PDA

View Full Version : Biting Off....

mrsloh
09-04-2005, 01:42 PM
please, bare with me...the post is a bit long...

we have a total of three nappies in my immediate family: my niece who went first, my sister - who is actually a suprise nappy - she just stopped perming her hair because she didn't have time and was trying to give her hair a rest from the chemicals - but i didn't know it had been a whole year since she had permed! and of course - me...

here is what happened:

sis: i am getting tired of my hair and i dont have the money to get it braided right now

me: "Oh please, don't p.erm it whatever you do!, I will twist your hair for you - i promise you'll love it"

so when i get to her house, i find out that she has about 7-9 inches of nappy hair that is very dense. however, the twist only took about 2 hrs or so to do. which is not that bad considering all the hair she has...so here's what happened after i finished:

sis: "oh my goodness!! i love my hair, it is so soft! i didn't know it could be so soft - you gone be doing my hair ALL THE TIME!

me (thinking)::shocker: WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?

and now, my other sister and my niece are all pumped to go natural and do their hair and my niece wants me to do her daughters hair...

did anyone else suddenly become the family stylist when other family members also went natural - how did you handle it?

Niya
09-04-2005, 05:30 PM
If your problem is simply not wanting to do it, or not having the time or patience, just tell them.

me personally, i'd set up a price and get paid.
but that's just me.

shuger
09-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm with you Niya. Charge em.

SaPhia
09-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Niya@Sep 4 2005, 01:30 PM
If your problem is simply not wanting to do it, or not having the time or patience, just tell them.

me personally, i'd set up a price and get paid.
but that's just me.

Yup!

starrrdust143
09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
That makes four of us! I haven't been asked since i've been natural, but that is because people know i don't have time. But when I was a permie, I relaxed, cut, curled, braided ....different family members' hair, and you best believe I charged them. If it's like a one time favor, or something...cool. But if they think you are going to be on the becking call...CHING CHING!

sonce
09-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I know what you mean. I play stylist for my little sisters because my mother is completely incompetent with hair (not just napptural but any kind really). When I went napptural, her immediate reaction was like &#39;if you can do that compacted, unpermed disaster sitting on your head, then you can do any kind of hair&#39; <_<

SaPhia
09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by sonce@Sep 4 2005, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean. I play stylist for my little sisters because my mother is completely incompetent with hair (not just napptural but any kind really). When I went napptural, her immediate reaction was like &#39;if you can do that compacted, unpermed disaster sitting on your head, then you can do any kind of hair&#39; <_<

:huh: :unsure: :pointlaugh:
I&#39;m sorry, I&#39;m not laughing at you. I&#39;ve just never heard anyone describe napptural hair that way before.

LuaBonita
09-04-2005, 07:35 PM
heres what ill do:
1) tell them that you dont have much time to do their hair
2) if they still want you to, charge em

icetia
09-04-2005, 08:01 PM
I&#39;mma cosign with everybody and say that you charge them.

MotherLand
09-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I f youhave 2 hours each then go head. I&#39;d charge them a minimal fee though, 5 dollars per hour, wait no, make it 7.50.
Or just no and teach them how to do their own hair.

Only1biancab
09-05-2005, 01:47 AM
You can charge them like everyone else said or teach them how to do their own hair. It&#39;s just twists, they should be able to get that down pretty quick.

lisa_826
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
With me it would depend on how often they want it done and who the people are. Like if it was just my sis, I would probably do it for free, provided it wasn&#39;t too often (Like once a month max)

Now if cousins and folks who only call me when they want something start clamoring for free styles, then after the first time I&#39;d charge regardless of how infrequently they want it.

missnappylady
09-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Does this sound familiar or what?? The exact same thing happened to me. It&#39;s a compliment but, I hate doing hair for hours and then NOT get paid??? Don&#39;t think so. I&#39;ve made sure that everyone knows I enjoy doing hair but, with limitations. Anything that takes more than 10-20 mins in 6 mths is more than a favor in my books. So, everyone knows to pay me or at least take me to dinner (depending on who it is and what I did). I am flattered that they want me to do their hair but, not all the time. Like everyone else here has said you&#39;ve got to be firm. If not they&#39;ll walk all over you and then you won&#39;t be able to stop it. Then you&#39;ll become the "free family hairdresser" :doh

caramelqt928
09-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I&#39;m jumping on the bandwagon... charge them. I have family members who do that to me. Then if I say no, then I&#39;ve turned my back on my family. Guilt trip, I know. Just be firm, they will understand.

buttaflybaby
09-07-2005, 07:52 AM
i&#39;m sure there would prolly be more fam and mo folks jumpin on the nappy train..you and some fellow nappies can get yalls fam and peeps together together and show them how to do their hair as well...if they are willing to learn...cuz they can&#39;t come crawling to you at the sight of every knot and napp...lol

BreezySeas
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Well I can not braid. But I probably could do some twist and I would make sure I made a profit that may motivate you to do it. However if you do not want to do it then don&#39;t. You have a life to. But hey that sounds like some extra money it would never be done free if they want it done constantly that is time consuming.

trilynn20
09-08-2005, 02:33 PM
You know what...I went through the same thing while in high school--I started out doing a guy friends hair for free for the practice and now everyone including my family wants me to do their hair for free. I really don&#39;t enjoy doing hair except my own for free. Believe me if you don&#39;t set up a fee for doing they always expect that you will do hair for free or just tell them no. Good Luck

NATURALEE
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I would do the first style free then charge after that.

natural_butterfly4
09-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Why don&#39;tt you show them how to do their hair? Maybe you can style there hair every now and then. I wish my mom and sister were natural.

ambond0396
09-08-2005, 03:34 PM
That is slowly happening to me. I have one friend who hasn&#39;t had a perm in 2 years, but she keeps her hair in either braided or twist extentions because she doesn&#39;t want to deal with her hair. I asked her when she was going to stop wearing the extentions. She said whenever you have time to do my hair.
I have another friend who decided to go natuarl after I did and she has already told me that she wants me to do her BC and style her hair from time to time. I also do my younger cousin&#39;s hair. She is growing her perm out and currently wearing kinky twist extentions.

Now for these 3 people, I don&#39;t mind doing their hair because they are all rather close to me and like family. Now if anyone else were to jump on the bandwagon I would have to make up a price list.

steem04
09-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Chaaaaarge &#39;em or at least do some kind of bartering system.

mrsloh
09-08-2005, 04:37 PM
...thanks for the advice ladies...i never thought of charging anyone for doing hair because i feel like i am not a &#39;real&#39; beautician and that is not where my bread and butter comes from. but i think the bartering system may work - i have had my eye on a few of the things in my sisters apartment... ;)

...but seriously, i am not so good at telling people no when i feel like what they are asking isn&#39;t too unreasonable. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO FAMILY...

i ALMOST NEVER tell them no to anything. it kinda makes me feel guilty :dunno: ... even when i am not feeling well, i still find myself doing favors and running errands for people. i would hate to think i am being taken advantage of just because i am a stay at home mom...(i am getting a little better at it though)

so maybe i can try a little of everyone&#39;s suggestions by first trying to teach her to do it herself and then if that doesn&#39;t work, i can get either a couple of dollars from her or we can make a trade off of a night of baby sitting or something. :dunno:

verse18
09-08-2005, 04:45 PM
No one else in my family is napptural, but my little sister is transitioning. She asked me to cut off her ends (unfortunately, I couldn&#39;t convince her to BC). I am the most hair do challenged person you will ever meet and cutting and styling permed hair is not my forte, but the cut actually turned out pretty good. Whew!