PDA

View Full Version : Starting Your Own Business

startingover
08-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Has anyone started a business (something in the area of restaurant or catering business)? I'm trying to find out around about how much the start up cost is. Has anyone ever gotten a grant?

mochalocks
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by startingover@Aug 17 2005, 02:43 AM
Has anyone started a business (something in the area of restaurant or catering business)? I'm trying to find out around about how much the start up cost is. Has anyone ever gotten a grant?

you might want to do some research, on the business you want to start. Look for networking websites, and connect with other people. ryze.com is a good one. And no, i didn't take out a grant.

original_sarafina
08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by startingover@Aug 17 2005, 07:43 AM

This question is too vague to merit a real response. That being said, here's what I can tell you.

I personally haven't started a restaurant business but expect the start-up costs to be pretty high. $500k+ for a restaurant isn't unusual. This is fairly cheap for most restaurant franchises.

Catering can definitely be started on a smaller scale though.

Visit the following website-Business Plans (http://www.bplans.com). They have alot of sample plans and perhaps the restaurant/catering ones can give you an example of costs you may face while starting up this business.

Most grants i've seen didn't cater to the food industry. (Government grants) usually are usually given for researching emerging or weakened industries in order to stimulate growth and development.

Don't forget to look to family, friends and financiers (bank) to finance this venture.

Also google catering or restaurant business and maybe you can find a couple of message boards with people who are already business owners. Goodluck!

Trula
08-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I agree with original_sarafina, you are going to need a substantial amount of money and will porbably not be able to get a grant. Grants are usually for non-profits and/or the artistic/creative fields. However I do think you could probably start a restaurant for much lower than $500, 000. I've been in many small restaurants that I know the owners didn't have half a mill when they started. In addition to the resources do more research! If you are not sure how to do this go to the librry and ask the librarians. they can point you to books and other resources that will help you with starting costs and other info.

intelsis
08-23-2005, 08:53 AM
also check if your town has a small business center

at ours there is a wealth of information

Lokii
08-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Do your research find out who/what the small business owner resources are in your community. There could be programs that will help you - e.g. maybe there is an area in your town that is under revitalization and funding could be available for small business owners. Not saying that there would or wouldn't be but you don't know unless you look into it. If there's a community development organization in your area that could be a place to start - and of course use the internet. You might find working with a sba mentor helpful (sba.gov) - states and localities usually also have similar programs.

Think creatively about grant funding. Yes many are for things like social services and the creative areas - but suppose your catering company provided meals for elderly or disabled people - that's a social service. It pays to keep you eye on grants.gov - because you never know what may open up that you're eligible for.

Where there's a will there's a way. Just research, research, research before you get started. All newbies make mistakes and you live and learn - but the more you know going in the more money you'll save.

hth

kutemommie
08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
We are thinking of starting a business as well! The ladies here gave you good information and I am writing what they said as I type. Good Luck!

vicchnu
08-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, it depends on what type of biz you're trying to start. A consulting biz will not cost more than some stationary and biz cards. if you are carrying a product then there are some substantial cost.

Kinkes
09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
BR

nappdiva
09-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Also, check out "How to start a homebased catering business" By Denise Vivaldo. Not only does she tell you how to start at home, but how to branch out into rented space for your business. My sister swears by her book and I have had 2 other friends do well using info from this book. One has her own restaurant in Harlem.