PDA

View Full Version : Black Folk Artists

pjeffuller
11-17-2003, 05:19 AM
I'm sorry if this topic has been posted before, but I'm just curious as to who else is into Ben Harper and Alana Davis. I love them both and I've seen Alana in concert twice in the Detroit area. What does anyone else think of them?

BlkButterflye
11-17-2003, 06:52 AM
oh ben harper...i love his music....i have "Diamonds on Inside"....i think that the name of that cd.....i would love to see him live...and he's pretty sexy too......he has some kewl tattoos....

Dolliesdaughter
11-17-2003, 02:48 PM
I do know him but I don't know his music. Brotha is fine.

Brit
11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
i like alana davis, but i didn't know she was black. she just doesn't look it to me (i'm not saying that she isn't)

rkj223
11-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Did you like him in "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"? (great movie)

pjeffuller
11-18-2003, 12:44 AM
Hi Brit,

Alana and Ben are bi-racial. Both their fathers were black. Sorry, for the confusion.

ReddyLoques
11-18-2003, 03:13 AM
She's pretty.. she reminds me of the grown up version of Jurnee Smolett (the lil girl from Eve's Bayou, and the Wanda Sykes show)

http://www.elektra.com/elektra/img/2_2115782_10.Jpg

I've never heard her music.. but i'm about to go to her website and peep some sample tunes..

I've only heard one Ben Harper song.. My own 2 hands.. I liked it.. real kool joint.

tamtam
11-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Love me some alana, esp. her version of "32 flavors". Did she put out anything after "Fortune Cookies" ?

Journee
11-29-2003, 02:06 PM
I love Alana. I got to meet her when she came to Cleveland. Sher has left her old record company and now she is currently recording a new album, which is due out in January.

Artsyblack
11-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I have both of their 1st cds which I'm still feeling. Don't have anything up to date. But I'll keep my eye out for Alana's new stuff in January. Thanks

Also, you guys may want to check out Terry Callier. He's folky soul. Been around for a long time ( since the 60' and 70's) and his music is timeless. He has recorded recent cds that are mostly released over seas but has a few domestic releases.

Check out, "Speak Your Peace".

Vizion
12-23-2003, 04:45 AM
I love Ben Harper! That man is fione! I saw him in concert earlier this year. He did a duet with his Mom too. His voice is astounding. I was so amazing how he easily moved through musical genres. And his skills as a musician, outstanding. He can play nearly everything. Probably because his grandparents were musicians and own a shop. Guess what? Lenny Kravitz was there too with his short tight clothes wearing self.

I've never heard of Alana Davis so thanx for introducing me to her.

I want to add Pamela Means (http://www.pamelameans.com) to this mix. Click on her name and check her website. She is a lesbian feminist who has songs ranging from critiquing police brutality and critiquing the WTO. Her ideologies are influenced by Audre Lorde and bell hooks. I've seen her perform about 5 times. I've had the opportunity to spend "down time" with her and she is just as amicable, political, and inspiring as her music. Check out the songs to her latest album bullet theory.

Check out her hair:!

http://www.pamelameans.com/img/photosofpamela/postcard.jpg

Sorry yall! The picture is huge! You can just go to her site and photo albums if this takes to too long to load.

tamtam
12-23-2003, 05:17 AM
@ Vizion - r u from Boston? I heard Pamela a while ago at an instore when i worked at Tower Records. We were showcasing local folk artists. It was a really good event!
*off topic - sorry*SHE HAS GOT GREAT HAIR! and it is something I never noticed, because i think I had permed hair at the time.

Vizion
12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Tamtam,

No I'm not from Boston. I'm from So. Cali. I was an emcee at a day long concert of music with an activist soul. My friend is an event coordinator and invited her to a few more events in the So. Cal area. So I got to "gopher" for her and really just sit and vibe with her.

The sista is gorgeous. Yes her hair is so beautiful. (But I didn't tell her that because I know everybody in the world has...and she spoke about how she's annoyed at how folks love her hair more than her art)

She's touring around with Alix Olson, white lesbian spoken word artist. It's great but she's being exposed to young white women who really don't give her the time of day. I keep suggesting she get booked at Black lesbian events or even with Ben Harper so she can get her work out there. I know she's doing something, with 5 cds out so far.

crazylove
12-24-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ReddyLoques@Nov 18 2003, 03:13 AM
I've only heard one Ben Harper song.. My own 2 hands.. I liked it.. real kool joint.
That is my favourite song!!!