PDA

View Full Version : Braid Out 101

kinkykhick
10-30-2003, 03:30 AM
In my over 10 years being natural, I’ve never mastered a good looking braid out.
But from what I’ve been reading this is the style for lazy girls like me, so tell me what to do.

Braid Dry or wet?

Braid big or small/How many?

Braid tight or loose?

Product or none?

Style worn loose or up?

How long does your braid out last?

Your hair stats?

Any other comments.....

Thank you :-)

honeychild
10-30-2003, 01:35 PM
braidout notes; no particular order:

* technique depends on what you're trying to do. in general, for definition, use a setting creme or lotion or gel or something; braid tight; braid wet and/or rinse & let dry completely just before taking out. for fullness and stretchage, braid w/out detangling or smoothing much, braid w/out styling aids (use a pudding or butter instead for moisture), and make bigger braids.

*cornrows generally give more definition per braid. 10 cornrows gives me a headful of defined braidout texture, 10 big chunky 'dookie' individual braids, give a nice full chunky fro.

* as a rule, the 'out' will be more defined if the hair was braided wet, & combed or brushed smooth while braiding. the hair will be more stretched if braided dry. then of course there's the choice of whether you use butter/pomade/pudding to braid (better for moisture), or gel or setting lotion (better for definition). or both.

* dry, somewhat stretched hair is the easiest for me to part; braiding wet or damp gives me tighter, shinier, longer-lasting braids. oh! the conflict! :)

* however the hair is parted is how it will lay/the direction it will flow when taken out. if you don't want a center-parted afro, don't part yr braids down the middle!

* for a tightly set/longer lasting braidout, rinse and let dry completely before taking out the braids. for a stretched braidout, do not rinse before taking out.

kinkykhick
10-31-2003, 12:25 AM
Thanks Honeychild, :)

I'm sitting here with an alright looking braid out. Nothing too embarrasing but nothing to right home about.
I used just water and grabbed large sections of hair (no parting) and braided tight from root to end (or as close as I could get to the end)

The result were inconsistent some defined areas, some frizzy.
I'm going to have to practice to get better results maybe try a setting lotion or gel.

I'm wearing my hair out which a leather tie as a headband.

Do you style your braid out down or in an up do?

honeychild
10-31-2003, 12:37 AM
i usually just treat it like regular stretched hair... wear it out for a day or so, a pony puff for a day or so, maybe an updo or two... spritzing for moisture as needed and sleeping covered. it gradually shrinks and coils up over the next few days and if/when it starts to tangle i take that as the signal to wash again.

kinkykhick
10-31-2003, 07:01 PM
Oh, I see, Thanks Honeychild!! :)

True2Me
11-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Honeychild thanks for the detailed braid out instructions, I've been too scared to try it because I was not sure how to do it.

italdumpling
09-03-2004, 06:07 PM
bump...

More tips need.

Getting a braidout without big ugly parts?

Also, taking them out/ styling without disturbing the definition?

Niya
09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by italdumpling@Sep 3 2004, 12:07 PM
Getting a braidout without big ugly parts?

Also, taking them out/ styling without disturbing the definition?
massage the scalp when the braids are taken out to get rid of the parts.

to keep definition:
simply unbraid and fluff. the only parts i really need to touch are the roots for the scalp massage.

transitioning braidout:

Braid Dry or wet? - wet

Braid big or small/How many? - about 10 [4 in front section, 4 in middle section, 2 in back section]

Braid tight or loose? - tight, but not tight on the roots

Product or none? - product: moisturizer like shea butter or coconut oil.

Style worn loose or up? - loose

How long does your braid out last? - 5-7 days

Your hair stats? - transitioning, 1.5-2 inches of new growth. shoulder length hair

Kinkygirl
09-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Also check Melanizm's album for pic by pic braidout instructions.

Kinkygirl