PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Reasons For Hair Loss/thinning

iandi
07-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Ladies,

I just wanted to discuss how emotional/mental distress can cause hair to thin/fall out. Has anyone had experience with this?

My big challenge is with anger. I mentioned this in another forum, but I though I should post about it here, because I have come to see just how much of an effect my deep-seated anger has had on my health.

I didnt realize how much anger i had buried inside - I was one of those people who always smiled, never letting anyone know how much pain i was in, everyone always thinks im miss happy-go-lucky...

But then i started to look inside and saw that i held onto my hurt and pain from various people all my life...every cheating boyfriend (my hair started to thin about six mos after my last b/f's infidelity, it absolutely DEVASTATED me) every time my parents/"friends"/mean kids at school said something to me that made me feel like crap, abuse i suffered as a young child - i held on to ALL of it. I never let any of it go all these years, never gave myself permission to release this stuff...the pain had nowhere to go, so it started to eat me alive from the inside, literally...

Now, since I've slowly begun to release it and give it over to a Higher power, my hair has started growing back. Isn't that incredible?

It is hard work, but i am getting healthier for it.

Anyone relate? What do you ladies think about this?

reggie
07-13-2005, 09:59 PM
i can relate, i went through a stressful period during my sophomore year of college and my hair started falling out in the middle of my scalp. i had a short patch in this section and the rest of my hair was thining all over. after i let go of those frustrations in my life i began to see some improvement. it's so amazing how your body responds to emotions.

pookeylou
07-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I DEFINITELY believe there is a connection between pent up pain and losing your physical health and/or hair.

I was watching the "Gayle Devers" story the other day. The first symptom of her thyroid disorder was her hair started falling out. Added pressure to be an Olympic champion and stress in her marriage made it get worse.

By the end of the story, she was winning gold medals, her health was thriving and her hair was looking better.

My favorite comment about this is a line from a "Linkin Park" song: "Now the thing that I hate...has become a part of me."

We do that to ourselves. The things we stress about, become anxious over, hold in...eventually becomes a part of us and is expressed in our bodies.

We will see it in either weight gain, bad skin, stomach troubles and in many cases....losing our hair.

Good thing we are seeing it though. It is a hard point to remember...be at peace in your heart and mind...especially about people and things you cannot change.

KnappilyMe
07-14-2005, 06:24 PM
If it aint the truth. I know i have had a few bald spots in my hair from time to time. Pent up stress cause it.... and part of it was me not knowing what i was doing. I learned that when i get really stressed i start to rub a certain spot in my scalp and it causes it to go bald after so much rubbing or scratching. :(

WhoIsShe
03-23-2006, 11:30 PM
I was dealing with a guy that was all bad for me, and the stress he was causing was making my hair fall out.

I didn't even realize how bad it was at first; I thought I was just shedding a lot.

I went to my friend for a trim and he told me that it was definitely falling out.

About a week or 2 later I broke up with the guy and my hair stopped coming out almost immediately.

honeyhoney
03-24-2006, 03:33 PM
i can relate, i went through a stressful period during my sophomore year of college and my hair started falling out in the middle of my scalp. i had a short patch in this section and the rest of my hair was thining all over. after i let go of those frustrations in my life i began to see some improvement. it's so amazing how your body responds to emotions.
[/b]

@ Reggie, its great to hear that you managed to get over that difficult time. Your story is exactly where I am now. I've got this bald patch in the middle and the front is really thinning out too. I know its purely stress related as theres so much going on in my life at the moment. I'm trying to let it go but its so hard when you're in the middle of it all.

ms_rite
03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Yep another one here.

I've suffered with hair loss for years and everytime it was related to stress, you know that overwhelming feeling you get when you dont know what to do and you can feel it in your stomach. Usually my hair will thin out. I've been free of bald patches for years until last year when I was stressing about school I found a patch at the top of my head...now I'm trying to deal with my stress levels better my hair has grown back.

mthud
03-31-2006, 06:44 AM
I’ve never personally experienced, but I’ve seen my mom and aunt go through it. Both my mom and aunt have never had relaxers. They’ve been natural all their life. They had very beautiful long hair. My mom’s hair always breaks off when she gets extremely stressed, which is a lot of the time. Her hair grows back, but not as long as it once was. My aunt hair used to break off from stress and grow back. Last time it broke off and it didn’t grow back. Her hair still looks great short and natural.

twinsmom
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
My hair thins out too because of stress, this past year has been rough for me and my shows...

JustAnAngel
05-18-2006, 05:10 PM
YES YES YES!!! Oh my goodness, my entire body responds negatively to stress, and my hair is no exception. 2005 wreaked havoc on my emotional state and my hair. I already had the hair breakage (which i'd later learn was folliculitis), but it broke down to nothing but fuzz. I spent all of 2005 and much of the previous year stressed out. In the past, i've noticed that my muscle and stomach issues are also very tied to my stress level/mental state. I'm trying to learn how to release it in healthy ways... but so far... no good...

NappyChile
06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Peace Sistas,

I have had the same spot come & go over my life thus far ;) . Even when I had the shackles (perms, etc). I learned that stress (emotional) and my diet were key. Taking good care of my mind and body were the turn around. Eating properly, excerising, relaxing (pampering myself from time to time :wub: ) and gettting at least 8 hours of sleep - for what you put in is truely what will come out. I have now come to understand to embrace that flaw in myself and use it as a guide to my overall health. ^_^

Happy 2B Nappy!
NappyChile
:lol:

puchi
07-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Yep. When Im really stressed out, a small area in the middle of my head begins to hurt terribly and the hair breaks off...

simpleme.
08-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Wheww, I can relate.

If I am thinking too hard, stressed, anxious, worried, or sad, I start pulling at the middle/crown of my head. This area is already short and thin (At about 14 I read in a medical book that if your hair was too thick you could comb it repeatedly to remove the hair, not sure why I wanted to see if it could really work, so I did it, and it has not grown all the way back out yet :angry: doctors...lol) it has not been thick or long since the day before my reading and combing adventures.

So I do think that emotions have a lot to do with hair and hair loss, I know a woman who has rubbed the front of her hairline back at least an inch :(

On a good note, the hair in that area USED to be highly breakable and very thin, since I have not had a perm in 3 months, the hair in that area, the newly grown hair is really tightly coiled, but that seems to be the only area, its soft and feels healthier than the new growth that is around the edges.

The challenge is not to pull at it, I really love the way it feels :D

Kalia
08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I can totally relate. When I was going through the separation and divorce in my first marriage I lost handfuls of hair daily. I was afraid to even brush my hair. I was an emotional wreck. I am a firm believer in the correlation of hair loss and stress.

sigay
08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
everyone can relate, but does anyone have any solutions or advice. I am going thru the same thing and looking for help

serviam
09-09-2007, 12:20 PM
everyone can relate, but does anyone have any solutions or advice. I am going thru the same thing and looking for help
[/b]

What she said. Any solution?

missCONGENIALity
09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Now, that you mention it, this might explain why my edges may be getting worst. I always thought that my temples were my stress spots.

bigmoney247
09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I also have a stress related thin area in the top of my head. I have cut my hair several times hoping it will come back in thicker, but never has. i also have the habit of beating myself in the head on the left side if it itches (one of those braid tricks), but now I do it even without the braids or the itch.

I really wish I could find a solution.

Jess82
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
What she said. Any solution?
[/b]

Anyone has solutions? :)

KeKe808
01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
I know for me a great stess reliever was excercise. I had a rough patch going through a divorce, but you must take time out of the day to take time for you. It help me relax and take out my frustration on something else besides my hair. And don't forget prayer and meditation.