PDA

View Full Version : Hair Breakage From burning the hair straight Comb

Jivon
07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Two weeks ago I burnt my own hair with a flaming hot tool of hair torture. Needless to say, there is breakage on the top and right side. My twists were looking cute before the burning the hair straight comb. Now the right and top areas look patchy when twisted. The breakage isn't visible when I wear an afro. My hair is 3-4 inches stretched. I am contemplating getting it cut off again and starting over. I have started the no-poo, shea butter, etc treatments. Also, I began spraying my hair with water/shea butter mixture 3 times a day. Please let me know if proper care from this point will help eliminate breakage and stimultate growth, OR do I need to get my hair cut-off again?
Jivon

Jazitones
07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Welcome to NP... :D Your burnt hair issue is a common problem and others may tell you to just wait and your hair will probably snap back. If you already see breakage then you best bet is to chop those ends off and start over again.

Also you can use the search function on this board and check out the many threads that have already been discussed burnt hair issues. :)

Only1biancab
07-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Your hair hasn't stopped growing just because you have breakage. So you can set that problem aside because it's not one [a problem]. The way to stop breakage is to stop doing the thing(s) that cause it. For me, that's headbands. So I stopped using them and my edges are looking good again. For you, you should stay away from the press.ing stuff. Since it's breakage, what's damaged is gone. So just take care of what's left. You'll be fine.

You didn't say anything about texture-changing problems because of press.ing, so I assume that's not a problem. At least I hope it's not.
:)

Jivon
07-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Thank you for your advice.

My hair texture has not changed, it is still dry, brittle, and tightly coiled. I burnt my hair once just to see how it would look. I will not do that again...I learned my lesson the hard way.

I have been natural for 17 months and my length is only 4 inches. I really wasn't taking care of my hair, I just assumed it would grow beautifully without much care. I have two boys and they don't fuss over their hair and it grows nicely. Seven months ago I started wearing a wig regularly, thinking that my hair needs a break and would grow faster. Oh, was I wrong! I have learned a lot about natural hair care since visiting napputarility. I am commited to taking my hair care seriously.

Jivon

detshorty05
07-19-2005, 03:13 AM
If you've tried everything, the best bet 1st would be to cut it all off. Your 2nd best bet is to throw away your burning the hair straight flat comb so that you wont be tempted by it again. Good luck with your hair