PDA

View Full Version : What is your Thanksgiveing specialty

NuGrowth
11-18-2003, 05:06 PM
I know my family is not the only one that cooks like were cooking for an army nor are we the only ones who have special dishes that we have perfected. My specialty is deserts... My Red Velvet Cake is the bomb.......So c'mon and share what you'll be whipping up in the kitchen come Thabksgiving day.
If you want the recipe for my Red Velvet Cake just post a reply to this thread..... :thumbsup :rainfro .

sarakh
11-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Every year, my family asks me to make an authentic African dish for Black Family Day (the cultural nationalist version of Thanksgiving). Last year I made Maafe, a Senegalese groundnut stew with lamb. It is so good and it tastes even better when you make it veg with no meat. This year, I'm making Ital Greens with Kale, carrots, tomatoes, and scallions and down home honey ginger lemonade. I'm also going to try making a banana marble cake.

NuGrowth
11-18-2003, 05:26 PM
any way you can hook me up with some recipes?

CocoaButterflyy
11-18-2003, 05:39 PM
A side dish that I do is blackeyed pea "salsa," I'll be doing a pumpkin caramel cheesecake, pumpkin pecan cheesecake, jerk turkey, and my famous mac and cheese

Aesys
11-18-2003, 06:01 PM
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Jerk turkey......that sounds good. So does the Maafe....I'd be very interested in recipes...especially the veggie version of the Maafe. I'd also like the black-eye pea salsa and the red velvet cake :thumbsup PLEASE!!!

I'll be making turkey, rice and peas, cornbread, candied sweet potatoes, and cheesecake.

ReRoyalty
11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Well I don't cook, HOWEVER I do have some specialty thanksgiving dishes I love to eat...

1) Deep Fried Turkey - I know it is injected with some kind of flavor juices (such technical terms :lol ) and it tastes yummy.

2) My momma's dressing!!! - I'll help cut up the ingredients but she adds the special touch and I will tear it up.

3) My Aunt Betty's giblet gravy - I didn't know what giblets were when I first ate it but I loved it all the same.

4) Dessert in general - sweet potato pie, bannana pudding, apple cobbler, pound cake... you name it, I'll eat it.

sarakh
11-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok ladies, I will post the recipe for Mafe as soon as I can get a break from work.

sarakh
11-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Alright, sistahs, here's the Mafe recipe. Now I am not a cookbook author so if the instructions are a little confusing PM me and I'll clarify. There are variations on Groundnut Stew throughout West Africa, but this is the version I ate all the time when I was in Senegal. You could add more vegetables if you like, but I prefer it just the way it is! If you want to make it vegetarian (my personal favorite), add acorn squash, cabbage, and eggplant in place of the meat! Enjoy!

2 medium sweet potatoes

2 white potatoes

1 1/2 boneless lamb chunks (or beef)

1 onion diced very fine

1 clove garlic

1 habanero pepper

6 okra choppped

3/4 cup all natural peanut butter (Skippy and Jif won't work!!)

peanut oil or soybean oil

salt, pepper, and ground ginger to taste

1 1/2 cans of tomato paste

2 bay leaves

1 vegetable bouillion cube

Boil the sweet potatoes and white potatoes in a separate pot until tender. While potatoes are boiling, saute the meat in hot oil until browned. Season with salt and pepper.

Place browned meat in a large stockpot and add crumbled bouillon cube and two cups of water. While the meat/broth mixture comes to a boil, in a skillet lightly brown the onions garlic, and habanero pepper. Add spices and boiled potatoes.

When the onion, garlic, pepper mixture is hot, add the peanut butter and 1 can of tomato paste and 1 can of water. Stir very well, making sure to completely dissolve the peanut butter. Add more water or tomato paste to suit your taste. (The mixture should be brown.)

Add the contents of the skillet to the meat/broth mixture in the stockpot. Add the bay leaves. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Once the stew has reached a rapid boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 35 minutes, making sure the meat and vegetables are tender.

Remove the habanero pepper and bay leaf before serving.

Serve over boiled rice.

Aesys
11-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Thank You!!

Papillion
11-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Red velvet cake? Can a sista get the recipe? PLEASE!

I'm wracking my head for Moms recipes...

Macaroni & Cheese
Giblet Gravy
Turnips
Potato rolls
Cranberries
Candied Yams...

I need to sit down with Moms and get these recipes.

ETA: Thanks for the Mafe recipe!!
Anyone have a Gombo (Senegalese okra) recipe??? I had this at a restaurant and was HOOKED!

Knottygal
11-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Banana Pudding
Candied Yams

Opportunitylocks
11-19-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't celebrate thanksgiving but I know a great recipe for a pumkin pie made with melted ice cream. This is the bomb!

Curlysaurus
11-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Homemade cornbread stuffing is my spe-ci-al-i-tay!

CocoaButterflyy
11-19-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Aesys@Nov 18 2003, 02:01 PM
Jerk turkey......that sounds good. So does the Maafe....I'd be very interested in recipes...
Jerk Turkey

5 cups finely chopped scallion
5 scotch bonnet chili, seeded, minced
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime, juice
3 tbsp ground allspice
2 tbsp English dry mustard
6 Bay Leaf, centre ribs discarded, leaves, crumbled
6 garlic, cloves, chopped
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves, only
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
1 x 12 lb. turkey
coarse salt, and freshly cracked black pepper
additional scotch bonnet chili, for garnish

Directions:

Put the scallion, chiles, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, mustard, bay leaves, garlic, salt, brown sugar, thyme, cinnamon, and 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a food processor/blender.
Puree until smooth.
Pour the marinade over the turkey and close the bag securely. Put the bag in a roasting pan (to catch any leaks). You can also inject some of the marinade in the turkeys thighs and breasts

Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

The next day, remove the turkey from the marinade and pat dry.
Season with salt and pepper and brush with oil.
Allow turkey to reach room temperature.
Tie legs together with string.
Turn oven down to 325 degrees F.
Put turkey in a roasting pan and roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 180 degrees F., about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours.
Let turkey rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.

NuGrowth
11-19-2003, 03:46 AM
I am sooo sorry that I it has taken me so long to reply but I was at work... Ok here goes...
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 ounces red food coloring
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in the pans. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans. Use frosting to fill and ice cake.

afrogeek
11-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by NuGrowth@Nov 18 2003, 07:06 PM
I know my family is not the only one that cooks like were cooking for an army nor are we the only ones who have special dishes that we have perfected. My specialty is deserts... My Red Velvet Cake is the bomb.......So c'mon and share what you'll be whipping up in the kitchen come Thabksgiving day.
If you want the recipe for my Red Velvet Cake just post a reply to this thread..... :thumbsup :rainfro .
Please PM it to me. I've been looking for a Red Velvet Cake receipe. :-P
Thanks, girl.

Eva :rainfro

blestnaps
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Does any of you have chiterlings at your Thanksgiving dinners along with the traditional foods?

NuGrowth
11-20-2003, 04:55 AM
Yes we have Chitlins at my family Thanksgiving equipt with Hot sauce!

W8N2XHL
11-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by NuGrowth@Nov 18 2003, 01:06 PM
NuGrowth,
I'm feelin ya with the Red Velvet cake. I actually have the Waldorf's recipe.

I have a BOMB cheesecake recipe, chocolate cake recipe and chocolate red DEVIL's recipe.

I also have a good dressing (NOT STUFFING) recipe that is easy

nastarual
11-20-2003, 08:07 PM
my mac & cheese! my mom stopped making mac & cheese years ago because everyone loves mine. hehehehe

and i injected and seasoned the turkey last year and helped drop it in the peanut oil... it's not a speaciality yet. and no one can mess up a fried turkey!!

NuGrowth
11-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the replies... We are having a fried turkey this year also so... I hope it turns out well

afrogeek
11-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Sarakh and CocoaButterfly,

Ya'll know I'm gon hafta hook up the Maafe and that Jerk turkey. :rainfro

HuGrad2002
11-21-2003, 02:00 PM
my grandmothers banana pudding is TO DIR FOR!!!!!

NuGrowth
11-21-2003, 02:58 PM
What does she do to it that makes it soo special.... I usually don't like it because the cookies are soggy but if she has one where the cookies arent soggy I'd like to have it if you'd please.

nappineo
11-21-2003, 06:36 PM
What do you know about GREENS! I can get down with the greens.

luvmylocs
11-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Ms. Sarakh, Thanks for the recipe for Mafe. It sounds delicious. I was going to try a new veggie chili this weekend, but I think I'm going to try the Mafe instead. I have a question for ya. When making the veggie version of this, when do you add the acorn squash, cabbage and eggplant?

celine
11-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by CocoaButterflyy@Nov 18 2003, 07:39 PM
A side dish that I do is blackeyed pea "salsa," I'll be doing a pumpkin caramel cheesecake, pumpkin pecan cheesecake, jerk turkey, and my famous mac and cheese
Cocoa, I'm very interested in the pumpkin pecan cheesecake recipe; could you post it please?
Thanks!

Celine :)

CocoaButterflyy
11-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by celine+Nov 21 2003, 05:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (celine @ Nov 21 2003, 05:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CocoaButterflyy@Nov 18 2003, 07:39 PM
A side dish that I do is blackeyed pea "salsa," I&#39;ll be doing a pumpkin caramel cheesecake, pumpkin pecan cheesecake, jerk turkey, and my famous mac and cheese
Cocoa, I&#39;m very interested in the pumpkin pecan cheesecake recipe; could you post it please?
Thanks!

Celine :) [/b][/quote]
Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake

For praline
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

For crust
1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
1 cup plain graham white person crumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

For filling
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 large eggs
1 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

praline:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Stir sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar melts and mixture comes to boil; boil 1 minute without stirring. Mix in pecans. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet. Bake until sugar syrup bubbles vigorously, about 8 minutes. Cool praline completely. Break into pieces. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight.)

crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Stir cookie crumbs and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Add butter; stir until crumbs are moistened. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Bake crust until set, about 8 minutes. Cool. Double-wrap outside of pan with heavy-duty foil. Place in large roasting pan.

filling:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Beat in flour and spices. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in pumpkin, bourbon and vanilla. Transfer to crust.

Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to reach 1 inch up sides of springform pan. Bake cake in water bath until center is just set, adding more water to roasting pan as needed, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Remove cheesecake from water. Cool in pan on rack. Remove foil. Run small sharp knife between cake and pan sides. Chill until cold; then cover and chill overnight.

Release pan sides. Place cake on platter/tray/cake plate and sprinkle pralines over the top

celine
11-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Thank you very much! I&#39;ll got to try it during the christmas holidays!

Celine :)

ChandraNH
11-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I need a dressing recipe (not stuffing, but chicken and dressing).

Ameka
11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
going out to eat is my thanksgiving speciality.

trubliss
11-23-2005, 05:35 PM
My Specialties:
Mac n cheese
Candied Yams
Sweet Potatoe Pie (I make all desserts the night before)
I cook early so that I can enjoy the football games!

Batyah
11-18-2011, 07:51 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/Thanksgiving/DANCIN216.gif

Savvyone
11-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Sweet potato pie, tastes just like my Aunt's down south, been perfecting it the past several years!:D

thePerfectFool
11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Baked macaroni and cheese, chicken dressing, and garlic mashed potatoes. I can't wait to get home and start cooking!! :D

Batyah
11-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Sweet potato pie, tastes just like my Aunt's down south, been perfecting it the past several years!:D
I love sweet potato pie!!!

newlife2169
11-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Bringing cups, plates, drinks; cranberry sauce out of the can; making my rounds to various homes to pick up plates of food so there's no need to cook or buy anything for a good while....

LOL!

Dovechild20
11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
i dunno if i have a specialty, but my sweet potato pie is NOICE! lol

assia
11-27-2011, 07:48 AM
I make the cheesecakes, broccoli cheese casserole and turkey
My aunt makes the red velvet cake, ham and chitlins
My cousin makes the sweet potato pies, lemon cake and lasagna
My other aunt makes the mac & cheese, fresh rolls, and dressing
My other aunt makes the sweet corn, steamed cabbage, and corn muffins
My mother makes the spicy collard greens mix and the deviled eggs