trial and error. I think this is a complete mental challenge because I was steady pulling as I was typing. Anyway wish me luck

BTW I am a Virgo

Lafleur
04-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Wow this is crazy! All this time, I have never been in this section of the forum because I saw alopecia and figured none of the topics would be for me. But the minute I enter, Nappturality clues me in on conditions that I have and that I didn&#39;t even realize were conditions.

I constantly have my hands in my hair. What I do is cut or pull (when I don&#39;t have scissors) out the knots and split ends. I am CONSTANTLY looking at my hair for ends whenever my hands aren&#39;t occupied even if it is for a second. I mainly wear twists and I always take them out and redo them looking for splits or knots. It takes me so long to do my work because as soon as I stop to think my hands go to my hair and I get side-tracked. I always have little balls of hair around at work and at home. I am sure I look crazy doing it.

I knew this was not normal but I just brushed it off as "Hand-in-Fro Disease" or to my semi-perfectionist nature. When people hear how long I have been natural the next question is do I cut it a lot to keep it short. I always say no I just have a lot of shrinkage but now that I think of it I just can&#39;t keep my length because I break it off.

I know the Hair Pulling Challenge was started a while ago but I am join on in and try to stop doing this. I don&#39;t know what will work to help me stop so I guess it will be trial and error. I think this is a complete mental challenge because I was steady pulling as I was typing. Anyway wish me luck

BTW I am a Virgo
[/b]

OK, I posted on the main board -- jokingly -- that I just put braids in to mitigate my HIF obsession. But I have broke-off patches all over my head (esp. the left crown area), have grossed myself out from the hair balls all over the floor next to my desk, and tell myself that I&#39;m detangling shed hairs out of my extra-coily hair. Holy crap.

I don&#39;t believe astrological signs have anything to do with hair pulling tendencies (but then again, I don&#39;t believe in it at all).

Shaazma
05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I am a hair puller. I haven’t done it recently but the only way I can explain it is like having an urge. I have a special spot in the middle of my head. For me it is almost like relieving pressure, I even like the feeling. I do it when I am stressed or deep in thought, and I’ll continue for hours.

LovlyEssence
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Boy oh boy. I really thought I was the only one. Truly. I was like.....who else pulls there hair out themselves from habit. Then I always wonder...why is my hair so thin. And I get really sad about it. But I cant stop. Its compulsive. I cannot leave knots in my hair. I pull it out to the point htat some areas will burn when I do it. I dont know what to do. Man....I will be getting my hair locked on wednesday and I think that should help. I dont know. I have to read ALL of this thread to see if there is any tips. thanks so much for making this post.

LovlyEssence
06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Man. I think I just tried to be in denial until I realized how many little balls of hair is on my floor as I am typing this. But anyways. i forgot to say that im an aquarius. Thats an air sign, so I dont know what that says. I wonder if my hair will ever be thick again......... :(

heavyhair
06-28-2006, 12:21 PM
It is so good to find people with hair like me that have this condition.
Ive had it in varying degrees of badness for most of my life. age 8 until now, age 31.

For me, its not something I can just stop. Period. If I could, I would have as it has sort of destroyed alot of my life.

I have had SUCESS in dealing with it from a dietary and topical angle though. Meaning watching what I eat, to the letter, and also washing my scalp with recommended products. Although stress and emotions and even watching tv and staying up late have affected it, I dont believe its a stress, emotional or mental problem.

Why? because It went away when I followed "Scalp care, by Mike Grant" http://www.geocities.com/ttmlarchive/research-scalpcare.html in combination with JK diet http://www.geocities.com/ttmlarchive/resea...ndskincare.html (http://www.geocities.com/ttmlarchive/research-foodandskincare.html)

the regimine didnt resolve any childhood issues, or make me more well adjusted.
I believe it helped with the real problem, a kind of yeast.
http://www.geocities.com/ttmlarchive/research-antiyeast.html

My problem is this, The diet is currently helping me- when I follow it :rolleyes: but the scalp care regimine is very damaging to my hair. Maybe we can figure out how to get the right products that do the job but dont do a job on our hair.

added link
http://www.trichotillomaniahelp.com/JK/jk2.html

Check it out, let me know what you think.

Knsoroma
06-28-2006, 01:05 PM
My problem is this, The diet is currently helping me- when I follow it :rolleyes: but the scalp care regimine is very damaging to my hair. Maybe we can figure out how to get the right products that do the job but dont do a job on our hair.

Check it out, let me know what you think.
[/b]

He is talking about stripping all the oil from your hair but black people need some oils (natural or added) in their hair.

I am not sure what kind of soap that Curtica is but it sounds like just a clarifying agent. So, maybe if the soap is causing a problem then maybe a more moisturizing clarifier can be used, if there is such a thing.

The SeaBreeze sounds really harsh but a good replacement for that may be ACV rinse.

I&#39;ll keep thinking about it.

Also, that diet looks rough. Its all the things I eat! :unsure:

sunschild57
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
OK, I posted on the main board -- jokingly -- that I just put braids in to mitigate my HIF obsession. But I have broke-off patches all over my head (esp. the left crown area), have grossed myself out from the hair balls all over the floor next to my desk, and tell myself that I&#39;m detangling shed hairs out of my extra-coily hair. Holy crap.

I don&#39;t believe astrological signs have anything to do with hair pulling tendencies (but then again, I don&#39;t believe in it at all).
[/b]
My left crown area looks pitiful (i&#39;ve also started pulling the right side). I am trying to grow my hair out but I think i&#39;m going to have to keep my hair shaved or short enough so I can not pull it out :(

bluefae
06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
*stands up* hello my name is dorrie and i pull out my hair *sigh* admitting it is so therapuetic :lol:
hrmm.. you know i too do this. i didnt do it as much when i was relaxed. but as i began tarnsitioning i started pulling out peices so i could "examine" the strand and texture. or sometimes *cough* more like everday *cough* if i want to check length i&#39;ll pull different hhairs from different areas and compare. now that i&#39;m fully natural i pulling on a daily basis. like pookey i also feel like i wasted a pull if the hair snaps. and i get really irritated and go in for another. i cant stand the snapping i have to do a series of sometimes painful tugs until the hair comes out completely. i just love to examine the texture. Braids , conrows , flattwists , twists . comb coils do not deter me i even feel a sense of satisfaction from deftly manueving a hair out of its neat coif. i also snip alot i search for knots and snip away. the front of my hair is the shortest only because i can see it clearly enough to cut. i just do it at home though never in public . i dont have a particular place i like to pull i just jank randomly. i have no idea if its stress or what becuase i do it when i&#39;m angry said contented .. whenever :huh:

TwstdSis
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I too am a chronic hair puller. I think I started around the 5th grade. I wasn&#39;t aware of it until I noticed short broken hairs on the neck and shoulders of my shirts.

I still have this condition BAD. I can&#39;t wear twists b/c I have long twists all over except in one section where the twists are significanty shorter. I looks crazy. I keep my hair in braid extensions to so I can&#39;t play with that section. When my braids get old, somehow I manage to get a section through the braid and pull at it, or pull at the loose hairs around the nape of the neck. When I take the braids out, I am constantly looking for split ends and knots.

I thank the Lord that I have a husband that encourages me not to pick at my hair. I was ashamed to tell him when we were dating about the condition. I would always keep the front cornrowed and then wear a half-wig in the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this. I really want to stop.

Sammi

reese
08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I had this problem too. I pulled from the sides of my hair .. and it left me somewhat balded. Now .. it&#39;s slowly but surely growing back .. and I hope that it thickens up.

sbrown
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
OMG! I started doing this about six months after I went natural and did the BC. I pull single strands from my crown and I look for a follicle. It&#39;s thinner than the other areas on my head, but my hair is dense enough that I can hide it. But I started doing it because it seemed like that area always itched more than the rest of my head. I would check with docs but they&#39;d say it looked like normal skin? And sometimes I feel like I feel pressure on that section and that it will only be relieved if I pull the hair out? Unfortunately, it only gets thinner if I keep doing it and sometimes seemingly more painful. But when I don&#39;t do it, I feel like there is pressure build up. I don&#39;t know if that is psychological or not. The docs swear they don&#39;t see anything wrong. Is this what you all are talking about? Could I have had this and not have known it this long?

sbrown
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I just read Shaazma&#39;s post and she put it just like how I feel. It&#39;s right at the center and it feels like it&#39;s pressured and if I don&#39;t pull it, I won&#39;t get the relief. It lies though. It&#39;s only for a second and then I have to pull another...And I really thought something was just wrong with me. Well, not that this is exactly the healthiest way to be, but I&#39;m glad to know I&#39;m not alone. Goodness, I just thought I was weird. Nobody saw anything and they just thought I was making it up, I guess. Then I also posted in another part of the board that I hate washing my hair because it takes so long. But the other reason is, and I didn&#39;t mention this because I didn&#39;t think anyone would get it, even though I get a better lasting relief for a couple days after a shampoo, while it&#39;s drying, that special spot just feels so irritated. It doesn&#39;t like being wet for too long. It only feels tolerable after an ACV rinse with sage because it burns the mess out of it. And the burn takes my mind off the pressure throb for a minute. I do notice that if I use the ACV/sage rince consistently, I notice that pressure much less than if I don&#39;t. Maybe that should have told me something a long time ago....

Okay, so I am a hair puller. Half the battle is knowing. Now I guess I have to work on stopping...I read one of the other posts with the attachment on Sea Breeze. It&#39;s funny because I naturally tried Sea Breeze thinking that that would help my scalp pressure problem. But it made my hair so dry in that section, I quit using it-and I never used it regularly anyway. I think I didn&#39;t have this problem when I was relaxing because the chemical fire cream would burn the excess skin off the scalp every couple months, so it never had a chance to form a "hot spot." I read a book by Diane De Costa (spelling?) on textured hair. She says Shea Butter is a scalp healer. I&#39;m going to start there and try to find a way to make an acv spritz for my scalp. Something where it won&#39;t smell.

Thanks for creating this post. What an eye opener! :wub:

Ms-gg
09-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I pull my hair out now because Im transing and want to see how my hair looks in diffrent areas... like Ill pull one from the back and side...dip it is aloe and see what it looks like

I have been pulling my hair out since I was a young child....it was so nice and easing to see that white bulb on the end then pull that off too....I guess thats why I like soybeans so much and play with them because they look like hair with the bulbs on the end

I like to justify it now and say "hmmm it was harder this time to pull it out..hair must be healthier" :rolleyes:

keishac1
10-05-2006, 12:02 AM
I can totally relate however my problem was started when my hair was relaxed and as the new growth grew I would pull not focusing on the follicle bot the texture and enjoying the way it felt between my fingers. now that i&#39;m natural it&#39;s a hard to control since my hair is now short and has more definition of curls I constantly slide my fingers through my hair until my hair breaks and I do it repeatedly. I&#39;ve noticed this habit to occur during studying and while I&#39;m on the computer, which has left bot my left and right back areas of my scalp nearly bald!

Hello Ladies.

Blessings,
Melanie
[/b]

Twistie74
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I noticed a couple of other things on the Trich website that applied to me. For example, a link between hair pulling, skin picking and nail biting. I made a conscious decision to STOP nail biting when I left junior high school (because in my mind, real teenagers had long fingernails :) ). I haven&#39;t bitten my nails in almost fourteen years, but I HAVE gotten into hair pulling or skin picking when I&#39;m stressed or nervous. The site definitely suggests meds, but I don&#39;t think that&#39;s the answer to it all. I notice that I don&#39;t pull my hair when I&#39;m not stressed or when I&#39;m actually busy and around other people. I cease with the skin stuff if I actively zap a pimple with a mask or treatment to keep it from irritating me - thus tempting me to pick it.

Drama :)

bolagp2000
11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I am surprised that this is being discussed publicly because i&#39;ve never admitted this to anyone outside my family (who are very aware of it ) because it&#39;s just soooo embarassing and i always braid or do styles that cover-up!
I&#39;ve pulled my hair for as long as i could use my little fingers and i always had patches on my head as a child so my mother always gave me a boy cut obsessively. My siblings used to tease me about it when we argued and it HURT like a needle! I am an avid reader and my mother observed when i was younger that she catches me pulling more obsessively whenever i&#39;m reading which for me is practically all the time. As i grew older, i made a conscious effort to catch myself when i feel the urge bbut many times it is subconcsious,and it worked for a while but now I"m in medical school so i&#39;m often stressed and read more than ever, A huge trigger combination. My permed hair looks BAD! and i&#39;m in the process of transitioning to natural hair but this has been the one big BUT my whole life. I also ehibit signs of mild OCD.

It feels good to finally share that! and i&#39;m glad not to feel alone. I&#39;ve never met anyone witht he same habit.

Sunshine2177
12-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I too began to suffer from trichotillomoania....but it was indirect. I used to bite my nails excessively and I did everything to stop. It got to a point where I found this nail polish that had a bitter substance mixed in and it would make me gag when I tried to bite my nails. Needless to say I was curbed from biting my nails but then I had an obession with pulling out my hair.

The stress just switched from one outlet to another :( and protective style don&#39;t help it brought me even more pleasure to sit there and strategically pull hairs out of a perfect cornrow or a perfectly braid...I guess that was my own ritual. I&#39;ve tried to slow down though just by being more conscious of what I&#39;m doing and it does help a great deal.
[/b]

ok i am re-reading this thread and just now making the connection.

i used to be a nail bitter as well but tried hard to stop because i thought it was/is such a disgusting habit.

and now after reading your post, i realize that the habits just switched for me as well. The novelty of natural kinky/coily hair to pull on came about so now I don&#39;t bite my nails anymore.

Sunshine2177
12-10-2006, 01:35 AM
I am a hair puller also. I just love the feel of it. I usually pull out strands and play with the strand that I pulled out or break them off. I think I break more hair than I pull out. My co-workers pick on me about it and tell me to stop or they will pull my arm away from my hair. My mom gets on me about it too but she does it also, just not as bad. I hate this condition. I had to draw the line when I noticed a small bald patch in the front of my head and a spot with no hair. I was so mad! No I am trying really hard to stop and I&#39;m doing better but still doing it occasionally. It&#39;s so hard!

I do it the most when I&#39;m at home watchin tv or in my car. There&#39;s balls of hair all over my floor and the floor of my car. I get disgusted with myself when I see them. When I&#39;m at home I always wear my hair back in a bun or braid and put a scarf on my head....that&#39;s the only way I can stop. If I had my hair out I know I would pull it.

Thanks for posting this thread and thanks for the link. I am interested in hearing how everyone is trying to conquer this condition.
[/b]

Same here. I am actually sitting here twirling my hair as I am reading this thread. LOL. You reminded me that I should probably go wrap my hair now before I get carried away.

As for the sign aspect, my sun is virgo but I do have a fire sign as my moon sign.

Cutie McPretty
12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi, just checkin in on everyone and updating :).

Argghhh I&#39;m soooo stressed out right now that i&#39;m tugging all the time :(. I think that i&#39;m gonna just put some twists in this weekend.

caramelaggie
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
This is good info! I have a friend ( she used to be on this site but went back to the creamy crack) that pulls out her hair all the time. I am going to pass this info on to her.

Oh yeah Twistie74 I love your hair in your picture! Is that a rollerset?

Lizz
12-22-2006, 07:23 AM
:blush: I have a small patch that I constantly pull in the front. I notice how broken off and thin the hair in that spot was just a few days ago after doing a roller set. It&#39;s the reason I decided to do protective styles for a few months.

At first I didn&#39;t think much of it but now when I think about when I do it I&#39;m really stressed. When I had a chemical fire cream I use to pull at a spot in the back too but I have stopped that...go figure. But I can&#39;t seem to leave this spot along in the front. :huh:

Twistie74
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
This is good info! I have a friend ( she used to be on this site but went back to the creamy crack) that pulls out her hair all the time. I am going to pass this info on to her.

Oh yeah Twistie74 I love your hair in your picture! Is that a rollerset?
[/b]

Thanks! Yes, it is indeed a roller set :)

Twinkie
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Same here. I am actually sitting here twirling my hair as I am reading this thread. LOL. You reminded me that I should probably go wrap my hair now before I get carried away.

As for the sign aspect, my sun is virgo but I do have a fire sign as my moon sign.
[/b]

When I was a baby, I pulled most of my hair out. My daughter pulls on her hair. Thanks so much for your posts. I&#39;m definitely going to curb my tendency to twirl my twists and look for split ends to cut off! I&#39;ve been wearing a scarf at night, when I get tired. That seems to help. Whoever mentioned Sea Breeze is onto something. I have a weak spot and I swear it itches so bad. If only it wouldn&#39;t dry out our type hair!! I&#39;m going to try to see if I&#39;m actually pulling or twirling hairs in that area. I have a tendency to play and tug with my hair.

rastar102
01-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi All. This discussion has been really informative for me. I think I suffer from this condition too (though I wasn&#39;t diagnosed). I am currently in law school and will have had dreads for a year come this march. I think the stress of school triggered this habit and I have more or less picked out both sides of my hair and some of the front. I am highly embarrassed because there is only so much I can do with my hair as a result and I have a hard time admitting this to others. The rest of my hair is growing so nicely so I dont really want to cut it off and start all over but considering the damage I&#39;ve caused, I&#39;m not so sure. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Your honesty is really refreshing and I would love to join the challenge as well! :)

leleepop@sbcglobal.net
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a spot in the right crow also. I have been using 3oz. water,1 oz. vo5 ,1/2 oz castor oil w/rosemary,laveneder,pprment,and rosewater eo&#39;s, in an applicator bottle, to releive the itchyness and its working well. After reading this post I am going to make a big effort not to manipulate that area.

goldenladym
01-26-2007, 05:02 AM
I also have this condition. I have been pulling since I was in high school and haven&#39;t been able to stop for more than 1-2 months at a time. Thing is... I only pull my eyelashes and on rare occasion an eyebrow hair or two.
I hide it with lots of waterproof eyeliner and pretty eyeshadow. I also were glasses instead of my contacts a lot. I have had medication that helps with this ( I also have anxiety dx&#39;d by a doctor). I only take it sometimes b/c of the side effects.
I have found that exercising more and staying busy gets rid of a lot of my nervous energy. Also meditating and daily relaxation may help. Still, it&#39;s hard. The urge to pull is like scratching an itch.

LadyBug13
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Argghhh I&#39;m soooo stressed out right now that i&#39;m tugging all the time :(. I think that i&#39;m gonna just put some twists in this weekend.
[/b]

This is my first time posting in this forum. I&#39;m not sure me tugging on my hair is starting to become a serious condition or not, but ever since becoming napptural I&#39;ve been so fascinated with my hair that I like to play in it. Like Tryce, I&#39;ve been stressing out, especially recently, and I&#39;ve noticed little colis all over my shoulders and bed. I put twists in last night and ill keep them in for the weekend. I may keep them in for a while (spritzing with water) and wear my head wraps for a while.

smpb200
01-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Having locs has helped some of my sides to grown in.When my hair was relaxed it was so much easier to pull out my sides.

Whenever i&#39;m stressed pull my hair.However my loctitian styles my hair so i cant get at my sides.

I feels so much better because I&#39;m no longer embarrassed by my bald sides.

ACV rinses should help those with itchy spots.

Yema
01-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi All,

I&#39;m so greatful that others have the courage to talk about trichotillomania, I&#39;ve been suffering w/ this disorder for 17 years and its only been within the last 4 that I&#39;ve made significant progress. Speaking from my personal experience, when it started I was 7 yrs. old in the 2nd grade and never told my family about it until I was 18 years old, a senior in high school in 2000. Since then what I&#39;ve learned from my therapist, the TLC (Trichotillomania Learning Center website and their various support groups throughout the U.S.) is that stress is a key factor in hair pulling, nail biting and skin picking. I&#39;ve been on the medication zoloft for the last 4 years and I&#39;ve noticed a decrease in hair pulling, because being idle and I also suffered w/ depression (which was brought on by having trich.) did help.

I noticed another member says keeping busy helps, and she&#39;s right, I crochet until my hands fall off, as a means of exhausting my right hand so that it becomes too cramped to pull with, not to mention I also decided to cut my hair off and I wore a head wrap. Now I know that last part is a bit extreme, but I couldn&#39;t stand to see one huge bald patch in the center of my head any more, so I deciede to were my hair in a crew cut after doing this for almost a year I grew brave enough to stop wearing a head wrap. And vowed to cut it any and everytime I pulled a strand, I did this for the 4 years and currently I&#39;m at a place now were I have a full head of hair, and feel somewhat confident to let it grow past the usual quarter inch, presently the length is 2 inches. Something that I thought was impossible to achieve.

So to everyone, their is hope, what I learned through my struggles with trich. is that thier is help, stress is inevitable, but managable, beware of being idle (watching television, reading... those solo activities are usually ideal times for pulling) and I also found it helpful to go to my chapters Trichotillomania support group (I&#39;m from NYC by the way so if anyones info. on the support group please let me know), and therapy (talk-therapy=psychotherapy) was a big factor for me, have someone I could talk too not to mention they were legally obligated to practice discretion, did help me overcome my squemishness about my condition.

Ever Onward...

See book by author Fred Penzel-"The Hair Pulling Problem" very useful information

Sinamin
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
OK,..Now I know what I am doing to my hair. I am pullling it out. I am twisting it to deth. My partner says I do it even in my sleep! Then I wonder why My hair has broken off in two spots, each above my ear and highter. I hav had the BC done 4 FOUR times! I started in 2003. The last bneing 5th of Jan. just as I approched (7) SEVEN! months. I use to twist before when my hair was long I had a curl. I guess it didn&#39;t break because it was so moist. Or maybe I didn&#39;t notice the break because It was so long. I was begining to think I mihgt have Alopecia & Hair Loss. But then I came across this tread, and it was so flmiliar, hhmmm... I even twist at work. I have my own office, so I can do it any time I want. So now I know if I want my hair to finish growing, I MUST keep my hands out of it!!! It will be hard but I&#39;ll keep comming back here for encouragement. THANKS FOR BRINING THIS SUBJECT OUT. :D

erbnth
02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow, a lot of trich sufferers. I have pulled for about 30 years. I have a very severe case of trich. I am trying to leave my hair alone so it can grow and try to lock it. I am hoping that locks will discourage me from pulling.

LadyEve
06-08-2007, 12:58 AM
:( Need some support, having a hard time right now and now that my hair is growing back after I cut it all off I am pulling it out again, in the same spot, at the back - top side. I have bitten my nails to nothing, now it is my

Dovechild20
06-21-2007, 03:47 AM
Hmm, do i have this disorder?...i pull my eyelashes and eyebrows out when i get bored/nervous/stressed. *goes to look*

ETA: from reading the website given from the OP, i most definitely think i have this disorder. It gets so bad where my husband has to eyeball me a lot and swat my hand away from my face because i&#39;ll be pulling my eyelashes out.

A really embarrassing story for me was back when i was in 7th grade, i had already begun pulling my eyelashes out and everything. But on a visit over my father&#39;s house over Christmas vacation, i ended up burning my eye tryna curl my bangs with the hot iron, it slipped out of my hand (due to my greasy hands) and it fell on and burned my right eye.

Anywho, i went back to school with an eye patch on and perscription for eye drops to heal my cornea and what not. Anyways, one day when after the patch came off, i was showing my music teacher, Mrs. Moore my burnt eye (cause i was gross like that) and i was tryna tell her about my burnt eye and that i had even burned some of my eyelashes off in the process (which i had). Well, i had been pulling out my eyelashes so bad, she couldnt tell which eye had been burnt and which had not because both of my eyelids were practically bald.

I was SOOO embarrassed and she didnt know what to make of it and i was too embarrassed to explain why BOTH of my eyelids were bald instead of just the burned one.

UGH.

Anywho, i think i will research this site a little more. Ive been good lately about my eyebrows, cause at my worst, ive been known to pull ALL my eyelashes AND my eyebrows out. But i havent touched my eyebrows in a long while. Now, ive gotten it down to not touching my left eyelid (for the most part), but the right eyelid (i guess cause im right handed) gets picked a lot and im TRYING to stop, but a lot of times, i do it unknowingly.

Sigh.

Some of the things that ive tried/i try is putting on that clear mascara on my lashes and/or brows so that they dont "tickle" and get the urge to pluck them. Sometimes i forget i put the mascara on tho and when it hardens and tickles anyway, it makes me wanna pluck them more.

Ive tried just sitting on my hands, washing my face, brushing my eyelashes and just plain willing myself not to do it by creating something else for me to do.

It is SOO hard tho.

Tynesha2000
06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. I have been reading the postings and am near tears. I have been pulling my hair out by the follicle since I was about 7 or 8 years old. It has been approximately 24 years. This is the very first time that I have had the courage to tell anyone. For years I have been telling people that it is alopecia episodes. Although this was embarrassing to me it was better than telling people that the reason that my hair was thinning and balding in some places was because I was pulling my hair out. I don&#39;t think that my parents even knew exactly what was causing my hair loss. They took me to several dermatologist who were absolutely no help. I wore a wig to elementary school from the 2nd grade to the 6th grade. Even in junior high and high school I would still pull. I lived in a household full of yelling, screaming and abuse so when I wasn&#39;t pulling out my hair I was biting my nails to the nub.

There have been periods of time when I didn&#39;t that would last for a couple of months, even a year or two. But as soon as get stress out I start pulling again. Most of the time I don&#39;t even realize that I am doing it. A couple of years ago I had an episode while I was wearing my hair in cornrows. I think that I pulled my hair so much during this time that I may have cause some permanent damage to my scalp. Now when I tell people that I have a scalp condition I just may be telling the truth. My hair has recovered a little but now my hair is thin on top to the point where you can see my scalp.

There have been times that I feel that I completely lost control when I was pulling. I would pull and pull until I got a follicle and then I would pull some more so that to get more follicles. Any more I don&#39;t even feel pain. Theclosest thing that I can write to describe how pulling has made me feel is relief followed closely by shame. Now that I know what this is called maybe I can get some help for it. Thank you all for being so open and honest and sharing your stories with so many. You will never know how many people you have really helped.

Pokahontas
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Here&#39;s another link Trichotillomania (http://psychcentral.com/library/hair_pulling.htm).

I began suffering from this condition at the age of 12 (the typical age that this condition happens). I got it under control at 16, but I still have to watch myself to this day, because if I get the urge to pull and act on it, it&#39;s very hard to stop. This condition was the reason why I BC&#39;d at the age of 15. By the time I BC&#39;d, I&#39;d successfully pulled out the crown of my hair, with an emphasis on the left side of my head. My mother wanted to believe that it was a medical condition, not mental, so she took me to a doctor so that I could have a small biopsy done on my scalp. However, the doctor knew that I was pulling out my hair and suggested that I get counseling. I was led to believe that I was stressed out or that I had some other psychological issues because people couldn&#39;t believe that I would do this to myself without provocation. However, I never felt that I was stressed or had any of these supposed issues. The official cause of this condition is relatively unknown even in the general medical community (my mom is a nurse, and the doctor who did my biopsy was obviously clueless) and is not categorized as an obsessive compulsive disorder. However, I tend to disagree with this because I have exhibited other signs of OCD that I believe can be linked to this (no stress or other mental ailments though <_< ). I thought that having short hair would cure me, but I yanked out my hair as soon as it grew in, and had a giant patch in my TWA. I finally gained some control at 16 and stopped for a year. I relapsed at 17, but got that under control after a couple of months. I&#39;ll never be 100% (I pulled for a day or two a couple of weeks ago, and I will admit that I feel the urge to pull more when I am stressed, although stress isn&#39;t the sole cause of these urges), but I do have control and care enough about my hair follicles to force myself to stop. The stigma of this condition is incredibly great. When I finally get my hair album together, I plan to dedicate a section of it to my experiences with this condition (those of you who pull know that we like to pull the curly hairs best, that we&#39;re not happy unless we&#39;ve pulled out a follicle, that we have our special "spots" to pull, and that we have our own little rituals to go along with the act). I&#39;m glad this is finally being discussed on NP.
[/b]
Wow, that really hit home for me. I can relate to all of that.

tmedley
07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I am a hair puller too. Ever since I&#39;ve started seeing those one strand knots I&#39;ve been pulling at them and then the whole strand comes out in my hand with the little bulb on it. I just took my weave down a few days ago and I can see on the left side my hair line has thinned a little from me doing that. I&#39;ve never had a problem with my hairline at all. And I know I kept yanking at that section. It&#39;s not that noticeable once I smooth my edges down but I have to stop before it gets out of hand. How do I stop?

NikkiBNatural
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM

I didn&#39;t think it was rare or odd because it would happen every once in a while. Now, I notice that it happens when I&#39;m stressed or concentrating really hard about something. At first, I didn&#39;t think anything of it - until someone pointed it out to me.

The name for it is trichotillomania and here&#39;s a link (http://www.trich.org/home/default.asp) to a website that I found useful.
[/b]

I am a hair-puller too. thought it would get better (been doing it since i was 15, now i&#39;m 32). its worse now. I have VERY little hair around the crown of my head and a couple of other thin patches. dont know what to do now because i think ive done it for so long that it just wont grow back...even in areas i havent pulled from in weeks. maybe its just growing much more slowly than it used to. I went natural in January. Now I just want what i have to be healthy...but its so nappy! somebody help me find a moisturizer that will make it easier to comb to prevent further breakage. any other tips on the trichotillomania will be helpful as well. i have a great husband and although he doesnt complain, i want him to be proud of the way his wife looks. help

nubiangoddess3
07-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Wow I am shocked that there are ppl like me,I&#39;ve been pulling out my eyelashes and eyebrows since I was 6... I stopped pulling out my eyebrows but I cant seem to stop pulling out my eyelashes... But I&#39;m trying...
I have never pulled the hair on my head and I hope I never do,,

Maryah04
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
so glad I found this thread. :) I am a hair puller too and I thought I was a "special case". I will take alook @ the link and let you know my finds. THANKS

Monica

I didn&#39;t think it was rare or odd because it would happen every once in a while. Now, I notice that it happens when I&#39;m stressed or concentrating really hard about something. At first, I didn&#39;t think anything of it - until someone pointed it out to me.

The name for it is trichotillomania and here&#39;s a link (http://www.trich.org/home/default.asp) to a website that I found useful.
[/b]

rhoglnn
12-01-2008, 01:54 AM
I have pulled out 3 lashes today. I am slowly growing them back. Recently I pulled out two patches out the front corners. On the left it was because it was pulled to tightly and it felt good. About 6 of them with long clear bulbs on the end and that spot was sore for days before I pulled it out.

On the right I had a sore pimple with hair in it. I went to town.

I have a very understanding braider. She braids up my picking areas to keep my hands out of my hair. Rencently she braided in just a little bit of hair into each french braid in that area and guess what? There are split ends in the extention. I can pick hair and it is not my own.

usimmons
12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
[/b]

Since I posted this comment I have been diagnosed with scarring alopecia. I now have a bigger bald spot in the top of my head about the size of a quarter. I&#39;ve seen one dermatologist and he helped but it would call for me to take medication for the rest if my life and it was very hard to get a follow up appointment with him. So I&#39;ve made an appointment with a black female dermatologist. Hopefull she can help. I&#39;m having issue with my hair growing out split and damaged so it breaks to the root and make my hair look even thinner. The only time it seems to grow out fine is when I have yarn braids in but then when I take them out give it a month and my hair starts breaking left and right.

smpb200
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I&#39;ve started pulling my left temple again.I&#39;ve naturally thin sides and I&#39;m making it worse.My life is very stressful right now and I really don&#39;t know how to stop.

Twistie74
12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I&#39;ve been getting better with it. My best defense? When I get home for the day, I put on a satin scarf. That way, since it&#39;s covered...it&#39;s like an &#39;outta sight, outta mind&#39; thing for me. Good luck ya&#39;ll!

LadyEve
02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I&#39;ve started pulling my left temple again.I&#39;ve naturally thin sides and I&#39;m making it worse.My life is very stressful right now and I really don&#39;t know how to stop.
[/b]

I know exactly what you are going through. As a little girl about ten I started pulling out hair, I usually pull it out at the back near the crown. It was a very stressful time for me at the time I started I won&#39;t bother to go into details. Now each time I am deeply stressed out I either pull my hair or bite my finger nails down really badly. When my finger nails are bitten down so badly that there is no more for me to bite I pull out my hair. I can remember when I used the fire cream hairdressers asking me "why is this part of your hair so short?" and on top of that I was born with no hair at my temples so they ask me "why you do not have any hair at your temples"? I never answered them although they would insist on asking me repeatedly. I had stopped for a while, it was a very happy time in my life. I had a new job and I enjoyed it, met some really wonderful people and my hair at the back grew out. Now I had to move, because of my husband, and I am very unhappy here, I miss my friends and I do not like where I work. Not to mention other stresses at home so here I am pulling it all out again. Wish I had some advice for you, I read somewhere that seeing a therapist can help. :(

rhoglnn
02-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Micro&#39;s help. I have short areas about 2" deep at the corners of my forehead. They started filling in and then...on my right side I pulled out a dime size. It wasn&#39;t in a micro. I tell all my my hair dressers because I hate the questions. My braider understands. It is growing so much now that I am pregnant. I am in a filling in stage with my eyebrows, eyelashes and scalp. I want everything filled in when the baby is born. Pictures.

olympia621
02-09-2009, 02:25 AM
I started pulling a few lashes recently. I have contacts and if I get a hair in my eye it&#39;s murder.
Sometimes I try to "catch" the lash before it goes in to my eye. It normally curves down and at the root it will hurt. I then started sweeping my fingers across my lids to feel the sore spots. I would pluck those lashes. One night I ended up pulling a lot of lashes and left a bald spot. I still search for the sore spots but try to be conscious of not over doing it.
Incidently, I used to chew my fingernails until they bled when I was younger. If I didn&#39;t have nails to chew I would peel the skin. I stopped cold turkey when I was 12 because I wanted pretty nails.

CuckooPuffs
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I nearly pulled all my hair out this past summer; from the stress of loosing my home to foreclosure & spiraling into a deep depression, with the BC in Dec. my hair is slowly starting to fill in in those spots that were thin.

colochita1215
02-24-2009, 03:06 AM
I am really surprised to see so many people discussing Trichotillomania out in the open. I thought it was just my dirty little secret. Like many of you I started pulling when I was younger and it became a part of my personality, something that my friends and family know I do but it&#39;s just "oh she&#39;s playing with her hair again". I do it when Im bored, concentrating on something really hard, in a situation where I feel uncomfortable, driving (yes driving!). I carry tweezers in my pocket and I pull eyelashes, to the point where I have left holes and had to wear mascara to kind of fill in. When i started medical school last year it got really bad. I have a go to spot that turned into 3 different spots on my head and that was too much for me. My go to spot was bald, but I have a lot of hair so I became good at hiding my spots with headbands and just combing it to fill in the spot. But, I looked up a behavioral therapist and started seeing her once a week. The behavior is an OCD type behavior, I even did it while I was on the couch talking to her..lol. She recommended recording how many times I do pull and gave me a system to rate my pulling. When I would come into her, we would go through my week. the system was one where I assigned a number, 1 being the best with no pulls, and 5 being the worst that I was pulling and knew I was pulling but kept doing it. I was comfortable at 3 which was I pulled, realized I was pulling then stopped, but she kept working me to get to 2 which was I thought about pulling or I wanted to pull but I didn&#39;t. Even becoming aware that I was doing it was a HUGE step and she helped me to work through the falsehood that "this relaxes me, it soothes me, it helps me to concentrate" I won&#39;t lie and say I don&#39;t pull anymore but she did help me a lot. For those of you who are struggling I highly recommend seeing a professional, they can help!

Gorgeouslocs
03-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Wow! Forgive my ignorance; but I didn&#39;t realize this problem was so prevelant with the black community! I&#39;m surprised to see so many long time nappies have this problem to this day! :blush: Very interesting.... enlightening even....Please continue....

rabia
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
[quote]
Since posting this, I&#39;ve been making a conscious effort to be aware of the urge to pull.

It&#39;s interesting that some of you mentioned the little white follicle at the end. Whenever I pulled, it wouldn&#39;t be satisfying if I didn&#39;t get the little white follicle at the end, also.
[quote]
:( i am rabia and i am also a hair puller no one around me understands why i do this and i am and have gotten help. it gets hard when stress/worry creep in from time to time. most times my episodes are short lived and there are times like now that seemed to have taken up residence(smile). thanx, to you, and congrats, peace,rabia :D :D

smpb200
04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Since December the stress became worse and I pulled my already thin temple hair until I have a bald spot.I am lucky that my locs are long enough to cover the area. I am trying to stop because I&#39;m embarrassed by the bald spot.My stylist knows that I have naturally thin temples but she asked about the bald spot. I need to control my stress levels but I have so many different issues at the moment that i don&#39;t know where to begin.

Twistie74
05-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Incidently, I used to chew my fingernails until they bled when I was younger. If I didn&#39;t have nails to chew I would peel the skin. I stopped cold turkey when I was 12 because I wanted pretty nails.
[/b]

I used to bite my nails until the skin was puffy. I too stopped cold turkey when entering high school because I thought "High school girls have nice nails, they don&#39;t bite their nails." Haven&#39;t bitten them ever since.

angelb611
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I too am a trich sufferer. Ever since I was 15. I try to wear protective styles but as soon as take the protective style down, I&#39;m back to pullling...

smpb200
06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I always pull my hair when I am stressed, which recently has been often. I have noticed my 2 year old has started biting her fingernails. her father bites his nails also, so who knows why she is doing this.

taryn77
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I notice that I pull less if my hair is almost squeaky clean. Oils and grease make me pull more. When I get the urge to pull, or catch myself pulling, I wash my hair with a tea tree shampoo. Not sure why but the tingle helps. A night like tonight, I'm sleeping with conditioner in my hair. I don't pull when it's wet.

taryn77
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I started pulling a few lashes recently. I have contacts and if I get a hair in my eye it's murder.
Sometimes I try to "catch" the lash before it goes in to my eye. It normally curves down and at the root it will hurt. I then started sweeping my fingers across my lids to feel the sore spots. I would pluck those lashes. One night I ended up pulling a lot of lashes and left a bald spot. I still search for the sore spots but try to be conscious of not over doing it.
Incidently, I used to chew my fingernails until they bled when I was younger. If I didn't have nails to chew I would peel the skin. I stopped cold turkey when I was 12 because I wanted pretty nails.

I know what you mean! When I pull, I always find the sore spot on my scalp to pull from.