PDA

View Full Version : Alopecia Arreata & Getting A Haircut

iandi
06-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Ladies,

I've got a nearly bald spot in the back of my head and also a much smaller one in the crown. I also have traction alopecia at the sides, but I've noticed that since I BC'd my locks, the hair on the sides seems to be coming back in, slowly but surely.

Anyway, what I want to know is this: Has anyone here ever tried cutting their hair down with this condition? I have about 2 or 3 inches of hair all around, and I want to get it cut closer to the scalp. Will this make my bald spot more obvious? Is there anyway for a barber to cut it so that it isn't as obvious? :dunno:

I'd love to hear from any of you suffering with alopecia arreata, or any kind of hair thinning situation who've had your hair cut down. How did it look? Were you satisfied with the outcome? :D Did you regret it? :doh

Right now I'm so frustrated with the state of my hair I feel like I just want to cut it all off - I just don't want to make the situation worse, though.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :wub:

iandi

JuneBug
06-14-2005, 03:37 AM
I have alopecia areata. I did a bc 2 years but as soon as I did it I was like "OMG what did I do :( ." I cut my hair down to about an inch. Since I do not have thick hair it was easy to see the bald spot at the top of my head. As soon as I realize that the spot was noticeable I ran out to but some hair to put cornrows in.

Check out my fotki, you can see how big the spot is. Although, when I did the BC 2 years ago it was not that large.

iandi
06-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your response, Nine...I checked out your fotki - do you have any pics of your BC?

Have you been trying any of the alopecia treatments? Have you tried the shots? I've been thinking of getting the shots myself, but I'm not sure yet. I've been to a trichologist, but I need a derm for a second opinion, then I'll decide if I should get the shots or not. If you have tried treatments, what were the results for you?

do you believe alopecia is caused by stress, poor diet, etc?
just curious about what you think...

iandi

ms_rite
06-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by iandi@Jun 14 2005, 02:26 AM
Ladies,

I've got a nearly bald spot in the back of my head and also a much smaller one in the crown. I also have traction alopecia at the sides, but I've noticed that since I BC'd my locks, the hair on the sides seems to be coming back in, slowly but surely.

Anyway, what I want to know is this: Has anyone here ever tried cutting their hair down with this condition? I have about 2 or 3 inches of hair all around, and I want to get it cut closer to the scalp. Will this make my bald spot more obvious? Is there anyway for a barber to cut it so that it isn't as obvious? :dunno:

I'd love to hear from any of you suffering with alopecia arreata, or any kind of hair thinning situation who've had your hair cut down. How did it look? Were you satisfied with the outcome? :D Did you regret it? :doh

Right now I'm so frustrated with the state of my hair I feel like I just want to cut it all off - I just don't want to make the situation worse, though.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :wub:

iandi

Hey iandi

I completely understand your fears. I have suffered with alopecia on and off since I was about 13. The only time I cut my hair was when it was processed in my early twenties, it was easier to hide the spots and my hairdresser was v. understanding and used to do my hair at home.

I wouldn't suggest cutting your hair too low as with natural hair its difficult to disguise the spots. I have one at the top of my head that I am v. conscious and I've got about 3 inchs of hair on the top. I'm not sure how low you were thinking of cutting, but anything lower than 2 inchs will make the patches more visible.

I would suggest extensions, but you have loss due to traction it would just make things worse. I style my hair in coil twists with gel at the moment. There is no tension on the hair at all and as I do it myself its quite loose and hides my spot.

I hope this is helpful.

iandi
06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Ms rite, thanks for responding, your post was quite helpful. I like the idea of comb twists, but for some reason I can't seem to do them myself. How do you do the back? I find it very difficult to style the back of my hair, especially when it is this short. What do you do to make styling the comb twists easier? Can you tell me the steps required to do comb twists? Maybe I'm just not doing it right.

iandi

iandi
06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Ms rite, thanks for responding, your post was quite helpful. I like the idea of comb twists, but for some reason I can't seem to do them myself. How do you do the back? I find it very difficult to style the back of my hair, especially when it is this short. What do you do to make styling the comb twists easier? Can you tell me the steps required to do comb twists? Maybe I'm just not doing it right.

iandi

JuneBug
06-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by iandi@Jun 14 2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your response, Nine...I checked out your fotki - do you have any pics of your BC?

Have you been trying any of the alopecia treatments? Have you tried the shots? I've been thinking of getting the shots myself, but I'm not sure yet. I've been to a trichologist, but I need a derm for a second opinion, then I'll decide if I should get the shots or not. If you have tried treatments, what were the results for you?

do you believe alopecia is caused by stress, poor diet, etc?
just curious about what you think...

iandi

You're welcome. I actually diagnosed myself with alopecia. I did some research on it and realized that I had all of the symptoms. The only thing that I tried is surge 14. I have to make an appointment with my dermatologist (or another one because my current one is a nut). I really couldn't make it to the times that he had available.

I think that my alopecia was a result of stress and depression. When I first noticed the spot, it was around the time when I was really going through some hard times and after that it just kept getting worse. Having this bald spot is kind of depressing because I cannot wear certain styles and I'm always worrying about if I covered it properly, but I try not to think about it.

I had this problem for five years. It really fools me sometimes because one moment it's growing back and the next it's falling out. I hope when i go to the dermatologist he doesn't tell me that my bald spot is permanent.

ms_rite
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by iandi@Jun 14 2005, 04:56 PM

iandi

Thanks no problem, iandi, I'm glad you found my post helpful.

Now I don't have a photo album or anything like that right now. But because I know how stressful hairloss is I will make one for you :). And try and give instructions as well. I'm doing my hair this weekend, so I'll work on it and get something to you soon.

Button2004
06-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Well, you know about mind. Even though it seems to be filling out it makes me feel really bad and selfconscious. When I had hair I could hide it but now it sticks out like a sore thumb. :(

Others say it looks fine but it really bothers me. :unsure:

JuneBug
06-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Button2004@Jun 16 2005, 08:56 PM
Well, you know about mind. Even though it seems to be filling out it makes me feel really bad and selfconscious. When I had hair I could hide it but now it sticks out like a sore thumb. :(

I know what you mean Button. Although people tell me that my the spot is filling out I don't see it. I am always thinking about if I covered it well enough. When I am sitting down on the train and someone is standing over me I'm thinking that they can see it.

Well I just made an appointment yesterday to see my dermatologist for the 21st of this month. I have to miss class but it's ok I can't wait any longer.

lisabee30
06-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Ninecu22+Jun 16 2005, 05:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Button2004@Jun 16 2005, 08:56 PM

I know what you mean Button. Although people tell me that my the spot is filling out I don&#39;t see it. I am always thinking about if I covered it well enough. When I am sitting down on the train and someone is standing over me I&#39;m thinking that they can see it.

Well I just made an appointment yesterday to see my dermatologist for the 21st of this month. I have to miss class but it&#39;s ok I can&#39;t wait any longer.

[/b]
Ninecu22,

I know exactly how you feel. I have the same hair loss situation and i&#39;ve been seeing a derm since January who has not been helpful at all. but the thinning at the top of the head looks like it might also be from traction alopecia. I used to always wear my natural hair pulled back in a bun for 10 years for the most part. I didn&#39;t think the ponytails were that tight but i guess they did their damage.
I had a one time visit with a derm (african-american) that was very helpful prior to my current derm and she gave me some tips which I&#39;ll list below. unfortunately, could not continue to see her secondary to insurance issues. 1) she said stop all pulling of her into ponytails to stop the traction on the scalp 2) she said that even the hair gels that we used to slick the hair back also exerts tension on the hair 3) she said not to even wrap hair tightly in head scarfs because of tension that this can create at the hairline-- she advised satin pillowcases and just leaving the hair loose 4) she advised that I start to use rogaine all over as a preventive measure to try to retain the hair follicles that i do have (I have other bald spots all over my scalp) 5)if you are anemic- iron deficieny will also contribute to hair loss as well as not getting adequate protein. right now I&#39;m searching for a hair style that will not cause traction alopecia. my hair is also naturally fine and with the addition of the hair loss looks very thin if i do two strand twists, so i don&#39;t know what to do. i&#39;m besides myself.

JuneBug
06-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by lisabee30+Jun 17 2005, 06:46 PM-->

Originally posted by Ninecu22@Jun 16 2005, 05:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Button2004@Jun 16 2005, 08:56 PM

I know what you mean Button. Although people tell me that my the spot is filling out I don&#39;t see it. I am always thinking about if I covered it well enough. When I am sitting down on the train and someone is standing over me I&#39;m thinking that they can see it.

Well I just made an appointment yesterday to see my dermatologist for the 21st of this month. I have to miss class but it&#39;s ok I can&#39;t wait any longer.

Ninecu22,

I know exactly how you feel. I have the same hair loss situation and i&#39;ve been seeing a derm since January who has not been helpful at all. but the thinning at the top of the head looks like it might also be from traction alopecia. I used to always wear my natural hair pulled back in a bun for 10 years for the most part. I didn&#39;t think the ponytails were that tight but i guess they did their damage.
I had a one time visit with a derm (african-american) that was very helpful prior to my current derm and she gave me some tips which I&#39;ll list below. unfortunately, could not continue to see her secondary to insurance issues. 1) she said stop all pulling of her into ponytails to stop the traction on the scalp 2) she said that even the hair gels that we used to slick the hair back also exerts tension on the hair 3) she said not to even wrap hair tightly in head scarfs because of tension that this can create at the hairline-- she advised satin pillowcases and just leaving the hair loose 4) she advised that I start to use rogaine all over as a preventive measure to try to retain the hair follicles that i do have (I have other bald spots all over my scalp) 5)if you are anemic- iron deficieny will also contribute to hair loss as well as not getting adequate protein. right now I&#39;m searching for a hair style that will not cause traction alopecia. my hair is also naturally fine and with the addition of the hair loss looks very thin if i do two strand twists, so i don&#39;t know what to do. i&#39;m besides myself.

[/b]

Thanks lisabee for the hair tips. I already use a satin pillow case since it&#39;s summer now and I don&#39;t want to tie my head because it going to keep it really hot. I am not too sure about the rogaine. I think I remember hearing negative reports on that. I will do research on it though. I use hair gel everday because the hair around the spot is too short to fit into a proper ponytail. I don&#39;t want to use braids because I&#39;m afraid that it will pull out more hair. I don&#39;t know. I might try a weave.
I am in the same predicament as you, girl. I have no clue.

What hair style wouldn&#39;t cause traction alopecia? The only hair style that I could think of is a plain afro. Besides that, all other hair styles pull at your hair in some way; be it twist, bantu knots, pony puffs, braids, or any other styles, there is still gonig to be some sort of tension created on the scalp.

When I decided to take out the braids after my big chop I tried twists. I strategically placed the hair to cover the spot. Keeping my hair in twist for several months grew it, but I got tired of retwisting it every 2 weeks. Once I seen that my hair was a decent length I gave in (http://ninecu22.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album04) and I put that ungodly creamy crack into to my hair. Well, I learned my lesson. After a few months with the perm, my hair dropped out again. I say never again to creamy crack. This time I am going to stay napptural.

afrodancer624
06-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Hello,

I just experienced the exact same thing that you described. I had what felt like a bald spot in the crown of my head and other areas near the rear that were severely thinning. I was able to cover it but when i ran my hand across it, I knew it was there and I didnt like that. I went for a consultation three weeks ago and was informed that I could just keep getting it trimmed and take better care of it and it would catch up so i took some time to think about it. About one week ago i decided to take the plung and i cut it down to the length of the broken area. The spots are not noticeable because I decided that i wanted it cut down as far as I needed it cut for that not to happen. I had about five inches of hair and now i have less than half an inch and I LOVE IT and I feel completely liberated.!

iandi
06-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by afrodancer624@Jun 19 2005, 09:37 AM
Hello,

I just experienced the exact same thing that you described. I had what felt like a bald spot in the crown of my head and other areas near the rear that were severely thinning. I was able to cover it but when i ran my hand across it, I knew it was there and I didnt like that. I went for a consultation three weeks ago and was informed that I could just keep getting it trimmed and take better care of it and it would catch up so i took some time to think about it. About one week ago i decided to take the plung and i cut it down to the length of the broken area. The spots are not noticeable because I decided that i wanted it cut down as far as I needed it cut for that not to happen. I had about five inches of hair and now i have less than half an inch and I LOVE IT and I feel completely liberated.!

Afrodancer, you are so lucky! I bet you look so fabulous with your super twa right now! How I wish I could do that...How big is the bald/thinning spot in question? The size of a quarter? Bigger? Smaller? Just wondering, wanted to compare my own to yours - I figure if its about the same size I may just take the plunge. Im gonna go to a derm before I do anything, though. Do you have any pics?

afrodancer624
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Well The area was really large right at the crown. It was much larger than a quater but i wasnt visible unless i parted my hair with my hands. I have an appt. scheduled with a derm also because I think it may have been stress related but I would like to be sure. I dont have any pics at the momment but I will next week.

usimmons
06-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Has anyone tried WILD GROWTH HAIR OIL it is in a white bottle with green writing. I get it at Sally&#39;s for about 8$..I used it on the spots in my hair that was short and thin. It took about 2-3 months for my hair to grow out and thinken up. It&#39;s still thinner than the rest of my hair but it&#39;s doing a lot better. This girl at my job who lost the sides of her hair from pulled and braiding..