PDA

View Full Version : How often do you trim

cantwait2bkinky
10-30-2003, 01:48 AM
I did the big chop and was wondering how often should I trim it's been 3mons since big shop and 5months since last perm. and do you get it done with clippers or what?

sjdancer
10-30-2003, 02:08 AM
IMO, it depends on what's going on with your hair. For example if my hair starts getting knots and is frequently tangly, I need a trim. Usually every 2 months. That's what I've read by the "experts". Some go months though without. I for one had my last trim in August I think. It might have been September...anyway, I blow out my hair and pass shears over my fro. Others twist their hair and clip the ends with hair clippers (?)

ini
10-30-2003, 05:27 AM
I trimmed for the first time 8 months after my BC and I paided the price! I now have myself on a every 3 month schedule where I'll take off about a quarter of an inch to a half an inch

Patrina
10-30-2003, 05:30 AM
I have yet to trim my hair cuz I have no idea how to. I don't think twisting and then clipping is a sound idea so I am up for suggestions.

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

ini
10-30-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Patrina@Oct 30 2003, 01:30 AM
I have yet to trim my hair cuz I have no idea how to. I don't think twisting and then clipping is a sound idea so I am up for suggestions.

Patrina
Click here to see how I trimmed my hair. (http://home.comcast.net/~nomorerain/journal/2003/2003_28.htm)

If you want a perfectly shapped rounded trim you should see a professional.

honeychild
10-30-2003, 11:47 AM
i trim whenever my ends feel straggly, usually abt every 3-4 months or so. ini's ILLUSTRATED instructions are off the CHAIN! that's exactly how i do it. i don't twist then clip off the ends of the twists. i brush through while twisting, and clip off any damaged ends (usually about 1/4th of an inch or so) and then twist it up. this helps me keept track of what pieces i've trimmed already (b/c they're twisted) and what's still to go (b/c it's loose)

HTH

Jewells
10-30-2003, 12:36 PM
I usually try to trim my hair every three months or so. If my ends feel or look dry, here come the scissors. I may cut off about 1/4 of an inch or so. It depends on what my mood is on how I trim. Either part and snip or cut off the ends as I twist.

tran68
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I've had 4 trims so far....the first was 1/4 in, the second an inch and the next two about 1/2 inch....it really depends on how my hair feels, sometimes I'll stretch it out to trim and am happy with my ends, but usually after 3-4 months it's time....I stretch my hair out either by blow drying or banding, twist and then cut with scissors...when I had under 4 inches of hair I just picked it out and dusted with clippers.

nappynae
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
thank you ini!!!!!!!! i haven't trimmed since last december (i'm so ashamed) but i refused to go to a professional & i was too scared to try it myself. thanks for your instructions, i'll be trying my first trim this weekend.

nappynae

Afrokween
10-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ini+Oct 30 2003, 05:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ini @ Oct 30 2003, 05:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Patrina@Oct 30 2003, 01:30 AM
I have yet to trim my hair cuz I have no idea how to. I don&#39;t think twisting and then clipping is a sound idea so I am up for suggestions.

Patrina
Click here to see how I trimmed my hair. (http://home.comcast.net/~nomorerain/journal/2003/2003_28.htm)

If you want a perfectly shapped rounded trim you should see a professional. [/b][/quote]
THANX INI!!!! :bis :bis :rainfro

Afrokween :rainfro

KinkyCoils
10-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Ini, those are some great directions. I&#39;m due for a trim and I plan on trimming off 1/2-1" and I&#39;m going to try doing it your way. Thanks!

earthangel
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Oct 30 2003, 06:47 AM
i trim whenever my ends feel straggly, usually abt every 3-4 months or so. ini&#39;s ILLUSTRATED instructions are off the CHAIN! that&#39;s exactly how i do it. i don&#39;t twist then clip off the ends of the twists. i brush through while twisting, and clip off any damaged ends (usually about 1/4th of an inch or so) and then twist it up. this helps me keept track of what pieces i&#39;ve trimmed already (b/c they&#39;re twisted) and what&#39;s still to go (b/c it&#39;s loose)

HTH
Same routine here! I&#39;d like to add that I part my hair in quadrants, brush, and trim. I put trimmed hair in a hair band as I go along.

strongnaps
10-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Oh my goodness Ini!! Those are great instructions!! Im trying this out TONITE, Im so excited!! Ive hit my 3 month mark today!! )

thanx

puchi
11-01-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by strongnaps@Oct 31 2003, 07:23 PM
Oh my goodness Ini!! Those are great instructions!! Im trying this out TONITE, Im so excited!! Ive hit my 3 month mark today!! )

thanx
ME TOO! ME TOO! :bis :bis

--puchi

wildkiki
11-01-2003, 05:03 AM
I wouldn&#39;t dare trim my own hair. To me, that idea sounds crazy, TO ME.

anyhoo, I usually wait till the ends off my hair start to tangle easily, then I know it&#39;s time 4 a trim, which is usually around every 2-4 months. I have no clue how much they cut off, but since I have been doing the no poo method, it&#39;s like they hardly cut any off. Really, I have to ask if they think that&#39;s enough.

ini
11-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by wildkiki@Nov 1 2003, 01:03 AM
I wouldn&#39;t dare trim my own hair. To me, that idea sounds crazy, TO ME.
well then call me :-cre :lol

anyhoo,
no problem everyone...just make sure you use a good pair of scissors that you ONLY use for your hair. Good luck

Patrina
11-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ini+Oct 30 2003, 12:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ini @ Oct 30 2003, 12:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Patrina@Oct 30 2003, 01:30 AM
I have yet to trim my hair cuz I have no idea how to. I don&#39;t think twisting and then clipping is a sound idea so I am up for suggestions.

Patrina

If you want a perfectly shapped rounded trim you should see a professional. [/b][/quote]
:bis :app :app Thanks again Ini. I did my trim on Friday and I think it came out well. :cen My hair is MUCH easier to pick through now. I guess I am gonna have to continue trimming these napps but not every three months. Maybe twice a year. But I like the results. Of course I did cut off some of the highlights that I put in on last Sunday but I can do a retouch. :thumbsup :ura

Patrina

Cassandra
11-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I tend to trim, every two months of so.

Geminibrown78
11-02-2003, 07:00 AM
I try to get it done every 4-6 weeks because, my hair will get really knotty at the ends. I usually go to a barber too, because I don&#39;t feel insecure as when I go to a regular salon. Everytime I go in there, they let me know when they&#39;re gonna relax my hair, which makes me wanna (box or if they press it to trim it they&#39;ll let me know that my hair is no joke, which also makes me wanna :fight

iyamkenya
11-02-2003, 08:34 AM
I just trimmed my hair for the first time since a year ago. (1/2in?)I had planned to trim every six months. I don&#39;t use heat often or rough comb my hair. So I shouldn&#39;t have to worry about excessive split ends right? And since I&#39;ve learned that trimming doesn&#39;t make the hair grow, why trim so often guys? :-P Sidenote:I&#39;m trying to retain as much length as possible too. :)

niki000
11-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks INI, those pics are great!!

I have a few more questions,

1. should I buy special beauty supply scissors or will any sharp one do?

2. If I go to a barber for a trim, will they blow my hair out, or do i have to do that on my own?

ini
11-03-2003, 06:40 AM
@ iyamkenya: i&#39;m gonna trim more often because i noticed crunchy ends that slowly started to creep up the shaft. i&#39;d rather snip them off early than to have them causing tangles and snags in great numbers later. that&#39;s my experience.

@ niki000: i personally went to sally&#39;s and purchased shears. they have cheaper ones and pretty pricey ones. that&#39;s what i&#39;d recommend. if you do this, make sure that NOONE gets them by mistake and cuts anything but hair. hide them basically :lol
usually if you go to the barber for a trim they will just pick your hair out. usually i&#39;ll make sure my hair is already cleared out throughly before i go to any hair care professional. a beautician would be more likely to blow your hair out than a barber...but it&#39;s still not a necessary step.

Sassy
11-03-2003, 01:52 PM
I trim every 6 months...am I taking a joke too far? I never use heat on my hair and no colour either. Is 6 months still too long?

drsybil
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I usually get my hair trimmed every six-eight weeks by a friend. My hair starts to develop little knots on the ends and that&#39;s when I know it&#39;s time for a trim. I usually have 1/4 of an inch taken off. If I am not vigilante, my hair starts to split badly, even though I wear protective styles most of the time. I have also trimmed the scraggly ends on my twists if I couldn&#39;t take it anymore. Usually I leave it to my stylist. This has worked well for me. I have been able to retain length very well with this routine.

afroqueen
11-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by iyamkenya@Nov 2 2003, 08:34 AM
I&#39;ve learned that trimming doesn&#39;t make the hair grow, why trim so often guys? :-P Sidenote:I&#39;m trying to retain as much length as possible too. :)
I hope I am doing this quote stuff right, but I love trimming my hair. I never, ever wear protected styles. My hair is always out or in a ponypuff. Even though I never use heat and never color my hair, my ends get ragged.

By properly dusting my ends every 8 - 10 weeks, it keeps my hair from tangling, knotting up and eventually breaking off. Therefore I keep more hair on my head than in my comb (from breakage) and I retain my length.

Sekhmet
02-01-2004, 05:19 PM
bump

Laluna
02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Trimming doesn&#39;t "make hair grow" but it does encourage "healthy" growth. When we trim, we are shearing off split ends, which travel up the shaft and weaken your hair. Weak hair falls out at the slightest provocation. :)

BTW...what does "BUMP" mean?

REGEE
02-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes, Ini gives great instructions for trimming.

I do the same thing basically. I twist first then take off the tips.
REGEE

jada1111
02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Okay, I&#39;m going to be trimming Feb 4. When you guys say twists, do you mean two-strand or single strand twists? And how many do you do all over your head?

Ini&#39;s instructions are no longer accessible.

TIA!

laticca8
02-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@Oct 30 2003, 11:47 AM
i trim whenever my ends feel straggly, usually abt every 3-4 months or so. ini&#39;s ILLUSTRATED instructions are off the CHAIN!
HTH
ITA! This is how I learned to trim my ends. I usually end up cutting about 1/4 inch every 3 months or as needed (when my ends start getting really knotty).