there is a tv personality on dutch television
her locks are the bomb
and you know what the funny thing is
her surname is Leeuwin which means
lioness in English.

http://tvbabes.com/presentatrices/dolores.html

YoungLioness
10-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Her locs are very pretty. Nice and full!

Fansia
12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
ok this girl has been interviewed at http://www.kroeshaar.com
click on her beautifull name "dolores leeuwin"
you can see two more pics of her mane

she started her locks with braids and WAX
she goes to a salon that maintains her locks
by putting a piece of thread (very simple idea this thread method!) at the roots
the advantage of this is , she says,
she can wash her hair when she wants her locks stay neat and don't break off
she washes 3 times a week and uses a lil bit of green DAX GREASE.

fyi
:-)

anyone know more about this threadmethod ?
It think what they do is knot the thread around the root of the lock
and a few months later snip it off and apply a new piece of thread.
Looks like a cool method for people who don't want to twist
or use tools.

QueenLena03
12-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Very nice. I only know aboout people using thread at the ends but not at the roots.

Beryl
12-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Her locs look fabulous. Unfortunately, I can't read any non-Latin based European languages.

How long was her hair when she started out with the braids and wax? Does she still use the wax now that she uses the thread?

Many years ago, my braider suggested using thread at the roots -- I put her on a mission to find a way to successfully start my locs.

Fansia
12-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Beryl she only used the wax to start them and she doesn't say how long her hair was when she started.

alma2254
12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
wow-her locs are amazing! Love the volume!

Sunchild
12-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Her volume is the bomb. I am jealous.

I suspect she started with long hair, because her locks still look very chewy. Or it could possibly be the threading that is causing that look?

Did she say in the article how long she had been locking?

frstdawn
12-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi Fansia! How goes the new locin journey? My locs will be one year old on Saturday!!! Anyway, this lady's locs are beeeutiful!!! To Kween's question (hi Afrikankween!!) I think the appearance of her locs is more likely due to texture than chewiness. My locs are similar in appearance and it is most certainly due to the fact that I dont palm roll and my texture is more apparent that it would be otherwise. I am thinking if she has it regularly maintaned they are twisting uniformly.

D

klw16
12-15-2003, 07:31 PM
I know I am late to the site, but the picture of Dolores Leeuwin is so inspiring. I have decided to attempt to grow dreads. My hair is really curly, I am wearing microbraids right now. What is the best method to start?

Deej
12-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey, Kroeshaar is Masoesa's site(a NY Nappy), maybe I can ask her if she knows more about the thread method.

I also know Amyst1, who is also a NY Tri-state Nappy, had locs with thread. I think it was just plain yarn you buy at the store.

This might be a good method for my son's locs, he gets the fuzzy so quick.

Fansia
12-15-2003, 09:58 PM
afrikankween her locks are approx. 5 y if i'm right.

Hi dawn i'm going 2 start documenting my journey soon.
Congrats !!!!!

Deej yes it's masoesa's (one of the nappturals here) wonderfull website you can pm her. Maybe she could
convince dolores to start posting here !
Luckily for me there is no need to use thread cause my locks
just stay seperate by themselves after a year.

:-)

masoesa
12-16-2003, 04:41 AM
Hey ya'll,

I heard about this method first from a guy who went to South Afrika. Now that Deej is mentioning it, it is a way to keep the friz away. She choose this method because her locks broke off the first time, they were too long and too heavy. Then she started al over with this thread method.

Thanks for being so enthusiastic and posting this Fansia

CrystalD
12-16-2003, 10:28 AM
her locks are just beautiful...I think i have only about half the volume though :( What type of thread does one use with this method? (yarn, thin thread?) etc...

Deej
12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Here ya go, CrystalD

If you look to the left of the website there is more links to yarn locs - Happy reading.

YARN LOCS (http://www.naani.com/store_run.htm)

ETA: http://www.nubiankinks.com/images/LADY_2a2.jpg

Fansia
12-16-2003, 04:12 PM
for the record Dolores does not have yarn locks
she only has a small piece of thread only at the roots
not at the entire locks.

ok back to lurkdom :-)

sonshinescoils
06-11-2004, 07:31 AM
bump

ladylocs30
06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I like this method, not just for the fuzziness but also to help my locks from breaking because some of them are thin at the roots. It has also been suggested to me from a person who used to be loc'd. Her hair is beautiful. I was trying find her other pictures on the other website provided but I couldn't find it (even with it not being in English). I think this is going to be a good method for me because through w/ twisting and latch hooking is very time consuming. At least I can have my husband help me do this. :thumbsup