PDA

View Full Version : Heat Styling...



babygirlwoman
08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Besides drying your hair out, what else does this do to your natural hair?

I think I read someone say that it ruins your natural curls, I just don't get how.

If this is an 'illegal' post, sorry, and would someone just PM me the answer?

Thanks

liberationtheory
08-07-2005, 10:57 PM
if u go to the articles section, you'll find a lot of info about what heat actually does to your hair and how it can have irreversible damage. i'm going to go get the exact link for you.

hth

eta: here's dee's info about heat damage article (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408)

vinny_46
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
How many times?! :o

How many? :dunno:

liberationtheory
08-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Aug 7 2005, 06:00 PM
How many times?! :o

How many? :dunno:

952947



only fiftyleventeen

vinny_46
08-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by libertyacc+Aug 7 2005, 03:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-vinny_46@Aug 7 2005, 06:00 PM
How many times?! :o

How many? :dunno:

952947



only fiftyleventeen

952950
[/b]

These threads are like those zombies in Dawn of the Dead. :lol:

They just keep on coming. :unsure:

Only1biancab
08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, this one&#39;s going to get locked.

Before it does, I&#39;ll link you to something that will tell you about heat:
Heat Damage (http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_73.htm)

Oh and answer to your question, before it&#39;s too late. Heat, if hot enough, melts the outer layer of your hair--the cuticle. Once that layer is melted, your hair will not be able to let water (moisture) in nor out. It can&#39;t hold on to any of the water it has, it&#39;s like an old sponge. Therefore, deep conditioning and all the treatments in the world won&#39;t return it to its shape. I think that the only hair type with a flattened cuticle is straight hair. And that&#39;s how the hair will stay [straight] if it gets hot enough.

I really, really don&#39;t suggest it.

babygirlwoman
08-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Thanks ladies.
shocked this hasnt yet been closed.
I guess what i should have asked is does heat styling make ur curl pattern straighter...
this really started because of a discussion with one of my friends about those heat protecting sprays on tha market
a natural friend of mine i dont know her hair type 123abc whatever, but her curls are super loose, like...ananda lewis type.
well she was saying that her hair was getting straighter from blow drying it daily and that the heat protecting sprays were preventing that from happening anymore.
I didnt get it, but i&#39;m pretty dumb about hair so i just believed it.

anyways thanks for the article links and sorry for being the fiftytwelfth.

liberationtheory
08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by babygirlwoman@Aug 7 2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks ladies.
shocked this hasnt yet been closed.
I guess what i should have asked is does heat styling make ur curl pattern straighter...
this really started because of a discussion with one of my friends about those heat protecting sprays on tha market
a natural friend of mine i dont know her hair type 123abc whatever, but her curls are super loose, like...ananda lewis type.
well she was saying that her hair was getting straighter from blow drying it daily and that the heat protecting sprays were preventing that from happening anymore.
I didnt get it, but i&#39;m pretty dumb about hair so i just believed it.

anyways thanks for the article links and sorry for being the fiftytwelfth.

953005


i can speak from experience that if u apply too much heat (although the general rule of thumb is that any heat is too much), it can permanently alter your hair pattern. i used to be one of those "natural but burnt" women when i was in college and my hair was just straight and limp as a result.

dont apologize for asking questions. that&#39;s the only way that you&#39;ll get info. there are a lot of great articles in the article section that you should peruse b/c it really is great info and may answer a lot of questions that you have.

good luck with your journey!

MotherLand
08-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Dang, I&#39;m transitioning and to make it all blend in I used low heat on the ceramic flat flaming hot tool of hair torture, what have I done?! The damage probably is&#39;nt that bad. (Only the 2nd time in about a month.) :mellow: :o :unsure: :wacko: :ph34r:

Only1biancab
08-08-2005, 02:03 AM
I could see how that could happen to HER. All hair (all hair types) have cuticles. Cuticles is the outer layer of the hair. Cuticles on straight hair are generally flat and cuticles on curly hair are generally raised. Well anyways, let me work my way around to my point. Looser hair types ( (I mean like straight and wavy) have a more flattened cuticle, which means they don&#39;t let much in. They don&#39;t let much out. If you add sebum and the heat protectant, which is basically oil, that adds more protection than just the cuticle could give. So in a way, heat protectants can help HER hair type. BUT heat is not suggested for ANY hair type, especially not nappy hair. Nappy hair tends to have a thin cuticle in some areas and our cuticles are generally raised. (That explains why we get sheen instead of shine.) It&#39;s not good for ANY hair type, but especially not nappy hair.

Then again, she could be completely wrong [and it&#39;s not helping]. And I wouldn&#39;t count that doubt out yet. I don&#39;t get why she was blow drying it everyday in the first place, she asking for straight hair. If she wants it, she&#39;s going to get it..and that&#39;s not all she&#39;ll get (i.e. major damage)

republicrat
08-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Get it cut very low and avoid all the worries.

Only1biancab
08-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by republicrat@Aug 7 2005, 08:36 PM
Get it cut very low and avoid all the worries.

953097

:lol: :lol: :lol:
She didn&#39;t do anything.

Niya
08-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by MotherLand@Aug 7 2005, 07:45 PM
Dang, I&#39;m transitioning and to make it all blend in I used low heat on the ceramic flat flaming hot tool of hair torture, what have I done?! The damage probably is&#39;nt that bad. (Only the 2nd time in about a month.) :mellow: :o :unsure: :wacko: :ph34r:

953035


instead of trying to make your new growth look like your re.laxed hair, make the re.laxed look like the new. - twistouts, braidouts, rollerset


why should this thread get closed? It&#39;s just asking/answering what heat does.

Only1biancab
08-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Niya@Aug 7 2005, 08:43 PM
why should this thread get closed? It&#39;s just asking/answering what heat does.

953106

That one about Maxiglide was just asking a question, too. And that dude was locked. *scratches my head* I don&#39;t know how they pick em, but they do.
:dunno:

republicrat
08-08-2005, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Only1biancab+Aug 7 2005, 06:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-republicrat@Aug 7 2005, 08:36 PM
Get it cut very low and avoid all the worries.

953097

:lol: :lol: :lol:
She didn&#39;t do anything.

953105
[/b]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You missed it. ;)

I keep my hair low cut; THEREFORE, I avoid all of the hassles and worries that many people post about here. I was mentioning another option. When I first read the OP, I comprehended clearly that she had not put the heat to her hair--yet. My post says you could just keep it very low cut and you won&#39;t have to worry about heat styling and potential damage, knotting up, not knowing how to get that style, etc. HTH. :lol:

Niya
08-08-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by republicrat+Aug 7 2005, 08:49 PM-->

Originally posted by Only1biancab@Aug 7 2005, 06:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-republicrat@Aug 7 2005, 08:36 PM
Get it cut very low and avoid all the worries.

953097

:lol: :lol: :lol:
She didn&#39;t do anything.

953105

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You missed it. ;)

I keep my hair low cut; THEREFORE, I avoid all of the hassles and worries that many people post about here. I was mentioning another option. When I first read the OP, I comprehended clearly that she had not put the heat to her hair--yet. My post says you could just keep it very low cut and you won&#39;t have to worry about heat styling and potential damage, knotting up, not knowing how to get that style, etc. HTH. :lol:

953117
[/b]

oooh, i thought that&#39;s what you might be saying, but you&#39;d be surprised how many people here make having a twa difficult. :huh:

@ biana, i remember that thread. weird.

Only1biancab
08-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I missed it.

1ntellect: Because I refuse to call you by your new name, JK. I like threads about why not to heat straighten in the first place better than "woe is me" threads.

MissThing606
08-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by babygirlwoman@Aug 7 2005, 11:41 PM
Besides drying your hair out, what else does this do to your natural hair?

I think I read someone say that it ruins your natural curls, I just don&#39;t get how.

If this is an &#39;illegal&#39; post, sorry, and would someone just PM me the answer?

Thanks

952941


Here&#39;s my experience:
Heat damage from blow-drying (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57499)

Niya
08-08-2005, 05:11 AM
lol @ bianca&#39;s refusal

Moderator W
08-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the great advice ladies.

Closed since the question was answered.