PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 8 yr olds hair

mama31
11-03-2003, 04:55 AM
I really need advice on my daughters hair, she is 8 and her hair is very thick and uneven, I think the uneven edges are from the products I used before on her hair. Not knowing any better! Until I found this site: }! We have discussed the big chop with her, and she wants to keep her length,but is cutting the only way her hair will be healthy again ? A few people I have spoke to have suggested braiding her hair. So im at a loss of what to do right now, I could really use some good advice.Oh yea right now the products I use on her hair are Suave Kids Cherry Blast Shampoo, Go Go Grape Conditioner, Wonder 8 oil, and pcj detangling spray. :-?

rockinlocs
11-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Hi Mama31,

My oldest daughter was relaxed at age 5 up until around age 7 or so. When I decided to allow her hair to be natural, I did not do a big chop on her. Instead, I trimmed about an inch or so off every month and just kept her hair styled in those multiple ponytails with the hair baubles and barrettes; twists; braids (her own hair, no extensions as her hair was pretty long); and cornrows.

Once her new growth grew to be about a good 7 to 8 inches long, I then cut the remaining relaxer off.

Be aware that with transitioning, there is a line of demarcation and at that point, the natural hair (the longer it gets) begins to overtake the relaxed ends and they may begin to break off. Keep her hair well conditioned and moisturized and care for her natural hair using natural means as opposed to caring for relaxed hair.

ETA: Now, you mentioned uneven edges? Are you referring to her hair line? This could be from the chemicals and possibly from her hair being styled too tightly (?) She probably could use a good trim, though for uneveness in length.

I offer a hair care ebook for little girls that may be of help to you: http://herspecialhair.com/hsh/index.htm if you're interested in checking it out.

babygurl
11-04-2003, 06:44 PM
My recomedations are Kemi Products.. I used them in my 5 yr old and 10 mo old. I love these products and I stated every time I post! :amour
Also I don't think you daughter will like it very much to have here hair cut short. Try cornrows with her own hair (s fake hair can some times cause more damage) and single ponytails. Interchange the styles every week. (in order to give the hair a break form the braids). This help my 5 yr old hair bounce back within 3 weeks... (although I never relaxed her hair) Also stay away from product that have alcohol (like you haven't heard this before....) If you want to research products online before going to the store to make a purchase check out this web site....
ULTA - research products and ingerdients... (http://www.ulta.com)
HTH!!!!! :rainfro

PatienceIsMyVirtue
11-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Babygurl,

Thanks for sharing the ULTA link. I was looking for a site with ingredients so I would not have to read bottles in the store.

Dolliesdaughter
11-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Once that hair is damaged or you have split ends there is NO way to repair them. The only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. I would say as suggested above to keep her hair braided and cut off the ends once a month. Please remember that split ends can travel up the hair shaft and they will be never ending. My suggestion is to cut maybe 3 inches off then every other month cut off an inch until all the relaxer is gone. You don't want to go through all this work and her natural hair has split ends.

mama31
11-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! :thumbsup