PDA

View Full Version : The 80s Thread

Kalico
10-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Which songs and/or artists defined this decade for you? I'll be back later with my list.

tangytic
10-30-2003, 06:52 PM
sting/the police
annie lenox/eurythymics
inxs
tears for fears
a-ha
loose ends
stephanie mills
krs-one/bdp
public enemy
run-dmc
stetasonic
african bombatta
kurtis blow
depeche mode
madonna
Hall & Oates

:-? OK now I’m having brain drain that’s it for now.

AFashionSlave
10-30-2003, 07:21 PM
New Edition (most memorable 80's group for me)
Menudo
Depeche Mode - I love Enjoy the Silence
Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
2 live Crew
The Go Go's
Keith Sweat
LL Cool J
The Fat Boys (or the Disco Three) Boy am I showing my age.
Whodini
Hall & Oates
Doug E Fresh
Klymaxx
Club Nouveau
Slick Rick
Al B Sure
Prince and the Revolution
EPMD
Big Daddy Kane
McLyte
Salt N Pepa
Prince
The Art of Noise
Biz Markie
Eric B and Rakim
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Heavy D
UTFO
Stevie Wonder
The Culture Club
Three Times Dope (late 80’s)
Troop (maybe they are 90's)

I got so many more of these

tran68
10-30-2003, 08:38 PM

....words are very uneccesary, they can only do harm..... :lol :lol I was singing this while cooking dinner the other night, my kids just shook their heads! :huh those lil ones don't know good music and you can't tell them that ALL songs today are remixes of what we grew up on....lemme get my list goin....

Stacy Lattisaw
Johnnie Gill
Midnight Starr
Atlantic Star
Cameo
Fatback Band
Junior
Irene Cara....FAME!!!!
KISS
Def Leppard
Madonna
Rick James and Teena Marie
Rene and Angela
Starpoint
Lilo Thomas
REO Speedwagon...always played them at the after school dances!
Run DMC
LL Cool J - my babay!!
SOS Band
Con Funk Shun
Ray Parker Jr and Raydio

Kalico
10-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by tran68@Oct 30 2003, 08:38 PM

....words are very uneccesary, they can only do harm..... :lol :lol I was singing this while cooking dinner the other night, my kids just shook their heads! :huh those lil ones don't know good music and you can't tell them that ALL songs today are remixes of what we grew up on....lemme get my list goin....

Nope you can't tell 'em nothing! :D Now you got me singing FAME.

No list yet but at the top are:-

Duran Duran (including all splinter groups!)
Wham
Culture Club
Sting

I was all about Brit pop back then so I kinda missed an entire decade of black music except for maybe Michael and Janet Jackson and Prince.

I used to listen to this syndicated radio show called "Rock over London" on Sunday nights. I remember me huddled up in my cold azz bedroom (new immigrants crappy housing) listening to it. The gossip section was called "Naughty bits". Oh and me and my sister would have kit kats for breakfast sometimes, i.e. chocolate biscuits and call it a "british breakfast". Perfect l'il colonialized subjects we were back then!

Anyone remember bandaid and liveaid? Bandaid did that song "Feed the World" and then american artists got in on the act and did "We are the World". Today I think "Feed the World" is racist and condescending but being young and naive I just though it was a hip christmas anthem.

Funny how I know exactly where the line of demarcation between 70s and 80s music is but I get kinda fuzzy as to what's late 80s and early 90s. For example did Bon Jovi do "Wanted Dead or Alive" on the first MTV unplugged (I guess that's long since defunct??) in the late 80s or early 90s?? I loved dat. I'll have to be careful about this when putting my list together.