PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Help Me Please... :)

ceenaomikay
09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
hi guys when i was a baby i had the biggest afro ever at 6weeks my hair was down my back. my hair ruined as i got older because i permed it,coloured it and done so many crazy styles with it, now i have hardly any hair. for the past 14months i have not done anything to my hair chemically, i've kept it in micro braids but it does not seem to be growing at all, well maybe its grown 5inches in some areas but the back, very front and sides are very bad and nappy.
now i have thick natural afro hair that seems not to be improving. when i take it out of the braids i put it back in again as i am very embarrassed of my bald head!!! lol
my sisters, neices,nephew and mother do not have this problem they have long flowing natural hair down there backs...
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks y'all for reading this, please help a sister out

NappyBeginnings
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi-
First I would like to commend you on going natural. That has been the first step to recovery for many of us.

I would suggest you see a dermatologist if you have not already done so.

Is you hair dry and brittle?
Does your scalp itch?

Also, others on the board have suffered hair loss and they have used Surge. It appears to work very well - just do a search for it on the board. I would use this in the meantime while waiting to go to the doctor. I haev dermatologist appts. every six weeks and I know I have shampoos and salve's to use on my scalp so only use a conditioner over the counter.

Don't forget vitamin's - I am not sure which you would use but I am sure someone else on the board could assist with this or you can do a search for vitamins on the site.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
--NB

ceenaomikay
09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
thanks for the quick nice reply. i'm actually living in england so i doubt Surge is available down here but i will look for it.
would a dermologist see me if i wear braids in? because i will not be taking them out.
i just need my hair to grow and i nice product that will work
thanks again for your reply

_Empress_
09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Have you been moisturising your hair while it is in the braids?

Have you done any deep conditioning?

Do you drink water?

Have you had the braids in for a long time, maybe your hair needs a break fromt he tension braids can place on your hair?

I'm sure you're hair is growing really it is, just that in some damaged spots form years of perming, like my own hair, the sides grow much slower and thinner. It will improve over time. I've been napptural for a year and I have seen a difference. Just give it some time :wub:

My Space: http://spaces.msn.com/members/expressionz/

NappyBeginnings
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ceenaomikay@Sep 2 2005, 12:03 PM
thanks for the quick nice reply. i'm actually living in england so i doubt Surge is available down here but i will look for it.
would a dermologist see me if i wear braids in? because i will not be taking them out.
i just need my hair to grow and i nice product that will work
thanks again for your reply

Ok, so you don't have balding - you would just like your hair to grow? If that is the case I would probably say vitamins and deep conditioning.

My dermatologist sees me with twists and braids. However, you can ask when you call to make an appt. what they would prefer.

--NB

ceenaomikay
09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
hello,
thanks for your reply, i deep condition when i take out the braids, i do drink a lot of water but aim to start drinking 4litres(my sisters hate water but have hair down there backs!!!

i keep my braids in for 2-3 months then condition and shampoo and flaming hot tool of hair torture it, i then re-braid it.
i notice my hair is getting thicker though but not longer.

i do moisterise the hair while its braiding but i notice it clogs up the hair, what mouisteriser do you recommend to me that wont clog the hair??

i think its grown about 5inches so far

ceenaomikay
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Hello,

thanks again for your response. fortunately no i dont have balding just thinning and short hair, it does appear thicker now my hairs natural.
i will try and find a dermologist.
have you any deep conditioner that you recomend?

ejfel
09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Is you hair dry and brittle?
Does your scalp itch?

I have been having these problems this year, but can't really justify the cost to the dermatologist yet. Anything I should know? Anyting that will help?

MsPebbles
10-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Don't compare your hair to your kin folk. It is ok that your texture may not be the same as theirs. You may have to come to grips with that and love your texture as it is. As for your hair not growing...that is odd. Drink plenty water and exercise. The hair loves it. It is hard to realize growth because of the shrinkage. I also agree with the ladies that you should see a professional.

MotherLand
10-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Is it breaking off while it is in the braids? How often do you rebraid and how long do you leave your hair loose? Maybe you could tell us about your hair routine more indepth.

complakatedace
10-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Ok a dermatologist will help, especially with balding...and other hair problems.

Stop straight.ening your hair...it will burn it up and dry it out

Hair is only going to grow on average about half inch per month...so if u have 5 inches I suspect u have been growing naps for about 10 months? If its been longer than u are having breakage. Sometimes its braids for a long time, sometimes its diet or medications or disease, etc. Whatever it is its something u need to pinpoint.

But do it all water, vitamins, exercise, condition, moisturized..but nothing in excess because it will all backfire...especially vitamins.

Can we see comparison pictures?
Good luck

carameldiva
10-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Make sure that you are shampooing and conditioning your hair while it is in braids. You should not be leaving your hair braided for that length of time without washing it- Your hair should still be washed weekly, conditioned weekly and you can deep condition weekly as well if you like. Also make sure that you are moisturizing at least once a day, more if you need it. Hope this helps.

startingover
10-21-2005, 02:35 AM
I think that micros may not be a good thing for damaged hair. If you want to wear braids, bigger braids or cornrows should be thought about. If you're str.aightening your hair then putting in micros...you are sabotaging yourself. The stra.ightening comb is evil all by itself, but add the stress of those few strands of hair being braided...that's not good for already damaged hair.

I think you may have a definite problem with retention and you should be very careful with overwear of micros cause they have helped a lot of sistas right on the way to traction alopecia.

Have you ever thought about cutting it into a nice TWA? Maybe if you start off even and get to know your hair by touching it, conditioning it, loving it all by itself...you may see more growth or at least appreciate it regardless of length.

Good luck either way.

vonnie1999
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I think I'm going to agree w/ letting go of those micros. I think that b/c of the size of them and all the pulling that micros may not be the way to go. My first month I was bald. I cut all hair off, new growth and all. I'm on my 3rd month and there is a difference. My grandmother always said "Watched pots never boil". Try to forget about the length and just enjoy all the stages your hair goes through. Best wishes.