PDA

View Full Version : KELIS

naPkinKoLa
10-28-2003, 11:38 PM
Have you guys heard "MILKSHAKE", yet? I'm soooo addicted to that song! Does anyone know when her album is coming out? My favorite Kelis song, though, is "Get Along With You"- anybody remember that? That video was amazing!

carrolina
10-28-2003, 11:57 PM
i LOOOOVE "milkshake". and yeah, "get along with you" was my song too lol. i got this magazine called um...dang, i forgot lol...but it had outkast on one side and her on the other. in her article it said it's comin out on dec. 9th. so i think ill get it. peace =)

naPkinKoLa
10-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by carrolina@Oct 28 2003, 11:57 PM
in her article it said it's comin out on dec. 9th.
Awwww, man! That's a long time, but hopefully we'll get to see the video sometime next month :thumbsup

blumoonbabe
10-29-2003, 05:06 AM
My milkshake sends all the boys to tha yard... thats right, it's betta than yours, damn right, it's betta than yours...
*milkshakin' across the room*

I'd teach you, but I'd hafta charge... :-cre

ETAI know i messed up the words a little, but I was feelin' myself.... lol

carrolina
10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Oct 28 2003, 09:06 PM
My milkshake sends all the boys to tha yard... thats right, it's betta than yours, damn right, it's betta than yours...
*milkshakin' across the room*

I'd teach you, but I'd hafta charge... :-cre
lol @ bluemoonbabe

tangytic
10-29-2003, 07:22 PM
that song makes me laugh everytime I hear it.

honeychild
10-30-2003, 11:27 AM
so THAT's whose song that is? aren't they playing it on one of those 'remebmer the 80s' shows? threw me ALL off b/c i KNOW either me or the old-school-dj hubster definitely woulda known it if it was out back in the day. that song CRACKS ME UP!!

a mag w/her on one side and outkast on the other is probably the fader. they're the only mag i know about that does double covers, and they're a music mag. i'll take 'the fader' for $500, john. :)

i just went to her site to try and listento that song and it's not up there yet. but how come "spot" is the BOMB?????? is that on wanderland??

blkrighteousspace1
10-30-2003, 11:43 AM
i think there will be 2 videos for that song...i got a chance to see part of it.....the song tickles me, however the one video i saw....i had a little problem with the little girls in her video gyrating....but then again, i have problems with children poppin' and twerkin'

shortydowop
10-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by naPkinKoLa@Oct 28 2003, 11:38 PM
Have you guys heard "MILKSHAKE", yet? I'm soooo addicted to that song! Does anyone know when her album is coming out? My favorite Kelis song, though, is "Get Along With You"- anybody remember that? That video was amazing!
Ok, I'm a little late with this! I posted about it in another section. I heard the Milkshake song the other day and was pretty sure it was her, but didn't find out until today that it was.

I really like Kelis! She has a distinctive voice and sound. She works really well with the Neptunes.

I know you can hear 2 cuts off her album here:
http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c2gb7816-8657,00.html

ETA:
"Get Along With You"-that was a favorite of mine, too! The video, to me, was soooo TIGHT just because it was different. Do u remember that video? It was very artistic.

Dreamyb
10-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Oct 30 2003, 06:27 AM
how come "spot" is the BOMB?????? is that on wanderland??
yeah, it's on that wanderland album (when is that thing droppin' already?).

hey you get off my cloud or is it (get off that crap? lol)
you don't know me and you don't my style
la lala la la la a al al
i just came to dance and get wild
drink with my girls and party for a while
la la la lal lala la

i think that's it :doh

Makeda
10-31-2003, 03:57 AM
that song is hotness.....my fav part: "I'd teach but i'd have to charge" :yaisse2 :yaisse3

Cococure
10-31-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Dreamyb+Oct 30 2003, 06:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dreamyb @ Oct 30 2003, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-honeychild@Oct 30 2003, 06:27 AM
how come "spot" is the BOMB?????? is that on wanderland??
yeah, it&#39;s on that wanderland album (when is that thing droppin&#39; already?).[/b][/quote]
As far as I know Wanderland dropped in Europe in October 2001 but never made it to North America. So if you really want it you&#39;re gonna have to catch it on the import. All I have at the moment is the &#39;Young, Fresh, and New&#39; MP3 on my computer. Imports are usually too pricey for me, but I do plan to pick it up eventually.

I heard somewhere that she was going to re-release a revamped version of Wanderland here soon. But I don&#39;t know. Wanderland also has the original recording of &#39;Popular Thug&#39; featuring Pusha T rather than Nas as it does on the Neptunes Present: Clones album. However &#39;Milkshake&#39; will be on her next album entitled &#39;Tasty&#39; which is dropping on December 9th.

How do I know? Mostly because MTV told me so. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1479616/10072003/kelis.jhtml)

Sweet Epiphany
11-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by carrolina@Oct 28 2003, 11:57 PM
i got this magazine called um...dang, i forgot lol...but it had outkast on one side and her on the other. in her article it said it&#39;s comin out on dec. 9th. so i think ill get it. peace =)
was it COMPLEX magazine?

KinkyCoils
11-04-2003, 08:42 PM
I just heard the song/saw the video for "Milkshake" and I really like it. I can&#39;t wait to hear the rest of her album.

LotsOfLocs
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
I liked her first album. I dont like milkshake.

CallaV
11-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Oct 29 2003, 12:06 AM
My milkshake sends all the boys to tha yard... thats right, it&#39;s betta than yours, damn right, it&#39;s betta than yours...
*milkshakin&#39; across the room*

I&#39;d teach you, but I&#39;d hafta charge... :-cre

ETAI know i messed up the words a little, but I was feelin&#39; myself.... lol
Sing the jacked up words right along with blu

KinkyCoils
11-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Nov 4 2003, 03:52 PM
I liked her first album as well, but there is just something about this milkshake song that I like.

blumoonbabe
11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
As much as I like this song...I just saw the video and I *channeling Antoine Merriweather* HATED IT! :nohuh

CallaV
11-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Nov 5 2003, 07:56 AM
As much as I like this song...I just saw the video and I *channeling Antoine Merriweather* HATED IT! :nohuh
Yeah that video was not to my liking. :nohuh

Oya
11-05-2003, 06:00 PM
ok i&#39;ve always been a fan of Kelis...... and you know what for the longest time i was like who is Beyonce trying to look like. I saw her (beyonce) on "the view" with this curly looking fro and i said to myself... dang she reminds me of someone. And now i see the "Milkshake" video... And bingo we have a Kelis look-a-like.

Now the "Milkshake" video was ok. And wouldnt you know it, it was directed by the same guy who directed Beyonce&#39;s "Crazy in Love" and "Baby Boy" videos.... Jake Nava

So we have Beyonce/Jay-z v. Kelis/Nas. I&#39;m just glad Kelis and Nas are out in the open and not shy about talking about their relationship. She was rockin&#39; a huge engagement ring on 106 and Park.... Talking bout &#39;well my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. he&#39;s my boy...so i brought to the yard...and put him in my video. yea i have a ring on my finger from my man...nas is my man....we&#39;re engaged...we have..plans&#39;... Just open about her relationship. I guess maybe becus they&#39;re not all over the papers and in the spotlight like Beyonce and Jay-z. So they dont feel any pressure in having to downplay their relationship.

true2self
11-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Kelis is my girl!!

I loved the 1st CD "Kaleidoscope" and I got the 2nd one "Wanderland" (which I really like) through amazon.co.uk off the internet it was about $17 bucks with shipping. I even got her to sign Wanderland when I went to a N.E.R.D. concert and of course she was there..she was surprised I had it. Anyway, I like Milkshake (it&#39;s really stuck in my head) and I&#39;ll defnitely be getting Tasty.

Peace

Sillylemon
11-05-2003, 10:04 PM
yeah.. milkshake is different. sort of like a chant and it sticks in your head!

hmmm.... what is her milkshake? LOL :-)

Cococure
11-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by CallaV+Nov 5 2003, 11:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CallaV @ Nov 5 2003, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blumoonbabe@Nov 5 2003, 07:56 AM
Yeah that video was not to my liking. :nohuh [/b][/quote]
Yup I agree with that.

I think the video would have been better if it was directed by Hype Williams. At least then there may have been some dance moves to do the song justice.

tangytic
11-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sillylemon@Nov 5 2003, 10:04 PM
yeah.. milkshake is different. sort of like a chant and it sticks in your head!

hmmm.... what is her milkshake? LOL :-)
Yea like "I hate you so much right now urghhhhhhhhhhhh" I think she likes this stuff.

*SupaSista*
11-07-2003, 02:20 AM
I GOT WANDERLAND...
I LOVE KELIS...
AND I WILL BE PURCHASING TASTY ON DECEMBER THE 9TH...
I WILL THEN HAVE ALL 3 OF HER ALBUMS...
SHE DOESN&#39;T HAVE THE BEST VOICE, BUT I LIKE HER STYLE

peace!
naturalme22

Sapphyyr
11-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Nov 4 2003, 03:52 PM
I must admit, I heard Milkshake on the radio the other day as wasn&#39;t impressed. I haven&#39;t heard he Wanderland album. But Kaliedescope was the ultimate! She actually sang on that one. This album is what really hipped me to Kelis, then she went down to "hooka status" (singin&#39; hooks). But I guess those are the breaks. But the sista&#39;s been at it a while. "Suspended" was my song!

truepeace
11-11-2003, 04:43 AM
I love this song! I need alittle bit more milk in my shake though. Definately a hot song.

rkj223
11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
I think the song is corny and the beat sounds like a Britney reject.

BUT...it has done something that Kelis has seemed to never make happen before. Created buzz about her.

dedicated
11-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Nov 5 2003, 07:56 AM
:lol :lol :lol Blu, I was feeling the same way about her video! I&#39;m not feeling this new sex pot image! I was feeling her rock star image when she came out with "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW" (ARRRRRHHHH!!!!) She looks like she&#39;s trying to hard to be sexy, imo.

rkj223
11-16-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by dedicated+Nov 13 2003, 01:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dedicated @ Nov 13 2003, 01:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blumoonbabe@Nov 5 2003, 07:56 AM
:lol :lol :lol Blu, I was feeling the same way about her video! I&#39;m not feeling this new sex pot image! I was feeling her rock star image when she came out with "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW" (ARRRRRHHHH!!!!) She looks like she&#39;s trying to hard to be sexy, imo. [/b][/quote]
She looks like she&#39;s trying to sell this go&#39;round.

Black rock girls don&#39;t sell.

ReddyLoques
11-16-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by rkj223@Nov 11 2003, 01:35 PM
I think the song is corny and the beat sounds like a Britney reject.

BUT...it has done something that Kelis has seemed to never make happen before. Created buzz about her.
now thats true, she&#39;s finally getting a lil buzz..

people who didn&#39;t know who she wuz before, and didn&#39;t wanna know who she wuz either, are all now suddenly singing the milkshake song

I&#39;m like :doh when folks say I like Milkshake, its by this "new" chick Kelis..

nastarual
11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
i like kelis. this song is just running in my head all day. i love it. i&#39;m definitely going to have to see what &#39;tasty&#39; is going to be like when it comes out. kelis is always good to listen too because she&#39;s different.

dreamy1
11-17-2003, 12:11 AM
yeah, i&#39;m feeling the "milkshake" song too, even though i&#39;m not sure what the milkshake is.

Patrina
11-17-2003, 08:50 PM
I like her style, its different. But did you notice her pants in the Milkshake video? I swear she had a mini cameltoe going on. It looked like her cooch was going to die from sheer suffocation!! I didn&#39;t know Kelis and Nas were an item. . . I was wondering why he was in the video.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. . I need one Mic, one Mic, one Mic. . . I hate you so much right now. . .Oochi Wally Wally Oochi Bang Bang. . . . kinda makes you wonder what their household will be like?

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

jenteel
11-18-2003, 07:48 PM
i really liked her 1st album
but i think she will go in a new direction
we&#39;ll see

oh kinky coils
i love me some larenz 2
damn!!!
he&#39;s the only short dude i would give some play!!!

Evolution19
11-24-2003, 06:16 AM
:rainfro OOH MILSHAKE IS MY JAM!! me and my friend adriann here at school are contstantly singing it. We&#39;ll just be sitting there and than we&#39;ll look at each other and be like:

MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD, AND THEY&#39;RE LIKE ITS BETTER THAN YOURS, DAMN RIGHT ITS BETTER THAN YOURS, I COULD TEACH YOU, BUT I HAVE TO CHARGE

I love it!! :app

plus her and her fiance Nas look damn cute together at the end

ava1
11-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rkj223+Nov 16 2003, 01:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rkj223 @ Nov 16 2003, 01:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by dedicated@Nov 13 2003, 01:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-blumoonbabe@Nov 5 2003, 07:56 AM
As much as I like this song...I just saw the video and I *channeling Antoine Merriweather*Â HATED IT! :nohuh
:lol :lol :lol Blu, I was feeling the same way about her video! I&#39;m not feeling this new sex pot image! I was feeling her rock star image when she came out with "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW" (ARRRRRHHHH!!!!) She looks like she&#39;s trying to hard to be sexy, imo.
She looks like she&#39;s trying to sell this go&#39;round.

Black rock girls don&#39;t sell. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, looks like she sold out for this album....

TooXquisite
11-29-2003, 07:14 PM
I like the song. My hubby says that he&#39;s glad its Kelis singin&#39; and not that chile from "My Neck, My Back" lookin&#39; a hot mess.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
11-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey Y&#39;all...I&#39;M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS THREAD!!! I LOVE KELIS!!!

I love milkshake, according to her quote on ultimatekelis.com, it&#39;s about personality, and what makes you unique.

Anyway, I don&#39;t think she&#39;s selling out. I have Wanderland, and I actually got it from a STORE here in the US!! Yeah, that&#39;s why I love Athens, GA cuz it&#39;s such a music town, and this one store had the demo months before it actually came out and he sold it to me for like 5 bucks. I was super excited. :offtopic

But Wanderland seems coherent with Milkshake. She had some sexy songs like Milkshake on Wanderland too, and she has some rock songs so to me she doesn&#39;t seem any different at all.

But y&#39;all should check out ultimatekelis.com, it has a lot of her songs and stuff up there.

Peace,

Afrika

CurleeDST
11-30-2003, 12:42 AM
They play that song out in NYC. It is very light music and comical w/ a catchy beat. What she is singing about? I have no clue. Sort of like "Oh Micky you so fine, you so fine you blow my mind hey Micky". Fun song, made no sense, one hit wonder.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
11-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Nov 29 2003, 07:42 PM
They play that song out in NYC. It is very light music and comical w/ a catchy beat. What she is singing about? I have no clue. Sort of like "Oh Micky you so fine, you so fine you blow my mind hey Micky". Fun song, made no sense, one hit wonder.

Fun song, made no sense, one hit wonder.

"Milkshake" refers to whatever makes you unique, like your personality. Kelis isn&#39;t a one hit wonder, she&#39;s been around for years, and Milkshake will be on on her 3rd album.

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Just wanted to be THE FIRST to post that I&#39;m LOVING Kelis&#39; "Tasty" CD. :-)

Ohmigoodness, this album is SOOO eclectic. Got me about to pick up the Wanderland CD on the UK amazon. :rainfro

Her collabo with her hubby-to-be is freaky deaky, but reminds me of the 80s (the little bit of it that I remember) . . . almost like a Prince joint in the freakiness factor. :thumbsup

"Attention" is thumping and describes me to a "T" when it comes to relationships . . . her collabo with Andre3000, "Millionaire" is tight, and I&#39;m loving the message in "Rolling Through the Hood," talking about, "Instead of scoring high in college, we&#39;re scoring high in garbage. And most of all, forgeting who God is." Beautiful. :)

Well, I&#39;ll stop gushing. Just wanted to be the first to give Kelis a round of :app on this board. :cow:

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 01:49 AM
I scooped up Tasty today too!!! I was so excited, I nearly ran into the store and I jumped somebody in line at Best Buy! :lol I&#39;m glad she put "Flashback" on there, it was on Wanderland too and I just love that song.

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 01:54 AM
You have a copy of "Wanderland???" :-cre

Spill, spill . . . I&#39;m about to go to the UK amazon and pick it up, but is it like "Tasty" or what ? ? ? :-?

LMAO @ cutting people . . . I was so pumped about getting the album that I almost got an attitude with the poor new kid at the record store who rang me up. He took so dawg gone long I nearly reached across the register and grabbed him by his neck. :-) :lol

NappyPrncess
12-10-2003, 02:00 AM
I think "Milkshake" is the most irritating and dumbest song I&#39;ve heard thus far, and if all the songs on her album are anything like that stupid song, then I don&#39;t want it. Whoever said the beat to that song sounded like a Britney reject, was right on point!

*SupaSista*
12-10-2003, 03:40 AM
i can&#39;t afford to buy the cd till like next week...or the next week...dammit i hate being responsible... so ladies...HOW IS IT... IS TASTY AS GOOD AS THE LAST 2 CD&#39;S... i LOVE WANDERLAND.... my favorite song is...DADDY...
AND MY FAVORITE LINE IS...
"my mom says no, my dad refused...yesterday, he bought me some shoes...DOLCE & GABBANA - AND A BAG MADE OF IGUANA...AND A BLAZER, AND A CHOCOLATE TIE...GET IT BLAZE CHOCOLATE-TIE" HAHAAAAAAAAA...{fyi..i have never puffed on the funky gunja, but hey i know what she was speaking of!}

KELIS ROCKS TO THE MAX!!! she is the total antithesis of COOKIE CUTTER-ISM!

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by BamaFro@Dec 9 2003, 08:54 PM
You have a copy of "Wanderland???" :-cre

Spill, spill . . . I&#39;m about to go to the UK amazon and pick it up, but is it like "Tasty" or what ? ? ? :-?

LMAO @ cutting people . . . I was so pumped about getting the album that I almost got an attitude with the poor new kid at the record store who rang me up. He took so dawg gone long I nearly reached across the register and grabbed me by his neck. :-) :lol
Yeah I got it when it came out in 2001. Luckily, I asked a guy at an independent music store if he could order it for me, AND HE HAD IT THERE IN THE STORE!!!!! AND HE SOLD IT TO ME FOR CHEAP CUZ IT WAS A DEMO!!!!! Once again, I acted a fool.

It&#39;s similar to Tasty, in some ways Wanderland is more funky, but I loooovveee Wanderland. It has more of a Neptunes influence than Tasty. If you like Flashback, then you&#39;ll like Wanderland. You should get it!!!!

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by naturalme22@Dec 9 2003, 10:40 PM
i can&#39;t afford to buy the cd till like next week...or the next week...dammit i hate being responsible... so ladies...HOW IS IT... IS TASTY AS GOOD AS THE LAST 2 CD&#39;S... i LOVE WANDERLAND.... my favorite song is...DADDY...
AND MY FAVORITE LINE IS...
"my mom says no, my dad refused...yesterday, he bought me some shoes...DOLCE & GABBANA - AND A BAG MADE OF IGUANA...AND A BLAZER, AND A CHOCOLATE TIE...GET IT BLAZE CHOCOLATE-TIE" HAHAAAAAAAAA...{fyi..i have never puffed on the funky gunja, but hey i know what she was speaking of!}

KELIS ROCKS TO THE MAX!!! she is the total antithesis of COOKIE CUTTER-ISM!
My favorite track is Daddy too!!! I still walk around singing that. That line is so funny. I like Tasty a lot, I haven&#39;t let it sink it yet, but so far I love it! (Wait, did I just contradict myself?) But, Tasty isn&#39;t as Neptune influenced as the other two, which is refreshing. In other words, BUY IT!!!

*SupaSista*
12-10-2003, 03:51 AM
and... i like this verse on Flashback....

"oh **** there u go again...speaking can&#39;t be a sin..so i fingered u over, ceasar & tattooed shouder...girls know your name badly, but 2 me-you&#39;re my daddy...tho&#39; u only shook my hand, coulda sworn you held me...u make me come......alive"

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by naturalme22@Dec 9 2003, 10:51 PM
u make me come......alive"
Funny...funny....funny! :-)

"You make me come.....oh yeah...alive" lol

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 04:01 AM
LMAO . . . y&#39;all are TOO much. That does it, as soon as I get home, I&#39;m ordering my new supply of Carol&#39;s Daughter and the "Wanderland" CD. :-) I love the Neptunes influence but I was :app like crazy when I saw Kelis&#39; name as the Executive Producer for "Tasty."

It definitely shows a lot of sides to her that you probably wouldn&#39;t see if The Neptunes were producing every last track.

ashrob123
12-10-2003, 04:03 AM
The song is kinda catchy, but its really light weight. And the video is so sexually explicit that I almost gage when I see the milkshakes explode. Did any else notice the many "ejaculation" scences in the video?

Yuck.

This new sexy image will probably be the death of her career. It will help for a little while but it won&#39;t last.

Ask Adina Howard.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by ashrob123@Dec 9 2003, 11:03 PM

This new sexy image will probably be the death of her career. It will help for a little while but it won&#39;t last.

I&#39;ll have to disagree because I&#39;ve always seen Kelis as having a sexy image. It wasn&#39;t really prevalent on her first CD Kaleidosope, but it was on Wanderland, and some songs she did with N.E.R.D. like "Truth or Dare" (whew). Her promos in the UK have been pretty sexy, so I think she&#39;s just carrying it with her in US. I&#39;m just so glad she&#39;s getting love y&#39;all...

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 04:11 AM
Hmmm . . . Beyonce turned up the "sexiness" meter on her solo release, but I can understand where you&#39;re coming from. In all fairness, the whole album isn&#39;t devoted to sexually explicit songs, it has a nice mix of different thoughts and ideas going on in her life (or things she wants to express).

I don&#39;t know if it&#39;ll be the death of her career. She has a rather large over seas following at the very least . . . and a pretty decent American fan base.

But yeah, I saw all of the references to sexual things with the cherries and circular "buns" coming out of the oven. :-P

ETA: ITA AfrikaIzin_My_Hair . . . I&#39;m glad she&#39;s finally beginning to get some props. And my favorite part of all is that she wears her natural hair ! ! ! (Outside of the press she was wearing on her apperance on 106&Park today.) Unlike some of these other "mega stars" who can&#39;t step outside of their dressing room without 10 pounds of make up and a lady godiva weave, Kelis definitely seems more real and down to earth to me ... it takes a lot of guts to sport "big hair" and flaunt it in a video or wherever else.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by BamaFro@Dec 9 2003, 11:01 PM
I love the Neptunes influence but I was :app like crazy when I saw Kelis&#39; name as the Executive Producer for "Tasty."

It definitely shows a lot of sides to her that you probably wouldn&#39;t see if The Neptunes were producing every last track.[/font]
Meeeeee tooooo!!! I thought "Yeah! She&#39;s getting paid!" :dance: I&#39;m so proud :blah

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 04:13 AM
It is funny that the explicit sticker on her CD says "sexual content". I&#39;ve never seen that before in my life. What do you think of the intro??? :lol

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 04:19 AM
Definitely, definitely. It takes guts to be on the business and creative side of your craft.

I know, I was staring at that sticker like, what the :-P . . . but then again, I wouldn&#39;t want my little cousins listening to this . . . until they&#39;re at least high school age.

The intro had me laughing. I was like; what is this child doing??? :pop LMAO

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by BamaFro@Dec 9 2003, 11:19 PM

The intro had me laughing. I was like; what is this child doing??? :pop LMAO [/font]
Hahaha....me too. I was thinking, "Am I hearing what I think I am"?

But I&#39;m mad at myself for blowing up this thread :rolleyes I&#39;m way too excited about this.

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Girl, I know. I had to blow this thread up because, just in case Kelis happens by this site, she needs to know that there are fellow nappturals out there who respect, and dare say, enjoy the music she puts out there.

Stepping out on the scene with a different sound AND Big Ol&#39; Hair ? ? ? She gets kudos from me for THAT alone ! ! ! :cow:

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 04:31 AM
I feel you. I hated seeing her hair straightened, it&#39;s soooo pretty natural! She&#39;s so unique, I love it!

Oh yeah...if you go to www.ultimatekelis.com, you can hear tracks on Tasty and Wanderland!

*SupaSista*
12-10-2003, 06:09 AM
WOW....................

THANX...I AM GOIN&#39; TO CHECK IT OUT NOW....

AND U KNOW WHAT OTHER SONG I REALLY LIKE...&#39;scared money&#39;
"i know you&#39;re afraid to come with me, but tonite...i&#39;m gonna present you with pleasure...see scared money don&#39;t make none, so roll with me & i will be your treasure...."

ashrob123
12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by AfrikaIzin_My_Hair+Dec 9 2003, 11:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AfrikaIzin_My_Hair @ Dec 9 2003, 11:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ashrob123@Dec 9 2003, 11:03 PM

I&#39;ll have to disagree because I&#39;ve always seen Kelis as having a sexy image. It wasn&#39;t really prevalent on her first CD Kaleidosope, but it was on Wanderland, and some songs she did with N.E.R.D. like "Truth or Dare" (whew). Her promos in the UK have been pretty sexy, so I think she&#39;s just carrying it with her in US. I&#39;m just so glad she&#39;s getting love y&#39;all... [/b][/quote]
I disagree. Mainly because I read (or saw I can&#39;t remember) that she was asked to shed a few pounds and pump up the breasts in order to portray a sexier image. I&#39;m not saying that she isn&#39;t sexy, I&#39;m saying that there is a conscious effort to make he a sex symbol that didn&#39;t exist earlier. She had more of a rock image before now she has a vixen image. Maybe in the UK that was her projected image but I wasn&#39;t saying this when she was singin I hate you so much.

Actually I&#39;m being nice when I say sexy, I should really say trashy. I&#39;ll probably see the video again today but I&#39;m sure there is a simulation of a cum shot.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by naturalme22@Dec 10 2003, 01:09 AM
WOW....................

THANX...I AM GOIN&#39; TO CHECK IT OUT NOW....

AND U KNOW WHAT OTHER SONG I REALLY LIKE...&#39;scared money&#39;
"i know you&#39;re afraid to come with me, but tonite...i&#39;m gonna present you with pleasure...see scared money don&#39;t make none, so roll with me & i will be your treasure...."
Hahaha, why don&#39;t we just admit we like the whole CD? I also like "Shooting Star"

"See you&#39;re something, special, you&#39;re blessed too, and you guide me. You protect me, from this cold world, when you hold me, and don&#39;t let go of me. Your wings are wide, they&#39;re very wide, that&#39;s why you fly...yeah...baby angel girl, in this world we&#39;re in, you&#39;re my cheruim".

LOL

Where is my Wanderland CD? :-P

honeychild
12-10-2003, 04:20 PM
ITA w/ashrob. i see this new sexy/trashy/vixen stuff (her bootie cheecks always hanging out) as the loss of something great. she is a very sexy woman and always has been, but this new &#39;trashiness as marketing choice&#39; business is new, and makes me sad.

BamaFro
12-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Maybe I&#39;m missing something, but in the "Caught Out There" (first single, "I hate you so much right now" chant) video, Kelis was in the bathtub butt naked to the point where they had to censor out her breasts. If that isn&#39;t beginning with a lot of sexiness, I don&#39;t know what is. Not to mention the low cut tops and panty/bra sets she was walking around in when she went "crazy" and threw stuff all over the room.

In her second video, "Get Along w/You," she&#39;s floating around in a long gown with a lot of cleavage showing once again.

Kelis has always had a bit of sexiness to her image.

True, it appears as though she&#39;s lost some weight, but in recent interviews she&#39;s said so herself that she doesn&#39;t have the biggest chest in the world, so I highly doubt she&#39;s had a boob job . . . for crying out loud, she&#39;s only about a year old than me (I&#39;m 22).

If you listen to Kelisdescope and Tasty, you&#39;ll be able to see that, though she may have some sexy/naughtyness mixed in there, she has more than enough songs with a true message in them to balance it out. I don&#39;t see that she&#39;s lost anything . . . changed slightly, yes. Sporting a 20 pound weave and a ton of make up to hide her true beauty ??? no.

Maestradiva77
12-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by dreamy1@Nov 16 2003, 06:11 PM
yeah, i&#39;m feeling the "milkshake" song too, even though i&#39;m not sure what the milkshake is.
LOL! I thought I was the only one! Ok, now I don&#39;t feel so bad. I guess I am just clueless in that aspect. :lol

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BamaFro@Dec 10 2003, 04:49 PM

Kelis has always had a bit of sexiness to her image.

If you listen to Kelisdescope and Tasty, you&#39;ll be able to see that, though she may have some sexy/naughtyness mixed in there, she has more than enough songs with a true message in them to balance it out. I don&#39;t see that she&#39;s lost anything . . . changed slightly, yes. Sporting a 20 pound weave and a ton of make up to hide her true beauty ??? no.[/font]
Exactly! ITA! Her musical talent promotes more than just sexy, she has lots of thought provoking songs on her CDs. She&#39;s always had that type of image...I don&#39;t know why people are just now saying something about it.

Lolly
12-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by TooXquisite@Nov 29 2003, 07:14 PM
I like the song. My hubby says that he&#39;s glad its Kelis singin&#39; and not that chile from "My Neck, My Back" lookin&#39; a hot mess.
[quote]

Yeah that
My neck, My Back" child was just plain NASTY.

I just love that "Milkshake" song. I keep singing it. I am a big Kelis fan. I hope that Napturality will interview her someday. I want to know what she does to maintain her fro. I love her hair and that in your face attitude.

vuqua1
12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
I can&#39;t get "Milkshake" out of my head. I&#39;m slowly killing my husband with it. I agree, that her sexiness was always present. We&#39;ll have to see in the next few months of promotional stints if she is really "sexin&#39; out" (selling out). Also, Kelis is closer to 25yrs old than 22. When Kaleidoscope dropped she was 20, that was in &#39;99.

charli
12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
I like Kellis, I like the song, I do not like the video. When I first saw it, I was like WTH? It was too much. From the super tight, camel toe pants, to that funky leg open close dance, to her bending over and jiggling her breasts and her bending over and sticking her butt out to get the buns out of the oven (I mean, really, it was such a porn star pose), I was disappointed that she went that route. It wasn&#39;t sexy, it was overboard, she was putting 10 on the 2, YKWIM? There&#39;s sexy, there&#39;s hot and there&#39;s "you&#39;re trying too hard." And that video was trying to hard.

jenteel
12-12-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by charli@Dec 11 2003, 08:01 PM
I like Kellis, I like the song, I do not like the video. When I first saw it, I was like WTH? It was too much. From the super tight, camel toe pants, to that funky leg open close dance, to her bending over and jiggling her breasts and her bending over and sticking her butt out to get the buns out of the oven (I mean, really, it was such a porn star pose), I was disappointed that she went that route. It wasn&#39;t sexy, it was overboard, she was putting 10 on the 2, YKWIM? There&#39;s sexy, there&#39;s hot and there&#39;s "you&#39;re trying too hard." And that video was trying to hard.
yeah i agree
kelis never took that route
i remember when she was talkin about how she lost weight
she said she knows it will help her image and she doesn&#39;t mind that
i think she realizes sex sells and she is buying into that
oh well :huh
i didn&#39;t mind the suggestive dancing
cuz i dance like that 2 :-cre
but as long as she keeps her hair nappy
i&#39;m all right...

Mskey001
12-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Sorry Ladies, but who told her she could sing???? Was it Nas? Im going to kick his buttt! :fight She sounds tone def to me!

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Mskey001@Dec 12 2003, 08:02 AM
Sorry Ladies, but who told her she could sing???? Was it Nas?
Whoever let her be in the Harlem Boys Choir :) And she&#39;s been singing since way before she met Nas.

NaturalSerenitee
12-12-2003, 07:52 PM
The tune is catchy, but the video was pure-dee ugh!!! She was busting OUT of that outfit for real, especially the pants -- her a** was hanging out!!!! I am not prude, and love looking sexy myself, but there is a difference between sexy, and what she was attempting to portray in that video.

But I love the song, can&#39;t stop singing it, and I like her. And I think she and Nas make a great couple and I wish them every happiness.

ReddyLoques
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
I surfed up on this picture at another board I post on .. Soul City... (http://soulcity.five27.com)

This is a picture of Nas&#39;s arm.. He has a semi-nude Kelis tattooed on it..
Her milkshake got the man running to the tattoo parlor.. :thumbsup

I guess this was inside the book of one of his cd&#39;s or her new one??

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/mo/monoblock/kelis.jpg

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Yeah...that&#39;s on the back of the Tasty CD case.

mrandmrsmer
12-12-2003, 11:17 PM
I saw a bit of her new video, Milkshake, and all I&#39;ll say is, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!" She was earthy and raw and real when she first began, now she, too, has turned into some kinda sex siren. Next thing you know, she&#39;ll be posing for the cover of Maxim. Same thing happened to Jewel. Oh, well.....

mrandmrsmer
12-12-2003, 11:20 PM
I definitely liked "Kaleidoscope" a lot better. This Milkshake song can be left at the drive thru at McDonald&#39;s. :rolleyes

Dolliesdaughter
12-13-2003, 05:21 PM
I thought milkshake was about jiggly boobs.

mrandmrsmer
12-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Dec 13 2003, 11:21 AM
:huh :huh I guess! :lol

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by mrandmrsmer+Dec 13 2003, 12:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrandmrsmer @ Dec 13 2003, 12:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alken41100@Dec 13 2003, 11:21 AM
:huh :huh I guess! :lol [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s about your personality.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-13-2003, 08:10 PM
There&#39;s an unreleased version of the video. I like it better than the one that&#39;s out now, except that the in the unreleased one her skirt flies up. That was too much.

rkj223
12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Personality?
I don&#39;t see her shaking her personality in that video.
Kelis can justify it anyway she feels the need to.
I heard her on mtv saying "Milkshake is about the essence of a woman"
Oh, shaddap, Kelis!
Shake the mamms, cash the check, and move on.
Be real about it at least.

My votes is for jiggly boobs.

Siennasilk
12-13-2003, 08:46 PM
My vote&#39;s for "jiggly boobs" too... Milkshake is a cute and catchy song. I also like some of her other songs. I, personally, don&#39;t see her as selling out just b/c she&#39;s wearing the latest trend of booty-cutters in the video. I have a few pair myself. When she breaks out into a soft-porn scene like Beyonce&#39;s Baby Boy video, then we can declare her as officially sold out.

cristalena
12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
ahahahaha.

"shake the mamms..."

ahahahaha!

whew! ok...i&#39;m done now.

mrandmrsmer
12-15-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by rkj223@Dec 13 2003, 02:13 PM
Personality?
Oh, shaddap, Kelis!

I don&#39;t think the song is referring to personality, either, not the way she&#39;s gyrating and jiggling around from the clip of the video I saw. :duck :lol

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by mrandmrsmer+Dec 14 2003, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrandmrsmer @ Dec 14 2003, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rkj223@Dec 13 2003, 02:13 PM
Personality?
Oh, shaddap, Kelis!

I don&#39;t think the song is referring to personality, either, not the way she&#39;s gyrating and jiggling around from the clip of the video I saw. :duck :lol [/b][/quote]
Well neither do I, but that&#39;s not me saying it&#39;s about personality...it&#39;s Kelis.

mrandmrsmer
12-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by AfrikaIzin_My_Hair@Dec 14 2003, 10:27 PM
Well neither do I, but that&#39;s not me saying it&#39;s about personality...it&#39;s Kelis.
Well, then, Kelis is hallucinating. :lol Personality my milkshake! :lol :lol

naPkinKoLa
12-20-2003, 09:52 AM
So did anyone catch Kelis on tonight&#39;s Last call w/Carson Daly? She performed "milkshake" and it was tight ...along with her ultrashort spandex "skirt", which I thought was gonna ride up her waist while she was "milkshaking" her way around the stage :huh !! Anyway, I know this thread is about Kelis&#39; music, but I just had to share this interesting(to say the least) article (http://www.nme.com/news/40584.htm) about her that I stumbled upon.

Well, then, Kelis is hallucinating.

Well, apparently she is... :lol

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by naPkinKoLa@Dec 20 2003, 04:52 AM
So did anyone catch Kelis on tonight&#39;s Last call w/Carson Daly? She performed "milkshake" and it was tight ...along with her ultrashort spandex "skirt", which I thought was gonna ride up her waist while she was "milkshaking" her way around the stage :huh !! Anyway, I know this thread is about Kelis&#39; music, but I just had to share this interesting(to say the least) article (http://www.nme.com/news/40584.htm) about her that I stumbled upon.

Hahaha I always knew Kelis was a druggie. Whenever she&#39;d be in a UK magazine, the article would always be about her smoking weed or doing E. I&#39;m not surprised :)

mrandmrsmer
12-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by naPkinKoLa@Dec 20 2003, 03:52 AM

:huh Oops. Didn&#39;t know she was down with the hallucinogens and stimulants/depressants. :tiptoe :lol

YoGirlToo
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
not surprised... she always acted a little "off" to me

Dolliesdaughter
12-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Regarding article. Beautiful lady, foul mouth. You can get your point across, even about drugs without using gutter talk. She should stay off the drugs and maybe her vocaulary will clean up.

bighair20
12-23-2003, 01:37 AM
I do not listen to her music at all. I don&#39;t listen to music period. But, ran across this article and wanted to add it here. Her saying she does not smoke weed any more. And, also how she is taking vocal lesson&#39;s, and is a Born again Christian. give her a break...lol :mad

I don&#39;t however know if this article is old or new.

http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/ma...over/index.html (http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/mag_jun_jul02/cover/index.html)

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
12-24-2003, 03:05 AM
I&#39;m mad because her next single is going to be "In Public". Dang Kelis! She has so many other GREAT songs on that CD...she should pick one she did with Ralphael Saadiq...cuz to me "In Public" is not single material. They are trying to make her look hoed-out for real!

naPkinKoLa
12-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by bighair20@Dec 23 2003, 01:37 AM
I do not listen to her music at all. I don&#39;t listen to music period. But, ran across this article and wanted to add it here. Her saying she does not smoke weed any more. And, also how she is taking vocal lesson&#39;s, and is a Born again Christian. give her a break...lol :mad

I don&#39;t however know if this article is old or new.

http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/ma...over/index.html (http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/mag_jun_jul02/cover/index.html)

Your article was published in July of &#39;02 and the one I found was from August of &#39;01. Well, itz good to know that she&#39;s nowmilkshaking down the right path cause the whole drug thing is not a good look!

bighair20
12-24-2003, 03:30 AM
That is good to hear. She&#39;s very beautiful and talented.

Evolution19
01-01-2004, 11:44 PM
yes "glow", "sugar honey iced tea" or &#39;Attention" should be the next single...even &#39;flashback&#39;

Alas1119
01-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by ReddyLoques@Dec 12 2003, 03:49 PM
I surfed up on this picture at another board I post on .. Soul City... (http://soulcity.five27.com)

Wow....why would he go an put a tatoo like this on his arm?

What&#39;s going to happen if they breakup? I wouldn&#39;t want that on my arm in the event of a breakup...I don&#39;t understand these celebrity types...

carboncopysue
01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Alas1119+Jan 2 2004, 04:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alas1119 @ Jan 2 2004, 04:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ReddyLoques@Dec 12 2003, 03:49 PM

Wow....why would he go an put a tatoo like this on his arm?

What&#39;s going to happen if they breakup? I wouldn&#39;t want that on my arm in the event of a breakup...I don&#39;t understand these celebrity types...[/b][/quote]
:lol maybe if they break up, he can scratch out her face and tatoo someone else&#39;s face on there :-)

Sue.

naPkinKoLa
01-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Did anyone else hear that Kelis is going on tour w/ Britney Spears starting in March? I&#39;m not sure what to think of that...

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
01-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah I&#39;m mad that she&#39;s going on tour with Britney. That is SO stank!!!!

Napptorious
01-16-2004, 06:48 PM
That song is very addicting eventhough she mad it from nothing at all...too funny

lnana
01-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Her album is really addicting and refreshing. I love Kelis because she just has so much style. All the tracks on her album are pretty nice, especially the songs that she did with Raphael Saadiq.

knoxx
02-03-2004, 02:23 AM
yes i am SO mad she is touring with spears....but her kaleidoscope and wanderland albums are classics

naPkinKoLa
02-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Heads up, y&#39;all- Kelis is gonna be the musical guest on tonight&#39;s SNL!

AKAHLF
02-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I caught her performance on SNL.... 8)

naPkinKoLa
02-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Hate to say it, but I was not impressed w/ her performance last night!