PDA

View Full Version : Couscous

LotsOfLocs
09-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Anyone have any vegetable couscous recipes?

blumoonbabe
09-15-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't have any recipe suggestions but I just wanted to say yum yum! You ain't had couscous unless it'd been prepared by an Ethiopian sis or bro.... oohweee! *mouth waterng*

honeychild
09-15-2003, 09:24 PM
i have a girlfriend who makes mango pineapple couscous that is the BOMB. she makes it with half water and half applejuice, prepared in the regular way (boil both, add couscous, cover, let sit for 5 minutes), but into the water as it's getting hot she adds diced mango and crushed pineapple.

mm mm good.

winnie
09-16-2003, 01:29 AM
My friend from Morroco taught me this recipe. I like it. Since you are a vegan substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

1 small onion, minced
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 clove
1/2 cup of golden raisins
1 small carrot, finely minced
chicken broth (use the same amount specified on the couscous package for liquid)
olive oil
Whole wheat couscous

Saute onion, garlic and carrot in a little olive oil until soft. Stir in raisins, clove and chicken broth. Add couscous and remove from heat. Depending on what type of broth you used (commerical vs homemade) you may or may not need to add a little salt, depending on your palate.

This goes well with a highly spiced main dish b/c it's flavors are delicate and don't compete.

strawwberryz
09-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Yeah....couscous! I miss home :)

lilkinkyc
09-16-2003, 03:23 AM
I like couscous and now I can make it another way instead of just the old plain way. With your version of how you make it are you buying the plain or flavored couscous?

celine
09-16-2003, 10:04 AM
I love to cook couscous; my aunt who is algerian learned me how to do it. Let me the time to translate the recipe in english and I post it in the day!

Celine :)

celine
09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by celine@Sep 16 2003, 11:04 AM
I love to cook couscous; my aunt who is algerian learned me how to do it. Let me the time to translate the recipe in english and I post it in the day!

Here it is: royal couscous from Oran (north Algeria)
For 5 persons
1 onion
some garlic
4 courgettes/ zucchinis
4 carrots
1 or 2 leeks
1 or 2 turnips

Meat: lamb collar or shoulder (hope these are the good terms); cuts of chicken and 10 "merguez" (mutton sausages).

salt & pepper
spices: 1 chiken broth, "ras el hanout" (special spices blend for couscous), 1 branch of coriander.

Brown in a pressure cooker the lamb cuts with the onion and 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (cut); salt and pepper. Then add the carrots and the courgettes, cover with water and close the cooker to let cook; when it begins to whistle, stop the cooking, open the cooker and add the leeks and the turnips, ; keep the lamb apart and continue the cooking closing the pressure cooker.
When it whistle, ajust the seasoning with salt, pepper, the chiken broth and the "ras el hanout". Add also the lamb and the coriander; let cook again on a low light, without closing the cooker.

Cook the chiken and the merguez separately, baking or browning them.

To serve: serve the meats together, the vegetables together, and serve apart the broth.

For the couscous:
there is semolina to cook quickly.
But traditionnally, women rince it (not much water; just enough to wet the couscous) and put a trickle of oil on it; then, they palm roll the couscous, to separate the grains and avoid making lumps.
Steam it in a "couscoussier"; when it's steamed, add bits of butter and palmroll again. Now you can eat!
Enjoy your meal!

Celine :eatpop:

blumoonbabe
09-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by celine+Sep 17 2003, 09:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (celine @ Sep 17 2003, 09:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-celine@Sep 16 2003, 11:04 AM

Here it is: royal couscous from Oran (north Algeria)
For 5 persons
1 onion
some garlic
4 courgettes/ zucchinis
4 carrots
1 or 2 leeks
1 or 2 turnips

Meat: lamb collar or shoulder (hope these are the good terms); cuts of chicken and 10 "merguez" (mutton sausages).

salt & pepper
spices: 1 chiken broth, "ras el hanout" (special spices blend for couscous), 1 branch of coriander.

Brown in a pressure cooker the lamb cuts with the onion and 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (cut); salt and pepper. Then add the carrots and the courgettes, cover with water and close the cooker to let cook; when it begins to whistle, stop the cooking, open the cooker and add the leeks and the turnips, ; keep the lamb apart and continue the cooking closing the pressure cooker.
When it whistle, ajust the seasoning with salt, pepper, the chiken broth and the "ras el hanout". Add also the lamb and the coriander; let cook again on a low light, without closing the cooker.

Cook the chiken and the merguez separately, baking or browning them.

To serve: serve the meats together, the vegetables together, and serve apart the broth.

For the couscous:
there is semolina to cook quickly.
But traditionnally, women rince it (not much water; just enough to wet the couscous) and put a trickle of oil on it; then, they palm roll the couscous, to separate the grains and avoid making lumps.
Steam it in a "couscoussier"; when it&#39;s steamed, add bits of butter and palmroll again. Now you can eat!
Enjoy your meal!

Celine :eatpop: [/b][/quote]
*drooling*

sweetsoca
09-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@Sep 15 2003, 05:24 PM
i have a girlfriend who makes mango pineapple couscous that is the BOMB. she makes it with half water and half applejuice, prepared in the regular way (boil both, add couscous, cover, let sit for 5 minutes), but into the water as it&#39;s getting hot she adds diced mango and crushed pineapple.

mm mm good.
@ Honey - I love to cook couscous. I will definitely try the mango & applejuice mixture. Sounds yummy. :thumbsup:

blumoonbabe
11-02-2003, 11:28 PM
*Bump* My mom just gave me a grip of couscous, and I wanted this this topic to remain visible... to get recipes to use it all! :rainfro

chocol8diva714
11-03-2003, 05:49 AM
Mmmm....those recipes sound GREAT!!

Here&#39;s another vegan recipe I found...sounds yummy I love red wine vinegar!!

Couscous salad

4 cups prepared couscous
2 cups cooked lentils
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
2 TBSP. dried tarragon
1 TBSP. cracked black pepper
2 TBSP. red wine vinegar
6 lettuce leaves

**Not to hijack, but blumoonbabe are you from the South &#39;cause I don&#39;t know many people that say a "grip", but i&#39;m from NC and I sho&#39; do, LOL

Smooches and blessings
~Chocol8

blumoonbabe
11-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by chocol8diva714@Nov 3 2003, 01:49 AM
**Not to hijack, but blumoonbabe are you from the South &#39;cause I don&#39;t know many people that say a "grip", but i&#39;m from NC and I sho&#39; do, LOL

:lol nope, but I live here now... :lol

CocoaButterflyy
11-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Curried Couscous

the white part of 3 scallions, chopped fine, plus 1 tablespoon minced scallion green
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/2 cup couscous

In a heavy saucpan cook the white part of scallion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, for 1 minute, add the curry powder, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth, bring it to a boil, and stir in the couscous. Remove the pan from the heat, let the couscous stand, covered, for 5 minutes, and stir in the scallion green and salt and pepper to taste