PDA

View Full Version : Pj Challenge!

jtsupa
07-15-2005, 04:28 AM
:icon_headshake: Every week I go and by something new for my hair its like a viscous cycle I cash my pay check and run to the beauty supply, health food, store and or grocery store(these are all places were I can get my hit....I mean hair stuff)and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of spending my hard earned money on stuff that I don’t even use! I try something once and if makes my hair slightly suspect or dose not fit in to my regimen quite right I -will- not- use- it! Today I just bought $25 worth of eo's and aloe gel and I don’t know why...I just walked into the store pick them up and bought them with out need. I constantly walk into dollar stores to check out the conditioners and I don’t even do this consciously I'll be on the way to the grocery store.... for food and end up in the dollar store and then after that I'll go to the grocery and end up in the beauty isle or over by the cooking oil smuggling ... I mean checking out the olive oil.... What I'm trying to get at is that I have a problem yall and it needs to be stopped I need your help!
I propose a challenge No New Products besides those that you have used until the end of the jar/bottle etc.
List your usable products
For me that is fantasia I C gel, suave conditioners, elsta QP DRP, Dr. bronner Castile soap, glycerin, honey, coconut and olive oil which is all I actually need
List things you wasted my money on (if not all most that way you really get to see what you have done...I' m mean bought)
For me that is Fantasia IC Silky Tea Activator Gel, Elasta QP Feels Like Silk.... :huh: Shea butter, Jamaican mango lime cactus serum, S curl activator gel, Proclaim aloe gel, Sta sof fro gel, Sta sof fro spray, Citre shine gel, Citre shine nourishing hair milk leave in, Citre shine curling, creme, surge and the list goes on (selected items available for swap and sell pm me if interested...I'm only swapping for things on my usable product list or for those in the challenge things on there usable product list) which leads me to the third part of the challenge
GET RID OF IT by all means swap (for things you need) sell, give it a way, throw it away whatever it takes it has to be gone within two weeks!
State a personal challenge that is going to be really difficult to overcome concerning products
For me it is that they are opening a Carols Daughter on 125th street NYC soon...opps maybe I shouldn’t have let that one out the box (but the true Pj's know any way)
Hold on to one product that you can't bear to part with that you know you won't use, just as a reminder and........ dont use it!
I'm still deciding
Last but not least find a way to give your self some leeway for me it's gonna be changing up my suave conditioners and my dr.bronner soaps for example milk and honey for tropical coconut
Check in's are every month form date first posted every one is free to join rule an be tweaked as needed GOOD LUCK :D
Sorry for the long post and sorry for the typos if there are any its late and I'm tired

MissThing606
07-15-2005, 09:28 AM
ignore!

MissThing606
07-15-2005, 09:40 AM
I need to join this challenge! I have accumulated lots of things in the search for the holy grail product.

The things i have and plan to use up. (This could take me a month)
ORS uplifting shampoo - good for build-up and exfoliates the scalp. contains SLES and I can't decide whether to finish it or give it away.

ORS creamy aloe shampoo - give some moisture does have SLES but will finish it off.

Dax vegetable oil shampoo - very harsh stuff leftover from my braiding days. I plan to use it to clean my combs :) and never go back to it.

ORS softening shea butter - This upset my scalp so I've blended it with pure shea butter and only apply it my hair

ORS scalp scrub: I have a couple more applications to go then I'm done.

ORS hair mayo: It's not bad but I'm sure I can find a cheaper more effective conditioner; otherwise I have no qualms carrying on with it.

ORS olive oil cream: I haven't used it in while, as far as I could remember it was Ok. It does have a little bit of petroleum though.

Keepers:
ORS Olive oil lotion: very moisturising, love the smell, but it does have some of the 10 products to avoid, so I'm torn over whether to stop using it or not.

Sta-sof-fro spray: I use it once in while for extra moisture

DDTA: for no-poo I have about 2 bottles!

DDWL: ditto I (I have about 8 bottles)

Brand new things I havent even tried:
ORS scalp cleanser I only bought it for braids and long term styles when washing wouldn't be convenient. Now I've discovered no-poo I'm wondering if it's even necessary.
Kiehls silk hair groom (the cream) I was thinking it would be handy to smooth down the top when I wear puffs.
Kiehls leave in conditioner It's just a sample so I will just try it the once.
Kiehls moisturising condtioner sample even of it works I don't see myelf buying it, it's wayyy to expensive.
Elasta QP shampoo - brand new (bought in in NYC as it has no SLES) I haven't even broken it out. I'll try it and if it's good I'll stick to it.
Fantasia IC with sparkle-lites: I've heard good things about it and I saw a small sample when I was in a Brooklyn BSS so I grabbed it! I imagine it's a hair dress just like to Kiehls stuff. I just need to see which one is more effective and kinder to my hair.

Things I need to get a grip and junk:
Botanicals 3-in-1 scalp moisturiser: has petroleum and mineral, but I am addicted to the smell and the menthol tingle. Someone talk some sense into me!

Sunsilk hazelnut hair pomade: I love the citrus smell and even thought it contains mineral oil, it seems to go right into my scalp. It does nothing for my hair though, in fact it makes it crunchy

ORS fertilising serum: made my eczema flare up. I tried to persevere because I paid for that stuff but frankly I'd rather have the thin edges. (and that's saying something)

Things I need to give away:
ORS wrap and set mousse: my hair just doesn't like it!

ORS olive oil sheen: It’s just sheen, no more, no less.

You can tell that once upon a time I thought ORS was the ish! (Truth be told, I bought stuff on special offer at a hair show)

I also need to confess I am thinking of boots curl cream, and it's going to be a challenge because I pass Boots on my way to the gym! I've also given the local CD supplier my mobile number to ring me when she re-stocks. uh-oh, I have to pass that one up!

My final aim is to find some select few products that will work on my hair i.e. keep it moisturised and not contain harsh or toxic chemical.

I am also toying with the idea of mixing products and things once I've finished my hoards. I've begun lurking and posting on the homemade board.

MissThing606
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
bump

There has to be more than two PJs on NP! Unless, we are the only 2 that want to follow the 12 step -progam? :D

soblu2
07-15-2005, 09:25 PM
:blush: not alone
i'm there too
but i'm just one step ahead of you...
ya know it's after i bought a 40 oz bottle of conditionner ( without all the drying ingredients + a curl activator (curly pudding 'i know i know) + :blush:
+ doogroo oil that i thought i spend enough money on hair products

at that time( about a month ago) i had
olive oil
sweet almond oil
glycerin
dove leave-in conditionner
ic fantasia leave in (bought the same week as the dove)
st Ives peach conditionner( a week before the dove)

dark and lovely ultra cholesterol
motions cpr shampoo and conditionner

sta sof fro braid spray and braid food
ors carrot oil and olive oil
sulfur 8 locs twists and braids gel and oil

an african (ivorian yeah my country ) brand ( well this guy is from lebannon )
GARO HASBANIAN shampoo, hair mask(?) hair pommade styling foam, styling gel
african pride braid spray

i think thats all

no i have a bad chunk of shea butter, abd baking soda

Now:
i gave the ors's that don't get along with my hair
the sulfur8's, sta so fro, and african pride are on the way (1 week left or so i'll give 'em to my friends......

GARO HASBANIAN shampoo, hair mask(?) hair pommade styling foam, styling gel
dark and lovely, and the cpr conditionner are empty now
thanks to my BC i get rid of the dove

the st yves conditionner is almost empty ...... just one wash left

well the 40 oz cond will last a little longer maybe ( 'til october)

doo groo is on experiment so far so good

i don't know what i'll do with this
:Angry_boese008: curl activator

;)

jtsupa
07-16-2005, 01:30 AM
bump
yeah missthing there has got to be more pj's

KnappilyMe
07-16-2005, 06:19 PM
:shocker: :ph34r: :bolt:

mrsloh
07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Althought I am not that bad off just yet, I think now is the time to nip it in the bud before I go to far! I don't even put product in my hair on a daily basis -- my hair likes minimal much better -- so there is no reason for me to keep buying new things!
...I can relate to the fact that I am always hunting down something to buy that I don't need. I have regular olive oil that is less than 1/2 way gone and today I was going to buy a whole new bottle of extra virgin for my homemade shampoo.

Why? I have no idea. I am also guilty of going down the beauty isle in grocery store and makin unneeded trips to the health food store and beauty supply store to scope out new products. I will spend too much time reading the backs of labels when I don't even need any of the stuff.

I have a few products that I no longer use that I need to throw away from when I first became a nappy:

Doo Gro Hair Thickening Oil (contains frangrance and BHA)
Organic Stimulator JoJoba Oil (contains frangrance)
Carrot Oil (contains BHA)
Shea Oil (not 100% pure, contains fragrance and BHA)
African Pride Miracle Gro (contains, among lots of no-no's, fragrance and petroluem)
Herbal Essence Shampoo/Conditioner

Just off the top of my head here is what I have now:

Rosemary EO
Lavender EO
Almond Oil
Dr Bronners Castile Soap
Glycerin
Jojoba Oil
Olive Oil
Baking Soda
Lemon Juice
Distilled Water
Different Herbal Teas
Honey

So with that said, I am on the 12 step PJ wagon!

mrsloh
07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by soblu2@Jul 15 2005, 05:25 PM

i don't know what i'll do with this
:Angry_boese008: curl activator

;)

you could always make a visit to one of the curl activator posts and see if someone who uses it wants to swap with you :dunno:

Button2004
07-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I have cut all the way down to three products. No more, no less.

I have a review in my album. ^_^

Not really a challenge for me, I have been cutting down for a while now and I am finally down to what I want.

Reflection Journey
07-18-2005, 12:53 AM
The following items that i've purchase will be use on my face, body / hair. These items will be use for the next 6 month or until all gone..................

*Carrot -Tea Tree oil Therapy
*Aloe Vera Gel
*Black soap
*unrefined Shea butter
*honey
*olive oil
*castor oil
*baking soda
Mane Attraction
Sun Kissed
Coco de leche
Heavenly Hair Pudding
Silk Rose Elixir Leave in
Aveda Elixir leave in
Green Tea Herbal leave in
Suave

For i'm not a product junkie :dunno: some of these product have multiple tasking :D.I always use up the product i've purchased before buying any other ones. My problem is i tend to get bored quick & I need to come up with a routine that is best suited for me during the winter months and summer months. I know i'll be keeping the ones with the *** :wub: . Besides a girl need to get pamper every now and then right!!!! Thats the only way you'll fing out if a product work is by trying them. Give it aleast a good month to see result.

Pokahontas
07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I would like to join. I'm just hoping that I'm not a hopeless case. For the past week (I know, not long) maybe week and a half :blush: , I've been tryin to use up some of my products cuz I'm sick of seeing them and they are everywhere! I love when I finally empty a bottle and I get to throw it in the trash....but soon after I'm thinkin I need to buy something else. I'm trying so hard to resist buying Pantene's new hydrating curls hair mask. I so need help. :help:

Anyways, some products I'm trying to use up are...
Queene Helene cholesterol with Ginsing
Lekair cholesterol plus
Softee cholesterol
ORS Hair Mayonaise
Cholesterol with Placenta and Jojoba oil
Pantene relaxed and natural
Dove frizz serum
Doo Gro
Various gels and oils
Various detanglers

These are just a few off the top of my head. There's plenty more where that came from. :(

mystationwagon
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I am joining. I started looking at my finances from last year and realized that I spent $1811.74 on hair care alone.

The following are the products that I have to use up:
1) 1 1/2 bottles of Qhemet Olive & Honey Hydration Balm
2) 16 oz of Castor Oil
3) 1/2 bottle of Elasta QP Intensive Conditioner
3) 1/2 bottle of Elasta QP shampoo
4) 1 full jar of Le Kair Cholesterol Plus - kinda scared to use this because of the mineral oil
5) bottle of Lamaur Bone Marrow
6)1 jar of Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade
7)Sample of Blended Beauty hair oil
8) Sample of Blended beauty Curl Quenching Conditioner
9)Sample of Curly Frizz Pudding
10)Sample of Curls Euphoria Elixir
11)Sample of Kynk Hair Honey
12)Sample of Curls Milk Shake
13)Sample Curls Coconut Sublime Moisture max Conditioner
14) Sample of Blended Beauty Kick for Curls
15) Sample of Curls Curlicious Curl Cleansing Cream
16) Sample of Curls Ecstacy hair Tea Conditioner
17) Sample of Blended Beauty Cleansing Conditioner
18) Sample of Curls Souffle
19) one small sample of Shea-what

That's it. I have resolved not to purchase anything until I use up all of these items. I bought a lot of the samples from My Sistas place because I had to have them. I need to look them up again, so I can figure out their uses.

The only item I am really worrying about running out of is the Qhemet's Olive Oil & Honey Hydration balm. I use this daily and add it to any conditioning treatment I make. The other items I'll just make do. Great challenge!

NaturaLei
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I definitely need to join this challenge!!

PRODUCTS THAT I USE AND NEED TO FINISH BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING ELSE

4 lbs of Unrefined Shea Butter
1 lb of Raw Cocoa Butter
16 oz Amla Oil
16 oz Jojoba Oil
16 oz Castor Oil
16 oz Sweet Almond Oil
16 oz Coconut Oil
8 oz Vatika Oil
2 oz Orange Essential Oil
2 oz Rosemary Essential Oil
CVS Pure Glycerin
Potassium Sorbate (preservative)
Suave Humectant Conditioner
Sta Sof Fro Hair & Scalp Spray Extra Dry
Elentee Moisturizer Curl & Wave Spray
Dark and Lovely Naturally Citrus Braid & Sheen Spray
Elentee Moisture Control Lotion
Elasta QP Mango Butter
ApHOGEE Two-Step Protein Treatment
ApHOGEE Balancing Moisturizer
Ampro Pro Styl Protein Styling Gel
BB Pump it Up! Gold Styling Spritz
Proclaim Natural 7 Oil with Olive Oil

PRODUCTS I’M STILL EVALUATING

Fantasia ic Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites
Infusium 23 Original Leave In Treatment
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Biologics Sidr Tree Butter Balm
Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Hair Tea Soft Hold Gel
Oyin Handmade Greg Juice
Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding
Oyin Handmade Shine & Define Coaxing Serum
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner

SAMPLES I OWN THAT NEED TO BE USED UP

Sunsilk De-Frizz Conditioner
Sunsilk De-Frizz 24/7 Creme
Dove Advanced Color Care Shampoo
Dove Advanced Color Care Conditioner
Dove Advanced Color Care Radiance Enhancing Treatment
At One With Nature Leave-In Conditioner
Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion
Herbal Essences Intensive Blends Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo
Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner
Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo
Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Conditioner
Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer
Elasta QP Reflect Sheen Spray (2)

PRODUCTS THAT I NEED TO GET RID OF

Herbal Essence Degunkify Shampoo
Mizani Botanifying Conditioning Shampoo
Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo
Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine Leavin-In Conditioning Cream
Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Breakage Defense Detangling Leave-in Creme
Samy Salon Systems Instant Recurl (2 of these)
Cristophe Beverly Hills Hydrating Curl Balm
Cristophe Beverly Hills Hydrating Curl Spray
Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Oil Cream Moisturizer
Hollywood Beauty Olive Crème Hairdress
Kemi Oyl All Natural Hair Oil
Jamaica Mango & Lime Locking Gel
BB Growth Serum
Frizz-Ease Extra-Strength Formula Hair Serum
Frizz-Ease DownPlay Volume Reducer

IT MAY SEEM LIKE A LOT BUT ALL OF THE ABOVE PRODUCTS TOTAL ALMOST 200 DOLLARS. I AM NO LONGER ALLOWED TO BUY ANYMORE PRODUCTS UNTIL I HAVE USED THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

PRAY FOR ME!!!

Cerendipity
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
bummp :bolt:

tlwnurse
07-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Bumping for updates.