PDA

View Full Version : Time it takes to see if product works

elani75
02-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Hi all.

I just thought of something while deciding which new product to try for my hair this time. I am quite a Product Junkie and the decision can be trying because I have a lot to choose from (LOL!!). Anyway, while deciding on which shampoo/conditioner to use this time around, I started thinking about how long I should give the product to see if it is actually working. All this thinking prompted this thread. I would like to know, especially from all PJs, how long do you use a product before you start to see noticeable results? A week? A month? More? How long do you schedule yourself to use it? Or do you even set a timetable for a product? I usually just use and do the wait-and-see thing.

Some products work immediately and the difference is seen right away. Other product results take longer and some never show. If you don't get results, do you stop using it or do you continue until it's all gone?

These are just some thoughts and questions. Holla back. ;) I'm really interested in knowing how you guys approach this. Thanks.

-e

jazzypom
02-13-2003, 10:12 AM
for conditioners, i usually expect results within the first two uses. If they dont work, i will mix them with oils as a base for a deep treatment. Its all money, and i dont play.

For shampoos, if they dont work within the first two uses well, i use em for washing clothes or underwear.

If the products that i dont buy work (like conditioners ) i mix them together with olive oil and glycerin.

HTH!

GalaxyGirl2010
02-13-2003, 05:18 PM
For conditioners and deep conditioners I expect to see/ feel difference in 2-3 washes

for leave ins and gels and pomades, i think it should be immediate

If a conditioner doesnt work Ill keep using it until Ive used it all
if a leave-in/gel/pomade doesnt work then i want use it again

narcissaqtpie
02-13-2003, 09:04 PM
Styling aids/leave-ins/deep conditioners: I have to have immediate results.

If I find I dont like them, I put them away to try in the future-then dispose if they still dont work. If they totally suck after the first use I trade em or chuck them

Conditioners/shampoos: 2-3 tries

TIP FOR AVOIDING MISTAKES: I always open the product before I buy it to check the following:
1. Smell-if it's stinky I put it back on the shelf
2. Consitency-I can sometimes tell how it's going to feel on my hair by the texture of the item. I have a different standard for each type of product. I take a small dab and rub it between my fingers or on the back of my hand (you gotta know how your hair reacts to different stuff tho)
3. Ingredients-I'm not stuck on avoiding bad stuff, but if 'comes, Alcohol, Petroleum or Oil is/are one of the first 5-6 ingredients I usually pass.

Sometimes I am embarrased when people pass by when I'm scrutinizing a product, but I have to do this to avoid being wasteful. :oops:

elleebeme5
02-14-2003, 01:29 PM
I give shampoos a long time but I haven't changed now in months and don't see a need to (unless I find a great clarifying shampoo - LOL).

With conditioners, I can tell after one wash if it's going to work well. If it's horrible, I'll just throw it out. If it's acceptable, I'll use it till it's gone. But again, I think I'm through searching (except for that Dove stuff that seems interesting - LOL).

I gave pomades and daily stuff awhile to work, 2-3 weeks. But I've settled on my products there too (unless I decide to try the Kemi Oil Shea Butter Pomade - LOL.)

what can I say?

scurrie
02-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I give shampoos and conditioners a few weeks to kick in. For style aids I usually know pretty much how well it will work by the 1st 2 times. I except immediate result.

strawwberryz
02-14-2003, 09:20 PM
About a month...

Dee Dee Russell
02-16-2003, 05:06 AM
Since I'm a no poo'er, I give conditioners a trial run,
one time is all it takes for me to know what my hair likes,
for instance recently I tried Dove's conditoner for color treated hair...
it was 'aight but not better than my regulars...
thus the remaining Dove will be mixed
with my suave coconut with rosemary oil/olive oil mixture.

CEE26
02-16-2003, 05:51 PM
i don't use shampoos..(no poo)

washing w/conditioners..right way i see a difference..i used various difference kinds

deep conditioners..i have to see a difference in the first or two tries..if i don't like it..i put it back on my shelf and have it sit there for awhile..if i bring it out..i'll add some olive oil to it..i have about 6 differet jars sitting

leave in's..to keep using..it has to make a big statement after the first used

styling products..better make a difference the first time..i a couple just sitting around

nubian indigo
02-16-2003, 06:54 PM
narcissaqtpie...totally feeling the run down... :D but I do run from 'straight up' alchohol / petroleum / varnish types / etc. completely...once I recognize... :shock:

CONDITIONERS -- expect immediate results...no compromise...I will not buy it again if it does not make my hair oh soooo wonderfully soft on the first rinse.

SHAMPOOS -- expect immediate results as well...must make my hair and scalp refreshed and clean...hair must not feel dryed out or 'squeaking' on the first application / rinse.

RINSES / TREATMENTS -- expect immediate results as well

SCALP OIL -- expect immediate results for my senses (moisturizing without greasy feel / clogged pore maker - YUCK :P ) and obviously keeps my scalp moisturized all through the night / day - opting for a moisturized feel and look for my scalp for at least 3 days after application if I choose to not re-moisturize.

And if I am combating itchies...it has GOT to work immediately...for sure.

HAIR BUTTER -- expect immdeiate results...soft, manageable, comb through for styling ease.

STYLING PRODUCTS / HAIR HONEY'S -- expect immediate results...whatever I bought it to do for me 8)

**with follow-up tesing after the next wash...should have no build up, flakes, itchies, clogged up pores, etc. **

So in total it takes about a good week - or - a complete wash and wear cycle to know that it's for me

Even though I do expect a lot from my products on the intial use...I do realize that optimum results usually take place after continuous use. So if I believe that my hair is doing GREAT in the beginning then it (my hair) should be MARVELOUS in the weeks following...just like any good regimen...

HTHYO...:D

ETA: Typo's

nubian indigo
02-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Also wanted to add that I Do Use Everything Up in One Way or Another...No Matter What...lol

Even if I don't plan on buying it again, I will make good use of what I have...I have been making much more careful and thoughtful buys these days so that I can avoid that fate though... :D This is still money...

Azure
02-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm.....good question.

Shampoos: one wash, two at the most (I probably won't be looking for one right now because I'm on modified no-poo and Creme of Nature is working great right now)

Conditioners: same as shampoos, I have little patience

Leave-ins: Must work immediately or ELSE!....else they get banished to the back of the bathroom cabinet to try again in a couple months.

Also, I try to try one different product at a time to make sure it is THAT product and not something different I am trying in my routine. For example, I tried the CD Hair Milk the same night I made a new, thicker glycerin/water/conditioner mix and my hair was softer and 'sheenier' (is that even a word, LOL). Later I realized that I tried two different things in the same night, so next time I washed I just used the spray and got the same results. Oh well, I'll try the Hair Milk again when my hair grows some more or my regular routine starts to fail me.

HTH!

Maestradiva77
02-18-2003, 06:36 PM
I give shampoos and conditioners a few weeks to kick in. For style aids I usually know pretty much how well it will work by the 1st 2 times. I except immediate result.

Same here.

Keepitnatural
02-18-2003, 07:28 PM
When I purchase and use a product example conditioner for the first time I will expect to see results from the first use with hair pomades usually within the first 2 uses. I shouldn't have to wait weeks to tell.