PDA

View Full Version : Has Anything Changed?

tran68
09-09-2005, 04:40 PM
In the wake of hurricane Katrina I thought about what would happen to my family in the event of a disaster?? :dunno: For one thing I don't keep cash on me - my bf gets on me about that ALL the time - or in a regular savings account so if there was no ATM access or the stores weren't taking credit cards we'd be **** out! :( ING rates have risen so high I keep my "mad money" there so it's earning interest but if I can't get online and make the transfer..... :icon_headshake: so I know I need to keep a certain dollar amount, maybe in the safe or on my person.

I also thought about my homeowner's insurance, long term disablity coverage, etc.....I'm usually pretty good about those things but I have to say I had to look at everything again since this tragedy struck.

Lauren6849
09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I think that those are excellent questions. I hadn't thought about but I don't keep much cash on hand either. I have packed an emergency bag but I probably need to keep a couple of twenties in the bag. Several friends said that stores in their areas opened but would only take cash so I'da been a hungry woman wouldn't I?

I have decided to stop letting my car get almost empty before filling up. I used to fill up when the little light came on; now I'm going to do it at 1/4 tank.

I don't have flood insurance but I don't live near a flood plain either. But that doesn't mean that there won't ever be record rains.

mama-mia
09-12-2005, 09:28 PM
I immediately put my self in the average Gulf Coast person's shoes. I JUST started working again. I, in the past, lived paycheck to paycheck and my car is on it's last leg! Realistically I would have been screwed if I were in the same fix!!!

I am very serious about getting my financial self together because only God knows how we will be challenged. Right now I am in the process of paying off my debt (excluding my student loans) afterwhich my next goal is to get my emergency funds and my nest egg in addition to helping my parents financially.

This has been a wake up call for my spiritually and financially.

bluvember
09-13-2005, 01:58 AM
I still have a hard time keeping any significant(over $30) amount of cash on me. I just can't get over that feeling that i'll lose it somehow.

My latest mind trick, believe it or not, is to stick a wad of cash in my bra. ^_^ So far its working. I tend to not wear many pants with pockets, so it just happened one day. I just have to keep reminding myself to "pocket" any money in private. :doh