PDA

View Full Version : Natural Hair In Entertainment Industry

babygirlwoman
07-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi All,

I'm a transitioner (last perm march 05) seriously considering doing a bc like...NOW. (though I planned to transition for a year)

I will be graduating college in Dec '06 and plan to pursue my acting career seriously at that point. Family members are warning me that my hair is an asset in the industry and that if I cut it all off I'll be sabotoging my success.

I know what they're saying is partly true especially since prior to school I was in the industry and I am positive my hair was a contributing factor to me getting gigs, but...

the more my natural hair grows in the more I HATE my limp dry damaged permed hair. I dont know how I'd look with a twa or how adept i'd be at styling my hair once it starts to really grow, and I dont really care...but I do care about my future career.

I couldnt really think of any natural women in hollywood except for whoopie and a few women i know with dreads....

I guess what I really need is reassurance. I don't want to sabotoge my career (its hard enough for black females anyway) but I feel like letting go of this hair that just...isn't ME anymore.

Ugh

Thanks for listening.

D

sarobins
07-17-2005, 04:44 AM
I temp for a casting agent, and they are looking for natural looks everywhere. It depends on what you are trying to do in the industry, but hair is the least of your worries. If you are attractive and have talent you'll make it. If they don't want you with the hair you have they'll ask you to change it. All you have to do is say that you don't mind wearing a wig...cuz believe me white actresses/actors do it all the time. Stay up and stay positive. We need more images like yours in the industry. Don't let a hairstyle determine your confidence and you'll be just fine. Remember there was a time when Blacks were only just maids and nannies and there were those that stuck their necks out and branched into new territory. You can do it gurl!

yummyhoney06
07-29-2005, 03:17 AM
If you are ready to let go of your permed ends then let them go! You can always get a weave or wear a wig if the part calls for it.

I have noticed there is a nappy trend going on on television nowadays anyway.

Be blessed :afro: