PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux!

Kandy
02-13-2003, 08:32 PM
I need help . Sometimes I have heartburns that hurt so much that it wake me up while im sleeping . SOmetimes I have some weird things poping out of my mouth its small and smell so bad :cry: I had this for a while . MOst of teh time when I eat something I get heartbruns. I went to the doctor he gave me pills...pantoloc...It helped me a lot ..but it didnt heal whatever i have in my stomach cuz DAMN IT HURTS! Another doctor told me what happend is that when u eat ..ur food instead of going down it goes up blablablabla..Im tired of this its killing me . Any suggestion?

soontobenatural
02-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Kandy,

I suffered from the same symptoms as you for about 7 years. Sometimes at night, it would be so bad, that I thought I was choking to death. My doctor prescribed Prevacid that I would take at bedtime. He also recommended that I not lay down for 2 hours after eating. This worked fine, but I would still get mild reflux/heartburn during the day.

The only thing that helped me was loosing weight. I have lost almost 40 pounds since August and I stopped having any symptoms after loosing the 1st 10 pounds.

Kandy
02-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Kandy,

I suffered from the same symptoms as you for about 7 years. Sometimes at night, it would be so bad, that I thought I was choking to death. My doctor prescribed Prevacid that I would take at bedtime. He also recommended that I not lay down for 2 hours after eating. This worked fine, but I would still get mild reflux/heartburn during the day.

The only thing that helped me was loosing weight. I have lost almost 40 pounds since August and I stopped having any symptoms after loosing the 1st 10 pounds.

prevacid..ill check for that but lose weight ....DAMN its already to hard for me to gain weight im skinny ...I cant think of losing weight when im trying to keep my weight sao i wont b underweight! :(

SweetAfrica
02-13-2003, 11:32 PM
I was admitted to emergency for BAD acid reflux, so bad I was doubled over. The attending doctor prescribed Ranitidine (Zantac) and I used only 1 and was fine after that. I can't recall the dosage but it worked really well. He only prescribed 3 just-in-case capsules.

The cause of acid reflux for me was poor eating habits...well, I just wasn't eating, and stress - I was in grad school then :roll:

Anyway, one of my professors told me that when her mother experienced this she would put a few books under the legs of her bed (the ones holding up the headboard) to prop it up. That way her bed lay on a slant and that kept the acid down at night.

My symptoms didn't get that bad so I didn't try this out. After hearing it from her, I've heard that other clients tried this and it worked for them too!

ihgemini
02-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Blessings,
Hey Kandy! My suggestion would be to try eliminating certain food/spices/condiments from your diet. As examples that would be anything made with distilled vinegar (salad dressings, hot sauce, ketchup, etc.), pickles, black and white pepper. Try that and see how that works. I has helped me alot with just that burning sensation in my chest after eating sometimes. Ketchup really did it to me.

ariana
02-14-2003, 07:23 PM
My husband suffers from acid reflux disease. For a couple of years he would go through a bottle of Tums a day. I finally made him go to the doctor and he had a procedure done where they stick a camera down your throat. Instead of being nice and pink, his throat was red ans scarred. The ring around his stomach that keeps acid from going into his esophagus was also scarred.

The doctor prescribed Prevacid. He takes it in the morning when he gets up and it works wonders for him. The doctor also told him to stay away from spicy foods and caffeine, not to eat or drink alcohol for 2 hours before going to bed, and to sleep with his head and chest a little elevated. Also, you shouldn't smoke because you have a 100% chance of throat cancer.

I would recommed you getting another doctor's opinion and having this procedure done.

Sister1
02-15-2003, 05:38 PM
@Kandy, I agree with all and the last post by Ariana. Though your primary care provider can very well manage and treat acid reflux, if your symptoms are very severe and painful, you may consider requesting a referral to a gastroenterologist. Have you been told you have a hiatal hernia? In general with that, the muscular ring that is between the end of the esohagus and the opeining of the stomach becomes lax, allowing then, the upflux of the caustic stomach acids that help digest food. As someone suggested, for some people being overweight can be a culprit and weight loss, along with dietary changes, and medications can help improve and or eliminate the symptoms.

Also, for some people these very gastric symptoms can mimic heart attack pains and folks will treat themselves thinking it is gastric in nature. I take it your doctor has ruled out it is not anything related to your cardiovascular system. Hope you feel better. :wink:

MsAfrodite
02-16-2003, 12:42 AM
My husband suffers from acid reflux disease. For a couple of years he would go through a bottle of Tums a day. I finally made him go to the doctor and he had a procedure done where they stick a camera down your throat.
I would recommed you getting another doctor's opinion and having this procedure done.

[b]I think that this procedure is called an upper GI. I agree that you need to look into getting a second opinon.

MsAfrodite

chocol8diva714
02-16-2003, 11:57 PM
I suffered from AR all during high school and had no symptoms in college until about 2 weeks ago. Since changing my eating pattern (much healthier and lighter) the symptoms went away but, when I slipped with eating greasier and spiciers foods back came the AR. My symptoms do mimic what I thought were chest (heart related) pains and cause unimaginable pain. RIght now I can manage it with 2 tagamet a day and also sleep with my head elevated.

Also, the small and stinky things in your throat are referred to as tonsils or gold stones. Its when food and other bacteria are caught by the tonsils and after a while calcify, when they become large enough they break up and come up in your mouth or if small enougha re just swallowed (yuck!!) Usually you can feel them in your throat and they smell terrible....I would do some internet searches!!

HTH...smooches and blessings :P