PDA

View Full Version : Juicers

curlymrs
11-15-2003, 05:20 AM
I am seriously considering buying a juicer for the health benefits for my family and me. I know a lady that has juiced a long time and she is well over 80 years old now and can get around better than most 20-year-olds! That's all the evidence I need. I don't know what brand of juicer to buy though! Is one brand better than the other?

My doctor just told me to completely ward off all foods that contain preservatives and to just eat a raw, vegetable diet. Does anyone have any information as to how I can do this without starving myself. My doctor gave me some information, but I just want to know if anyone else knows of any websites that I can go to for more information. :cow:

Schiffon
11-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi,
I and a few of my friends have Omega juicers. I had mine for less than a year and I encountered a problem, but hey, maybe I just got the one quirky juicer, Omega serviced it for me and I still has something kinda weired happen. Overall, Omega's got a pretty good repuataion.

I have never been on a raw food diet but I know Queen Afua's book "Sacred Woman" is filled with information on that kind of diet.

Disclaimer: I don't subscribe to or promote the Khemetic based spiritual system discussed in her book.

naturalbeauty
11-16-2003, 04:22 AM
I have a very cheap juicer from an outlet store(kithcen collection), but it sounds like you have several mouths to feed. From the info I have, they recommend the Omega .. but that's all I know. And yes your Dr is right about avoiding foods with preservatives, but U don't have to be a raw foodist ... meat, veggies, fruit, and various starches like sweet potatoes, yicama, squash, plantain, (that I cook) are options. So long as it comes from the earth is my rule ....

BlkButterflye
11-16-2003, 04:48 AM
hey beautifuls....

i also have an omega juicer but i bought it off of ebay for about $115.00....so i got a great deal......anyway i have not had any problems with it **fingers-crossed**.......

i juice everyday, sometimes twice a day.....my combos are

---whole thing of kale
---8-10 long carrots
---one small beet
---a bunch of parsley........i eat this everyday...

also,

8-10 carrots
2 apples..........this is when i want something sweet to satisfy my crave for sugar...............

i don't juice my fruit.....but i do make smoothies everyday...

some watermelon
whole mango
1 tbsp of flax oil
1 tsp of flax seed
3-4 tbsp of silken tofu--soft.....and i blend, blend, blend...this way the fiber isn't discarded......

Juicers rock..lolol

naturalbeauty
11-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by BlkButterflye@Nov 15 2003, 11:48 PM
hey beautifuls....

i also have an omega juicer but i bought it off of ebay for about $115.00....so i got a great deal......anyway i have not had any problems with it **fingers-crossed**.......

i juice everyday, sometimes twice a day.....my combos are

---whole thing of kale
---8-10 long carrots
---one small beet
---a bunch of parsley........i eat this everyday...

also,

8-10 carrots
2 apples..........this is when i want something sweet to satisfy my crave for sugar...............

i don't juice my fruit.....but i do make smoothies everyday...

some watermelon
whole mango
1 tbsp of flax oil
1 tsp of flax seed
3-4 tbsp of silken tofu--soft.....and i blend, blend, blend...this way the fiber isn't discarded......

Juicers rock..lolol
my staple recipe is:
bok choy
green pepper
tomato
cucumber
celery

avoid high sugar veggies, if yu are looking for results.

BlkButterflye
11-16-2003, 05:27 PM
hey nb, thanks for your advice...

fruits and veggies are primarily my sources for sugar......also i only consume complex carbs....absolutely no simple carbs(no noodles of any kind, no white bread, no cake, and the like....) also, no bottled fruit juices, only fresh juice prepared from scratch.....

once in a while, i buy a cookie from whole foods...lolol :-)

and i am not sure about what you mean about results....i've been juicing for almost a yr religiously, and i see great improvements in my skin (face and body), hair, digestion, excretion, gum tissues, energy level, and overrall spirit.....

peace sis...

ETA---oh, thanks for the combo....i will try it tomorrow and let you know how it was for me..

CocoaButterflyy
11-16-2003, 08:41 PM
I got a brand new jack lalane juicer off of ebay for 90.00 and it's been wonderful

lilkinkyc
11-17-2003, 12:39 AM
I bought the Jack Lalane Juicer and I think that it is the best juicer ever. I really only have tried simple juices, like grape, pear and apple. Hubby likes carrot, apple and ginger. The juicer comes with a few combos to try. I need to try to down some veggie juices. Maybe I will try some that were listed here. I have Queen Afua's book and she too talks a lot about juicers and the benefits that come with the natural juices.

curlymrs
11-17-2003, 05:37 AM
:thumbsup Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try some of the recipes that you ladies posted here when I get my juicer. Thanks for all of your comments. :) I recently heard Queen Afua on a radio station here in Los Angeles talking about her book and some of the things you can do to heal your body through foods. She seems to be quite the naturalist! @ BlkButterflye--thanks for the recipes, that helps a lot!

luvmylocs
11-17-2003, 05:05 PM
First of all it sounds like you have a good doctor. Most doctors don't want to make the connection between diet and illness for whatever reason (money). Anyway, a great website for raw foods and information on just about every juicer made is www.rawfoods.com They have a place on the site where you can compare all the juicers. I purchased my juicer about 6 years ago from this site. So I recommend it in good faith.

I have juiced off an on for about 8 years, and I've also done the raw food diet for a period of time. In my research over the years I've read that it's a great diet for those with extreme illness. Some have professed to curing the incurable by going on a raw diet. I've also read that it's not good to continue a raw diet for long periods of time because it can have negative affects - hair falling out, teeth rotting, etc. There's a site where you can read articles on the ill affects of raw foods and vegan diets, but remember, this is just the opinion of some people, but I believe in checking out all sides of the story. Listening to your own body is best ... www.chetday.com/vegetarianarticles.htm

From my own experience, for me raw food did not work. On a raw diet, you will lose a lot of weight. I am a small lady and losing the amount of weight I lost did not work for me. I was looking anorexic. (sp?) I also found myself to be cold all the time. But, on the positive side, although I never suffered from bad cycles, I did notice a big change in my periods. They were a lot shorter, lighter, no cramps, and no PMS. However, I must admit, a vegan diet can produce the same results. I'm now eating mostly raw, but I have to have some cooked, I'm probably 60 to 70 percent raw on good days, and I eat fish about 1 a week. My advice to you would be to listen to your own body as I stated earlier. If you are seriously ill, maybe you should try it for a while (throwing that out because you said your doctor suggested it). The main thing is do your research.

I wish you luck on your journey! To the other ladies that posted your juice recipes, thanks! I've been looking for good combinations that include a lot of greens. I drink wheatgrass daily to make sure I get the green foods in.

luvmylocs
11-17-2003, 05:08 PM
deleted

CrazeeDCoil
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
I really like my champion juicer. Defintely whatever juicer you get, make sure it is a masticating juicer so you get the maximmum benefits. I have heard that the top two are Champion and Omega.

curlymrs
11-18-2003, 04:23 AM
:thumbsup @ luvmylocs--Thanks for the helpful website. And yes my doctor is a great person! He not only makes sure I am well as a patient but as a person. He inquires about my personal and family life and gives me advice on other areas of my life as well as my health. Thanks again to all of you for your advice!

TuralNap
12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by curlymrs@Nov 15 2003, 01:20 AM
I am seriously considering buying a juicer for the health benefits for my family and me. I know a lady that has juiced a long time and she is well over 80 years old now and can get around better than most 20-year-olds! That's all the evidence I need. I don't know what brand of juicer to buy though! Is one brand better than the other?

My doctor just told me to completely ward off all foods that contain preservatives and to just eat a raw, vegetable diet. Does anyone have any information as to how I can do this without starving myself. My doctor gave me some information, but I just want to know if anyone else knows of any websites that I can go to for more information. :cow:
vitamix (http://www.vitamix.com/household/) :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup