PDA

View Full Version : Goapele

ini
11-05-2003, 03:52 AM
O.k. I JUST discovered Goapele and, even though i have no clue how to pronounce her name, I'm hooked! THEN I find out she had the nicest head of locs....it's a two-for-one ya'll: great music, great style!

Who's rocking Goapele? (oh and how do you pronounce her name?)

KinkyCoils
11-05-2003, 03:58 AM
I heard of her name, but haven't heard the music. Now I must check it out. Thanks for a heads up :app

blumoonbabe
11-05-2003, 04:27 AM
I'm feeling her! I don't own the album yet ( but I've DL'd some tracks) and I plan on copping the entire cd before the year is out, if I don't get it as a gift first :-cre

ReddyLoques
11-05-2003, 05:05 AM
That sista is THE TRUTH.. lol.. One of my best cd purchases this year.. My fav songs on there are Romantic, Catch 22, Ease your mind, Things dont exist, Salvation, Back to you

She's like a mix of sade, jill scott, and amel larreaux.. Can't go wrong with that right.. and she's such a pretty sista too (I think she's south african)..

Her name is prounced Guah-poo-lay.. Lawd knows I've been screwing her name up but the homies finally set me straight on it..

Check her website and you can preview the entire cd.. http://www.goapele.com/flash/home.html .. Every single song is on there.

She had a video for catch 22, but its not like it got any airtime, BET SUCKS A BIG FAT ONE.. I saw it at like 2 in the morning one night by mistake, half sleep, at the end of some entertainment weekly show..

and for the downloaders out there.. she's got a song with the hip hop group Heiroglyphics called Sowetto(not on the cd) .. damnnnn i luv that joint.

Sekhmet
11-05-2003, 05:10 AM
Been carrying this one from the house to the car to the gym and back again for months.

ini
11-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Dang thanks! I've been saying 'Go-A-pell' :-cre

My favorite song is Closer....Heiroglyphics is JUST NICE!

I have to give her a straigt :app :app :app

tdrmaquillage
11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
she's got a song with the hip hop group Heiroglyphics called Sowetto(not on the cd) .. damnnnn i luv that joint. I saw that video the other day. That was hot. I dig her. I think she's one to watch definitely. I saw her at an In Store here in L.A. and I look forward to seeing her live.

- Tania :rainfro

Hypnotizze
11-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Wow - you people have good taste! I love this cd. I've had it since early this year and still play it regularly

LotsOfLocs
11-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Yea, got the CD a year ago, still listening.

AKAHLF
11-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Her name is pronounced wah-pay-lay

I'm going to get this CD - I hear it on the radio on Sundays when they play Neo-soul music. I love the erthiness of her voice.

DreamyNaps
11-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Oh my goodness!! This cd is banging...I brought it like two weeks ago...and haven't stop playing it between Meshell's new cd, Anthony Hamilton, and of course Erykah's. I also love #1 Closer, #4 Romatic, and #6 Catch 22. I'm cable deprived so I have never seen any of her videos, but I found out about her after I heard her on Morgan State's radio station. I went to her website and was impressed!!! Her cd has been out for awhile...I'm just mad I didn't find out about her sooner. We need good music like this!!!
:app :app

nappdiva
11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
"WELL IT'S A CATCH-22.....DAMMED IF I DON'T DAMMED IF I DO".....OOPS!! Caught me singing again.... :lol

I have to tell you....everytime I played this CD and had company come over, they had to have it. So they bought if off me. I've replaced this CD 7 times! Goapele is fabulous! I saw her at SOB's a while back. Sounds great even in person!

pookeylou
11-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Oh...my...goodness...I am listening to the album from her web site...banging...DANG...another CD I got to go get!!!

nappylicious
11-06-2003, 02:54 AM
I play her cd every day...This is one of the few cd's I can listen to without skipping a song. :duck

permfreen2003
11-06-2003, 03:57 AM
OMG I checked out the website and I will be running to get the CD this weekend. The whole CD is OFF THE HOOK!! :app :app

ini
11-07-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by nappylicious@Nov 5 2003, 10:54 PM
I play her cd every day...This is one of the few cd's I can listen to without skipping a song. :duck
you know! i was thinking the same thing the other day. i like ALL the songs EVERY time i listen...and that just doesn't happen
:app

*SupaSista*
11-07-2003, 02:17 AM
she is hott....
i been looking for th cd for about a month now...
it's sold out here...
she is the best...
and BUTTERFLYKISSES.... IS MY JOINT!!!

PEACE

candigirl
11-08-2003, 01:29 AM
I kept seeing her cd in best buy, but I never picked it up, after reading everyone's comments about it and going to her website, I went out and bought it today, I must say it's one of my best cd purchases this year.
thanks to everybody who gave it :app

rkj223
11-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Great CD. Just thought I'd add on to the GoapeleLuv.

Brit
11-13-2003, 08:45 PM
dag, i think dreamyb and lotsoflocs put me onto her like a year ago and i have had the album ever since. i am finnicky about music, but i LOVE her CD and play at least once a day. Catch 22 is what made me want it. but now, i think butterfluykisses is my favorite

Artsyblack
11-14-2003, 07:47 AM
I picked the cd up about a year ago when it was on an indepedent label.

Butterflykisses is my favorite.

Evolution19
11-24-2003, 06:35 AM
I was just browsing through Tower Records one day and her cover sparked my interest. I am not usually an impulse buyer like that, but it turned out to be a great purchase. I love her album...her name is pronounced G0-APA-LAY :thumbsup

JustAnAngel
11-24-2003, 02:58 PM
She's like a mix of sade, jill scott, and amel larreaux.. Can't go wrong with that right.. and she's such a pretty sista too (I think she's south african)..

Ditto! I LOVE her music!!! :app :app :app

Nappalonia
11-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Yep she tight! I don't have the CD yet but I listen to it on the computer all the time.

luvmylocs
11-25-2003, 11:45 PM
I just love Nappturality, Thanks to you all I'm in the know! I had never heard of this sistah. I just listened to the samples on her site, and all I can say is WOW!!! I'm getting this CD TO-DAY!!! I sent the link to all my girlfriends. I love her sound! I'm so happy to hear something fresh. Radio has gotten so bad, I've resorted to listening to either news-radio or classical while driving.

Thanks again! Peace.

SouthernShorty
11-26-2003, 05:21 AM
I didn't know she had a cd out so I'll be checking for that, but I like what I've heard on Raphael Saadiq's All Hits at the House of Blues track 3 on disc 2, Different Times.

troublefunk
11-26-2003, 07:28 PM
I'm wondering why I'm just hearing about her now. I checked out her site and heard bits of her music and it's off the hook. Why am I so late?? I gots to have this one. I'll order it online if I have to but I'm gonna try to find it locally first.

letshiri
11-26-2003, 07:56 PM
ok, ok sistahs let me just say this:
her name is tswana, i am tswana, so i'll let everybody know how to say her name:
you know the 'ja' in Baja, as in the spanish word? baja california?
so you say the 'g' the way you would say the 'j' in baja. then it's
go-AA-pele. it's like a rough, throaty 'h'.

and ain't she gorgeous?!!!