PDA

View Full Version : Professional Nappies...

JazzyNap
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Help!!! I'm up for a promotion that will DOUBLE my salary!! My hurr is natural (just chopped my locs in May) and about 3" long, shrinks to 1/2". My boss is NEW to organization, and she is black too with long burnt hurr, you get my meaning? She isn't a barbie or anything, down to earth and all, but I demands the professional look. She's a Ed.D.

What can I do to still look professional? I don't mean no harm, but these natural styles can run the gamot. Anyone have any ideas??
. :afro:

JN

Chlyric Images
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Makeup and pretty earrings, nice clothing always works, even with a cute lil fro. Keep it moisterized. U will be fine.

Sunchild
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Well if its shirking to 1/2 inch you can wear it shrunk as a TWA, which imo is a professional style.

kiwi
07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree with the TWA. You can't go wrong with that!

canadiana
07-09-2005, 08:31 PM
ITA with everyone! :D

napturallyme
07-09-2005, 08:58 PM
I fail to see why your TWA isn't professional. :dunno:

Also, are you making an assumption that she wouldn't think you look professional because she has long r.elaxed hair?

I think how your hair as it is professional.

yummyhoney06
07-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by canadiana@Jul 9 2005, 04:31 PM
ITA with everyone! :D

me too!

Trinity
07-09-2005, 09:46 PM
I totally get it. Our natural hair often scares us more that the others. Go to the barber shop and get them to give you a very sharp line( NOT A HAIR CUT!!!! ). Also get the eybrows waxed (or arched). These two things makes all the difference in the world. They both frame your face and can make you look sophisticated.

*Tip. If they accidentally go too thin with your brows don't be afraid to lightly fill them in with a sharp eyebrow pencil using tiny strokes to fill in (that one, long line just looks bizarre).
Once you put on your makeup, a pair of elegant, but discreet earrings and professional garb your look will out shine the mainstreamers.

mrsloh
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Also, go on a shopping spree and keep your wardrobe limited to dark blue's, blacks, and tans in suits with jackets. That is a very professional look. Also, stick with professional shoes such as pumps and covered toed flats...That will help any due you sport to look professional -- also, with your twa do your best to keep it picked and neat looking instead of a shake and go or a bed head look and you should be fine.

I worked with an Office Manager/Executive Secretary to the VP that wore bantu knots to work sometimes so you should be fine. Who knows, maybe its the confidence that is coming through in addition to your natural hair and matchless talent that got you the promotion...so you go on girl and make it do what it do!!! ;)

jmnappy
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Everyone else has given you good advice. Just be confident with your twa. I hope you get the promotion.

Ebonique
07-10-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm a professional and wore almost every style from twists, braids, twistouts, still looked and commanded the respect of a professional. I agree with the other posts above. Your twa should look great, and even if you kept your locs that would look good too. :D

samantha
07-10-2005, 12:12 AM
I also agree with the TWA being a professional style.

JazzyNap
07-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Wow, thanks all. You have made me feel better. I'm a DC napptural living in racist Michigan. It's been a definite mind trip. I totally intend to reloc, but wanted a change. My goal now is chin/sholder length thick 2-strands. :wub:

Nappytop
07-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by JazzyNap@Jul 9 2005, 07:37 PM
Help!!! I'm up for a promotion that will DOUBLE my salary!! My hurr is natural (just chopped my locs in May) and about 3" long, shrinks to 1/2". My boss is NEW to organization, and she is black too with long burnt hurr, you get my meaning? She isn't a barbie or anything, down to earth and all, but I demands the professional look. She's a Ed.D.

What can I do to still look professional? I don't mean no harm, but these natural styles can run the gamot. Anyone have any ideas??
. :afro:

JN

Do you work in a school? (since your boss has a Ed.D) I do too and there are about 6 nappies. Some wear locs, and others wear two strand twists. I personally think that the two strand twist would work. Or, just keep your TWA shaped up and neat. My professor in college who was an Ed. D wore a brown TWA it looked great.

lifeAgift
07-10-2005, 02:36 PM
MAINTAIN a professional attitude.

Go to work ON TIME.

Wear good looking well healed shoes!

All should be fine!!!

JazzyNap
07-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Nappytop+Jul 10 2005, 10:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JazzyNap@Jul 9 2005, 07:37 PM
Help!!! I&#39;m up for a promotion that will DOUBLE my salary!! My hurr is natural (just chopped my locs in May) and about 3" long, shrinks to 1/2". My boss is NEW to organization, and she is black too with long burnt hurr, you get my meaning? She isn&#39;t a barbie or anything, down to earth and all, but I demands the professional look. She&#39;s a Ed.D.

What can I do to still look professional? I don&#39;t mean no harm, but these natural styles can run the gamot. Anyone have any ideas??
. * :afro:

JN

Do you work in a school? (since your boss has a Ed.D) I do too and there are about 6 nappies. Some wear locs, and others wear two strand twists. I personally think that the two strand twist would work. Or, just keep your TWA shaped up and neat. My professor in college who was an Ed. D wore a brown TWA it looked great.

[/b]

Hi Yes, I am the Finance Manager for a small michigan school district. I am going for a Director job. Thanks mammies, for your luv and support. My TWA has been DABOMB this week, with little curlies. Three whyte women have stopped me to say I LUV your hair. My sistah friends at work had already shared their luv with me all along. So it&#39;s all good.

seek_first
07-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Sometimes people define Profesionall different. If you&#39;re concerned whether or not your look is professional or not then I suggest you consult someone you trust who is in upper management at the company. I suggest talking to a HR representative to get clarification. But I would only do all of this IF my supervisor mentions it. If not, then I wouldn&#39;t give it a second thought and go on about my business doing what I want with my hair.

missnappylady
07-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Ebonique@Jul 9 2005, 05:00 PM
I&#39;m a professional and wore almost every style from twists, braids, twistouts, still looked and commanded the respect of a professional. I agree with the other posts above. Your twa should look great, and even if you kept your locs that would look good too. :D

Exactly!! It&#39;s all in how you carry yourself. :)

babygurl
07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JazzyNap@Jul 10 2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, thanks all. You have made me feel better. I&#39;m a DC napptural living in racist Michigan. It&#39;s been a definite mind trip. I totally intend to reloc, but wanted a change. My goal now is chin/sholder length thick 2-strands. :wub:

HEY, Im in MI and I am not racist! hahaha....

But for really, DC is a lot more open to change and differences than in my loving home land!!!

Just stay encouraged and confident in ourself!!!

Evesgreat
07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Just make sure you are over-delivering on the work front...do the job. Don&#39;t assume your manager is going to get hung up on your appearance simply because of the differences in your hair. As far as dressing goes, take some cues from some of the higher ups in your department, ie. the jobs you want to have in about 3-5 years. Stay confident, be yourself, and you&#39;ll do fine. :)

pookeylou
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Working in Corporate Finance here...I rock the afro puff ERRRY DAY!!!!

It is a professional style because I handle my job as a professional.

NOTE: Dont ask permission to do something you already have a RIGHT TO DO!! You dont need to check and see if it is allowed. Your natural hair is your birthright.

You wouldnt change your color if someone told you being "Black" was unprofessional. That is a question you dont even need to ask. Your hair texture is part of who you are. No need to get permission to let it be.

How does a nappy professional wear their hair? Like any dignified nappy woman would...clean and with confidence. How you style it after that is up to you.

Jazitones
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pookeylou@Jul 19 2005, 08:28 AM
Working in Corporate Finance here...I rock the afro puff ERRRY DAY!!!!

It is a professional style because I handle my job as a professional.

NOTE: Dont ask permission to do something you already have a RIGHT TO DO!! You dont need to check and see if it is allowed. Your natural hair is your birthright.

You wouldnt change your color if someone told you being "Black" was unprofessional. That is a question you dont even need to ask. Your hair texture is part of who you are. No need to get permission to let it be.

How does a nappy professional wear their hair? Like any dignified nappy woman would...clean and with confidence. How you style it after that is up to you.

Pookeylou, I love this statement you mind if I borrow it

aquababie19
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
ita with everyone here. your natural hair is professional. don&#39;t let anyone at your job fool you. i wore my twa for 6-7 years...i was always "professsional"

EvesDilemma
07-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by JazzyNap@Jul 10 2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, thanks all. You have made me feel better. I&#39;m a DC napptural living in racist Michigan. It&#39;s been a definite mind trip. I totally intend to reloc, but wanted a change. My goal now is chin/sholder length thick 2-strands. :wub:

Hello there fellow Michigander (I&#39;m not originally from here though either, from GI!!!! Gary). What part of MI are you in?

I know what you mean though-I got more flak for wearing my hair natural in Detroit and the area on interviews than I did anywhere else. :(

Mae
07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by EvesDilemma+Jul 19 2005, 09:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JazzyNap@Jul 10 2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, thanks all. You have made me feel better. I&#39;m a DC napptural living in racist Michigan. It&#39;s been a definite mind trip. I totally intend to reloc, but wanted a change. My goal now is chin/sholder length thick 2-strands. * :wub:

Hello there fellow Michigander (I&#39;m not originally from here though either, from GI!!!! Gary). What part of MI are you in?

I know what you mean though-I got more flak for wearing my hair natural in Detroit and the area on interviews than I did anywhere else. :(

[/b]

Hi! I am from Detroit too, and for some reason natural hair is looked upon very negatively here. I have friends from Atlanta and New York that say I would blend in so much more there. It is crazy cause Detroit is a majority Black city....but also it is considered (debatably) one of the hair capitals of the world, with tons of permed hair stlyists and shops. Textured and natural looks are rare to see, except in certain circumstances.