PDA

View Full Version : Is There Life After The burning the hair straight Comb?

lscarlett
06-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm natural (since 2001) but my hair is damaged from heat styling. My hair has retained it's texture (thank God), but it's so weak that I can barely touch a strand without it snapping--absolutely no elasticity. The damamge covers about two-thirds of the length. The roots are strong. I assume I would have to do the chop again to rid myself completely of the damaged hair. Has anyone out there gone thru this? Will my damaged hair ever regain its strength and elasticity? I've already ditched the flaming hot tool of hair torture and curling irons. Is there any hope?

One more thing: My hair is very coily. The coils extremely unmanagable and I have a heck of time keeping my hair from locking. The only solution I've found is washing & detangling everyday and then applying the blow dryer, which makes my hair look brittle and dry. Any other suggestions on how to manage the coils and keep them from locking?

frau
06-25-2005, 12:27 PM
well, i have even nappier hair than you. i know this because i can't blow dry my hair, it would take f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

just like you i have to wash it everyday to unmatt it. i wear my hair in a big puff with a head band, prior to that i wore a shake and go. once my hair dries there is no going back to comb it or braid it at night. i just have to sleep on it and release it with water and conditioning shampoo in the shower.

today i'm going to twist my hair. consider braiding your hair up or twisting it if you don't want to have to wash it everyday just to style it.

Chyni Bumps
06-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Morning Ladies. I found this site after talking with a few Mocha Mom. :D I love what I am seeing. Ok my story goes......... I have been chemical -free since Oct 2001. :afro: I did the blow it our and slick it back in a bun thing for a fw months after that then in June 2002 I braided it. Afterthat I said let me just do chyni bumps and see how that turned out. That went on and off for like a year braids/bumps/twists. Now I have been just twisting it up into the CBs and thenl etting it air dry and undoing it. I have been gettin a lot of compliments on it lately! So I might just keep it this way. Thanks for listening to my story! :pop:

Glenivia

kiwi
06-25-2005, 03:28 PM
You can also try banding. Try looking it up with the search feature. I haven't tried it cuz I'm still transitioning, but I've seen pics of it in other members' albums and it seems to work well :)

Chyni Bumps
06-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by kiwi@Jun 25 2005, 09:28 AM
You can also try banding. Try looking it up with the search feature. I haven't tried it cuz I'm still transitioning, but I've seen pics of it in other members' albums and it seems to work well :)

Kiwi thanks sooo much!
you were the first one that I heard from. I am still getting used tothis site there is soo much here!

I will have to look around for banding! I am up for the challenge! :)

tdrmaquillage
06-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey Lscarlett

I second what Frau said. I would keep your hair in twists. You won&#39;t be manipulating as often, you can trim off the damaged hair as the new hair grows in, and to me anyway twists generally look most beautiful with your hair texture. And they last longer with your hair texture, too. (whereas mine look like crap and fall out two days after I put them in <_< )

Best of luck!
- Tania :afro:

macsrcool
06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
I burnt for years. I have never had a perm. I had shoulder length hair, then I started what I guess you call transioning. I would cut off no more than an inch every 3 months or so for about 2 years. My roots weren&#39;t damaged; when I say damaged I mean texture difference. Now I have 9-12inches of nappy hair. I know it has all grown out because I dyed my hair 4 months into the transition. Now there is only about 1 inch of color on the ends of some of my hair. So I know all that hair was eventually cut off.