PDA

View Full Version : Hair Molestation At Work...

countrygem
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
I recently started working at a local hospital doing registration in the emergency room and from time to time when I go to retrieve info. from a patient the doctor is in there so I have to wait. This one doctor that I see all the time was walking behind me and touched my puff.---STOP THE WORLD AND LET ME OFF---I had never experienced this before. When I looked at him like what are you doing he said I had to touch it. I was almost excited, but weirded out at the same time.

I didn&#39;t know his name, have a number, or at least a first date. Dang! Anyone else experience this in the work place? <_<

bluvember
06-15-2005, 02:24 AM
:pointlaugh:

I wish a figga would try to touch my hair at work! But I work around all men and they do disgusting things when not in the presence of ladies. For all I know they may have been diggin in various crevices just before coming in my office. :icon_eek13:

cyndependant
06-15-2005, 02:32 AM
goodness. i think my natrual instinct would have been a judo chop... then if he was fine i&#39;da lauged it off while i aided his broken fingers...lol

sonce
06-15-2005, 04:31 AM
I&#39;dve been really annoyed with his having the audacity to invade my personal space like that. It&#39;s not really the hair touching as much as the principle of the act, the attitude behind the behavior, that really irritates me. I think a lot of people subconsciously think that a black woman is like a pet poodle to be molested whenever one feels the urge. Whenever I show my irritation with people trying to touch my hair by ducking or moving their hand away before it reaches me, they always have this look of utter surprise as if it totally didn&#39;t occur to them that there was a human attached to the hair. I don&#39;t see folks grabbing white women&#39;s hair when it&#39;s done nicely, nor do I see them fingering asian women&#39;s hair. It&#39;s always the black lady that gets her puff smushed. <_<

Q_anointed
06-15-2005, 04:43 AM
I just started working at a dealership, and when I wear my puff, this one guy pats my hair, it&#39;s a highlight of the day for him, I dont mind. He sung "I rock ruff and stuff wit my afro puffs" it was funny. (white guy)

piscesgirl_2
06-15-2005, 05:44 AM
I get freaked out being touched by folk, esp. unexpectantly. Yesterday a former co-worker said, "Is this real" and tugged at my puff. I didn&#39;t mind that b/c I know her.

So do you think the doc is cute? Are you attracted to him?

I agree with someone else though, just a person coming up touching my hair, I don&#39;t like it.

AlwaysWrite
06-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by sonce@Jun 14 2005, 09:31 PM
It&#39;s not really the hair touching as much as the principle of the act, the attitude behind the behavior, that really irritates me. I think a lot of people subconsciously think that a black woman is like a pet poodle to be molested whenever one feels the urge. Whenever I show my irritation with people trying to touch my hair by ducking or moving their hand away before it reaches me, they always have this look of utter surprise as if it totally didn&#39;t occur to them that there was a human attached to the hair. I don&#39;t see folks grabbing white women&#39;s hair when it&#39;s done nicely, nor do I see them fingering asian women&#39;s hair. It&#39;s always the black lady that gets her puff smushed. <_<

ITA. Was it a black doctor? I guess I would&#39;ve been more offended if he wasn&#39;t black. :Angry_boese008: Like "I don&#39;t bark, fetch, or piss on three legs! I am not your pet Negro!"

Khalliqa
06-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by sonce@Jun 15 2005, 12:31 AM
I&#39;dve been really annoyed with his having the audacity to invade my personal space like that. It&#39;s not really the hair touching as much as the principle of the act, the attitude behind the behavior, that really irritates me. I think a lot of people subconsciously think that a black woman is like a pet poodle to be molested whenever one feels the urge. Whenever I show my irritation with people trying to touch my hair by ducking or moving their hand away before it reaches me, they always have this look of utter surprise as if it totally didn&#39;t occur to them that there was a human attached to the hair. I don&#39;t see folks grabbing white women&#39;s hair when it&#39;s done nicely, nor do I see them fingering asian women&#39;s hair. It&#39;s always the black lady that gets her puff smushed. <_<

Peace.....

I Cosign.....

Dignity should be demanded........no matter how cute the doctor.....

Peace,
Khalliqa

Urbanite
06-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by sonce@Jun 14 2005, 11:31 PM

My thoughts exactly. It amazes me what people feel that have a right to do to people.

imani4eva
06-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Hair molestation is the word. I rember back when I was 100% natural, I used to wear biggest fro, and people white, black purple lol, used to have this urge to touch my hair. I was like whats up with you its just hair, I swear somtimes it was bordering on harrasment.

Having said that when it drew the attention of a cute guy (as you all say in the US) I was considerably less peeved.

:D

countrygem
06-16-2005, 12:59 PM
He was a white doctor, much older than I am, so no attraction was there.
Believe it or not he touched it again the very next night and said the same thing "I had to touch it". <_<

trubliss
06-17-2005, 09:00 PM
I really cant stand it when people put their hands in my hair. I mean at the very least they could ask before they just stick their hands from who knows where in my head. :doh Just take it as a compliment, thats what I usually do <_< .

Cranberry
06-17-2005, 10:08 PM
I must admit that I understand the uncontrollable urge to touch natural hair. It looks so soft and fluffy and fun. I can&#39;t keep my hands out of my own hair!! That being said: I def do not touch strangers&#39; hair even if I do "just have to" touch it. I don&#39;t understand that. I&#39;ve had friends and acquaintaces ask, and I usually let them. I just make sure they don&#39;t smash it or rough it up. Maybe you should start touching HIS hair and see what he says...

sonce
06-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Cranberry@Jun 17 2005, 06:08 PM
Maybe you should start touching HIS hair and see what he says...

that might make him happy... :unsure: :lol:

peculiar1
06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by sonce+Jun 18 2005, 04:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cranberry@Jun 17 2005, 06:08 PM
Maybe you should start touching HIS hair and see what he says...

that might make him happy... :unsure: :lol:

[/b]

Lol!! While it is rather disrespectful for him to continually invade your space like that, it seems that he is curious and amused that someone&#39;s hair could grow like that. Straight hair is blase&#39;. Everyone has straight hair, even black women with relax.ers appear to have that oh-so common, boringly straight hair...his own hair is probably straight. But, to see a headful of unadulterated coils, zigs and curls is probably too much for him to handle. Since he&#39;s making this a regular practice though, maybe you should put a tip jar on your desk that says "$10 per pat."

linette411
06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by countrygem@Jun 16 2005, 07:59 AM
He was a white doctor, much older than I am, so no attraction was there.
Believe it or not he touched it again the very next night and said the same thing "I had to touch it". <_<

now you know what....once ,ok I&#39;ll excuse you but TWICE,,, HELL NAW!!

“With all due respect Doc. Wannatouch but the first time you touched my hair I excused it but this is the second time and it’s not excusable. Please reframe from touching anything on my person, including my hair.” BIG GRIN “Have a nice day!”

I’d put dude in check in the most professional way possible!

KnappilyMe
06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
work place, super market, bus, street.......
ppl just dont get it....

I have a tshirt that says "i will break your fingers if you touch it".... seems to work well.

4real
06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
It always annoys me when strangers touch my hair. I work in retail and I often have white customers who are asking questions all of a sudden become mystified by my hair and then their hands are in my hair. :angry: I have never touched anyone&#39;s hair that i didn&#39;t know at least on purpose. THen they go off on this how do you get it to do that. do you think my hair could do that? It&#39;s so neat! Like I am supposed to be grateful that he/she noticed it. <_<

linette411
06-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by KnappilyMe@Jun 22 2005, 12:29 PM
work place, super market, bus, street.......
ppl just dont get it....

I have a tshirt that says "i will break your fingers if you touch it".... seems to work well.

OH GOSH I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*DEAD*

giggleblue
07-07-2005, 06:55 PM
usually i&#39;ve noticed that girls will ask to touch it more so than guys. the guys at my university usually just walk up and stick their hands in my fro, all the way to my scalp and massage it. sometimes, if i&#39;m not expecting it, i&#39;m like "what&#39;s going on???"

this one ca/ra came to my dorm room door to take a census and she was like, "oh, my god, can i pleeeeaaseeee touch your hair??? it&#39;s so beautiful. i was gonna cut mine.... :smil3f9cfa4a8d9af: " i just let her get a feel cause i wanted her to shut up and get away from my door. plus i think the L word was on, and i was a little bit preoccupied... (that&#39;s my favorite show...)

clover22
07-09-2005, 07:58 PM
HAIR MOLESTATION!!! Now that phrase needs to be coined for real! One of my white coworkers pulled on a braid and asked (is is real?). Another said to me (when my hair was pinned up). Wow you must have a lot of hair under there (she didn&#39;t touch it...but I know she wanted to...I&#39;m sure she was "scarit"). I let it pass but I&#39;ll be damed if I do that again. They are always so amazed when you rock puffs, twist outs, fros etc... what the f*ck...they would have a heart attack if you touched their hair and asked if it was real. Never again will I remain silent...I&#39;m about to start a new job and I&#39;m going in that joint with a fro&#39; folks need to know from jump what the dealio is.... :afro:

**I did pin up twists on the interview though..no need to to be foolhardy) :P

Nappilocs
07-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by sonce@Jun 15 2005, 04:31 AM

Exactly!
I can totally relate to this. I was at the mall last week and I had a STRANGER walk up to me from behind and yank my loc and say" I think these things are so neat, how long ........." I went OFF! :angry: :angry: :angry:
My friend had to pull me away, I left her standing there looking beet red and afraid. I am sure that she feels like she was a victim of the angryfornoreason black woman. :rolleyes:
Anyway, when someone touches you at work,document it. Ask them how they would feel if you touched them? If it continues, go to HR and say that you feel uncomfortable with people touching your body. Play the sexual harrasment card if you have to. Trust me, if there was a black man was "admiring" a white womans hair, he would have a sexual harrasment case with the quickness.

ReddyLoques
07-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Yeah.. i&#39;ve got a co-worker (a young brutha) who has molested my hair a few times.. I&#39;m sittin there mindin my own business at my desk, and if he walks by he may get knuckle deep in my hair, which scares the mess outta me. :doh

I especially hated it because I had been wearin twists for 2 weeks, then took it down for a twistout. I was scared he would come up with some funky gunk under his nails, since i&#39;d been sprayin the twists erryday and scalp-buildup is alwayz an issue..

Geezzz that would have been emberassing. :dunno:

sonce
07-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by ReddyLoques@Jul 10 2005, 01:22 AM
I was scared he would come up with some funky gunk under his nails, since i&#39;d been sprayin the twists erryday and scalp-buildup is alwayz an issue..

:pointlaugh: I know how that is when you&#39;re between washes and rocking a braid-out. It would have served him just right to end up with a reward for his temerity, but yea, it&#39;d have been embarrassing :lol:

Loopycurlz
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Until last Friday I had 8 inches of thick fluffy curly GREAT BIG hair that I let fly free. People particularily men always would touch my hair on the sly or at least say they would love to get their fingers in my hair.

I cut my hair down to 2 inches on top and sides and back cut very close but not shaved. TWO male co-workers rubbed their hands across the back of my head!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, good thing we&#39;re cool but dang! I told them they would need to buy me a drink before we start the foreplay!

TWO women also touched my hair yesterday and I don&#39;t even know them. WTF!!!!!!

MotherLand
07-16-2005, 04:38 PM
:lol: This brings me back to when in the 5th grade I had this one long braid that ran down my face and always curled up like a spring, and this one white girl always wold touch it and make it spring up. WHAT THE FROOTLOOPS! <_< And, sometimes I would be in the lunch line and then outta nowhere I would have someone start fingering my hair, Man, I spent an hour combing this Ish out and I&#39;ll be durned if I&#39;m gonna let you mess up my fro. (Of course those where the days before I got my first creamy crack.) And this would be somone I did&#39;nt even know!!

Oh...My...Gosh...Becky..Look at her puff !!!!!!!!

My reply: "Yall heffas better run!"

ReddyLoques
07-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by sonce+Jul 12 2005, 07:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ReddyLoques@Jul 10 2005, 01:22 AM
I was scared he would come up with some funky gunk under his nails, since i&#39;d been sprayin the twists erryday and scalp-buildup is alwayz an issue..

:pointlaugh: I know how that is when you&#39;re between washes and rocking a braid-out. It would have served him just right to end up with a reward for his temerity, but yea, it&#39;d have been embarrassing :lol:

[/b]

He did it again a few dayz ago.. Sank his fingers all up in my fro and then mushed me in the side of my head.. I yelled @ him and tried to smack him, but he was too quick for me.. I was too pissed sittin there with his handprint in my hair, I had to go and re-fluff it with my fingers.. :Angry_boese008:

sarobins
07-17-2005, 04:39 AM
People...strangers...anywhere are always walking by me and touching my hair. I don&#39;t know why, but since I have been natural I have come to learn and deal with it. I don&#39;t know why people would want to touch it. I have never felt the urge to run and touch a p.ermies hair, but I guess people are so impressed by us natural haired sistahs that they can&#39;t help touching something so fine.

MotherLand
08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
:lol: :huh: :lol: Like I said before: Yall heffas better run!

Floeva
08-03-2005, 01:25 PM
I&#39;ve only had my hair molested at work maybe twice, but at church!, my goodness. People just seem to play in my hair hair. They usually tell me how they love it and if they can get their hair like mine. At first it was kind of flattering but now it&#39;s become straight up annoying. Now when I see the hand coming I move very quickly out of the way and say "you have a blessed day..." It has become to point that some of the people will stand and just massage my scalp as if this behavior is okay. :dunno: I hate to be rude but sometimes you have to let people know that they are invading you personal space. But I guess when the only thing that you are use to is straight hair natural hair becomes very fascinating.

inkysphinx
08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
About a week or so ago, a guy I go to school with finally touched it. I say finally because he&#39;s always looking at me on the sly. Another guy did that too a few months ago. They just pat it, but don&#39;t have any comments. :dunno:

Both were black, BTW.

jessie
08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
People touching my hair is a peeve of mine, even when I had a chemical fire cream. I feel like I put too much effort into getting my hair to do whatever it&#39;s doing at the time and it&#39;s not your responsibility to alter it because you were curious or amazed :angry: :icon_headshake: . A simple compliment will do just fine :D ;)

I do, however, try to understand that natural hair is not typical and people are simply drawn to it. I don&#39;t get rude, but I will let you know that my hair is just that....my hair, and just like I respect your space please do the same for me. If you want to touch my hair please ask and if I say no don&#39;t take it personal, just walk away...

23psalms
08-06-2005, 04:48 PM
ITA. Was it a black doctor? I guess I would&#39;ve been more offended if he wasn&#39;t black. :Angry_boese008: Like "I don&#39;t bark, fetch, or piss on three legs! I am not your pet Negro!"

:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh:

Miss Wadadli
08-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by ReddyLoques+Jul 16 2005, 11:20 PM-->

Originally posted by sonce@Jul 12 2005, 07:13 PM

He did it again a few dayz ago.. Sank his fingers all up in my fro and then mushed me in the side of my head.. I yelled @ him and tried to smack him, but he was too quick for me.. I was too pissed sittin there with his handprint in my hair, I had to go and re-fluff it with my fingers.. :Angry_boese008:

[/b]

OK...

Now he&#39;s got ME Pissed... :Angry_boese008:

Sit the imbecile down and explain two things....

1. The next time he puts his hand in your head, you will report him to higher management and HR...Make sure you document the other times that it happened, and your response to him...it shows pattern, and if they don&#39;t address it, THEY can get in trouble.

2. The next time he puts his hand in your head, you will meet him outside with the NP mafia and BEAT HIS AZZ!!! :afro:

PEACE!! :hug:

obiggs
08-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Cranberry@Jun 17 2005, 05:08 PM
I must admit that I understand the uncontrollable urge to touch natural hair. It looks so soft and fluffy and fun. I can&#39;t keep my hands out of my own hair!! That being said: I def do not touch strangers&#39; hair even if I do "just have to" touch it. I don&#39;t understand that. I&#39;ve had friends and acquaintaces ask, and I usually let them. I just make sure they don&#39;t smash it or rough it up. Maybe you should start touching HIS hair and see what he says...

My butt looks the same way, but if you reach out and touch it without permission expect to draw back a nub.

obiggs
08-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Floeva@Aug 3 2005, 08:25 AM
I&#39;ve only had my hair molested at work maybe twice, but at church!, my goodness. People just seem to play in my hair hair. They usually tell me how they love it and if they can get their hair like mine. At first it was kind of flattering but now it&#39;s become straight up annoying. Now when I see the hand coming I move very quickly out of the way and say "you have a blessed day..." It has become to point that some of the people will stand and just massage my scalp as if this behavior is okay. :dunno: I hate to be rude but sometimes you have to let people know that they are invading you personal space. But I guess when the only thing that you are use to is straight hair natural hair becomes very fascinating.

:pointlaugh: For some reason, the visual on this has me cracking up.

sonce
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by obiggs+Aug 12 2005, 01:05 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cranberry@Jun 17 2005, 05:08 PM

My butt looks the same way, but if you reach out and touch it without permission expect to draw back a nub.

[/b]
:pointlaugh:

ReddyLoques
08-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Miss Wadadli+Aug 11 2005, 10:54 PM-->

Originally posted by ReddyLoques@Jul 16 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by sonce@Jul 12 2005, 07:13 PM

OK...

Now he&#39;s got ME Pissed... :Angry_boese008:

Sit the imbecile down and explain two things....

1. The next time he puts his hand in your head, you will report him to higher management and HR...Make sure you document the other times that it happened, and your response to him...it shows pattern, and if they don&#39;t address it, THEY can get in trouble.

2. The next time he puts his hand in your head, you will meet him outside with the NP mafia and BEAT HIS AZZ!!! :afro:

PEACE!! :hug:

[/b]

I think option number 2 would be best.. we can give him a beat down..

this is my boy and we are super-kool.. I wouldn&#39;t go to hr on the brotha.. (but the hair molestation must stop :lol: )

Tenkei
08-19-2005, 03:48 AM
I have one co-worker that just feels that since she talks to me that she can just walk up on me and touch my hair. I backed up and grabbed her arms. She knew what the deal was!

And I&#39;m going to have to start smacking down some hands at church too! I don&#39;t know what to say b/c I&#39;m pissed off by that time. I really should work on my anger. :unsure:

Queencece
08-31-2005, 11:33 PM
I have work in a predominiately YT PD and the YT people always want to touch my hair. They think its cute and will compliment me on it before a sista will. <_< I don&#39;t have problems with them touching it as long as they don&#39;t go overboard. However, I am sometimes caught off guard which is kinda bothersome, but I take it in stride. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I&#39;m cool.

Q

kinkykeeper
08-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I hate the "take any opportunity to reach out and touch my hair". Some do it too to see if it real. Theya re checking for weave tracks, they try to be slic and pat for a couple seconds like I won&#39;t notice. Ick.

caribbelle
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I went off on one of my classmates when we were in Paris last month. I had my hair in a puff and this fool decided to pet me, time stopped and I was like :blink: :angry: :angry: "DON&#39;T F****** PET ME :icon_twak: :fan: :yes:. Then i proceeded to tell the teacher to carry on with the class and she started ROLLING.

I play no games when my personal space is invaded.

Gorgeouslocs
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I love the title of this thread! And while molestation is no laughing matter everytime I read it I giggle out loud. :p

The next time I'm at work and someone decides to put their fingers in my head I'm going to shout "STOP MOLESTING MY HAIR!" :)

Luvs it! ;)

kaykiab
01-18-2010, 09:29 PM
http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.com/2009/09/feel-entitled-to-touch-black-womens.html

I have twists in my hair and white people are always coming up and stroking them! Get outta my hair dammit, I'm not a zoo exhibition!

JazzWife
01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
I guess there is nothing about me that invites touching at work. LOL. I suspect folks know that the toucher would draw back a nub. LOL. Touching is so not cool.

Instead of touching, I get all kind of (surprising) comments (which are clearly easier to deal with than the actual physical touch.) The comments have been mostly positive with the occasional, "I wish you would wear your hair straight" or "I like your hair better when it's straight" or "You look prettier with your hair when its straight." But touching?

That would drive me crazy . . .

nita4
02-02-2010, 03:06 AM
For our daughter's fifth birthday we took her to Disneyland. On the morning of her birthday, I dressed her up like cinderella with a major afro puff. She looked so cute...the Disney characters at breakfast that morning kept squeezing her afro puff.

Needless to say, it miffed me off. I didn't say anything, but I did not like it. If it were me...I would have a problem with it. Not because they touched my hair, but because it might mess up my hair :D

bhop13
02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.com/2009/09/feel-entitled-to-touch-black-womens.html

I have twists in my hair and white people are always coming up and stroking them! Get outta my hair dammit, I'm not a zoo exhibition!

Great link...not a great story! I hope I don't encounter that kind of mess.

Locks$Naps26!
03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I got some latch hook braids monday and so far my hair has been subjected to this form of behavior twice no wait three times this week. WTF!!! What blows me away is the fact that these fools think it's absolutely OKAY TO JUST WALK UP TO YOU AND START TOUCHING YOUR HAIR WITH THEIR DIRTY HANDS ESPECIALLY WITHOUT ASKING.

Nappilocs
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
LMAO @ this title. A coworker molested my hair recently who doesn't even like me. I can tell that my mere fabulousness presence annoys her so why would she want to touch my hair. I thought to myself .. I wonder how long she has been waiting to do that:-|

Impy!
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
ppl know not to touch me...im the angry midget who will snap on you in a heart beat. there is one facilities management employee who insists on attempting to touch my hair but the look i give him could kill. and he always laughs like it's funny i swear to moses and the burning bush if u put you ugly construction hands in my hair imma fk yo shyt up

whoo sahhhhhh ok im good

MissQueenie
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
People have touched my hair on the bus on that 'Oops I took my hand down off the pole and touched your hair by accident' stuff but I know every single time it is not an accident. Accident or no I like to give the person a nasty look once they've done it. No one in my work place (a predominently black and west indian church) has ever touched my hair or really even asked me about it and that is just the way I like it. My boyfriend on the other hand will not keep his hands out of my fro! One of the many reason's I went natural was so that he could touch my hair ("Don't touch my hair! It'll get greasy and then I'll have to wash it and ruin the perm!" was what I would say) but I like it when he does that when we are ALONE. When we are alone he can squish and run his hands through my hair all he wants. When we are on the bus or the train I don't want my afro mushed and uneven but he doesn't really seem to get that.

adamseve
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
People have touched my hair on the bus on that 'Oops I took my hand down off the pole and touched your hair by accident' stuff but I know every single time it is not an accident. Accident or no I like to give the person a nasty look once they've done it. No one in my work place (a predominently black and west indian church) has ever touched my hair or really even asked me about it and that is just the way I like it. My boyfriend on the other hand will not keep his hands out of my fro! One of the many reason's I went natural was so that he could touch my hair ("Don't touch my hair! It'll get greasy and then I'll have to wash it and ruin the perm!" was what I would say) but I like it when he does that when we are ALONE. When we are alone he can squish and run his hands through my hair all he wants. When we are on the bus or the train I don't want my afro mushed and uneven but he doesn't really seem to get that.

Touching my hair is just like touching my butt...I will beat your butt if I don't give you permission to touch either...Why do people think they can just reach out & touch your hair? That is bold as heck!

spragga
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I know the feeling people like to do that to me also. I have told them don't do it, if you do it I will slap you. Some woman didn't believe me and she went to do it again I raise my hand to slap her and she was so shock (lol lol). She apologise and never did it again.

GodivaJD
06-15-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't work but I am in law school and my white classmates are always amazed at how one day I can have a short afro and then the next have a mohawk or a huge afro. One girl in particular always feels like she has to touch it. The first time she did it I was confused and thinking "did she just touch my hair?" Since I'm cool with her I didn't flip but whenever I change styles drastically she always comments on how much she loves my hair and touches it. I think whites are amazed by the texture and versatility of our hair. Blacks on the other hand are no different especially when I don't wear it out for a while and then come in with a fro. But sometimes I don't like when they do it because since they are not as curious as whites they tend to tug on it and I DO NOT like that at all.

bettycakes
06-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I've had this happen to me too! There is always some white person coming up behind me "patting" my head, or trying to run their fingers over my cornrows, etc. I agree with sonce above, its like they don't get that a human is attached to the hair. And I have not learned the patience to go silently. I always give them a piece of my mind. >:(

lovelymuse
11-18-2010, 02:03 AM
I've had white women in my class touch my hair especially the roots in the back (the nappynaps LOL) she then proceeded to tell me how she liked the texture which was odd to me. On another note, before I started going natural I'd ALWAYS want to put my fingers in people's puffs (I never did out of respect until I got a close friend that had one). So I know the urge! Now I get to feel on my own hair all day!

Veviticus
11-18-2010, 02:15 AM
You good sis, because if he would have tooooucheeeedddd my hair...the doctor would have needed a doctor, a surgeon, a specialist, a chiropractor, a anesthesiologist, a craniolgist, a psychologist,......and he was already in a hospital setting?

That would have been too good to pass up;)

I AGREE WITH WHAT ANOTHER POSTER SAID...
"Touching my hair is just like touching my butt...I will beat your butt if I don't give you permission to touch either...Why do people think they can just reach out & touch your hair? That is bold as heck!"

Claire76
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I've been working as a substitute teacher. Just the other day someone at work asked to touch my hair. The answer was "no". But I wasn't alarmed.

Mainly because a) it was a student, and b) as I said, she asked. It seems to me that some adults could take a lesson from a few of our young people.

In class:

"May I touch your hair?"

I looked at her like :huh:. I was wearing a hideous updo. Or, at least I thought so. (Usually people ask about my hair when it looks good.)

And then, just before class ended:

(paraphrasing) "This is the last chance for you to let me..."

The bell rang. I doubt I'll see that girl again.:-))

wargoddess
12-02-2010, 05:39 AM
About a month ago I was in a meeting with a colleague - a black woman - who I have known (but not necessarily liked) for several years but hadn't seen in maybe 8-9 months or so.

My hair had been roller set earlier that week and I was pin curling it at night to keep the curls in. That particular morning I was using a scarf as a headband, and my hair was doing this kind of bouffant thing. I was feeling pretty cute, if I may say so.

In the presence of another black woman, this chick looks at me with a kind of puzzled expression, asks me if I'm tired, AND STARTS PATTING MY HAIR TO MASH IT DOWN!!!!!. I'm telling you, I truly experienced the presence of the Lord, because when I opened my mouth, the words that came out were "No, I'm very rested. I'm growing the relaxer out of my hair because I have redefined my standard of beauty. I celebrate the fullness of my hair." She didn't say a word.

canmechelle
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
About a month ago I was in a meeting with a colleague - a black woman - who I have known (but not necessarily liked) for several years but hadn't seen in maybe 8-9 months or so.

My hair had been roller set earlier that week and I was pin curling it at night to keep the curls in. That particular morning I was using a scarf as a headband, and my hair was doing this kind of bouffant thing. I was feeling pretty cute, if I may say so.

In the presence of another black woman, this chick looks at me with a kind of puzzled expression, asks me if I'm tired, AND STARTS PATTING MY HAIR TO MASH IT DOWN!!!!!. I'm telling you, I truly experienced the presence of the Lord, because when I opened my mouth, the words that came out were "No, I'm very rested. I'm growing the relaxer out of my hair because I have redefined my standard of beauty. I celebrate the fullness of my hair." She didn't say a word.

:huh:......:-))

Bet she shut up then huh??!!??

wargoddess
12-03-2010, 04:10 AM
:huh:......:-))

Bet she shut up then huh??!!??

Yeah....and I'll have occasion to see her again next week. Hoping to be rocking a twist-out at the time. If she extends her arm in my direction she might draw back a nub this time.

MsNadia524
12-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Years ago I had a guy put his hands in my locs in the line at Wal-Mart. Before I could react, my DH was up in dude's face. It was so cute and funny. My baby knows how I am about my hair, but I was blushing all the way home while he fussed about dude "putting his hands on his wife." LOL