PDA

View Full Version : The '70s thread

Kalico
10-30-2003, 03:29 AM
What songs and artists from this decade are you into? If you were around in the 70s what memories do they bring to mind? I'll be back with a comprehensive list of mine in another 24.

:rainfro

Curlysaurus
10-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Where to begin?

From the 70s, I love Chaka Khan, Curtis Mayfield, Bee Gees, Gladys Night & the Pips, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, the Eagles, Elton John, the Jacksons, Carly Simon, David Bowie, ad infinitum. I love 70s music! Soul, funk, rock, classic country, one hit wonders, you name it! :d)

Hey, have you checked out the 6 CD set "Have a Nice Decade"? It's got some classic 70s performers like Al Green but also some fab one hit wonders like "Midnight at the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur, Car Wash, Rock the Boat and Brandy (You're A Fine Girl). :thumbsup

I love 70s music. It makes me think of lazy summer afternoons when the lawn's being mowed, barbecues and family get togethers, the beach & traveling "down South" to see relatives!

Those were some seriously good times!

carrolina
10-30-2003, 05:49 AM
whoops... :tiptoe

carrolina
10-30-2003, 05:59 AM
<span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>well seeing as how i was born in &#39;85, my memories of the &#39;70s are non-existent. BUT, my parents never left the &#39;70s, and i listened to their music when i was young. soooo...

*fav artists...earth, w&f...stevie wonder, roberta flack, donny hathaway, and rufus/chaka khan, minnie ripperton, LTD!!!, the eagles, queen (dont ask lol), elton john, i have a strange fondness for neil diamond lol, carol king...i think im forgetting people...but oh well lol

*fav songs..."love dont live here anymore", "love ballad"<---oooo i love that song, "everlasting love","love&#39;s holiday", "the closer i get to you", "you and i" and "the first time ever i saw your face"...cant list em all, man :) </span>

nappdiva
10-30-2003, 01:36 PM
OK, here we go:

Peter Frampton, Earth Wind and Fire, Graham Central Station ( You better ask if ya don&#39;t know), Bee Gees, Commdores (for Lionel started trippin and left), Labelle, Aretha, Gladys, Diana Ross, Jackson Five / Jacksons (whichever period you were digging), Barry White, Al Green, Spinners, Delfonics, 5 Stairsteps, Curtis Mayfield, Issac Hayes (you have to go pre-Shaft, find Hot Buttered Soul and hear is version of Dionne Warwick&#39;s "Walk on By" -- He kills it, my boy was bad!!!!), Sly and the Family Stone (brother don&#39;t get no credit), ChiLites, The Dells, Honeycomb, Stevie Wonder, Roberta Flack and Donnie Hataway, Rufus w/ Chaka, Elton John, Queen, Paul McCartney and Wings, Fleetwood Mac, Andy Gibb, Shaun Cassidy (Don&#39;t Laugh Y&#39;all), Leif Garrett ( I know if you know who this is you are screaming with laughter!!), ELO, Olivia Newton John, Chic, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Eagles, Chicago, Hall and Oates, Ray, Goodman and Brown, Smokey Robinson and the Quiet Storm LP, Parliment/Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins (Yeah Baby!!! -- said that s**t way before Austin Powers!), WAR, Prince (yeah, Prince, he came out in &#39;78/79, brotha man going into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year!!) man i will be here all day mentioning folks!!!

I&#39;m 37 yrs old, but I remember as far back as two. I tell you, there will NEVER BE A DECADE AS GREAT AS THE 70&#39;S. It was the best time to grow up as a child. And to grow up as a teenager...well the 80&#39;s list will be another posting we will have to talk about.

nappdiva
10-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Wait!! I forgot!!! The Temptaions!!! The Dennis Edward years..."Papa Was a Rolling Stone" and the "A Song For You" album! There version of Donny Hataway&#39;s hit is a classic and what about "Glass House" ? "If ya living in a glass house, don&#39;t ya throw no stones"...... See y&#39;all going to make me go home and pull this out!

And I forgot the Ohio Players, everything they did was tight.

Epiphany_Castro
10-30-2003, 05:44 PM
I wasborn in 1963 so I am for sure a child of the 70&#39;s...graduated High School in 1981!!! Oh so I have sooooo many faves,but for the sake of time i will scale it down....
SLY and The Family Stone!!!! The greatest bans that ever lived!!!
The Beatles,All motown,Peter frampton,Grahm central station,Parliament,The Eagles,The Spinners,Shalimar,Prince,The Jacson 5,Stevie wonder,Roberta Flack,Donny Hathaway,The fith dimension!!!OMG....there are so many!!!!

tran68
10-30-2003, 07:50 PM
I was torn b/w rock and soul so my list is varied....an older brother listened to soul and older sister, rock - what we call "classic rock" today......

The Eagles
Paul McCartney and Wings
Fleetwood Mac, I still love Stevie Nicks today...her voice is so haunting!
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Black Sabbath
Isley Brothers
Brothers Johnson
Roberta Flack
Natalie Cole
Dionne Warwick
Ike and Tina Turner
Sylvers
Jacksons
Rose Royce
BT Express
Eddie Kendricks
Curtis Mayfield
O&#39;Jays
Mcfadden and Whitehead....ain&#39;t no stoppin us now!
LTD
Michael Henderson
Teddy Pendergrass
Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes - Teddy&#39;s old group
Sylvester....his gospel and disco music
Elton John - the Queen herself! :lol
Captain and Tenelle
Linda Rondstadt
Ann Murray
Heart
Spinners
Aretha

I could go on...and on...

Kalico
10-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by carrolina@Oct 30 2003, 06:59 AM
<span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>well seeing as how i was born in &#39;85, my memories of the &#39;70s are non-existent. BUT, my parents never left the &#39;70s, and i listened to their music when i was young. soooo...

*fav artists...earth, w&f...stevie wonder, roberta flack, donny hathaway, and rufus/chaka khan, minnie ripperton, LTD!!!, the eagles, queen (dont ask lol), elton john, i have a strange fondness for neil diamond lol, carol king...i think im forgetting people...but oh well lol

*fav songs..."love dont live here anymore", "love ballad"<---oooo i love that song, "everlasting love","love&#39;s holiday", "the closer i get to you", "you and i" and "the first time ever i saw your face"...cant list em all, man :) </span>
S&#39;okay. That&#39;s why asked for memories if you were around. You don&#39;t need to have lived in a particular peiod to be a fan of the music from that period.

Still haven&#39;t found the time to put together my comprehensive list but the Jacksons are on my forever, for always, and play at my funeral list. Today I listen to their album "Destiny" and marvel that Michael was only 18 at the time and at that level of talent.

Motown Sound, Philly Sound. Roberta Flack&#39;s, First Take - Try to make it real, but compared to what? Abba, the Bee Gees - Just about anything disco which is the late 70s actually. A lot of people get the late 70s and the 80s confused. There is a difference! In the 70s I lived in Africa and this was before globalization and instaupdates via satellite media so we mostly got r & b soul music and it would be like 6 months late but that we didn&#39;t care at all (slightly off topic but we also used to watch old nba games believe it or not).

I didn&#39;t know anything about rock music till I came to the states so there&#39;s an entire genre of 70s music that I am into that I didn&#39;t find out about until the 80s. Anyway I also like 70s groups like The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, the Steve Miller Band, some Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix (did he even make it to the 70s? Oh well doesn&#39;t matter. The man was so far ahead of his time his music still sounds cutting edge), David Bowie, Eric Clapton, the list goes on and on and on.

Nubiyan
10-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, I&#39;m a child of the 1980&#39;s. Even so, I still LOVE me some Donnie Hathaway and Earth, Wind & Fire.

systah
10-31-2003, 08:36 PM
wow! i just LOVE 70&#39;s music and there are too many artists to name, but i&#39;m an avid lover of funk and disco

Artsyblack
10-31-2003, 09:02 PM
I loved the 70&#39;s music and is still into the vintage soul, funk and rare groove that didn&#39;t get air play or wasn&#39;t mainstream.

My Dad was part of a group of soul club promoters so there was music played all the time in my home. Ah the memories of all those house parties ( our backyard garage converted into a lounge) that shaped my love for Black music. :rainfro

So I was exposed to:
Roy Ayers, Jamse Brown, Gwen McCrea, Lynn Collins, Ike and Tina Turner, Vicki Anderson, Issac Hayes ( any artist on Stakks or Budda Records), Donald Byrd, The Blackbyrd, Areatha Franklin, Minnie Rippleton, Donnie Hathaway,Kool and The Gang, Mandrill, Ohio Players, Marlena Shaw, Freda Payne, Barry White, Johnny Guitar Watson, and on and on.