PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Food

mochalocks
08-18-2005, 02:48 PM
I noticed when I went on vacation in Costa Rica back in March, a Meal was not included. They had meals, but we had to pay for them. $5-$10 for a bagel. But, they did give us just some little snacks and a juice. Anyone, else experience this on an airline they've traveled on?

I've been hearing that if the plane ride is 5 hours or less, then we do not get a meal.

lydicarol
08-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Yes, it's true. I always try to grab a sandwich or something beforehand. Usually when I purchase a ticket, I check to see if food will be served and then prepare for it.

KhymFree
08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
When i travel out west (i live in Georgia) they usually pass out a meal (a little package) that consists of crackers with cheese, some desert and i forget what else is in the package. This was just 4 weeks ago. The cheese was really good to me. :D

Also, when i went to london...we actually got a real meal.....that was about 5 years ago...but i remember it was a real meal...not sure if things have changed since. :dunno:

mochalocks
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by KhymFree@Aug 21 2005, 07:06 PM
When i travel out west (i live in Georgia) they usually pass out a meal (a little package) that consists of crackers with cheese, some desert and i forget what else is in the package. This was just 4 weeks ago. The cheese was really good to me. :D

Also, when i went to london...we actually got a real meal.....that was about 5 years ago...but i remember it was a real meal...not sure if things have changed since. :dunno:

How long is plane ride to London?, isn't that about 8+ hours?, so you will get a meal.

Sacral
08-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Back in the day (I'm in my 30's) I remember when I always got a meal even during a domestic 2hr flight. Like a full meal.....Even though it didn't taste very good.

Now, airlines have totally cut out any real food, yet plane ticket prices are getting higher.

A trip to London......You're gonna get a meal. U.S. Airways has great meals on the way to England, they even handed me a menu to pick from and I wasn't even in first class. British Airways as well.

- Sacral

Ebony
08-22-2005, 03:38 AM
When I flew Airjamaica (to Montego Bay, Jamaica) from Orlando, Fl they provided us with a meal. And the flight was about 1hr 45min I believe.

Yonique
08-26-2005, 03:20 AM
I had a 5 hour flight to San Francisco and there was a meal served. I was flying back and forth from Cleveland to DFW and there was no meal for 2 1/2 hr flight, except for once when I flew standby and I got in first class, I got a meal and I had a choice. I normally grab something before I even get to the airport because they jack up the prices so high in the airport. :(

carlaw78
08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I know on Delta they are making you pay for a meal...the options are great but costly, but they have no problem with a person bringing a meal on the plane. Its part of the Airline Crisis, they haved lost A LOT of money since 9/11 and cutting out food was a part of saving money.

_Empress_
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Hey everyone, I find it is mostly only the domestic U.S. flights that are cutting back on meals. The international flights like those to Canada, London etc still offer meals. We did a recent study in my MBA class about how the major airlines like American Airlines, U.S. Air, Delta etc. are losing big money because of cheaper flights offered by airlines like Southwest, USA 3000 and other cheaper airlines. These days people are looking to save money and aren't fliying ont he big names as much any more. As a result, the larger companies have had to cut back a lot of the cost via, worker lay-offs and food/beverage services. I was stranded the other day in London because of a strike by British Airways Workers rotesting the layoffs....sigh I hope it doesn't get worse cause a sista gets smungry!! (smungry=starving+hungry)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/expressionz/

SassyDiva
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Yea i had that same problem flying back from canada. the first time i was pregnant and hungry as hell. All i got was trail mix and free drinks. the flight was only 21\2 hours tho. this time i flew with my son who was 4months. I snuck some food in his diaper bag.

Cheleigh
09-21-2005, 05:15 PM
I used to travel a bunch. Alaskan still served food last I traveled them and international flights (to Canada, Europe). I took this tiny airline to Hawaii in June and they served full meals. Ted and a couple of others also offered meals for a fee.

Usually I an not on a direct flight, so I eat at the airport (or bring it on board) during the layover. The airlines don't care if you bring on a full spread (your hungry travel companions might care a great deal, however :)).

The rare times I have a full meal on a domestic flight (and have a choice of food), I usually order kosher. It's so funny to see the look on the flight attendent's face when I say "oh, yes, I ordered the kosher meal." If I ordered halal, it probably wouldn't be such a surprise.

guapa1
10-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by _Empress_@Aug 26 2005, 03:04 PM
sigh I hope it doesn't get worse cause a sista gets smungry!! (smungry=starving+hungry)

I say stungry! When I say i'm stungry, leave me alone, I get :Angry_boese008: and :( when I'm stungry

Scribetastic
10-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by mochalocks@Aug 18 2005, 11:48 PM
I noticed when I went on vacation in Costa Rica back in March, a Meal was not included. They had meals, but we had to pay for them. $5-$10 for a bagel. But, they did give us just some little snacks and a juice. Anyone, else experience this on an airline they've traveled on?

I've been hearing that if the plane ride is 5 hours or less, then we do not get a meal.

Considering that everyone tends to complain about airline food, shouldn't this be a blessing?

Anyway, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic, so I always check to see if a meal will be served and then I request a diabetic or vegitarian meal. In fact, I usually tell folks to request a special meal simply because those meals seem to be better than what the rest of the plane gets. That's not always the case though.

These days I'm traveling international and on fairly long flights, so there is always meal service (sometimes two) and snack service.

mrandmrsmer
10-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I remember traveling to North Carolina this past July, and there was no meal offered on the flight. I had to pay $3.00 for a lousy "snack box." The "snack box" included some crackers, a meat stick, a wedge of soft cheese, some cookies and some other stuff. It was definitely not worth it. At least they provided beverages for free, but not the whole can, of course. It's getting bad, y'all, when you have to pay for something to eat on a 2 or 3-hour flight! Guess it's best to just bring your own food like you were taking the Greyhound. :lol:

mrandmrsmer
10-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by _Empress_@Aug 26 2005, 10:04 AM
Hey everyone, I find it is mostly only the domestic U.S. flights that are cutting back on meals. The international flights like those to Canada, London etc still offer meals. We did a recent study in my MBA class about how the major airlines like American Airlines, U.S. Air, Delta etc. are losing big money because of cheaper flights offered by airlines like Southwest, USA 3000 and other cheaper airlines. These days people are looking to save money and aren't fliying ont he big names as much any more. As a result, the larger companies have had to cut back a lot of the cost via, worker lay-offs and food/beverage services. I was stranded the other day in London because of a strike by British Airways Workers rotesting the layoffs....sigh I hope it doesn't get worse cause a sista gets smungry!! (smungry=starving+hungry)

:lol: I like that word. I'll have to use it! :)

cocoabunny
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
My daughter & I took a trip to Indiana (from Seattle) in August on NWA and there was NO MEAL included. You had to pay like 3 or 4 bucks for a snack box that had crackers, cheese and some other stuff in it. Or you could pay 2 bucks for some trail mix. Needless to say I was more than a little hungry by the time we landed. On the trip back we packed a few sandwiches and stuff to hold us over until we got home.

mrandmrsmer
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by cocoabunny@Oct 14 2005, 11:01 AM
My daughter & I took a trip to Indiana (from Seattle) in August on NWA and there was NO MEAL included. You had to pay like 3 or 4 bucks for a snack box that had crackers, cheese and some other stuff in it. Or you could pay 2 bucks for some trail mix. Needless to say I was more than a little hungry by the time we landed. On the trip back we packed a few sandwiches and stuff to hold us over until we got home.

Cocoa, I flew NWA, too, when I went to North Carolina, and that's when I bought that snack box for $3. I know almost all the major airlines are going through their own share of problems, but dag, why did they decide to get stingy with the provisions? :lol: